The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

22 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I love this point about senior school. I'm 30 myself so I'm in pretty much the same boat.

I bought AFD in 2003/04 and got big into GNR. I would have absolutely gone crazy around that time to have heard stuff like Hard School, Atlas Shrugged, State Of Grace & Perhaps.

It's criminal that only now are we hearing these great songs, and also makes you wonder what else Axl has in the vault that we have no clue about. 

Yeah the point about school was one I thought recently and was just godsmacked - the amount of life experiences I've had all since this song was actually recorded up until the first time I heard it - passing school exams, moving to uni and getting a degree, first car, losing virginity :P, first job, seeing many countries of the world etc! Unreal!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sweersa said:

No kidding! To me, Perhaps and Hardschool come to mind.

In my "fantasy CD tracklisting" I replaced Shackler's with Hardschool and I genuinely believe CD would've been much better received if the first three tracks were CD, HS, Better.

Hardschool is the one track I'll show to friends who like OG GN'R but didn't like CD and the thoughts are unanimously positive.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

One thing I will say - I admire your optimism :lol:

I don't doubt your points about external factors being obstacles, but unfortunately there really is only one person who holds the key to the kingdom.  

AC/DCs album is a good example but doesn't really work quite so well in this context. Rumours of that album have been swirling since 2018 if I recall correctly? Difference between this and anything GN'R is that there was actual photographic proof of that band together outside a famous recording studio whereas it has been radio silence for anything relating to Guns recording.  One of the comments you made that I would counter quite hard on would be the part about Slash working on new material during the pinball interview. Slightly different context but how many times has Richard been saying he's been working on GNR material? Honestly I think i'm losing count but i'd guess it would be in 10 of the last 12 years he has made a comment about music being worked on. Appreciate in the wider context of GN'R Richard is a minor player compared to Slash but I think my point is valid and I refer back to my previous paragraph about there being only one man with the keys!

Funny you use the example of 7 months for AC/DC too saying that it's been 7 months with the inference that that's a long amount of time - I personally read that as ONLY 7 months! :P Axl has had stuff recorded for over 20 years which has yet to see the light of day! Based on the output from CD, it is a very safe assumption that this material has been worked on, worked on again and worked on again some more. My initial comment regarding Atlas is a good example here - we had BBF confirm back in 2008 that he recorded a solo for Atlas before it was bumped from CD so we have pretty good indications that the songs that we have from The Village sessions have evolved further. I know we don't have a definitive source regarding Slash having played a solo for that but based on his work ethic I'd be surprised if he hadn't - but having said that, no proof to suggest it has been so I would not hang my hat on that.

I really do hope it is more of a case of 'when' rather than 'if' - my biggest worry is that the releases we will see will be posthumous and TB milking Axl for every last penny once he is not here to block anything. Really hope we do still see some releases while he's still alive as I'd be truly fascinated for him to discuss the making of CD and follow up albums at length and just really understand how his creative process works and where the "muse" really comes from (in reference to Merck's comments back in 2007) along with the roadblocks that have been put in his way.

Yeah - dunno why so positive!l 😂

Some good points in there - as you allude, Slash’s word holds more sway IMO than Richard (and those who uttered these words before) so the ‘burden’ of new material is now really split three ways with the ‘big 3’.

I take the point re photographic evidence for AC/DC but I’d also suggest that GNR might be just that bit more clandestine....are they doing more stuff remotely via file sharing? Slash was at Axls studio - wonder how long etc and for what purpose?

I agree the buck stops with Axl but I stand resolute that there is more positives than negatives. I think we are far more likely to get stuff than at any point since 2008.....which is something I guess! 😂

Like you I’d be gutted if we didn’t get anything until after a death.....I don’t care what anyone says but there is always something ‘missing’ when that happens...not getting to hear it live or something? I’d still listen don’t get me wrong! 😂

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

In my "fantasy CD tracklisting" I replaced Shackler's with Hardschool and I genuinely believe CD would've been much better received if the first three tracks were CD, HS, Better.

Hardschool is the one track I'll show to friends who like OG GN'R but didn't like CD and the thoughts are unanimously positive.

Hardschool and Better would have been fantastic singles, especially is promoted properly. I liked Shackler's. But Hardschool would have been better there, I agree. 

That, and releasing all 3 covers (or only the red hand and grenade) I believe would have helped move units much netter than the boring bike cover.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Hardschool and Better would have been fantastic singles, especially is promoted properly. I liked Shackler's. But Hardschool would have been better there, I agree. 

That, and releasing all 3 covers (or only the red hand and grenade) I believe would have helped move units much netter than the boring bike cover.

Completely agree. 

That and Axl doing a bit of promo! To be honest the lack of promo didn't really bother me as I just wanted to hear the music but think it's hard to deny that promo would've shifted more copies.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2020 at 11:57 PM, DTJ80 said:

It’s funny - I posted on another thread that only Taylor Swift in 2019 and 2020 has shifted over a million physical copies of an album. I knew physical sales were down but that’s horrific!!

Now - GNR are a different demographic in that most of us probably still favour the physical copy....but even I was horrified at those facts. GNR would push good numbers of course but less than I imagined!

I doubt the record company would be worried to much about how many copies an album will sell. In terms of SMKC any release here in Aus sell well. SKMC AL album went platninum here. I have no doubt the album will get into the top5 with a strong first single. But the band will make a shitload of money touring it, potentially more than NITL has grossed. I think any money they dont make in album sales they will certainly make up for it in touring and merchandise.

12 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I doubt the record company would be worried to much about how many copies an album will sell. In terms of SMKC any release here in Aus sell well. SKMC AL album went platninum here. I have no doubt the album will get into the top5 with a strong first single. But the band will make a shitload of money touring it, potentially more than NITL has grossed. I think any money they dont make in album sales they will certainly make up for it in touring and merchandise.

Exsqueeze me? A baking powder? - Wayne's World | Favorite movie quotes,  Waynes world quotes, Funny movies

Sorry, what?! Do you mean purely in Oz or worldwide? Either are quite ridiculous suggestions!

11 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Absolutely...I was more taken aback personally about how horrific physical sales are now 😂. GNR will be one of the few who will churn out good numbers...just amazing how things have shifted from the ‘old days’ where UYI combined has sold something around 30m copies!

Random thought - do we know how many copies CD actually sold or is that number lost in what was shipped to Best Buy etc?

10 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Exsqueeze me? A baking powder? - Wayne's World | Favorite movie quotes,  Waynes world quotes, Funny movies

Sorry, what?! Do you mean purely in Oz or worldwide? Either are quite ridiculous suggestions!

Worldwide. If its a strong album, singles, stteaming, huge promo, they will tour it massively and generate shitloads*

*This will also depend upon one vocalists vocals being in good shape, and said vocalist being in shape themselves.

13 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Absolutely...I was more taken aback personally about how horrific physical sales are now 😂. GNR will be one of the few who will churn out good numbers...just amazing how things have shifted from the ‘old days’ where UYI combined has sold something around 30m copies!

Random thought - do we know how many copies CD actually sold or is that number lost in what was shipped to Best Buy etc?

Yeah its a shame how shit the music industry is nowdays.

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Worldwide. If its a strong album, singles, stteaming, huge promo, they will tour it massively and generate shitloads*

*This will also depend upon one vocalists vocals being in good shape, and said vocalist being in shape themselves.

Yeah its a shame how shit the music industry is nowdays.

Each and every person that believes music should be free or that it isn't valuable enough to hand over a few dollars/pounds/euros/whatever for is to blame for that one. 

They're usually the same people who ask why new bands never get anywhere these days. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, Sweersa said:

Most of this forum is full of hardcore GN'R fans. (Obviously) Our opinions really don't matter that much to GN'R camp, I'd imagine. Casual listeners and fans are their target. 

Most casual listeners and fans probably don't even know who's in the band now. A majority of people who bought or listened to Chinese Democracy probably though Slash was on that album. 

I think it’s a simple matter of the label and band wanting to recreate a $500 million tour. Last time, a reunited lineup was the draw. This time it will be a new album - but the impact of that album and its draw as a tour attraction is diminished because the band can’t tour behind it now. A tour of that size backing a new album also has sponsor commitments which cannot be met until the band can tour. Releasing a new album before they can tour behind it will diminish its impact.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 6:14 AM, allwaystired said:

Each and every person that believes music should be free or that it isn't valuable enough to hand over a few dollars/pounds/euros/whatever for is to blame for that one. 

They're usually the same people who ask why new bands never get anywhere these days. 

Completely agree.

I always pay for new music especially new bands. Always happy to give money tk new bands.

The exception was CD when i ripped it from a torrent site when  it was released.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

We should start a GoFundMe to raise enough money to clone Axl, and then force the Axl clone to make albums for us.

Get Evader more Axl stems and that can basically be something we can do as fans ourselves :lol:

• Haha 1

I pre-ordered PWR/UP in the double yellow LP and the CD light up box versions. Both directly from the band’s store. Do I need the CD? No, but I think it’s cool and now I’ve bought the physical album twice. Again, it’s as if AC/DC has a management team that understands its fan base and tries to give them what they want :shrugs:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I pre-ordered PWR/UP in the double yellow LP and the CD light up box versions. Both directly from the band’s store. Do I need the CD? No, but I think it’s cool and now I’ve bought the physical album twice. Again, it’s as if AC/DC has a management team that understands its fan base and tries to give them what they want :shrugs:

Basically- you make something look good, price it right, and as if by magic.....fans want to buy it! 

That CD looks great. It's got a speaker built into the case hasn't it, so it plays the CD itself? 

Edited by allwaystired