The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

You missed my point. He wouldnt rerecord ANY new vocals for CDII songs because they are not required. However, I believe that he would record new vocals for instrumentals or new songs with Slash and Duff. 

Ah right, ok.

It's my belief that there are no new finished songs, so when asked to submit one, he had to pull one from the archives.

5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The Axl online chats are from 2008. So when Axl mentioned recording soul monster vocals during Christmas, if he meant the one that had just passed, then he meant 2007, not 2004.

we know he recorded the Shackler’s vocals in 2007, cause he said it was about the VTech massacre, so it’s not too much of a stretch to assume he recorded other songs during that time as well.

Yeah, outside of the 99-00 recordings, there was likely another session in 2007 where he did Shackler, TIL new vocal, General and whatever the hell 'Blood In The Water' was initially supposed to be.  Maybe he did Soul Monster then.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

How do we know the Soul Monster vocals were done in 2004 again? I know there’s a reason but I keep forgetting what it is.

2004 came from somewhere, but as the years pass us by, I forget the minor details. 

14 minutes ago, Pele said:

Ah right, ok.

It's my belief that there are no new finished songs, so when asked to submit one, he had to pull one from the archives.

I don't see why Axl would pick a song soley on the fact because it's "new". There could very well be many new ones or a whole album. Axl is gonna pick a song he likes the best, and that could be any song he worked on that was worked on now by Slash and Duff. This is a guy who worked on Silkworms for 20 goddamn years so obviously he loves that shit to death. Viewed in that historic context of it all, it doesn't surprise me that he wanted it to be the first single, even when we KNOW that they have better songs in the vault they could have released.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't see why Axl would pick a song soley on the fact because it's "new". Axl is gonna pick a song he likes the best, and that could be any song he worked on that was worked on now by Slash and Duff. This is a guy who worked on Silkworms for 20 goddamn years so obviously he loves that shit to death. Viewed in that historic context of it all, it doesn't surprise me that he wanted it to be the first single, even when we KNOW that they have better songs in the vault they could have released.

The reason he picked Silkworms is because HIS involvement was done.

It couldn't have been State of Grace because the vocals aren't finished.

It had to be Silkworms, Atlas or Perhaps.

Perhaps and Atlas are quite 'clean' sounding songs and maybe he wasn't happy with the vocals.  Silkworms is just a mess so they have put effects all over his original vocal and it makes little to no difference on the overall quality of the song.  They are also sung in a mock English accent (like Down on the Farm) so it's hard to tell if they are good or not.  Just sounds like a character rather than an Axl Rose vocal.

Edited by Pele

And there lies the other reason he may have picked Silkworms over the other 3 options (Hardskool/Perhaps/Atlas).

Remember when he addressed the criticism on 'If the World'?  People said it sounds like a corny, cheesy James Bond theme and he said it was his intention to write the cheesiest Bond song ever?

Obviously it wasn't.  

And when everyone hated Oh My God, so he told us all it was an unfinished demo.

When everyone hates Silkworms, he'll just say it's a bit of fun and not supposed to be taken seriously.

Edited by Pele

7 minutes ago, Pele said:

It couldn't have been State of Grace because the vocals aren't finished.

It had to be Silkworms, Atlas or Perhaps.

Perhaps and Atlas are quite 'clean' sounding songs and maybe he wasn't happy with the vocals.  Silkworms is just a mess so they have put effects all over his original vocal and it makes little to no difference on the overall quality of the song.  They are also sung in a mock English accent (like Down on the Farm) so it's hard to tell if they are good or not.  Just sounds like a character rather than an Axl Rose vocal.

Vocals seem pretty finished on Hard School. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pele said:

Nah, name me one person who ever worked on a song longer than Axl worked on Silkworms. It's got to be one of his beloved babys.  The "lazy" reasoning doesn't sound convincing when you've got many better arguments as to why he picked it. One of them being that I doubt anyone ever worked on a song that long in the entirety of the history of music.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

You're crazy if you think Axl Rose is going to retire his music career with Silkworms as his last release ... Prostitute was totally understandable ... But Silkworms? C'mon dude you cant be serious

I am serious.  I think it was likely released as a contractual obligation and he's picked the quickest, easiest thing he could get away with without having to lift a finger and I think that's the last official release.

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Nah, name me one person who ever worked on a song longer than Axl worked on Silkworms. It's got to be one of his beloved babys.  The "lazy" reasoning doesn't sound convincing when you've got many better arguments as to why he picked it. one of them being that I doubt anyone ever worked on a song that long in the entirety of the history of music.

He hasn't though.

He sung it in 99.  Then gave the copy to Bumblefoot to re-record his bits (whilst getting Caram to remove a chorus).

Then he got Caram to gave it to Slash to record over Bumblefoots parts.

I'd say that's about it.

He's worked on it more than most of the instrumental demos because they didn't ever get a vocal.

5 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

I do not understand the mentality of thinking what was leaked on the Village Sessions is all there is just because YOU heard it. It doesn't mean he hasn't been working on material since. Also people seem to always forget how long gnr classics like November Rain, YCBM, Don't Cry, Back off Bitch, etc sat around before getting released. And yeah there is no pleasing you all. They finally release music and this place is toxic as ever. lol I honestly don't think Axl gives a fuck if you like Absurd or not he and GNR are gonna release what they want to. You are not in control so sit back and enjoy the ride. Enjoy the fact that our favorite band is putting out music again and is still actively touring. 

Fair enough.

I might be wrong and there may be a whole new vault of better, newer songs, all with vocals.

The fact that he's pulled his latest single from the 99 vault that we've all heard suggest otherwise.

Why on earth would I enjoy the fact that our favorite band has just released one of their worst ever songs/demos as a single whilst touring the exact same setlist yet again (whist adding said song).

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

What if Axl is just happy he finally has Slash and Duff back and finally thinks these songs sound like what he envisioned in his head? I feel like that is a real possibility. 

The song is so bad I'd be embarrassed for someone like Fred Durst if they wrote it!

That said, I hope that's the case and they do rework the Village Sessions into an album which includes State of Grace, Thyme, Oklahoma, Quick Song, Zodiac etc but I very much doubt it.

Edited by Pele

4 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

What if Axl is just happy he finally has Slash and Duff back and finally thinks these songs sound like what he envisioned in his head? I feel like that is a real possibility. 

Yeah, man. Way back when, Axl was still saying he wanted Slash to play on a few songs if he apologized or whatever their beef was. 

This week has been the best week for GNR fans since the Troubadour show. Seriously, I have renewed hope there’s more to come as far as studio releases go. Before “Absurd” dropped, I didn’t think there were any new releases coming. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pele said:

The song is so bad I'd be embarrassed for someone like Fred Durst if they wrote it!

And of course you have a right to that opinion but art is completely subjective. If this is all that gets released then Absurd was a bad choice but maybe I am nuts, I feel like this is just the beginning.

31 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah, outside of the 99-00 recordings, there was likely another session in 2007 where he did Shackler, TIL new vocal, General and whatever the hell 'Blood In The Water' was initially supposed to be.  Maybe he did Soul Monster then.

The confirmed sessions are 3 days sometime between late September and late October 2006 (Merck's letter), 13 days in late 2006-early 2007 at Palm Studios in Vegas, and another session before Christmas 2007.

5 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

And of course you have a right to that opinion but art is completely subjective. If this is all that gets released then Absurd was a bad choice but maybe I am nuts, I feel like this is just the beginning.

Haha, I hope you're right but I think you're nuts!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The confirmed sessions are 3 days sometime between late September and late October 2006 (Merck's letter), 13 days in late 2006-early 2007 at Palm Studios in Vegas, and another session before Christmas 2007.

Haha, 3 & 13 days then.  I'd suggest those days are likely the only thing he's done apart from the 99/00 sessions apart from Rock the Rock.

They likely yielded The General, Shacklers, Scrpaed (?), This I Love remix and some throwaway lines from Elvis Soulmoster (which is probably where the Blood in the Water line comes from).

Maybe Light My Fire if that was true.

Edited by Pele

17 minutes ago, Pele said:

He hasn't though.

He sung it in 99.  Then gave the copy to Bumblefoot to re-record his bits (whilst getting Caram to remove a chorus).

Then he got Caram to gave it to Slash to record over Bumblefoots parts.

I'd say that's about it.

He's worked on it more than most of the instrumental demos because they didn't ever get a vocal.

Going by the few scraps of info that reached our ears is extremely flawed. There's so much that never reached anyones knowledge between 1998-2021. Which is why forming a verdict going by what we know is completely flawed and borderline useless speculation.

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Going by the few scraps of info that reached our ears is extremely flawed. There's so much that never reached anyones knowledge between 1998-2021. Which is why forming a verdict going by what we know is completely flawed and borderline useless speculation.

Yeah we are making predictions based on what we know.

He is STILL pulling from those 99 sessions that we know about so I'd suggest there is very little else out there.

Either you'll be right and there will be a load of new songs with full vocal, or I'll be right and we'll get HardSkool with 99 vocal and a Slash solo pasted on if we are lucky and little else.

Edited by Pele

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

Either you'll be right and there will be a load of new songs with full vocal, or I'll be right and we'll get HardSkool with 99 vocal and a Slash solo pasted on if we are lucky and little else.

Or maybe even both? :shrugs:I would be happy with a hybrid album of CDII and New songs 

28 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

I do not understand the mentality of thinking what was leaked on the Village Sessions is all there is just because YOU heard it. It doesn't mean he hasn't been working on material since. Also people seem to always forget how long gnr classics like November Rain, YCBM, Don't Cry, Back off Bitch, etc sat around before getting released. And yeah there is no pleasing you all. They finally release music and this place is toxic as ever. lol I honestly don't think Axl gives a fuck if you like Absurd or not he and GNR are gonna release what they want to. You are not in control so sit back and enjoy the ride. Enjoy the fact that our favorite band is putting out music again and is still actively touring. 

Is that you jarmo? 

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Or maybe even both? :shrugs:I would be happy with a hybrid album of CDII and New songs 

I'd be absolutely delighted with completed songs from the CD2 sessions - there was some good material there.