The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

28 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

The Hard School soundcheck was just the carrot on the stick to keep us interested in a band that's totally running out of steam for anything other than touring

Pretty rotten carrot if you ask me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

just out of curiosity, how many versions of Atlas have been leaked?  only version I heard sounded like Axl pulled the instrumental part off an old Nintendo game.  I didn't think it was good at all.  maybe I didnt hear the right version?  Vocals were decent on the version I heard, but that's it.

At least 4, maybe 5? Can't remember if the 'regular drums' and RM1 versions are the same, I think they are though? The 2001 mix has some extra guitars and sounds a little more polished (it's easily the best one, IMO).

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

At least 4, maybe 5? Can't remember if the 'regular drums' and RM1 versions are the same, I think they are though? The 2001 mix has some extra guitars and sounds a little more polished (it's easily the best one, IMO).

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

I have every version except the 2001 mix :lol:

20 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

Did the 2001 mix leak togheter with the village studio leak? Which songs was (re)mixed in 2001? I remember having 2001 versions of madagascar and the blues, but those leaked before the village studio.

20 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

Rough Mixes 1 is the oldest, and has extra guitar. This is probably my favorite mix.

The three Brain db level mixes have spectacular sounding drums, but the vocals seem a bit lower in the mix. 

2001 mix has different drums than all of the others, from what I can hear. This one seems to be mixed well, but they dropped a guitar out of it that was noticeably present in the RM1 version. 

If I had to pick the personal best versions of the 14 Chinese Democracy songs, just for fun:

• Chinese Democracy (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Shackler's Revenge (album version)
  • Better (Harley Davidson 2007 version)
  • Street of Dreams (album version)
  • If The World (Rough Mix #2 version)
  • There Was a Time (album version)
  • Catcher in the Rye (Rough Mix #1 version)
  • Scraped (album version)
  • Riad N' The Bedouins (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Sorry (Rough Mix #2 version with vocals)
  • I.R.S. (album version)
  • Madagascar (album version)
  • This I Love (album version)
  • Prostitute (Brain demo from 2001)

As for Atlas, the 2001 mix is my go-to.

4 hours ago, jettesnel said:

Did the 2001 mix leak togheter with the village studio leak? Which songs was (re)mixed in 2001? I remember having 2001 versions of madagascar and the blues, but those leaked before the village studio.

Yea The Blues and Madagascar leaked probably 6-12 months before the Village stuff? There was one disc of mixes from summer 2001 in the Village leaks though, I'll send it to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gackt said:

If I had to pick the personal best versions of the 14 Chinese Democracy songs, just for fun:

• Chinese Democracy (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Shackler's Revenge (album version)
  • Better (Harley Davidson 2007 version)
  • Street of Dreams (album version)
  • If The World (Rough Mix #2 version)
  • There Was a Time (album version)
  • Catcher in the Rye (Rough Mix #1 version)
  • Scraped (album version)
  • Riad N' The Bedouins (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Sorry (Rough Mix #2 version with vocals)
  • I.R.S. (album version)
  • Madagascar (album version)
  • This I Love (album version)
  • Prostitute (Brain demo from 2001)

As for Atlas, the 2001 mix is my go-to.

Nice! I actually prefer the album versions of everything except Street Of Dreams (MSL Leak), If The World (Rough Mixes 2), There Was A Time (Antiquiet Leak), and Riad (Rough Mixes 1). But it’s cool to see other opinions on this!

15 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Old Man Slash seems cool! Way more talkative and “animated” these days lol.

heh yeah very chill and was cracking jokes. Sobriety seems to agree with him. I like that he sometimes holds his guitar vertically while sitting down at home too when going for the high notes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

Just started listening. Already disappointed (expectedly) at how most of what he's doing or at least talking about is with Myles and Conspirators. I enjoy that band a lot, but I'm hungry for GNR news. Looks like, as usual, there is none.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Just started listening. Already disappointed (expectedly) at how most of what he's doing or at least talking about is with Myles and Conspirators. I enjoy that band a lot, but I'm hungry for GNR news. Looks like, as usual, there is none.

He did say he was jamming with/ writing for both smkc AND gnr, to be fair, but he did say GnR second and it did sound a little passive, yeah.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl already has the drum/rhythm/synth tracks to weave Slash (and Duff) into, it's not like he really needs to jam or write that much for GNR. So of course he's gonna talk about the band that he has more creative control over and can actually release music with.

does that mean you think every song on a potential album will be from the CD era? maybe there could be a scenario where Slash comes up with a completely new instrumental with more than just a riff that Axl will want to use or even a bunch of them.

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

does that mean you think every song on a potential album will be from the CD era? maybe there could be a scenario where Slash comes up with a completely new instrumental with more than just a riff that Axl will want to use or even a bunch of them.

Yea it's totally possible they throw some newly written stuff in there, but I'd guess most songs would be reworked CD2 songs.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea it's totally possible they throw some newly written stuff in there, but I'd guess most songs would be reworked CD2 songs.

21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I would say most, if not all will be CD era.

I guess it's possible that Axl already kinda figured out what he wants the next album to be. Maybe the themes and even some specific tunes are already decided on or even most of it and he mainly wants to add Slash leads and rhythm guitars plus Duff on top of the foundation that was created by the Slashless lineups. I really don't know.

on one hand, the fact Axl mentioned Slash and Duff liking the unreleased CD era material supports this. On the other, why would he mention he wants to start from lyrics? maybe since he completed CD ll there are more themes he wants to incorporate, to write about?

it would definitely save time if Axl only needs Slash and Duff to mostly enhance and add to a pretty much completed puzzle.

it's all specualtion, but I'm not sure how I feel about Slash just reworking Chinese tunes for the most part. This way, at least on paper, you don't get Robin's and Bucket's actual performances and you also don't get a lot of Slash compositions so it really is just a diluted Chinese part 2 kinda thing only instead of Bucket, Robin, and Bumble you get Slash so it actually sounds like Gn'R. I can see Axl doing this.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Based on the Village sessions alone then we know there is quality material there to be built upon so I’d be more than happy if that was the basis of the majority of the new album. Slash and Duff adding/changing Village stuff is fine by me.

FWIW I think it will be a 50/50 effort between Village stuff and new compositions.

Im not fussy how any new album is made up TBH....😂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I guess it's possible that Axl already kinda figured out what he wants the next album to be. Maybe the themes and even some specific tunes are already decided on or even most of it and he mainly wants to add Slash leads and rhythm guitars plus Duff on top of the foundation that was created by the Slashless lineups. I really don't know.

on one hand, the fact Axl mentioned Slash and Duff liking the unreleased CD era material supports this. On the other, why would he mention he wants to start from lyrics? maybe since he completed CD ll there are more themes he wants to incorporate, to write about?

it would definitely save time if Axl only needs Slash and Duff to mostly enhance and add to a pretty much completed puzzle.

it's all specualtion, but I'm not sure how I feel about Slash just reworking Chinese tunes for the most part. This way, at least on paper, you don't get Robin's and Bucket's actual performances and you also don't get a lot of Slash compositions so it really is just a diluted Chinese part 2 kinda thing only instead of Bucket, Robin, and Bumble you get Slash so it actually sounds like Gn'R. I can see Axl doing this.

CD2 has been finished for probably a decade, so he's got songs for Slash and Duff to work with. But then the issue becomes, assuming he already knows how the next album is 'supposed to' sound, which songs would maintain their integrity? Slash and Duff seem to have changed Hardschool for the better, and they'd probably sound good on stuff like Perhaps, Oklahoma, The Rebel, etc. but can you imagine Slash improvings songs like State of Grace, The General or Zodiac?

A 'diluted CD2' certainly wouldn't be ideal but it seems the most likely.

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Based on the Village sessions alone then we know there is quality material there to be built upon so I’d be more than happy if that was the basis of the majority of the new album. Slash and Duff adding/changing Village stuff is fine by me.

FWIW I think it will be a 50/50 effort between Village stuff and new compositions.

Im not fussy how any new album is made up TBH....😂.

If NITL has taught us anything, it's that we should expect an excessive amount of covers. :lol: