The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

12 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Was it Slash who said a few years ago  regarding a new album that they had some material but were trying to figure out how to release it? If so, I think a decent theory could be that he meant they only had a set amount of finished vocals to work with and maybe it was something like 6-7 songs. More than an EP but not enough for a full album. Doesn’t explain why Axl couldn’t get off his ass to record more vocals, but could explain just releasing songs on a one off basis to keep the bands blood flowing to promote tours (the real $ maker). Hopefully the theory isn’t totally correct though as it would mean (For whatever dumbass reason) Axl is done as a recording artist.

To me it sounded like they had enough material for an album but were thinking whether they should release it in that form or go with other options before finally releasing an album:

Speaking about Guns N' Roses' plans for the coming months, the guitarist said: "We're just doing this one run [of shows] in the States and a couple of dates in Mexico end of this month into November. And so that's it for Guns for now. And I think we have something coming up in March as far as touring is concerned. Obviously, everybody knows that we're working on new material, which is really exciting, and so, that's really primarily what the focus is."

Asked if the Guns songwriting process has involved everybody working individually or together in a studio, Slash said: "I have nothing to tell you, information-wise, other than no, it's not that. Everybody has been sort of, like, when we're in town, working on it. And then when we're out of town, obviously not. So it's been that kind of thing."

Slash also talked about whether Guns N' Roses fans can expect to see new music from the band in the form of standalone singles or as a full-length record. He explained: "I think at the end of the day, everybody wants to have a full album released. I don't think that's really changed all that much. But there's a different way of putting stuff out initially nowadays more so than… I mean, there's always been the single, but now you sort of look at that preliminary release a little bit differently now. All things considered, it's like the Wild West out there; there is no formula for any of it. [Laughs] I haven't seen any routine kind of thing that works. I mean, you can do any one of a million different things to releasing a record. But at the end of the day, I think that we will ultimately release a full album."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4222-2019-09-09-sirius-xm-trunk-nation-interview-with-slash

and:

Q: Speaking of Guns, have you got anything more you can share about the new album?

Slash: There’s been no definitive answer on anything and I’ll just keep to that. Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It’s just like, how do you want to do this? I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.

Q: The music industry in 2020 is a lot different to the last time you all made a Guns record.

Slash: Yeah! And there’s a handful people who said, ’Yeah, make a record and go old school’. And there’s a handful of people that are like, ’We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!’

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4378-2020-01-22-guitar-com-slash-on-his-new-gibson-collection-playing-with-his-friends-and-the-new-gn-r-album

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

To me it sounded like they had enough material for an album but trying to figure out if they should release it in that form:

Speaking about Guns N' Roses' plans for the coming months, the guitarist said: "We're just doing this one run [of shows] in the States and a couple of dates in Mexico end of this month into November. And so that's it for GUNS for now. And I think we have something coming up in March as far as touring is concerned. Obviously, everybody knows that we're working on new material, which is really exciting, and so, that's really primarily what the focus is."

Asked if the Guns songwriting process has involved everybody working individually or together in a studio, Slash said: "I have nothing to tell you, information-wise, other than no, it's not that. Everybody has been sort of, like, when we're in town, working on it. And then when we're out of town, obviously not. So it's been that kind of thing."

Slash also talked about whether Guns N' Roses fans can expect to see new music from the band in the form of standalone singles or as a full-length record. He explained: "I think at the end of the day, everybody wants to have a full album released. I don't think that's really changed all that much. But there's a different way of putting stuff out initially nowadays more so than… I mean, there's always been the single, but now you sort of look at that preliminary release a little bit differently now. All things considered, it's like the Wild West out there; there is no formula for any of it. [Laughs] I haven't seen any routine kind of thing that works. I mean, you can do any one of a million different things to releasing a record. But at the end of the day, I think that we will ultimately release a full album."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4222-2019-09-09-sirius-xm-trunk-nation-interview-with-slash

and:

Q: Speaking of Guns, have you got anything more you can share about the new album?

Slash: There’s been no definitive answer on anything and I’ll just keep to that. Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It’s just like, how do you want to do this? I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.

Q: The music industry in 2020 is a lot different to the last time you all made a Guns record.

Slash: Yeah! And there’s a handful people who said, ’Yeah, make a record and go old school’. And there’s a handful of people that are like, ’We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!’

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4378-2020-01-22-guitar-com-slash-on-his-new-gibson-collection-playing-with-his-friends-and-the-new-gn-r-album

But Slash def knows, he releases albums every 2 years !

• Like 3

Speaking of the label, there's been a lot of speculation about GnR's contract with UMG and how many albums they may still owe, etc. But there is an aspect to these recent GnR releases that, although ti has been noticed and discussed, it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves: the difference in the copyright credits compared to previous releases (e.g. AFD box set and CD). According to the credits for Absurd and Hard Skool, GnR fully owns the copyright of the recordings "with exclusive license to Geffen" (this is similar to the credits for the SMKC albums, which are copyrighted to Slash's self-owned label and licensed to another label). That suggests that the recordings were self-financed (probably recorded and mixed in their home studios). Even though the band is obviously still associated with Geffen/UMG in some way, these singles appear to be basically self-releases with license to Geffen only for distribution. Could that even mean that they're free from their recording agreement with UMG and have another kind of agreement with them now? We'll have to wait and see how this unfolds and if it will be the same with future releases and the album (if there is one).

This might also explain the limited/on demand physical releases, as well as the complete lack of promotion of the new songs from the label. In the case of the Appetite box set there were billboards, unboxing promo videos, articles quoting UMG reps, etc, and all that promotion was from Universal; the band had just shared it on their social media. Now promotion is entirely on the band, management and whatever (if any) PR company they've been working with.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2021 at 7:52 PM, kingcanyon said:

but it's not just axl he has to have everyone working with him u can't just rely on him

Everyone will work with him, that's proven with how they recorded these last 2 songs. They'd record today and release everything the next day if they could get Axl on board.

Axl has recorded a lot in the last 15/20yrs and i'm sure if he hears a song Slash and Duff wrote that he loved he'd happily to sing over it! Hopefully Slash has keep some A material for guns... but if the word he's getting is "my(Axl) material first" then I doubt he's that focused on creating great material.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Speaking of the label, there's been a lot of speculation about GnR's contract with UMG and how many albums they may still owe, etc. But there is an aspect to these recent GnR releases that, although ti has been noticed and discussed, it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves: the difference in the copyright credits compared to previous releases (e.g. AFD box set and CD). According to the credits for Absurd and Hard Skool, GnR fully owns the copyright of the recordings "with exclusive license to Geffen" (this is similar to the credits for the SMKC albums, which are copyrighted to Slash's self-owned label and licensed to another label). That suggests that the recordings were self-financed (probably recorded and mixed in their home studios). Even though the band is obviously still associated with Geffen/UMG in some way, these singles appear to be basically self-releases with license to Geffen only for distribution. Could that even mean that they're free from their recording agreement with UMG and have another kind of agreement with them now? We'll have to wait and see how this unfolds and if it will be the same with future releases and the album (if there is one).

This might also explain the limited/on demand physical releases, as well as the complete lack of promotion of the new songs from the label. In the case of the Appetite box set there were billboards, unboxing promo videos, articles quoting UMG reps, etc, and all that promotion was from Universal; the band had just shared it on their social media. Now promotion is entirely on the band, management and whatever (if any) PR company they've been working with.

That's great news if they're on their own. Promotion will be shit but at least all Axl needs to do now to release a song is to just drop it online. I suppose that would be close to optimal from his perspective. Absolute control and freedom. He okayed Absurd so he can't be all that picky about these songs. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, but GnR is a different animal. Slash has his own label and has made deals with record companies and magazines just for distribution.

Yeah it’s not that different. At the end of the day everyone still mostly releases a single (or a few) and then eventually an album. The only real change with the times is that now people sometimes actually say fuck that to an album roll out and just surprise release the whole thing at once.  Slash was talking in circles in that interview to try be cordial to the real reason everything is always up in the air. 

“And there’s a handful people who said, ’Yeah, make a record and go old school’. And there’s a handful of people that are like, ’We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!’

What the hell does this even mean? Every big artist releases albums. Their fans can buy it digitally or physically. Or both! Acting like releasing a bunch of rock n roll tunes in 2021 is some monumental task or existential dilemma is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Slash is still as cagey and slippery with the media as he has always been...Love the guy's music, but, I swear, he should run for office.  Just a bunch of non-committal, circular fluff.  I know someone's about to hop in and give me some noise about how they need to preserve the mystery, or the secrecy, or somesuch, but, this ain't no (sentimental) Marvel movie, y'all.

So obvious that he's bending over backwards not to ruffle any feathers when the touchy subject of an album comes up, just the same as Bumble used to, and Tommy used to, and DJ used to, and Richard used to.  Different year, same design.

Who I really feel for are the gullible fans, who lap up this dreck like it's gospel, and regurgitate these interviews as some sort of "proof" of anything, when it's actually Slash just knowing how to be savvy with the media in pulling these meaningless lines outta his ass.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Slash is still as cagey and slippery with the media as he has always been...Love the guy's music, but, I swear, he should run for office.  Just a bunch of non-committal, circular fluff.  I know someone's about to hop in and give me some noise about how they need to preserve the mystery, or the secrecy, or somesuch, but, this ain't no (sentimental) Marvel movie, y'all.

So obvious that he's bending over backwards not to ruffle any feathers when the touchy subject of an album comes up, just the same as Bumble used to, and Tommy used to, and DJ used to, and Richard used to.  Different year, same design.

Who I really feel for are the gullible fans, who lap up this dreck like it's gospel, and regurgitate these interviews as some sort of "proof" of anything, when it's actually Slash just knowing how to be savvy with the media in pulling these meaningless lines outta his ass.

It's obviously not about the supposed "mystery".

However, Slash saying something is in no way, shape of form the same as Fortus etc. saying something in the previous years, because of a significant difference: unlike the members you mentioned, Slash is in the loop and has some say to what happens. And what he said here (interview from November 2020) is what actually happened:

You’re making an album with Myles (Kennedy) and the Conspirators, right?

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the Guns record, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

When do you think we’ll hear some of this music?

Slash: I would like to think that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess. It’s hard to say, but I would like to think we’ll have stuff out next year, yeah.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5230-2020-11-21-the-oakland-press-slash-talks-guns-n-roses-pinball-machine-touring-new-music

(From the rest of the interview it's apparent that his "it's hard to say" etc. had to do with whether the shows scheduled for 2021 would eventually happen and the release of new music depending on that).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

I'm not going to spend the next page and a half going back and forth with you on this.  I know where you come down on these kinds of debates.  I respect that you choose to be an eternal optimist when it comes to all things G N' R.  Let's see where things are a year from now.

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Fair enough. Just to clarify, I'm neither an optimist nor a pessimist. I'm just not that emotionally invested to the point where my assessments would be driven by hopes and wishes or, on the other hand, by defense mechanisms (like "I don't want to get my hopes up out of fear that I might be disappointed like so many times in the past, so I'll keep my expectations to zero and say that nothing's gonna happen"). I just try to read things for what (I think) they are.

That's cool.  All good.  At the end of the day, the only thing any of us can do is read things as we see them :)

6 hours ago, agustingloger said:

Slash sta già promuovendo il nuovo disco degli SMKC. Intervista e anche video musicale 

I'd be interested in reading the interview. Where can I find it? Can you please send me the link? Thanks

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Speaking about Guns N' Roses' plans for the coming months, the guitarist said: "We're just doing this one run [of shows] in the States and a couple of dates in Mexico end of this month into November. And so that's it for Guns for now. And I think we have something coming up in March as far as touring is concerned. Obviously, everybody knows that we're working on new material, which is really exciting, and so, that's really primarily what the focus is."

Ok, credit to Slash. He talked about all this in advance and it started happening. Covid clearly delayed their plans. Based on that, lets consider what he says as more reliable.

First bold part - New material is the primary focus.

Second bold part - He points out the rollout towards a new release is much different these days, and he's right. Artists will release singles many months if not sometimes a year before their album comes out.

Third bold part - He says ultimately at the end of their plans a full album will be released and he says at the start everybody wants to do an album.

When these comments first came out we all took what was said with a pinch of salt because we'd been burned before. Well what Slash said in those first and second bold parts has come true. Also, worth pointing out that in the 2019 interview where he talks about that leg, Hard Skool was sound checked and on the setlist for that leg but just not played. They've been working on these plans for a while and have started rolling it out.

Feels like "soon" may be the word.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, klakly said:

I'd be interested in reading the interview. Where can I find it? Can you please send me the link? Thanks

https://www.loudersound.com/news/slash-teases-new-album-as-the-best-one-weve-done-so-far

It's just based off the video clip. My guess is the song will be out this Friday accompanied with a press release about the album release date.

• Like 3

Reading Slash's answer to the question on a new GNR album is like when someone asks you a question at a job interview that you don't know the answer to, and you stumble over your words and lie.

• Haha 1

And yet, he's entirely capable of doing the old, tried and true, single, video, promotion, interviews, album release, tour cycle for his own band.

No "Wild West" when it comes to Slash or Duff writing, recording, and releasing records.

I know the expectations are different, yes, yes, fine, BUT...It's almost as though there's another forceful entity inhibiting this forward motion, in Guns' case...Absurd! :laugh:

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Is there any update on the songwriting credits of Hard Skool? I couldn't find anything on ASCAP or SESAC. 

Digging a bit on Absurd, though, I found interesting this credits with "C/O GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC" for both Slash and Duff publishing companies, when Axl's Black Frog Music is connected to Universal Tunes.

BLACK FROG MUSIC
Additional Info 
C/O UNIVERSAL TUNES

SESAC 345597038
BLOOD MERIDIAN
Additional Info 
C/O GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC

NS 847397685
DIK HAYD MUSIC
Additional Info 
C/O GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC

NS 129579242
LOSINGMYMIND PUBLISHING
Contact Info 
WIXEN MUSIC PUBLISHING, INC
24025 PARK SORRENTO
SUITE # 130
CALABASAS, CA 91302

12 minutes ago, Pele said:

Reading Slash's answer to the question on a new GNR album is like when someone asks you a question at a job interview that you don't know the answer to, and you stumble over your words and lie.

Where did he lie? Everything he said makes sense and obviously was a lot more to do with the business side.

• Like 2

Just now, Pele said:

Haha - that's an absolute template for answering a question while saying absolutely nothing! 

"I think that we will ultimately release a full album"doesn't sound too promising......

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pele said:

Honestly I was gonna say that it is one of the more true and logical things any GNR member has said since 2016 lol

• Like 2