The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

29 minutes ago, Axl S said:

It would be funnier if we all just said who The Chairman was.

Also the physical releases of the SINGLE shipping in February and June aren't a release. This digital and streaming rollout with banner ads on social media and billboards in Time Square is the release. The pre-order sales and shipment of a physical product is for hardcore fans. Only hardcore fans are buying a single on CD, 7" or Casette in 2021 - it's more like niche merch for fans than a release of music. The release of music is what's happening right now. Those products not shipping until February & June means nothing.

If an album were to launch in December, you won't be holding a CD until a few weeks later and a vinyl until a few months later. That's how things work for almost all artists these days. Those products end up in the hands of people who want them once the release is over.

I bet SMKC won't have any problems publishing their physical records on time.

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Does the radio edit sound better? I keep seeing different people saying it’s a different mix - but haven’t heard it on the bloody radio to confirm!

I know it’s edited to be shortened but wonder if the mix is actually different/better?

Can't say, haven't heard it either...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I bet SMKC won't have any problems publishing their physical records on time.

Single or album?

I can't think of any artist this year who has done a physical album release alongside the release day of the album online. Also, much easier to do for albums where you will sell through retail, where you will predict demand and buy accordingly - not easy for a niche 7" where it's likely a one and done print run just for those who put in orders.

18 minutes ago, Axl S said:

Single or album?

I can't think of any artist this year who has done a physical album release alongside the release day of the album online. Also, much easier to do for albums where you will sell through retail, where you will predict demand and buy accordingly - not easy for a niche 7" where it's likely a one and done print run just for those who put in orders.

Jerry Cantrell did, and Duff plays on his album lol

26 minutes ago, Axl S said:

Single or album?

Full album. GNR doesn’t sell HS only as 7" Vinyl.

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Does the radio edit sound better? I keep seeing different people saying it’s a different mix - but haven’t heard it on the bloody radio to confirm!

I know it’s edited to be shortened but wonder if the mix is actually different/better?

I have not heard it played on any radio station at all! Thought maybe PlanetRock would play it but haven't heard it. So can't answer that question. I've certainly not heard many folk talking about it. None of my music pals were all that interested. Listened to Hard Skool once and all went... "aye, it's not dreadful." Nobody liked Absurd though. 

6 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I have not heard it played on any radio station at all! Thought maybe PlanetRock would play it but haven't heard it. So can't answer that question. I've certainly not heard many folk talking about it. None of my music pals were all that interested. Listened to Hard Skool once and all went... "aye, it's not dreadful." Nobody liked Absurd though. 

Like a saddo - I have checked the Planet Rock playlist each day…played once last Friday. That’s it. Deserves more airings than that!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's what I'm referring to.

Oh right. Well I find it kind of hard to believe, because Slash is releasing an SMKC album in early 2022. I can't really see a new GNR album coming out before that and being "overshadowed" by that release in a way, especially when Guns only start touring like 6 months after that supposed December date. Since HS didn't come with any announcement I have trouble believing we'll see an album by GNR before mid 2022.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Oh right. Well I find it kind of hard to believe, because Slash is releasing an SMKC album in early 2022. I can't really see a new GNR album coming out before that and being "overshadowed" by that release in a way, especially when Guns only start touring like 6 months after that supposed December date. Since HS didn't come with any announcement I have trouble believing we'll see an album by GNR before mid 2022.

Slash albums in general don't sell very well and as Slash said, he releases albums so that he can go on tour. I don't think he minds if his record sells a few thousand copies less especially when his main money source release a record too.

That said, I don't believe it either. With the release of the single(s) a record release by GNR is postponed for quite some time. If anything was planed at all.

Edited by Free Bird

3 hours ago, default_ said:

Jerry Cantrell did, and Duff plays on his album lol

Yeah, a full album. The vinyl doesn't ship until December, orders already taken and the album comes out at end of October with album shipping near end of December.

My point stands, physical releases are occurring months after digital release. GN'R are clearly taking orders on their product now upfront, before going to print with accurate numbers - possibly a lesson learnt from all those AFD boxes they failed to sell.

17 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

So is he referring to a recent interview with Slash? I don't remember him saying anything about it.

I'm sure that interview would have gained traction here. Either the guy knows Slash, or someone associated him with, or (most likely) is full of BS.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hard Skool sounds properly GN'R to me. I get that you don't like the song, but.... 

It just passed a big test for me - my mate is notoriously difficult to please re GNR and was around for the ‘golden years’ and he has just advised he likes it. So that scientific test suggests it really is in a vein of what ‘GNR’ sounds like.

• Haha 4

I’m really pleased the band released Absurd and Hardskool but I genuinely can’t see anything else being released before the middle of 2022.

The comment made re the Aussy shows (which have obviously been postponed to late next year) did it for me…

“Until then, rock out to Hardskool”

Says it all in my view 😉

• Like 1

I work from home, so any music I listen to is either hand-selected or curated on streaming services. I used to listen to the radio exclusively in the car during my commute to and from work. So all that said, I wouldn't know if the local stations in Chicago played "Hard Skool."

Thing is, "modern rock radio" doesn't really exist much these days. The stations that play rock  mostly seem geared toward "classics." So you'll get the handful of big hits from each band. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Paradise City" and "Dirty Deeds" and "Rooster" etc.

Even when Chinese Democracy dropped 13 years ago, the local rock stations played the self-titled track once or twice to announce new GNR music, then went right back to "Sweet Child O' Mine." 

I know Sirius XM has some modern rock stations but I don't have a subscription anymore.

33 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I work from home, so any music I listen to is either hand-selected or curated on streaming services. I used to listen to the radio exclusively in the car during my commute to and from work. So all that said, I wouldn't know if the local stations in Chicago played "Hard Skool."

Thing is, "modern rock radio" doesn't really exist much these days. The stations that play rock  mostly seem geared toward "classics." So you'll get the handful of big hits from each band. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Paradise City" and "Dirty Deeds" and "Rooster" etc.

Even when Chinese Democracy dropped 13 years ago, the local rock stations played the self-titled track once or twice to announce new GNR music, then went right back to "Sweet Child O' Mine." 

I know Sirius XM has some modern rock stations but I don't have a subscription anymore.

The stations that consider themselves "modern rock" are playing Breaking Benjamin and other dated sounding stuff like that.

3 hours ago, Axl S said:

My point stands, physical releases are occurring months after digital release.

Maybe I'm missing a piece of some larger point out of context, but, this just isn't true. 

In the last couple of months, I've received Iron Maiden's Senjutsu, Carcass' Torn Arteries, and River of Nihil's The Work day and date with the release day from Amazon.

There are some lingering vinyl production issues stemming from the pandemic, of course, and, most every band is doing limited edition colored vinyl restricted to a certain number, in order to maximize profits against cost, but, I'd say, by and large, other than some smaller bands who do delayed pressings based on the number of orders, most mainstream bands are not shipping physical releases months after a release date has passed.  

Again, I might be missing your point, but, it's all about capitalizing on the first two weeks of release to the die-hards.  Any later than that, these days, and it's on to the next thing.

Edited by oneway23

13 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Maybe I'm missing a piece of some larger point out of context, but, this just isn't true. 

In the last couple of months, I've received Iron Maiden's Senjutsu, Carcass' Torn Arteries, and River of Nihil's The Work day and date with the release day from Amazon.

There are some lingering vinyl production issues stemming from the pandemic, of course, and, most every band is doing limited edition colored vinyl restricted to a certain number, in order to maximize profits against cost, but, I'd say, by and large, other than some smaller bands who do delayed pressings based on the number of orders, most mainstream bands are not shipping physical releases months after a release date has passed.  

Again, I might be missing your point, but, it's all about capitalizing on the first two weeks of release to the die-hards.  Any later than that, these days, and it's on to the next thing.

How is Carcass’ Torn arteries mate? Any good?