The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

CD2 has been finished for probably a decade, so he's got songs for Slash and Duff to work with. But then the issue becomes, assuming he already knows how the next album is 'supposed to' sound, which songs would maintain their integrity? Slash and Duff seem to have changed Hardschool for the better, and they'd probably sound good on stuff like Perhaps, Oklahoma, The Rebel, etc. but can you imagine Slash improvings songs like State of Grace, The General or Zodiac?

A 'diluted CD2' certainly wouldn't be ideal but it seems the most likely.

If NITL has taught us anything, it's that we should expect an excessive amount of covers. :lol:

I’ll be honest - I’d be completely fine with a studio version of Wichita Lineman....I think I’m one of the very few folk on here who actually likes it! Prefer it to be a b-side as to not waste a space right enough! 🤣

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’ll be honest - I’d be completely fine with a studio version of Wichita Lineman....I think I’m one of the very few folk on here who actually likes it! Prefer it to be a b-side as to not waste a space right enough! 🤣

Honestly it was another missed opportunity not releasing an EP or something around 2018, they should've thrown The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Hardschool and one other track out there to keep people interested.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly it was another missed opportunity not releasing an EP or something around 2018, they should've thrown The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Hardschool and one other track out there to keep people interested.

Totally agree - a tour EP was the easiest thing in the world to do and would have likely gave extra impetus to the latter stages of NITL......and yet nothing. 🙄

• Like 1

Working on existing material or writing new music together... whatever they chose to do, I think Slash's already done with what he's responsible for. That's the impression I got of the interviews he gave. He was more focused on Guns and now he seems to be concentrating on SMKC.

So either he has done what he had to do for Guns and is now waiting for Axl, or they scrapped the whole idea of new GNR record but he won't tell for not causing any damage.

Edited by Free Bird

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Working on existing material or writing new music together... whatever they chose to do, I think Slash's already done with what he's responsible for. That's the impression I got of the interviews he gave. He was more focused on Guns and now he seems to be concentrating on SMKC.

So either he has done what he had to do for Guns and is now waiting for Axl, or they scrapped the whole idea of new GNR record but he won't tell for not causing any damage.

The record isn't scrapped, we know nothing, but we know that much. There's no way it's scrapped and Slash is out doing interviews stating that he's "hoping it's released in 2021". By saying that he hopes it gets released in 2021, as flimsy as that is! it puts a delivery time on the record, when 2021 is over with and the record isn't here, more damage has been done than the alternative of just saying "We tried to get a few songs together but it just wasn't happening".

One thing I hope is that Slash and Duff have contributed on more than just a recoding musician level. I would have been over the moon to have heard CD II in all its glory in 2014, but now with Slash and Duff in the band I want to hear what Slash, Duff, Axl and co can write, right now. Obviously there's no point throwing out great songs, so if there's great CD II songs then they should be included, but Slash and Duffs songwriting should 100% be present too!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

One thing I hope is that Slash and Duff have contributed on more than just a recoding musician level. I would have been over the moon to have heard CD II in all its glory in 2014, but now with Slash and Duff in the band I want to hear what Slash, Duff, Axl and co can write, right now. Obviously there's no point throwing out great songs, so if there's great CD II songs then they should be included, but Slash and Duffs songwriting should 100% be present too!

I totally agree with that man, I personally have zero interest anymore in really much of any of the tracks that were tracked in the Chinese era.  That era creatively is a decade or more past, and I don't want Slash and Duff merely overdubbing parts on 10-20 year old drum/vocal/additional guitar tracks.  I am down for a few fresh re-recordings of CD era song with the current lineup with additions and revisions from Slash and Duff though

I would love to hear some freshly written songs coming from Slash, Duff, and Axl

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dean said:

Scrapping 20 year old vocal recordings of Axl Rose in his pomp should be a massive no go. 

I get it for sure, just to me it would be like Playboy releasing photos of Pam Anderdon from 20 years ago going "here is the brand new Pam Anderson photoshoot" lol.

I would rather he just release the CD era tracks as-is in a "1996-2008 Chinese Era" boxset related to that era and hang it up if he can't bring new vocals to a new GNR album, although judging by Rock the Rock I still think he can rock it in the studio

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

A 'diluted CD2' certainly wouldn't be ideal but it seems the most likely.

you're probably right. It's how Axl operates, he just adds current players to existing work/replaces those who left with whoever joins the band.

Axl insinuated that CD ll is similar to Chinese. Slash played 8 Chinese tunes live and the HS souncheck was cool so maybe the material that doesn't fit his style of playing would be replaced with other songs from the CD era or new stuff that Axl came up with since CD ll was completed. (plus Down By The Ocean)

I guess I believed that because it's Slash, Axl will give him a chance to contribute as much as he did for Appetite and UYI but maybe that was wishful thinking.

if they manage to release a Guns album and it's mostly CD era material with Slash on top, then that means Axl got what he wanted in a way: he didn't want to go in Slash's musical direction or Gilby's and Izzy left so Paul, Robin, and Bucket, players that Axl wanted in the band laid the foundation for 2 albums. (Chinese and the next one)

I'm more and more convinced that they're just waiting for Axl, indeed. Plus they probably only want to release stuff when they can tour it. Obviously, that doesn't "logically excuse" their not releasing singles/EPs/videos etc., but... I guess this is the way it is. 

34 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I get it for sure, just to me it would be like Playboy releasing photos of Pam Anderdon from 20 years ago going "here is the brand new Pam Anderson photoshoot" lol.

I would rather he just release the CD era tracks as-is in a "1996-2008 Chinese Era" boxset related to that era and hang it up if he can't bring new vocals to a new GNR album, although judging by Rock the Rock I still think he can rock it in the studio

It’s all going to be new to us, and Chinese to begin with had vocals that were 9-10 years old by that point, so no need to deprive us of vocals that carry such swagger in my opinion. Just out of curiosity I had a look at what Pamela is looking like nowadays and she is still 🔥 

Don’t get me wrong, I do not doubt Axl’s vocal chops nowadays, in a studio, he’d still be able to produce the goods, but I want to hear more from that period vocally speaking - the casual listener would be none the wiser.

I played Hardschool back in 2019 for my friend and the first thing he said after hearing it was that he couldn’t believe how young Axl sounded.

2 minutes ago, Nesret said:

I for one hope that all the Chinese-stuff remains as untouched as possible, if it's ever being used at all. I actively dislike the Better-Intro as well as the overrated-as-fuck HS-soundcheck, not to mention all the fucked up solos and what not. They shit all over these songs, so I hope they stay away from that era and at least make something on their own. All I personally want are the Village-demos with vocals.

This gentleman speaks truth.

1 hour ago, Nesret said:

I for one hope that all the Chinese-stuff remains as untouched as possible, if it's ever being used at all. I actively dislike the Better-Intro as well as the overrated-as-fuck HS-soundcheck, not to mention all the fucked up solos and what not. They shit all over these songs, so I hope they stay away from that era and at least make something on their own. All I personally want are the Village-demos with vocals.

This.

55 minutes ago, Dean said:

It’s all going to be new to us, and Chinese to begin with had vocals that were 9-10 years old by that point, so no need to deprive us of vocals that carry such swagger in my opinion. Just out of curiosity I had a look at what Pamela is looking like nowadays and she is still 🔥 

Don’t get me wrong, I do not doubt Axl’s vocal chops nowadays, in a studio, he’d still be able to produce the goods, but I want to hear more from that period vocally speaking - the casual listener would be none the wiser.

I played Hardschool back in 2019 for my friend and the first thing he said after hearing it was that he couldn’t believe how young Axl sounded.

This gentleman speaks truth.

I want to hear vocals that he can reproduce on a live stage. What's the point in hearing these crazy vocals from 20yrs ago if when it comes to playing any one of the songs live he's struggling? IF he could sing the way he does on those old recordings then keeping makes sense, beyond that I don't get it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The record isn't scrapped, we know nothing, but we know that much. There's no way it's scrapped and Slash is out doing interviews stating that he's "hoping it's released in 2021". By saying that he hopes it gets released in 2021, as flimsy as that is! it puts a delivery time on the record, when 2021 is over with and the record isn't here, more damage has been done than the alternative of just saying "We tried to get a few songs together but it just wasn't happening".

He doesn't put a delivery time when he says he's hoping. Everybody knows, even when they have the whole record written and recorded, it's still Axl who has to be ready. And it's not only his vocals. It's all his farts and layers that he's adding to the music... by saying he's hoping, he basically says, that he has done all he could but know it isn't up to him anymore.

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

He doesn't put a delivery time when he says he's hoping. Everybody knows, even when they have the whole record written and recorded, it's still Axl who has to be ready. And it's not only his vocals. It's all his farts and layers that he's adding to the music... by saying he's hoping, he basically says, that he has done all he could but know it isn't up to him anymore.

I don't think the average reader of nme, blabbermouth, RS know that when Slash says something about releases he isn't in charge of the timeline. Most people would assume if Slash says something that there's pretty firm plans in place that Axl is on board with.

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think the average reader of nme, blabbermouth, RS know that when Slash says something about releases he isn't in charge of the timeline. Most people would assume if Slash says something that there's pretty firm plans in place that Axl is on board with.

Probably... but you and me know better.

50 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I want to hear vocals that he can reproduce on a live stage. What's the point in hearing these crazy vocals from 20yrs ago if when it comes to playing any one of the songs live he's struggling? IF he could sing the way he does on those old recordings then keeping makes sense, beyond that I don't get it. 

His vocal approach and technique for live shows has gotten him thus far, I don't think that will change any time soon, so regardless of how stellar he is currently in a studio setting, it will no doubt sound vastly different in a live setting, though will still hit the notes he has to - which he has done for the most part these last 10 years - just in a different 'clean' style that gets him through a 3 hour show. 

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

His vocal approach and technique for live shows has gotten him thus far, I don't think that will change any time soon, so regardless of how stellar he is currently in a studio setting, it will no doubt sound vastly different in a live setting, though will still hit the notes he has to - which he has done for the most part these last 10 years - just in a different 'clean' style that gets him through a 3 hour show. 

That's all true😄

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Dean said:

I don't care about him hitting 'the notes' if he still sounds like a grandma getting strangled.

At this point, how he delivers something live is way less important to me that what he can do in a studio. 

I'd sacrifice never seeing them live again in a heartbeat for new material. If they wanted to release a new album, then tour and play nothing from it, and do all the old songs really really badly, I'd be fine with that. I just wouldn't go. 

• Like 2

I don't really think Axl has much of a plan. I mean what exactly was his plan for Chinese Democracy? After so many years I really thought there would be something epic, but the CD cover didn't even look very professional. There were some good songs on there but nothing really so different or interesting. They definitely have enough stuff knocking around to make a really solid album, but I don't think Axl really cares. Even Angus Young said that Axl was involved with a lot of stuff 'but I dont know if you can say it was music.' That to me means that Axl is perhaps more focused on the tours or merchandise rather than getting back in the studio.

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I certainly wouldn’t want any brand-new shots of Pam. I’ll take the 20+ year old ones for sure.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I don't care about him hitting 'the notes' if he still sounds like a grandma getting strangled.

It is what it is at this point - you can guarantee he will sound ferocious on a new record though, and hopefully, he'll be back singing with swagger like he did in 2016.