The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

This is turning into what happened when the Stone Roses reformed in 2012. They milked their fans to death with an endless touring cycle with a promise of a new album on the way.

In the end they split up again and the album never came out, and all we got was 2 pretty average songs. Will we even get that with this GNR reunion I wonder?

GNR seriously need to AT LEAST play one or two new songs live in this upcoming 'next chapter' to give fans some proper evidence that new material is being worked on. Otherwise there really should be utter outrage towards the band and management.

Ha it's come down to 2 new songs sounding a lot for a GNR fan. 

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

This is turning into what happened when the Stone Roses reformed in 2012. They milked their fans to death with an endless touring cycle with a promise of a new album on the way.

In the end they split up again and the album never came out, and all we got was 2 pretty average songs. Will we even get that with this GNR reunion I wonder?

GNR seriously need to AT LEAST play one or two new songs live in this upcoming 'next chapter' to give fans some proper evidence that new material is being worked on. Otherwise there really should be utter outrage towards the band and management.

We already have 2 "new" songs. Shadow of Your Love and Rock the Rock. IT'S TIME TO ROCK & ROLL.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Let's look at the silver lining here. We may not get music soon, but we only have to wait another 20 years or so until Axl dies. Then Fernando will inherit his estate and open the vault, guaranteed. Fernando wouldn't be able to contain his excitement for cashing in on Guns N' Roses and Axl Rose.

If that happened, I think all the money you can spend on toy trucks and bags combined wouldn’t be enough for the kind of prices Nando would put on such merchandize...

2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I'm not even really that much of a Stone Roses fan, but to be fair to them, they reformed, and went straight to the studio and DID record. They released two singles, decided they weren't really good enough and canned the project. I respect that quite a lot- they gave it a go and had the self-awareness to work out it wasn't working. Rather than cash in and just release all the stuff they'd recorded anyway they thought it best to leave it. I don't think they especially dangled the carrot of new material- they just made no secret about the fact they were in a studio writing and recording. Which was totally true...that the results weren't good enough is totally fair enough. They'd lost their magic, and they presumably knew it. 

I wouldn't say either that they 'milked their fans to death'. They did a few shows, which seemed to go down well, then split up again as they saw no point continuing. 

Their initial reunion lasted tour just over ONE YEAR , and they did just 50 shows across the world, had a break, did some writing, recording, then did a few last shows in 2016/2017 before going their separate ways. 

Compare that to what GNR are doing.......

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

The thing is if they play new tracks first we're gonna be in that CD situation again where we're hearing live versions and not getting the album versions until a few years later. 

Not necessarily. The same situation was with both Appetite and Illusions – and the record was out that year.

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I personally think the album or any recording is done. I think the band have a different agenda to what UMG do in terms of promotion and releasing. Discussions have stalled either because the band as a whole, or UMG or just axl has issues with how it should be released and cant or wont make a decision.

I really wouldn’t bring anyone into this besides the band themselves. No company is going to stop them from releasing anything. What could they even want to do that GNR doesn’t? Nowadays a label is just a fancy distribution service anyway. It’s not like they have full control over everything that happens.

Only people to blame for not releasing music is the band themselves, and their management. The whole “issues with the label” and “it’s because of the nature of the industry right now” is all just meaningless.

Any band or person can release any song they want at any time. Artists do it. Every. Single. Day.

Slash and Duff release albums for days and then suddenly, they’re in they’re main band and it’s like “How do we do this???”

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

The thing is if they play new tracks first we're gonna be in that CD situation again where we're hearing live versions and not getting the album versions until a few years later. 

The 2001/2002 live versions of Street Of Dreams are a million times better than what was on CD, so maybe it would be best to hear the stuff before a few more years of Axl tinkering.

17 minutes ago, betterman said:

Jarmo still pretty positive about new music in 2020. Lets hope he knows something..

Ha! I’ve just popped in to see how things go there – and I can see it’s still the same broken record round and round like years ago. Same twisting of words, avoiding reaction to real arguments etc. Zero credibility this guy has. I can assure you he will always be pretty positive about basically anything regarding GNR. :lol:

• Like 1

If GUNS wanted to release a record, they could. They are basically holding up the show because everyone knows that after week 1, the legs of the new album are over and done with. They probably just want to milk it for whatever it is worth. That means loads of 4hr meetings and procrastinating, instead of just making a top to bottom great album. End of the day, the record lives or dies on what the fans and critics eventually make of it, and a great marketing promotion doesn't mean fuck all if the album is a pile of shite. 

I think we can safely say GNR will put out a decent record, but at this point they've backed themselves into a corner, not having released anything for 12 years... they could have released something 6yrs ago, and people wouldn't be half as harsh on whatever comes next. Now it'll be CD all over again "12yrs and THIS is what they release?" blah, blah!

I find it difficult to see them releasing anything this year, if they had any definitive plans then Slash wouldn't be so openly pessimistic about the state of a new record. I know he could be bluffing to throw people off the scent or build a buzz, but that just seems crazy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If GUNS wanted to release a record, they could. They are basically holding up the show because everyone knows that after week 1, the legs of the new album are over and done with. They probably just want to milk it for whatever it is worth. That means loads of 4hr meetings and procrastinating, instead of just making a top to bottom great album. End of the day, the record lives or dies on what the fans and critics eventually make of it, and a great marketing promotion doesn't mean fuck all if the album is a pile of shite. 

I think we can safely say GNR will put out a decent record, but at this point they've backed themselves into a corner, not having released anything for 12 years... they could have released something 6yrs ago, and people wouldn't be half as harsh on whatever comes next. Now it'll be CD all over again "12yrs and THIS is what they release?" blah, blah!

I find it difficult to see them releasing anything this year, if they had any definitive plans then Slash wouldn't be so openly pessimistic about the state of a new record. I know he could be bluffing to throw people off the scent or build a buzz, but that just seems crazy.

Im wondering out loud if it all comes to control, where axl wants the record promoted a certain way, and UMG are disagreeing. Or they are wondering what the reception to a new album would be like Tom has wrote above, and the band are getting second thoughts. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im wondering out loud if it all comes to control, where axl wants the record promoted a certain way, and UMG are disagreeing. Or they are wondering what the reception to a new album would be like Tom has wrote above, and the band are getting second thoughts. 

I don't mean this in a shitty way, but I think Axl is still stuck in 1991 as far we record promotion goes. Dude probably has no idea how things are done these days. 

23 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

It’s more about the reality of the music industry in 2020. 

What’s the realistic demand of a new GNR album in 2020? Who’s buying albums and what do those numbers look like for an artist these days? If GNR is going for maximum exposure, are there any alternative ways for a release that go beyond selling physical copies? Do they have that kind of support outside of rehashing Jungle/Paradise City with brand tie ins? 

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't mean this in a shitty way, but I think Axl is still stuck in 1991 as far we record promotion goes. Dude probably has no idea how things are done these days. 

He’s probably overwhelmed by all of the different avenues needed to make an impact. You can’t just release an album into the wild and hope it sells 

Edited by guitarpatch