The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Random new GNR album thought...

After listening to today's new batch of Selects, it sort of dawned on me that we could totally see *at least* 1 song from Chinese Democracy, most likely Better, to be reworked with Slash & Duff for the album.  I'd actually be surprised to *not* see it.  Sort of like what Aerosmith did with "Let the Music Do The Talking" when they reunited in 85, which for those who don't know was an 'Joe Perry Project' single from he went solo.   And ya know what? I'd totally dig it if they did.

23 minutes ago, Rovim said:

fuck I hope not. Axl has released 15 new songs in 30 years. It would be 1 less new song for us to listen to. I think it needs to be all new material without bullshit reworkings or covers. Axl can always do that outside of an album if he really wants to.

You’re not wrong, but it would be very on-brand for it to happen. 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sofine11 said:

After listening to today's new batch of Selects, it sort of dawned on me that we could totally see *at least* 1 song from Chinese Democracy, most likely Better, to be reworked with Slash & Duff for the album.  I'd actually be surprised to *not* see it.  Sort of like what Aerosmith did with "Let the Music Do The Talking" when they reunited in 85, which for those who don't know was an 'Joe Perry Project' single from he went solo.   And ya know what? I'd totally dig it if they did.

I would totally be down with a rerecorded CD and Better, maybe as a separate single or something like that. A studio version of the Seeker would be cool too.

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I would totally be down with a rerecorded CD and Better, maybe as a separate single or something like that. A studio version of the Seeker would be cool too.

Something like that should be b-sides or bonus tracks really. Otherwise it would be just another way to disappoint.

Imagine there is finally a new 12 track album, you look at the track list and there's Better, The Seeker, Hardschool, Chinese Democracy...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sofine11 said:

57 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

39 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Something like that should be b-sides or bonus tracks really. Otherwise it would be just another way to disappoint.

Imagine there is finally a new 12 track album, you look at the track list and there's Better, The Seeker, Hardschool, Chinese Democracy...

Yeah - I’d be fine if they were b-sides. Better ‘21 or something….other bands have done this too.

Edited by DTJ80

I still reckon a covers album would have a been a good idea, probably a couple of years ago. Would have been a good way to get then in a studio together without you much pressure.

The moment has passed for that though now- it would go down like a lead balloon after so long of touring NITL. 

• Like 2

If they re-work anything released on Chinese instead of new material, I will be pissed. By all means, use a live recording as a B side, but why spend time on reworking on what is already out there instead of tinkering with whatever else Axl has at his disposal?! 

The opinions of a man who was totally in favor of a re-recorded Appetite for Destruction getting released :lol:

At this point I, as in 13 since the last GNR release, I think it’s hilarious when I see people say that they’d be “pissed” if certain songs and/or covers appeared on a hypothetical next album. Fuck, I’ll just be thrilled that a physical release became a reality. Some people are…funny.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

At this point I, as in 13 since the last GNR release, I think it’s hilarious when I see people say that they’d be “pissed” if certain songs and/or covers appeared on a hypothetical next album. Fuck, I’ll just be thrilled that a physical release became a reality. Some people are…funny.

You had a physical release with the Appetite for Democracy release along with a couple of reissues of Appetite and the Greatest Hits compilation. "Complaints, complaints, complaints..."

In all seriousness, you do you. I would find it extremely odd that a much anticipated release of New GNR material would consist of a few tunes along with reworked Chinese material released in 2008. It would be totally pointless and surely I can't be the only one who would think that.

What a fantastic idea... release a re-recorded version of Chinese Democracy with the current lineup! I'm more pissed I didn't think of this earlier!!! Hopefully one of the engineers can splice together a few chords from the Appetite sessions into the same sequence as a Chinese song and drop them into the mix. Slightly nervous about Melissa's subbass parts though. Should they maybe just use Chris's original parts? What about Axl's vocals... use the existing recordings or comb the vaults for different takes? Perhaps a mix of 1998, 2002 and 2006 tracks? Think it would be cool for Richard to play Bumblefoot's parts with a 2006 Robin slant but still with his own style. This would be epic!

6 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

What a fantastic idea... release a re-recorded version of Chinese Democracy with the current lineup! I'm more pissed I didn't think of this earlier!!! Hopefully one of the engineers can splice together a few chords from the Appetite sessions into the same sequence as a Chinese song and drop them into the mix. Slightly nervous about Melissa's subbass parts though. Should they maybe just use Chris's original parts? What about Axl's vocals... use the existing recordings or comb the vaults for different takes? Perhaps a mix of 1998, 2002 and 2006 tracks? Think it would be cool for Richard to play Bumblefoot's parts with a 2006 Robin slant but still with his own style. This would be epic!

Mate - if it led to a kick-ass album I wouldn’t care a jot. 🤣

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, sofine11 said:

This would piss me off. We waited so long for new music and then we get a reworked version of a song that came out in 2008. It would be so on-brand for GNR to do something like that.

Now, if they released a "Chinese Democracy Live Era" type of thing, or "Not in This Lifetime" live disc, I'd be fully on board. 

Edit: My favorite Chicago breweries are Half Acre and Hop Butcher for the World. Hop Butcher will open their first taproom this fall. They're actually taking over Half Acre's Lincoln Ave. location.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

This would piss me off. We waited so long for new music and then we get a reworked version of a song that came out in 2008. It would be so on-brand for GNR to do something like that.

Now, if they released a "Chinese Democracy Live Era" type of thing, or "Not in This Lifetime" live disc, I'd be fully on board. 

How about live backing tracks from all the CD era songs played live in the past few years, with Axl to overdub new vocals, or use vocal tracks from the 90s/00s. Slash and Richard can overdub some new guitar parts. Duff's live bass tracks are likely okay. Sounds like it could work. 

As I was listening to Libertad in the car the other day... I thought how cool would it be for a Velvet Revolver greatest hits album, (with the best of both albums, and including the iTunes bonus track Messages for the love of God) in addition to a new song with Matt, Duff, Slash, and Axl on vocals written in honor of Scott.

How cool would that be?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

As I was listening to Libertad in the car the other day... I thought how cool would it be for a Velvet Revolver greatest hits album, (with the best of both albums, and including the iTunes bonus track Messages for the love of God) in addition to a new song with Matt, Duff, Slash, and Axl on vocals written in honor of Scott.

How cool would that be?

You can't do a greatest hits after 2 albums.

39 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

How cool would that be?

Sounds like a total rip-off to me! One bonus track and one new one? Who on earth would want to pay album price for that? 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:20 PM, sofine11 said:

Might be fine as a B-side, but not as an album track.

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

How cool would that be?

Hmmm. It's not unherd of for bands with tiny back catalogues to release 'hits' compilations.

By any chance does VR still exist in any form? And if so do they owe their record label anything?

I guess that the answers to both of these questions is 'no'.

The only way a VR compilation would ever be released would be as a contractual obligation to their label. 

And really, how many people would care about them enough to buy it? Not many.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, sofine11 said:

We’ve had enough recordings of Better already as is. I know only one of those was officially released, but still!