The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

16 minutes ago, Pele said:

No, but it's a pretty poor song that the fan base didn't like 20 years ago.

It would be completely understandable if he released a really good song with a great vocal that was old.

But Silkworms? 

Like I say, either he thinks Silkworms is the best song to come back with, or he gave them a song where he didn't have to do any additional work himself.

I'm not sure which is worse tbh.

Let's rid ourselves of the notion that the song is objectively bad. It is doing okay on the charts, gets some positive reviews, and much more likes than dislikes on YT. It is entirely possible that Axl thinks it is a great song (the fact that it has been worked on so many times also suggests this) . It is also entirely possible that Axl just thinks of it as an okay song but for some reasons thinks it is perfect to start the new era. 

I don't understand the people who want the AfD5 back. That wouldnt change a damn thing. 

Axl is so determined to release CDII that he would do that with any line-up. He would also keep the two keyboardists for any line-up. That's how I see it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I don't understand the people who want the AfD5 back. That wouldnt change a damn thing. 

Axl is so determined to release CDII that he would do that with any line-up. He would also keep the two keyboardists for any line-up. That's how I see it. 

Keep AFD5 special and leave it in the past. I have no doubt that we'd eventually be disappointed because either Axl can't sing how we want, the setlist is too stiff or we want the band to record... and of Axl goes in to the studio he obviously intends on following on from where he left off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Keep AFD5 special and leave it in the past. I have no doubt that we'd eventually be disappointed because either Axl can't sing how we want, the setlist is too stiff or we want the band to record... and of Axl goes in to the studio he obviously intends on following on from where he left off. 

Axl views everything as a continuation ot the last 20 years and that would also include a reunion of the AfD or UYI line-up.

The only difference with songs like Silkworms would be the inclusion of Izzy and maybe Steven (since they used Brain's drum track). 

Edited by Sosso

There will be a new album but how i see it now is they will finish the tour and then drop a new album new stage arrangement and hit the road again too promote it  but they will throw a few bones too the fans new songs but I think they will be out take tracks not actually songs on the new album or maybe 2 at the most  they need something fresh next time out on tour and that’s the driver new album bam “ new tour  

29 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Let's rid ourselves of the notion that the song is objectively bad. It is doing okay on the charts, gets some positive reviews, and much more likes than dislikes on YT. It is entirely possible that Axl thinks it is a great song (the fact that it has been worked on so many times also suggests this) . It is also entirely possible that Axl just thinks of it as an okay song but for some reasons thinks it is perfect to start the new era. 

I think that's a worry for a lot of people.

If Rose thinks Silkworms is a great song, then there isn't much hope for the rest of the tracks.

I never bought into 'the vault' with all these unreleased great songs, when utter garbage like Silkworms and Scraped has been recorded.

I'd say the Village leaks pretty much emptied the vault, and it was ChiDem, plus Atlas/Perhaps/State of Grace.  The rest were instrumental demos, likely written/recorded by the band with no input from Rose.

Not sure where 'The General' fits in.  Maybe that's ok but I'd say it's unlikely to be above average.

State of Grace surprised me but it's unfinished.  Perhaps was ok.  Atlas was pretty poor.

I'd suggest he was absolutely nowhere near close to 3 albums.  He had ChiDem, and he held back SOG, Atlas and Perhaps for CD2, with the intention to do something with Quick Song, Oklahoma etc and write more stuff (which outside of The General probably didn't happen - and Brain said he wrote that).

They were so low on material, that songs like Scraped and Riad were on the album 1 and OMG and Silkworms were likely considered.

I think the well is so dry at this point, they've had no choice but to release Silkworms as there is nothing else (apart from Atlas, Perhaps and HardSkool) ready.

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pele said:

I think that's a worry for a lot of people.

If Rose thinks Silkworms is a great song, then there isn't much hope for the rest of the tracks.

I never bought into 'the vault' with all these unreleased great songs, when utter garbage like Silkworms and Scraped has been recorded.

I'd say the Village leaks pretty much emptied the vault, and it was ChiDem, plus Atlas/Perhaps.State of Grace.  The rest were instrumental demos, likely written/recorded by the band with no input from Rose.

Not sure where 'The General' fits in.  Maybe that's ok but I'd say it's unlikely to be above average.

State of Grace surprised me but it's unfinished.  Perhaps was ok.  Atlas was pretty bad.

I'd suggest he was absolutely nowhere near close to 3 albums.  He had ChiDem, and he held back SOG, Atlas and Perhaps for CD2, with the intention to do something with Quick Song, Oklahoma etc and write more stuff (which outside of The General probably didn't happen - and Brain said he wrote that).

They were so low on material, that songs like Scraped and Riad were on the album and OMG and Silkworms were likely considered.

I think the well is so dry at this point, they've had no choice but to release Silkworms as there is nothing else (apart from Atlas, Perhaps and HardSkool) ready.

Never understood how people like you think. Demos from '99/'00 leaking means From '01-'14 absolutely nothing was done because the '08 release had songs on it you don't personally like? Lol 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Never understood how people like you think. Demos from '99/'00 leaking means From '01-'14 absolutely nothing was done because the '08 release had songs on it you don't personally like? Lol 

And what, you think he's got a load of great songs up his sleeve despite never ever releasing music?

He's just released a new single.

Guess what - it's a song from those 99/00 demos that nobody liked first time around.  

Are you genuinely expecting to hear vocals for Quick Song, Berlin, Tonto, Cuban Skies, Soulmonster, PRL with Thyme, Zodiac etc???

At best, I think you'll hear OMG, Atlas and Perhaps with Slash.  Honestly wouldn't be surpised if Rock the Rock completed the EP. 

It's also worth pointing out the 08 release almost exclusively contained vocals from those 99/00 sessions.  Just like the new single does.

Edited by Pele

25 minutes ago, Deadeose said:

There will be a new album but how i see it now is they will finish the tour and then drop a new album new stage arrangement and hit the road again too promote it  but they will throw a few bones too the fans new songs but I think they will be out take tracks not actually songs on the new album or maybe 2 at the most  they need something fresh next time out on tour and that’s the driver new album bam “ new tour  

I'd be happy with that tbh! Two songs that are new that aren't making the final 8-14 tracks, sounds good to me especially if they are officialy released mixed / mastered.

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

And what, you think he's got a load of great songs up his sleeve despite never ever releasing music?

He's just released a new single.

Guess what - it's a song from those 99/00 demos that nobody liked first time around.  

Are you genuinely expecting to hear vocals for Quick Song, Berlin, Tonto, Cuban Skies, Soulmonster, PRL with Thyme, Zodiac etc???

At best, I think you'll hear OMG, Atlas and Perhaps with Slash.  Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rock the Rock completed the EP lol.

Axl isn't going to just release and EP. Axl probably has his opinion on releases but I'd guess he still believes in a LPs

Just now, Tom2112 said:

Axl isn't going to just release and EP. Axl probably has his opinion on releases but I'd guess he still believes in a LPs

Axl sees GN'R as an album band and not as a hit single band. 

Just now, Tom2112 said:

I don't even think he'll bother releasing an EP.

My best guess is this is the last thing he'll release, or we might get one more single (which will be 100% a song with the 99/00 vocals)

I don't think we'll get an LP.

If we do get an EP, it will contain HardSkool, Silkworms, Atlas, Perhaps and that cover of Light My Fire.  Maybe The General if vocals were in a finished state.

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Axl sees GN'R as an album band and not as a hit single band. 

If that were the case, he'd release albums.

He's released ONE album in about 25 years, in 2008 which comprised of songs he wrote/sung years almost a decade prior during an unusually enthusiastic period when he was in his late thirties.

He's still releasing songs from that very same period.

Edited by Pele

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

I don't even think he'll bother releasing an EP.

My best guess is this is the last thing he'll release, or we might get one more single (which will be 100% a song with the 99/00 vocals)

I don't think we'll get an LP.

If we do get an EP, it will contain HardSkool, Silkworms, Atlas, Perhaps and that cover of Light My Fire.  Maybe The General if vocals were in a finished state.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. I mean, I was sure that they wouldnt release a single song for the next five years but they came with Absurd. 

"Expect the unexpected" - Bumblefoot 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

State of Grace will have been finished. I don't think any of the Village sessions surpass 2001. Axl was still laying down vocals as late as 2007 for Chinese material.  Elvis Presley & the Monster of Soul, as an example, was recorded Christmas eve 2004. I'd say it's a safe bet that the guide vocals Axl recorded for State of Grace will have been replaced with audible lyrics!

How do we know the Soul Monster vocals were done in 2004 again? I know there’s a reason but I keep forgetting what it is.

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

I wouldnt be so sure about that. I mean, I was sure that they wouldnt release a single song for the next five years but they came with Absurd. 

"Expect the unexpected" - Bumblefoot 

Yeah but that's my point.

They did a song which required no additional lyrics/vocals from Rose.

I didn't expect Silkworms either - but if someone was to ask me what would the next single be, I'd have said either HardSkool, Perhaps or Atlas with a Slash solo pasted over the original vocals.  Instead, we got Silkworms.

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

How do we know the Soul Monster vocals were done in 2004 again? I know there’s a reason but I keep forgetting what it is.

He said it in chat.  Nobody has heard it.

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah but that's my point.

They did a song which required no additional lyrics/vocals from Rose.

I didn't expect Silkworms either - but if someone was to ask me what would the next single be, I'd have said either HardSkool, Perhaps or Atlas with a Slash solo pasted over the original vocals.  Instead, we got Silkworms.

I wouldn't see that as a sign of laziness. None of the songs from CD (Instrumentals excluded) would need new vocals. Axl is pragmatic and not lazy. 

Edited by Sosso

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

I wouldn't see that as a sign of lazyness. None of the songs from CD (Instrumentals excluded) would need new vocals. Axl is pragmatic and not lazy. 

I 100% see it as a sign of laziness.

It's Silkworms.

It's not picked because it's a great song that we all love!  It was picked because it required no further work on his part.

• Like 1

The Axl online chats are from 2008. So when Axl mentioned recording soul monster vocals during Christmas, if he meant the one that had just passed, then he meant 2007, not 2004.

we know he recorded the Shackler’s vocals in 2007, cause he said it was about the VTech massacre, so it’s not too much of a stretch to assume he recorded other songs during that time as well.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 minutes ago, Pele said:

I 100% see it as a sign of laziness.

It's Silkworms.

It's not picked because it's a great song that we all love!  It was picked because it required no further work on his part.

You missed my point. He wouldnt rerecord ANY new vocals for CDII songs because they are not required. However, I believe that he would record new vocals for CDII instrumentals or new songs with Slash and Duff. 

Edited by Sosso