The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

They are still with UMG. So yes. We just don’t know the specifics of the contract. I’m sure it’s been changed countless times over the years 

There is NO contract in the world that couldn't be extinguished, rescinded, terminated, especially once you've made half a billion dollars and this thing is decades old. I don't buy it. Even if it would cost them, they can do whatever they want, contracts included. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

There is NO contract in the world that couldn't be extinguished, rescinded, terminated, especially once you've made half a billion dollars and this thing is decades old. I don't buy it. Even if it would cost them, they can do whatever they want, contracts included. 

"Sorry guys, I know you're ready to go with the new record and eager to get it out, but we just can't see how we're going to let you put out this album that will make our label loads of money. It's going to take us a long, long, long time to work it out. In the meantime, you guys are going to have just get out there and tour. Please don't play anything new though, while we try to figure out this insurmountable problem we've got." 

What record label WOULDN'T want to bend over a barrel backwards to get this thing out?! 

19 minutes ago, Creed said:

Thats really insane...

What's insane is i'm still on here every day checking to see if there's a 0.00001% chance there might be another one in the next 29 years. Or just an EP with some shit covers and re-recordings of 20-year old songs. 

Axl's not insane. He's rich. 

Russ is right: if nothing after 31/01 and Miami is NITL fuck 'em. 

Tbh I still just wanna hear everything in the vault with Bucket/Robin/Brain and Axl vocals. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, surforia said:

My guess is that all this stems from that 20 year publishing deal Axl signed in 2005.  They're probably trying to figure out a way to circumvent having to pay someone else all the profits from the "new album."

I forgot about this. Anyone know what became of it and what it means in regards to new material by GNR? Slash and Duff sued over it in 2005. 

This nonsense is their new excuse.

It simultaneously shows:

(1) How little thought has been given to the idea and

(2) How all the “this year” commentary 2011-2015 was nothing more than hot air.

(3) How the Most Dangerous Band in the world acts like nothing more than scared kittens. Making music, finding an audience, doing it for the fun of it? Nah. Paralysis of analysis and trying to chase ghosts. Yeah, that’s the stuff. 

GOOD DAY SIR!

I said good day!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Slash interviews are basically like this: "You know, all things considered, some recording and stuff going on and you know these days it's but yeah, we've been doing some stuff to an extend where, you know, all things considered, recording and like, and then we have a couple of gigs and we've been, you know, all things considered, doing stuff and it's like, you know, all things considered, we have these songs and stuff and we've been doing things and, you know, some recording and stuff and well, however, at the end of the day, you know, all things considered, that's just...blablabla..."

How Axl manages to be in the same room with this guy longer than two minutes is beyond me. No wonder they didn't speak for 20 years.

Only reason he gives such interviews right now is because he has to deal with Axl's inactivity. 

The problem isn't being in a room with Slash but being in a band with Axl. A band that is managed by TB...

5 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

The thing is if they play new tracks first we're gonna be in that CD situation again where we're hearing live versions and not getting the album versions until a few years later. 

You mean the same behavior as literally every other artist?

Slash knows any sort of confirmation will be big news. I don't think he would confirm the release of a single or an album in an interview about his signature guitars. 

I'll stay positive about any new music. He confirms there's been recordings, I guess someday we'll get a single probably Hardschool due to it's addition in the setlist. But who knows...

I hope 2020 is a great year for us fans, and it has just started. We've waited this long...I'll give them some more months for them to surprise me, I believe they will.

Time will tell....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

You mean the same behavior as literally every other artist?

No, maybe bands play songs live then put them out a few months or weeks later. 

I mean we might be in a situation where they play a track and it still doesn't come out for years. Classic gnr style. We'd be sick of the song by the time it comes out. I want genuine new stuff this time. It's just not gonna happen. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

One album in 29 years. 

My daughter just turned 10 and Chinese Democracy was released long before she was conceived.

The thing is Axl is now filthy rich so he doesn't need an album to generate revenue.

I have never seen any band in my existence treat their fans so poorly and with utter contempt and disdain.

I didn't go to see them live in Melbourne when they reformed with Slash & Duff for 2 specific reasons:

1. I wanted to remember them when they were in their prime.

2. Still waiting on new material.

I'm so glad I resisted and took a stand because this benevolent dictator lead vocalist is just an absolute prick.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

If I were a record exec in today's climate and heard the words "Axl" and "demand" in the same sentence, I would immediately ask the person who said it where I can catch their next stand up comedy set. 

I laughed way too hard at this LOL!!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

No, maybe bands play songs live then put them out a few months or weeks later. 

I mean we might be in a situation where they play a track and it still doesn't come out for years. Classic gnr style. We'd be sick of the song by the time it comes out. I want genuine new stuff this time. It's just not gonna happen. 

Not true. I go to a lot of live shows. And sometimes I hear a new song from an artist that never gets released. Or it gets released years down the line. A lot of artists work it out during live shows, play it differently sometimes, and find out what works for them prior to going in and recording it.

But still, who cares when or if it would release? It would be rad to just hear new GNR material live.

Edited by GnR Chris

56 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah. Record labels would bend over backwards to lose money. Sorry, but that’s not how labels operate. They don’t care what you sold in 1991. What are they going to sell in 2020? Also good luck getting out of a record deal. If that’s the strategy, delay that record another 5 plus years while you’re held up in court paying lawyer fees

6 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

It's sad but true, once axl is gone we will have everything we ever wanted. Box sets, unreleased tracks. You name it. 

maybe when Axl is gone some of us will be gone either... 

would be a fucking joke if TB would have any right to publish it after axl s death and cash in. disgusting leeches who had 0 to do with the music gnr created

22 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Yeah. Record labels would bend over backwards to lose money. Sorry, but that’s not how labels operate. They don’t care what you sold in 1991. What are they going to sell in 2020? Also good luck getting out of a record deal. If that’s the strategy, delay that record another 5 plus years while you’re held up in court paying lawyer fees

I'd say you can terminate anything immediately after an appropriate agreement and a sufficient compensation if you're rich enough. That at least I would expect them to do should any old business prevent them from starting this new chapter freely and without any nonsense from the past...

Edited by jamillos

18 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I'd say you can terminate anything immediately after an appropriate agreement and a sufficient compensation if you're rich enough. That at least I would expect them to do should any old business prevent them from starting this new chapter freely and without any nonsense from the past...

Labels are notorious for not letting their talent out of deals. Even if they have no plans to work with them. GNR is no different. There’s no way they let GNR out of their contract. Thats not how the music business works. They actually pay lobbyists for that type of control

GNR may be in position to renegotiate the deal. However that’s the extent of it. It also means more time/lawyers wasted 

Edited by guitarpatch

I read an interview with Slash. He said they have music recorded, but not sure what to do with it? I guess since tons of people stream music now instead of buying cds they don't know how they should release it.

I say release it as a new album. I definitely will buy it. I still have cds in my car that I listen to. Also my brother has every GNR album since the beginning, so I'm sure he would buy a new vinyl if it was released.

I think if there's new music it has to get out to the fans some way or another.

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I read an interview with Slash. He said they have music recorded, but not sure what to do with it? I guess since tons of people stream music now instead of buying cds they don't know how they should release it.

I say release it as a new album. I definitely will buy it. I still have cds in my car that I listen to. Also my brother has every GNR album since the beginning, so I'm sure he would buy a new vinyl if it was released.

I think if there's new music it has to get out to the fans some way or another.

It will be a combination of things if it gets released. Including CDs Vinyl etc... 

Question is the other things needed to facilitate a release. To me it seems they don’t want to just release it/tour and that’s the extent of it. They want it to have a chance of some sort of success and have it worth their energy. 

Grandoise marketing plans/brand tie ins aside, it really comes down to if the songs are any good. Hopefully we get to hear it 

5 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Labels are notorious for not letting their talent out of deals. Even if they have no plans to work with them. GNR is no different. There’s no way they let GNR out of their contract. Thats not how the music business works. They actually pay lobbyists for that type of control

There are limits as to what they can do though. They can't have them imprisoned, can they. They can maybe sue them and take some of their money. But not half a billion, that would, among others, ruin the company's reputation, and I don't think anything like that has ever happened anyway. What I'm saying is I don't buy that concept that they are powerless just because of some decades-old contract and nothing can be done about it these days.