The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?

Even though Taylor Swift has been able to release two albums this year, Axl can still blame COVID. Swift has used the only available recording studio open in the entire world, so it's literally impossible for Axl to record a new album, because there are no studios left.  Stupid COVID ruining Ax;'s plans. Chinese Democracy 2 starts... sometime after the vaccine. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, RussTCB said:

I finally reached the point of "if I ever hear more new GNR music, cool. If not, cool". 

Leaks really don't interested me anymore either way though. I haven't listened to anything from the last round of leaks in a really, really long time. I doubt I ever will again actually.

If stuff like Hard School (still the dumbest name for a song ever), Perhaps & Atlas Shrugged get official releases someday, I'll most likely buy the album. I doubt I'll ever listen to the leaks every again though. 

If more stuff leaks and it's just "Madagascar version 116" or something like that, I know for sure I won't bother with it. If a brand new song with complete Axl vocals leaks, I'd probably take a listen but I wouldn't be in any big hurry to do so. 

I haven't listen to the leaks at all and I'm completely with you. If they choose to release something, there's no way I won't buy it, but I'm not interested in any leaks. Playing new music live is another story but due to covid that's not an option right now and GNR are not a band who'll do us fans a favour by doing a Covid-video-session. That's totally lame by know.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 10:26 PM, metallex78 said:

It’s from 1996 or 97, Matt Sorum released an instructional drumming home video, and this was his example of how bands work on songs together.

Ah cheers! At first I thought VR but Matt's hair is so mid to late 90s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean said:

21F311A3-C772-41AC-861E-0461CDCDEE61.jpeg.2e05e3eff250e224e57b2bd1f1053e7c.jpeg

Artists nowadays and from centuries ago - absolutely no respect for this global pandemic.

Yes, same Chris Cornell, now he release his cover album( Patience cover too). I never imagined as disrepectful would be Chris Cornell.....:D

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I just Heard the leaks for the very first time and i loved Hardschool Big time . I really don't know why Axl didn't include it on Chinese. Is way better than most of the songs of it. I Guess it's an obvious choice if sometime they release a new one

Yeah, they sound-tested "Hard School" prior to their very last shows this year in Mexico (Axl too). Someone leaked a snippet of it. It actually seems like they were thinking about eventually, maybe, potentially, including it in the actual live set.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, agustingloger said:

I just Heard the leaks for the very first time and i loved Hardschool Big time . I really don't know why Axl didn't include it on Chinese. Is way better than most of the songs of it. I Guess it's an obvious choice if sometime they release a new one

My own theory is that Hard School came from the 94-96 session. The song structure is classic GNR. I don't think Nu-GNR worked on it. Also Hard School was once known as Jackie Chan. In a 1997 interview, Duff alluded to the Jackie Chan song when he was still in GNR at the time. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Draguns said:

My own theory is that Hard School came from the 94-96 session. The song structure is classic GNR. I don't think Nu-GNR worked on it. Also Hard School was once known as Jackie Chan. In a 1997 interview, Duff alluded to the Jackie Chan song when he was still in GNR at the time. 

I tried to figure out what Jackie Chan movie was it for. Seems to be Mr. Nice Guy, the one where he fights one of my favorite Martial Artists- Richard Norton :) Anyway, I do agree that Duff was talking about Hard School (in a Howard Stern interview) , it only makes sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Draguns said:

Makes sense. Totally rocks

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I finally gave in and just listened to Hard School.. Sounds just as bad or mediocre as all the other Chinese Democracy songs.. Starting with Axl's voice... The rest of it doesn't sound anything like classic Guns N' Roses.. People are reaching...

Not reaching at all. Listen to the tempo and how the song is structured. It's similar to You Could Be Mine and Don't Damn Me.  I seriously doubt it came from the Nu-GNR. Again, Duff did mention this song. It's probably one of the songs they were working on in 94-96.  For me, I really like this song! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I finally gave in and just listened to Hard School.. Sounds just as bad or mediocre as all the other Chinese Democracy songs.. Starting with Axl's voice... The rest of it doesn't sound anything like classic Guns N' Roses.. People are reaching...

The intro is a bit too long (common CD-era problem) and the song gets kinda lost in the middle, but the bulk of the song isn't too far from the classic GNR style. It's not AFD, but it's not a drastic departure from UYI either. If they'd cut it down to a 2,5-3 min rocker, it would've suited the UYI lineup. The only others that really seem like they could've worked with that lineup are The Blues and Perhaps, IMO. (Did you listen to the other leaks or just Hardschool?)

I said it another thread but I'll say it again here... I think no matter when a UYI follow-up was released, Axl would've adopted the clean voice. Dead Flowers on Gilby's album and Anxious Disease in '96 already had that cleaner vocal style.

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I feel pretty much this way too. It’s mediocre. Nothing classic GN’R about it at all. A weak CD era sounding rocker.

That said, what Slash and Duff added to it in the soundcheck clip, certainly made it sound closer to classic GN’R. I really wish we had the whole song from soundcheck from hearing that tease. 

Edited by metallex78
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I feel pretty much this way too. It’s mediocre. Nothing classic GN’R about it at all. A weak CD era sounding rocker.

That said, what Slash and Duff added to it in the soundcheck clip, certainly made it sound closer to classic GN’R. I really wish we had the whole song from soundcheck from hearing that tease. 

Hopefully it gets played as part of their 2021 tour, and as part of their Oz shows.

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The intro is a bit too long (common CD-era problem) and the song gets kinda lost in the middle, but the bulk of the song isn't too far from the classic GNR style. It's not AFD, but it's not a drastic departure from UYI either. If they'd cut it down to a 2,5-3 min rocker, it would've suited the UYI lineup. The only others that really seem like they could've worked with that lineup are The Blues and Perhaps, IMO. (Did you listen to the other leaks or just Hardschool?)

I said it another thread but I'll say it again here... I think no matter when a UYI follow-up was released, Axl would've adopted the clean voice. Dead Flowers on Gilby's album and Anxious Disease in '96 already had that cleaner vocal style.

I still hear the illusions lineup when i hear TWAT , SOD, and catcher that were leaked.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

• janrichmond changed the title to The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?
  • alfierose pinned this topic