The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, Blackstar said:

The General has vocals. We don't need an "insider" to know that. It's clear from that cell phone recording, plus Axl wouldn't play a song with scratch vocals at a party with models.

It's also safe to assume that all "CD 2" has vocals.

It's not even safe to assume there id a CD 2 in my opinion.

Their new single is 'Silkworms' and he hasn't even recorded a new vocal!

The song was universally hated 21 years ago, it's no better now.

I don't think he picked it because it was good.  I think he picked it because it's one of about 3 left that he has recorded 'completed' vocals on (Silkwoms, Perhaps, Atlas).  

Maybe The General was finished.

State of Grace and Quick Song weren't final vocal and I'd guess they haven't been touched since.  I'd also bet he never did the Oklahoma/Berlin vocal.

2 minutes ago, hollywood_democracy said:

I wouldn't say it's "proof" of anything. Of course, it wouldn't be illogical to think that it's all we'll get. I'm on the fence myself.

Logically, it would be they released this track to begin hype for a new album— but why this mediocre song? Maybe it was all they had ready and wanted to begin advertising. But like was said before, this is Gn'R and logic goes out the window.

Also, you're assuming that Axl hasn't done ANYTHING since those 2000 leaks. We know he did because some of the tracks that made it on CD are much newer. And I'm not defending Axl. I'm as disappointed as anyone else with the lack of releases. But I think his issue is more his incessant tinkering and insecurity than his lack of re-doing vocals. 

I'm sure there are plenty of other vocal tracks - it's just a matter of whether Axl will get over his fears and insecurities and give us something completely new. So far, the outlook isn't great. Of all the songs we could've got and he could have released as a single and "debut" (or re-debut) live, Silkworms? Hmmmm... I can't see how Slash and Duff could've thought, "Yeah! Let's release Silkworms, everyone will love it!"

You're right, it's not proof.

I'm just saying, to me it points to Rose doing no further vocal recording - choosing to release a 20 year old song that we all hated just because he's already finished the vocals.

I could be wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pele said:

It's not even safe to assume there id a CD 2 in my opinion.

Their new single is 'Silkworms' and he hasn't even recorded a new vocal!

The song was universally hated 21 years ago, it's no better now.

I don't think he picked it because it was good.  I think he picked it because it's one of about 3 left that he has recorded 'completed' vocals on (Silkwoms, Perhaps, Atlas).  

Maybe The General was finished.

State of Grace and Quick Song weren't final vocal and I'd guess they haven't been touched since.  I'd also bet he never did the Oklahoma/Berlin vocal.

There are other potential reasons he picked Silkworms except the two you mentioned.

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There are other potential reasons he picked Silkworms except the two you mentioned.

Could be.

Maybe he just likes it.

I think the main reason it was 'picked' is because he didn't have to write lyrics and record vocals.

2 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

Then again, considering Slash's affinity to all things weird and Duff being Punk as Fuck™, they too might have gotten a big kick out of releasing such a non-Gn'R -sounding song as the first "new" song by the reunion lineup :shrugs:

Maybe.

More likely they were told by Rose that this is the song, because it's one of about 3 that he doesn't need to finish lyrics and re-record vocal.

13 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Didn't Frank say on Brando's podcast that the next album would be a bit more heavier/punky? Or am i misremembering? If so, Absurd could totally fit on the new album alongside other songs like Hardschool, Oh My God or The General (if Sebastian Bach is to be believed about how heavy it is, lol).

Yeah, and Rose has been saying for 20 years the second album was more experimental.

But this was nearly 2 decades ago, when they were an active band.

I think the trilogy idea is long gone now and he might cobble together some 'new' songs with existing vocals.  Not enough for an album, probably just a few more of these singles.

Another likely scenario is nothing else comes of it, like the 10 year wait after Oh My God 

Edited by Pele

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

Whatever happens, the new album will have that "posthumous" feel to it.

It'll have old Axl's voice, new Axl's voice, some old instruments, some new ones. Some songs are 20 and some might be only 2 years old.

As long as it kicks ass, I'm down. I'm just hoping for half a dozen new songs that Slash and Duff have actually helped write. Not getting my hopes up though. A big advantaged to having not heard a lot of the leaks after the tracks for CD is that it will all seem new to me. I still think I'd definitely be able to tell if it has a huge "CD II" vibe or not though. I just want some damn rock and roll music. I do like Chinese Democracy for what it is. It's a great Axl solo album. He's a fool for not promoting it as such, the response would have been much more favorable and in the history books. Plus, it would have made him seem stronger to drop the name and do it by his own name, instead of coming off as petty about keeping it as "his band". But you know, Axl gonna Axl.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 3

Guys, I have this incredibly crazy theory, I dunno, you might think I'm insane, but... apparently musicians do this thing where 34 years after their debut album, massive musical success, many bands and albums, and a very long, accomplished career with quite a few stints as  the world's top band... And you'll think I'm crazy... but it's almost as if they're not the same people they were when they wrote AFD? I know, right? Impossible to imagine. Shocking even. I'd even say absurd *wink*.

We all know people *never* change, and success, both musical and financial, and extreme levels of fame have *never* changed anyone. As a matter of fact I find it shocking that anyone would ever DARE to change their preferences, musical vision, ideas, and *gasp* have to adapt to their age. I mean come on, you're all the same person you were when you were 15, right? It's not like since then you've experienced things that have changed your life, world view, got a career, family, friends and changed your outlook on life... Even worse, can you imagine the audacity of some people!? Some people EXPAND their musical preferences and listen to and are influenced by different music than they were a couple of decades ago. I know, it's a shocking, crazy theory. Hard to imagine. We all know we should Expect a bunch of extremely successful men who are almost 60 to record music the exact same way, with the exact same anger, energy and message as they did when they were half-homeless street kids at the age of 25. And shocking as it may be, a band has decided to not follow *your exact* vision of what they should want and how they should express themselves! We should probably sue them as a group. How dare they have a free will?

Musicians have it hard. So many expectations, so many complaints. I wonder if painters have to go through this too...

Ok, it was an odd choice, but when have they ever cared about what people expect of them? Didn't they get recognized as the kings of rebellion and "street wise" back in the day? Well what's this, they released a non-radio, crazy, old angry song with members who haven't been in the band for 16 years featuring vocals which were probably recorded 22 years ago... talk about *not giving in to people's expectations*? Like they did... when they were young?

*yes I know I'm a sarcastic asshole sometimes... having experienced the same stupid expectations and we own you attitude in a past life, I can relate to them. I'm sure we have quite a few musicians on the forum who will understand.*

I still really want this album, EP, whatever the hell it's gonna be. I also want a live boxset of the best shows from each year of the NITL tour.

Edit: What I mean is... "Slash said this in 1995, Axl said that in 1999... bla bla bla..." Slash was a barely functioning addict and Axl was working out many issues in his life, none of what they said back then is relevant. Maybe Slash now loves this track? We'll never know.

Edited by bassplayer1993
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

As long as it kicks ass, I'm down. I'm just hoping for half a dozen new songs that Slash and Duff have actually helped write. Not getting my hopes up though. A big advantaged to having not heard a lot of the leaks after the tracks for CD is that it will all seem new to me. I still think I'd definitely be able to tell if it has a huge "CD II" vibe or not though. I just want some damn rock and roll music. I do like Chinese Democracy for what it is. It's a great Axl solo album. He's a fool for not promoting it as such, the response would have been much more favorable and in the history books. Plus, it would have made him seem stronger to drop the name and do it by his own name, instead of coming off as petty about keeping it as "his band". But you know, Axl gonna Axl.

Totally agree with this. I want the exact same thing. I even regret hearing the leaks at times, I'm afraid they killed a bit of the excitement, as we possibly may know the contents of the upcoming release, in a much earlier and less finished form. I hope there's new stuff there and that apart from the CD leftovers they really did put some effort into it. Absurd is so absurd it's hard to have an opinion about it right now.

37 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I believe Slash will definitely put his stamp all over any songs he had no involvement in writing to "compensate" for that basically. Look how Estranged was made, I believe Estranged was written by Axl and when Slash heard it, he just put his thoughts over it and that's all it took to make that song epic. Nothing speaks against that happening again, with this older CD material. I'd too like some newer material though, I just want to see Axl sing over some Slash songs again. A new album with a balance of these 2 would make an awesome album.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Guys, I have this incredibly crazy theory, I dunno, you might think I'm insane, but... apparently musicians do this thing where 34 years after their debut album, massive musical success, many bands and albums, and a very long, accomplished career with quite a few stints as  the world's top band... And you'll think I'm crazy... but it's almost as if they're not the same people they were when they wrote AFD? I know, right? Impossible to imagine. Shocking even. I'd even say absurd *wink*.

We all know people *never* change, and success, both musical and financial, and extreme levels of fame have *never* changed anyone. As a matter of fact I find it shocking that anyone would ever DARE to change their preferences, musical vision, ideas, and *gasp* have to adapt to their age. I mean come on, you're all the same person you were when you were 15, right? It's not like since then you've experienced things that have changed your life, world view, got a career, family, friends and changed your outlook on life... Even worse, can you imagine the audacity of some people!? Some people EXPAND their musical preferences and listen to and are influenced by different music than they were a couple of decades ago. I know, it's a shocking, crazy theory. Hard to imagine. We all know we should Expect a bunch of extremely successful men who are almost 60 to record music the exact same way, with the exact same anger, energy and message as they did when they were half-homeless street kids at the age of 25. And shocking as it may be, a band has decided to not follow *your exact* vision of what they should want and how they should express themselves! We should probably sue them as a group. How dare they have a free will?

Musicians have it hard. So many expectations, so many complaints. I wonder if painters have to go through this too...

Ok, it was an odd choice, but when have they ever cared about what people expect of them? Didn't they get recognized as the kings of rebellion and "street wise" back in the day? Well what's this, they released a non-radio, crazy, old angry song with members who haven't been in the band for 16 years featuring vocals which were probably recorded 22 years ago... talk about *not giving in to people's expectations*? Like they did... when they were young?

*yes I know I'm a sarcastic asshole sometimes... having experienced the same stupid expectations and we own you attitude in a past life, I can relate to them. I'm sure we have quite a few musicians on the forum who will understand.*

I still really want this album, EP, whatever the hell it's gonna be. I also want a live boxset of the best shows from each year of the NITL tour.

Edit: What I mean is... "Slash said this in 1995, Axl said that in 1999... bla bla bla..." Slash was a barely functioning addict and Axl was working out many issues in his life, none of what they said back then is relevant. Maybe Slash now loves this track? We'll never know.

you're right. Do you remember when the band released illusions? - what did some people say? it's not like GNR. This music- especially the ballads don'tsound like GNR because they were expecting the second AFD. I believe that their musical tastes have not changed that much, especially Axl's. They have changed as people . they are definitely mature guys now who didn't think they would live to this age. And I'm waiting for new songs, whatever it is. CHD didn't live up to my expectations, but HEY- I'm still here. it was my decision, but each of us can make a different one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pele said:

I agree.

In fact, I think it's proof we won't.

I think they released that because it's one of the few he could get everyone else to work on without redoing any of his own parts.

State of Grace would need a new vocal take with the lyrics finished - so it's unlikely we'll hear that.

Maybe he'll put out Hardskool and Perhaps, then I think that will be it.  Vault emptied (unless you count instrumentals which had absolutely no input from Rose).

Maybe The General, however it's likely that that has 'scratch vocals'.  WFA claims that The General is actually is State of Grace and Evaders mix is inaccurate - say what you wan't about WFA but they had a real knack for getting inside info.

What/Who is WFA?

State of Grace doesn’t really fit the profile of The General (insomuch as what we know about it’s subject matter Etc).

And with regards to vocals…ultimately NO-ONE knows how much has been done recently or what is in the vault. I’m sure this was something that @Dean has said before and I fully agree…..if they want to use 20 year old vocal recordings then absolutely they should - why wouldn’t we want to hear the very best vocals on the next release if he was recorded when he was in top-top shape? And truthfully, most folk won’t even know hen the stuff was recorded….just us saddos!

A new release has to happen….everything that has been said in regards to working on stuff etc has been validated by this release IMO. Worst case an EP but if they are using CD stuff as the basis then we know there is loads of material as per the Village Leaks (and that’s just what we know about).

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

What/Who is WFA?

State of Grace doesn’t really fit the profile of The General (insomuch as what we know about it’s subject matter Etc).

And with regards to vocals…ultimately NO-ONE knows how much has been done recently or what is in the vault. I’m sure this was something that @Dean has said before and I fully agree…..if they want to use 20 year old vocal recordings then absolutely they should - why wouldn’t we want to hear the very best vocals on the next release if he was recorded when he was in top-top shape? And truthfully, most folk won’t even know hen the stuff was recorded….just us saddos!

A new release has to happen….everything that has been said in regards to working on stuff etc has been validated by this release IMO.

Banned member, and disciple of the most infamous banned member so we shouldn't really discuss them.  However, given their absolute obsession over this band and their love of being 'insiders', they are rarely wrong when they make statements like this.

I agree though, they appear to be two separate songs to me.

You're right.  We don't know what is or isn't recorded, and I've no objection in using existing vocal takes.

I think the song is dreadful and I believe it was picked because it's one of 2-3 songs with usable vocal takes which meant he was able to 'release a single' without having to actually write lyrics or record anything himself.  This single may or may not have been contractually obligated to the tour promoter to help boost sales in the second leg of the tour.

I hope I'm wrong and we get a load of new songs.

I predict we'll either get nothing else - or HardSkool (with 20 year old vocal and Slash solo pasted over), or Atlas  (with 20 year old vocal and Slash solo pasted over).

I don't think we'll hear State of Grace as that will require him finishing the words and actually singing them.

Edited by Pele

7 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I saw the live footage and you can't tell me that Slash wasn't excited about playing the song. 

Slash always looks SO much more excited doing stuff he hasn't played a million times. It's really really noticeable I think. That's kind of why I thought The Seeker got unfair criticisms- it had a lot of energy as it was new to him. 

He can pretty much sleepwalk through the likes of SCOM, November Rain, KOHD etc, but the ones he hasn't played so often seem to fire him up. 

• Like 1

What do you mean "State of grace" needs new vocals?

"HAWADABEEDA DA SHEEEEBA HHABABABABA DABA DABUDAAAA

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH AAAAAH OOOOOOO"

Is the perfect lyric. I might even say it's among the top 100 best GNR lyrics.

I seriously hope it was finished and we'll hear it pre-reunion. I love that song.

• Haha 2