The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

13 minutes ago, chandler72 said:

I think anyone thinking there will be any new record coming out in the next 6 months is living in a dream world.  TB and UMG would have already started  promoting it big time, that is if they really wanted it to sell decently.

Not necessarily true. People’s attention span are pretty limited these days and most releases these days are planned accordingly. While they may need some lead time internally to set up strategy, the actual roll out could be relatively quick.
My guess is a single pops up with immediate roll out for pre orders for Vinyl/CD/Special Editions and also some high priced editions to capitalize on anyone buying physical copies 

To be fair to Axl, he never promised anything. His last statement on the subject was last year in Iceland, where all he said was "you never know".

Axl's most honest interview was with Del James in 2009. It was very telling in regards to how he feels about releasing music:

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

To be fair to Axl, he never promised anything. His last statement on the subject was last year in Iceland, where all he said was "you never know".

Axl's most honest interview was with Del James in 2009. It was very telling in regards to how he feels about releasing music:

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

That's a pretty honest and to the point answer. Can't fault him for that. 

Be interesting to know whether "have no idea and don't care" has altered at all in the last 10 years..........

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

They can call it whatever they want and it’ll still be NITL without new to music to me. Kind of like how the 2012-2014 tours were not technically the Chinese Democracy tour but literally played the same setlist with a cover or two thrown in.

I agree

1 hour ago, chandler72 said:

I think anyone thinking there will be any new record coming out in the next 6 months is living in a dream world.  TB and UMG would have already started  promoting it big time, that is if they really wanted it to sell decently.

Remember the teasers and promotion leading up to the announcement for the AFD reissue? If they had a new album coming out anytime soon it would be like that 10x.

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree

Remember the teasers and promotion leading up to the announcement for the AFD reissue? If they had a new album coming out anytime soon it would be like that 10x.

Very good point- they went mad with that! Mysterious posters everywhere, that weird website with a radio station tuning in and out, a world map with spots being highlighted etc.....

Being reminded of that pretty much seals it for me. Nothing new is coming in the immediate future. 

• Like 1

I get what people are saying about promotion but I just don't think it's needed for a new album. A reissue (an overpriced one at that) would need a lot more help in gaining public awareness. A new album would need nothing in the way of promotion. Word of mouth would spread far and wide very quickly if they just dropped one out of nowhere. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I get what people are saying about promotion but I just don't think it's needed for a new album. A reissue (an overpriced one at that) would need a lot more help in gaining public awareness. A new album would need nothing in the way of promotion. Word of mouth would spread far and wide very quickly if they just dropped one out of nowhere. 

Sure that’s possible. However I think UMG would want to capitalize on Pre Orders from a section of fanbase that would buy physical media. It’s a bit different than an artist who doesn’t have older fans 

No outrageous lead time. More like 6 weeks out with something else attached to the announcement such as tour dates 

Edited by guitarpatch

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

When's the next album?

So, the guy we pour huge amounts of our money, thinks we're idiots :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Sure that’s possible. However I think UMG would want to capitalize on Pre Orders from a section of fanbase that would buy physical media. It’s a bit different than an artist who doesn’t have older fans 

No outrageous lead time. More like 6 weeks out with something else attached to the announcement such as tour dates 

Yeah - I would say a very significant portion of the people interested in a new GNR album would want a physical copy. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just want to see something. Even if it’s not an album, an EP or Single, or even if they bust out Hard School, or just do some interviews saying there will be a new album (concretely and not super vague), it will show that their intentions may not to just be tour the same setlist for the rest of the band’s lifetime.

Axl isn’t getting younger. Assuming GNR retires when Axl is 66-67, the band has less than 10 years left, and I can realistically see this band trying to do this cycle until the retirement.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 7:31 PM, Ratbrain said:

I think the new album is like a willy wonka ticket, hidden on a usb stick inside the merchandise they are flogging. Those toy trucks are the most likely place. Until everyone smashes them open to find the usb stick we won't have the new album. 

I showed this comment to a friend of mine, and he said we belong in the loony bin. :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, vloors said:

I read somewhere slash had said he was writing material for both gnr and smkc at the time. Im sure a new smkc album/tour is on the cards during the next gnr break. 

Apparently the next SMKC album is done. Slash just  needs to rehearse  and record with the other band members.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I just want to see something. Even if it’s not an album, an EP or Single, or even if they bust out Hard School, or just do some interviews saying there will be a new album (concretely and not super vague), it will show that their intentions may not to just be tour the same setlist for the rest of the band’s lifetime.

Axl isn’t getting younger. Assuming GNR retires when Axl is 66-67, the band has less than 10 years left, and I can realistically see this band trying to do this cycle until the retirement.

Although im not in the USA, i really liked the NITL boards along sunset in LA during i think 2016/17 time period. They looked cool and im sure UMG could pay for that sort of promotion. I think once word spreads on a release date and the media pick up on it, UMG will not have to spend a cent on promotion. The media outlets will do all the promotion the band needs.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

When's the next album?

I also remember axl saying on stage "we needed to do this to get to where we need to go next".  I take that as, from a tour to a studio.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

16 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

No defense. Slash should know people are gonna ask about a new Guns record, and he should have a standard, generic response that actually makes sense. Rather than speaking nonsense.

I disagree. At least critically, the album got a significant amount of praise. Many people who disparage Chinese Democracy just never gave it a real shot.

I did and the 2000 intentions is what should have got released not what was released in 08.

5 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I also remember axl saying on stage "we needed to do this to get to where we need to go next".  I take that as, from a tour to a studio.

That's what we all figured out it should mean...

I took it as if he said "we had to see if we can stand each other for sometime in order to move along with creating something new..."

But in Axl's world it could mean "a new leg of the NITL tour" hahahaha

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don't mean this in a shitty way towards you specifically, but isn't it just sad what we've been reduced to as a fan base? We'll settle for "something" 

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

When's the next album?

"At some point in our lifetime" would be a great album title to pair with NITL.

Or in true Guns fashion, they could start a tour called that about there as yet unreleased album of that same name, lol.

Axl and TB both operate the same way! Don’t give interviews, don’t communicate with fans... Get annoyed that people want to know if you’re making an album, what stage it’s at etc. 

These issues simply wouldn’t exist if things were communicated.

We’ve barely heard from Axl since those 2 small interviews in 2016. Nearly 4 years ago. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't mean this in a shitty way towards you specifically, but isn't it just sad what we've been reduced to as a fan base? We'll settle for "something" 

And the fact that, despite whatever may be finished, the attitude is a disinterested "Nah." from Axl and co. and shows just how dreadful the whole situation really is.

• Sad 1