The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

58 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

As much as I hate to say this, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the only reason Hardschool was soundchecked is because it leaked, and nothing more.

I wonder what Axl's reaction was after hearing news about all of the leaks.

It would be cool if another big one happened for 2001-2007 material. :)

1 hour ago, BangoSkank said:

Of course - Better, IRS, & TWAT only got played in '06 after the leaks. Without that we probably wouldn't have even heard it soundchecked.

Exactly! I also wonder if the Skrewl leak in 2008 had something to do with the album finally coming out (along with Dr. Pepper, Best Buy, and Azoff, of course).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Exactly! I also wonder if the Skrewl leak in 2008 had something to do with the album finally coming out (along with Dr. Pepper, Best Buy, and Azoff, of course).

For sure, considering the hands off approach Axl took with promoting CD. 

2 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

For sure, considering the hands off approach Axl took with promoting CD. 

You’d think the massive 2019 leak would’ve lead to a new album too then, tho I suppose they figured the Hardschool soundcheck was enough “proof” to court that a new album was coming. Idk, just theorizing.

30 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

You’d think the massive 2019 leak would’ve lead to a new album too then, tho I suppose they figured the Hardschool soundcheck was enough “proof” to court that a new album was coming. Idk, just theorizing.

one of the possible differences between before Chinese was released and 2019 is that Chinese was ready for release and Axl  already wanted to release it in 2006 but they first need to complete an album with Slash and Duff to release it and I'm guessing they're not there yet. Even if Axl got a shitload of material he cannot release it without fully incorporating Slash and Duff.

also my guess is Axl will not just let Slash rerecord Chinese era tunes so if he's going to use new Slash compositions that means more time will be required to finish the record.

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

one of the possible differences between before Chinese was released and 2019 is that Chinese was ready for release and Axl  already wanted to release it in 2006 but they first need to complete an album with Slash and Duff to release it and I'm guessing they're not there yet. Even if Axl got a shitload of material he cannot release it without fully incorporating Slash and Duff.

also my guess is Axl will not just let Slash rerecord Chinese era tunes so if he's going to use new Slash compositions that means more time will be required to finish the record.

They are not going to shit-can some of the "big guns" from CD2 so I fully expect at the very least half of that album being used on the next one, if not all or most of it. 

I am hoping that whatever songs they pick, new or old, all I know is the last thing I would want is Slash re-recording in 2021 a Bumble part from 2007 that was recorded alongside Axl vocals from 1999 and with Josh Freese drums that Brain recorded over only to be replaced by Frank lol

So I hope that there is just a bit more of an actual band recording setting to capture the energy of the band in a way that IMO Chinese didn't (hell even Frank can sound great recorded judging by the couple random singles from bands he recorded with these past few years)

16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

They are not going to shit-can some of the "big guns" from CD2 so I fully expect at the very least half of that album being used on the next one, if not all or most of it. 

who knows right? I agree that some CD era material could fit and could also be too good to not use but maybe it all depends on what kind of album they want to release. maybe it's not just about having a great song to release but if it works in the context of the album and reflects Gn'R musically and lyrically now?

I mean for all we know Axl could be planning a double album and that will make more room for what Slash and Duff can bring to it now but even if it's just 1 album, I think what would benefit the music the most is if Slash and Duff get to really contribute to it new ideas and also the rest of the lineup including Axl which is something he kinda touched on in the China Exchange interview with the whole writing lyrics first comment.

It indicates he could be interested in creating new material for the album so why not give the rest of the band a chance to do it too? even Pitman got to write a song for Chinese. Axl's approach to it seems to be to try everything and to give everyone in the band a chance to contribute which I think, if true, is the best course of action cause we know he's not one of those artists that can do it on their own.

Edited by Rovim

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

who knows right? I agree that some CD era material could fit and could also be too good to not use but maybe it all depends on what kind of album they want to release. maybe it's not just about having a great song to release but if it works in the context of the album and reflects Gn'R musically and lyrically now?

I mean for all we know Axl could be planning a double album and that will make more room for what Slash and Duff can bring to it now but even if it's just 1 album, I think what would benefit the music the most is if Slash and Duff get to really contribute to it new ideas and also the rest of the lineup including Axl which is something he kinda touched on in the China Exchange interview with the whole writing lyrics first comment.

It indicates he could be interested in creating new material for the album so why not give the rest of the band a chance to do it too? even Pitman got to write a song for Chinese. Axl's approach to it seems to be to try everything and to give everyone in the band a chance to contribute which I think, if true, is the best course of action cause we know he's not one of those artists that can do it on their own.

I'd very much like for it to be a double. We know in 2006 Axl said they have 2.5 albums worth of material. 1 was released in 2008, that leaves 1.5 albums worth of material, and I believe new songs have occurred since then so a double album is certainly possible by 2021.

19 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'd very much like for it to be a double. We know in 2006 Axl said they have 2.5 albums worth of material. 1 was released in 2008, that leaves 1.5 albums worth of material, and I believe new songs have occurred since then so a double album is certainly possible by 2021.

I'm thinking zero chance for even 1 album in 2021. and I think Axl does, in fact, has a ton of material from the Chinese era. I remember DJ saying how Axl played him new shit he came up with that DJ thought was great in hotel rooms during the tours for example. It only make sense that Axl has accumulated a lot of great tunes over the years. A lot of great musicians/composers worked for him as well but again... this is a version of Gn'R with Slash in it.

why would you not inject as much Gn'R identity to it when you're trying to make a Gn'R album? Slash is inherently more Gn'R compared to any other player that replaced him. Slash's absence from the band forced Axl to make a different kind of record, not just his own musical ambitions imo.

now he can potentially realize his musical vision in a more complete way by combining his best unreleased musical achievements from the Chinese era with more "Gn'R dna" that only Slash and Duff can bring to the table. Maybe for the first time in some ways and now they're on the same page, willing to make it a reality together, hopefully. The goal here is not just a great record imo. It's to make a great Gn'R record and I highly doubt they'll get there this year.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

2.5 albums of material, doesn't mean 2.5 albums of releasable music. Regardless, I don't think we'll ever hear what Axl initially intended, but maybe Slash and Duff can improve some of the songs, make them a little more stripped back or add a new riff that gives it a more traditional GNR sound. 

After 12 years since CD, a double album would be nice! But my preference is 8-10 quality songs, anything less than amazing that they really want to release can be bonus editions or B-sides. A new album by GNR should be quality over quantity.

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

You might be right: this would of course take more time. But they already had FIVE fucking years to get shit done! 😂

12 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

You might be right: this would of course take more time. But they already had FIVE fucking years to get shit done! 😂

yeah but they've spent most of that time touring and just meeting the high demand of the reunion. I hope the forced down time will be used for working on the album.

just out of curiosity, how many versions of Atlas have been leaked?  only version I heard sounded like Axl pulled the instrumental part off an old Nintendo game.  I didn't think it was good at all.  maybe I didnt hear the right version?  Vocals were decent on the version I heard, but that's it.

15 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

just out of curiosity, how many versions of Atlas have been leaked?  only version I heard sounded like Axl pulled the instrumental part off an old Nintendo game.  I didn't think it was good at all.  maybe I didnt hear the right version?  Vocals were decent on the version I heard, but that's it.

All are pretty much the same, like same effects and all that, the only difference in arrangements from my memory is Josh versus Brain playing the drum track, or additional guitar overdubs on the Rough Mixes #1 disk

I forgot how many actual different literal mixes there are because I deleted all but the best sounding Josh version and best sounding Brain version lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

2.5 albums of material, doesn't mean 2.5 albums of releasable music.

In 2014 he said there was a CD remix and a follow-up to CD already done. So it's probable 2-2.5 albums were ready in 2006.

We already know one album more or less was ready by the end of 2000, with many more songs just needing vocals.

"Releasable music" is subjective though. 

18 hours ago, El Guapo said:

At this point I have a very hard time believing that a new album will be any good, regardless if the songs are new or old. I just can't imagine these guys creating real music with heart and soul anymore, sadly.

I don't think that was ever a problem for Gn'R. Axl got material from when he was much younger as well probably. At the very least they can release something like Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth ie using rerecorded and updated old material (not that I think Axl will actually do the same thing to that extent) but anything is better than nothing at all cause Axl doesn't release subpar records.

I believe Slash is not stupid so he knows what's the quality standard in Gn'R and I don't think he ever lost his ability to create brilliant compositions. It just wasn't his goal to dig that deep for his own stuff in most cases plus the 3 of them together are much stronger musically compared to on their own imo.

Edited by Rovim