The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm of that view too, sadly. 

OK, so no one directly involved in any studio work would have leaked it, but people would have been seen, someone would say something. 

I just think back to Axl and AC/DC - it leaked, with photos, pretty much as soon as they rehearsed. 

I mean that AC/DC thing may have been a tip off as far as we know. To build some hype before the official announcement. 

Either way I imagine any recording has been/will be done completely inhouse, so unless Caram or Fernando or whoever working there leaks something, we won't hear a thing before the thing drops.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Please just let there be versions of Oklahoma/Berlin, Soul Monster, and The General. The rest can be brand new bland rock n roll like SMKC and I don't care as long as we get those three.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting to get those songs. If we ever get a record, just enjoy for what it is! I'd love to hear certain demos recorded and fleshed out too, and yes! if they release an album and I hate 3 or 4 songs on the record of course I'll say "They should have used x, y and z".... but hopefully if we get a record the quality is good enough that we don't care if it's a new song or vault song.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting to get those songs. If we ever get a record, just enjoy for what it is! I'd love to hear certain demos recorded and fleshed out too, and yes! if they release an album and I hate 3 or 4 songs on the record of course I'll say "They should have used x, y and z".... but hopefully if we get a record the quality is good enough that we don't care if it's a new song or vault song.

I don't agree. I think Axl is too mellow and chill to write good lyrics now. I want to hear the stuff from the early 2000s when he was still pissed off and angry at the world. That's when he's at his best.

33 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I don't agree. I think Axl is too mellow and chill to write good lyrics now. 

Not if he writes a song about leaks! 

Edit: like The Locker Shotgun Blues or something 

Edited by jamillos

13 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I don’t they have used this excuse........yet?!

Fernando and Beta have sure said it. There's also a lot of self righteous fans who claim leaks hurt the band. I have to laugh when I see people claim leaks hurt the band and say how terrible it is that fans listen to leaks. Then I see the same people comment on the leaks in various threads lol. 

In any case, you're right overall. I don't think "the band" has ever made the claim that leaks hurt them, but their managers definitely have. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

Fernando and Beta have sure said it. There's also a lot of self righteous fans who claim leaks hurt the band. I have to laugh when I see people claim leaks hurt the band and say how terrible it is that fans listen to leaks. Then I see the same people comment on the leaks in various threads lol. 

In any case, you're right overall. I don't think "the band" has ever made the claim that leaks hurt them, but their managers definitely have. 

The leaks back then had some type of affect on things. It’s def not the main reason yet you can’t dismiss it entirely. Anyone who had curious interest in the material had the means and probably did hear it. That was true for any artist during that time. If it had connected with people, there would have been more sales. Especially the first week regardless of the amount of Best Buy Stores compared to Walmart’s. Would it be substantially much more than what they did? Prob not, but maybe it gets them a number 1 release week 1. Anything after that you can contribute to the band not supporting the release with touring, press, etc... Maybe they could have helped it dropping off the face of the charts by supporting it. It’s true they had no help from UMG and Best Buy didn’t know what they were doing. However the band could have picked up some of that slack...and they didn’t. You just weren’t going to get steady sales after the first week in that music business climate. It happened the every artist not named Adele. You were just fighting to hold off the steep decline. Nobody in the GNR camp was bothered/ordered to try....

As far as these recent leaks? No one outside of the board community heard them or probably even cares to hear to them. Unless it’s streaming somewhere, no one is downloading files. It has little bearing on anything that gets released from it. 

The climate is a bit murky for what they need to release something through their label. A failed tour does not help things here. If they are forced to go on hiatus due to market over saturating/low sales, nothing is getting released until they can tour again. 

If that happens blame management/the artist. You can’t keep accepting tours and expect things to keep going. Sometimes you have to say no if you’re truly thinking about long term objectives to set them up. Something tells me it’s a bleed it dry situation 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The leaks back then had some type of affect on things. It’s def not the main reason yet you can’t dismiss it entirely. Anyone who had curious interest in the material had the means and probably did hear it. That was true for any artist during that time. If it had connected with people, there would have been more sales. Especially the first week regardless of the amount of Best Buy Stores compared to Walmart’s. Would it be substantially much more than what they did? Prob not, but maybe it gets them a number 1 release week 1. Anything after that you can contribute to the band not supporting the release with touring, press, etc... Maybe they could have helped it dropping off the face of the charts by supporting it. It’s true they had no help from UMG and Best Buy didn’t know what they were doing. However the band could have picked up some of that slack...and they didn’t. You just weren’t going to get steady sales after the first week in that music business climate. It happened the every artist not named Adele. You were just fighting to hold off the steep decline. Nobody in the GNR camp was bothered/ordered to try....

As far as these recent leaks? No one outside of the board community heard them or probably even cares to hear to them. Unless it’s streaming somewhere, no one is downloading files. It has little bearing on anything that gets released from it. 

The climate is a bit murky for what they need to release something through their label. A failed tour does not help things here. If they are forced to go on hiatus due to market over saturating/low sales, nothing is getting released until they can tour again. 

If that happens blame management/the artist. You can’t keep accepting tours and expect things to keep going. Sometimes you have to say no if you’re truly thinking about long term objectives to set them up. Something tells me it’s a bleed it dry situation 

The internet had already existed in 2008, and those who were gonna pirate the CD would have done so even without the leaks. Or at least would have listened to the stream first and then decided. The real fans bought it, also regardless of the leaks. Not only didn’t it hurt anything, it actually created more hype. The rest (that was claimed back then) is just a pile of crap. 

As for the Village sessions leaks, there’s even less to talk about in terms of "hurting the band" (which band exactly, btw?) in any way.

21 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The internet had already existed in 2008, and those who were gonna pirate the CD would have done so even without the leaks. Or at least would have listened to the stream first and then decided. The real fans bought it, also regardless of the leaks. Not only didn’t it hurt anything, it actually created more hype. The rest (that was claimed back then) is just a pile of crap. 

As for the Village sessions leaks, there’s even less to talk about in terms of "hurting the band" (which band exactly, btw?) in any way.

The songs were mostly available to anyone who had interest years before the release. By 2007 most of it was available in high quality. To think it didn’t hurt things in some fashion just isn’t true. Not saying it was the main reason but it certainly had some affect 

The fact is these songs were available in some fashion for years and couldn’t be immediately purchased. By the time they were, the moment had passed. Whether that’s an impulse buy or someone who at that time wanted to support it. It was a lost opportunity on some level. 

Edited by guitarpatch

14 hours ago, IkaruFunk said:

I mean that AC/DC thing may have been a tip off as far as we know. To build some hype before the official announcement. 

Either way I imagine any recording has been/will be done completely inhouse, so unless Caram or Fernando or whoever working there leaks something, we won't hear a thing before the thing drops.

I'm convinced that the AC/DC thing was a tip off. The timing was just a little too perfect for that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm convinced that the AC/DC thing was a tip off. The timing was just a little too perfect for that.

Or they are searching and prob begging for other type of content to help engage their SM base. Hard to push nothing but concert content 

Edited by guitarpatch

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wow - I genuinely didn’t know they had insinuated the leaks were affecting any proposed release. 😖 I guess that would only be the case if the new material really does have elements or full songs from the Village discs.

If you hold onto this stuff for long enough it will see the light of day eventually - it’s an easy fix to stop AND cash-in at the same time......JUST RELEASE THE MATERIAL!!!!

A new album

A UYI deluxe set

A CD deluxe set

They have this stuff at their disposal?!?!!!

• GNFNR 1

Everyone over at the asylum that is HTGTH have convinced themselves that new music is a non-essential to GNR on this tour and going forward, and that including new songs in the set would be a mistake.

At first I wanted to commit them all to padded rooms, but at strange as it is for GNR fans to say it......Fuck, maybe they're right.

Axl's 58, and the rest of the band aren't getting younger.  Is this operation, as it is, going to slip into that comfortable place of being a legacy/nostalgia act where they just casually mention new music as a possibility every now and then?

At this point, all signs point to yes.  It's weird and sad to see your favorite band go willingly down that road, but I guess that's what pays and is easy.  Fawk.

• GNFNR 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, sofine11 said:

Everyone over at the asylum that is HTGTH have convinced themselves that new music is a non-essential to GNR on this tour and going forward, and that including new songs in the set would be a mistake.

At first I wanted to commit them all to padded rooms, but at strange as it is for GNR fans to say it......Fuck, maybe they're right.

Axl's 58, and the rest of the band aren't getting younger.  Is this operation, as it is, going to slip into that comfortable place of being a legacy/nostalgia act where they just casually mention new music as a possibility every now and then?

At this point, all signs point to yes.  It's weird and sad to see your favorite band go willingly down that road, but I guess that's what pays and is easy.  Fawk.

only because if you dont fall in line with the leaders opionion on that page, he tells you that "the band doesnt do things on your time line, for your expecations, etc"  What is sad, is all these other bands touring that ARE or are going to release new music.  J is the biggest spin master on any page.  True, new music isnt ESSENTIAL, but why not just say what the plan is.  Poison is touring and said new music will be out, same with pearl jam.  The Crue and Def are as well, but never mention or tease new music, so, fans know what to expect.  Why say "we want to", 'we are working on stuff".  Either you. ARE or ARE NOT.  Thats how simple it is.  I dont want to hear about leaks, and "we dont know how to release a new album", thats garbage talk and we all know it.  Slash can release solo and with hos other band, but cant figure out how to release 10 new songs as GNR??  right!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I mean .... There's an argument to make that GnR has been a legacy act since 2011 ...

• GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Hmmmm we'll see how attendance this summer shapes that opinion.

To be fair, they are in a weird spot business-wise: their stature kind of dictates that they release on the same scale as AC/DC, Metallica, RHCP, or Rolling Stones. With such limited space in the mainstream for rock n roll, they need a slam-dunk single for it to be worth it. If a new GN'R single were to come and go like solo Slash, Iron Maiden, or Dream Theater it would be huge disappointment for everyone.

I still think they have either internally cancelled a release for this year, or still might release this summer. There's no other explanation as to why they would be playing the Super Bowl and booking a US stadium tour. Poor attendance this summer practically guarantees they will not be on the road next summer, and they certainly wouldn't release any 30th anni UYI packages alongside a new album.

So, no new music this summer likely means nothing until 2022 at least.

8 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I don't agree. I think Axl is too mellow and chill to write good lyrics now. I want to hear the stuff from the early 2000s when he was still pissed off and angry at the world. That's when he's at his best.

Cool. I think he's better at guarding himself, I think he's every bit as crazy today as he was in 00 and earlier though. 

Edited by Tom2112

56 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Been said I million times but, enjoy the other bands that continue to be creative. The industry as it is celebrates nostalgia! so GNR following the trend is no major surprise! look at the tours of the this year alone :D I read a forbes article that were thinking out loud that GNR wouldn't tour this year, because of the Motley tour, basically saying there wasn't demand enough for two tours running the same cities... it will be interesting to see how GNR dl, considering that the motley dates are selling well, and people have already seen the GNR show in America twice in the last 2yrs.

Anyway, I both agree and disagree. My main opinion is, if a band is on the road they need to be making music on and off the stage. If GNR don't release a record this year, they may as well forget it though, because there's no way Axl will be able to sing when he's in his 60s judging by the last nearly 10years of degrading quality. I'm afraid it's rock or bust for GNR... they can play live forever, but to diminishing returns... and that's even if they decided to go the "special attraction" route playing once or twice a year.