The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

20 minutes ago, Rovim said:

most people don't buy the physical product anymore. It's just a fact. So most of the money doesn't come from selling the physical copies.

But those people don't buy it at all. They pay for a streaming service and that's it.

23 minutes ago, Rovim said:

most people don't buy the physical product anymore. It's just a fact. So most of the money doesn't come from selling the physical copies.

Don’t know about “most people”, but the fact remains that a lot of people still do and are going to, especially older generations. And even if most people streamed it or whatever, these “old-timers” won’t switch to this type of sources just because. So if, hypothetically, physical records completely ceased to be released, we’d pirate them and then put them in our hard drives. Meaning the band wouldn’t get the money it normally would have from a physical record. There may be less and less in it, but it’s still something to take into account.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

sidenote: you like 8 Chinese tunes out of the 15 released. Exactly 39.26 minutes of Chinese you enjoy out of the full album which is 1:11:18.

I promise you that was completely unintentional! :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

If you can't remember the albums, you're not really in a position to judge them. ;) And no, it's not totally different. Both albums feature stronger and not so strong songs. Songs that wouldn't have been released, if they didn't have 140 minutes of music to fill. Nevermind on the other hand... :P;)

Again, I do remember clearly thinking it should have been a single album, unlike UYI. Also, I see a certain difference between a not-so-strong-song and a filler. But yeah, it’s obviously different to each of us, which is why I said to each their own. ;) 

Just now, jamillos said:

Don’t know about “most people”, but the fact remains that a lot of people still do and are going to, especially older generations. And even if most people streamed it or whatever, these “old-timers” won’t switch to this type of sources just because. So if, hypothetically, physical records completely ceased to be released, we’d pirate them and then put them in our hard drives. Meaning the band wouldn’t get the money it normally would have from a physical record. There may be less and less in it, but it’s still something to take into account.  

Not trying to be a pedant here... 

According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), CD album sales in the United States have dropped by 97 percent since peaking in 2000 and are currently at their lowest level since 1986, when Whitney Houston's self-titled debut album topped the Billboard charts.

Having been hit by the rise of filesharing and MP3 players in the early 2000s, CD sales nearly halved between 2000 and 2007, which is when smartphones and the first music streaming services emerged to put the final nail in the compact disc’s little round coffin.

In 2020, 31.6 million CD albums were sold in the United States, accounting for less than 4 percent if music industry revenues.

5 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Not trying to be a pedant here... 

According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), CD album sales in the United States have dropped by 97 percent since peaking in 2000 and are currently at their lowest level since 1986, when Whitney Houston's self-titled debut album topped the Billboard charts.

Having been hit by the rise of filesharing and MP3 players in the early 2000s, CD sales nearly halved between 2000 and 2007, which is when smartphones and the first music streaming services emerged to put the final nail in the compact disc’s little round coffin.

In 2020, 31.6 million CD albums were sold in the United States, accounting for less than 4 percent if music industry revenues.

I have no problem with this (the question is whether the US can be compared to the rest of the world, but even if it was the case), but I maintain that if I don’t get a physical CD, I’m pirating it, definitely not moving to streaming services or whatever the hell. There’s still money in it (they can make preliminary surveys, can’t they), and records will be records – or do you expect grandfathers to go fully online? 
Once again – other bands do it (without getting financially ruined), so can this one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I have no problem with this (the question is whether the US can be compared to the rest of the world, but even if it was the case), but I maintain that if I don’t get a physical CD, I’m pirating it, definitely not moving to streaming services or whatever the hell. There’s still money in it (they can make preliminary surveys, can’t they), and records will be records – or do you expect grandfathers to go fully online? 
Once again – other bands do it (without getting financially ruined), so can this one. 

Christ, you are making me work here! Hahaha! Again, fair point. So short answer is no, US is not comparable to other countries other than perhaps UK in terms of digital uplift. However, the US market value is just slightly smaller than the combined other 4 spots in the top 5 across the globe. I couldn't get a breakdown of the physical purchases as to whether they were CD or vinyl. But we can reasonably assume, that the uptake in physical will be vinyl... I think. 

Music markets, with total retail value, and share of Physical, Digital records
Ranking Market Retail value
US $
(millions)
Physical Digital Performance Rights Synchronization
1 United States 5,916.1 15% 75% 7% 3%
2 Japan 2,727.5 72% 21% 5% 1%
3 Germany 1,323.1 43% 36% 20% 1%
4 United Kingdom 1,310.7 30% 50% 18% 2%
5 France 925.1 36% 34% 27% 3%

2 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Christ, you are making me work here! Hahaha! Again, fair point. So short answer is no, US is not comparable to other countries other than perhaps UK in terms of digital uplift. However, the US market value is just slightly smaller than the combined other 4 spots in the top 5 across the globe. I couldn't get a breakdown of the physical purchases as to whether they were CD or vinyl. But we can reasonably assume, that the uptake in physical will be vinyl... I think. 

US $
(millions)

Not bad. :) In any case, my principle still stands. 

15 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:
US $
(millions)

So once again, americans are the lazy fucks, screwing it up for everyone else. ;)

Edited by PatrickS77

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

There are many options. Axl could use just the lyrics. Maybe show them to the boys and let them start from scratch with the music. Etc. 

Yeah that's an option but it's highly unlikely, especially considering how he approaches songwriting 'music then lyrics'. We don't know but we also do know what the general idea of the record will be, and we can say "oh he could thow out the music and keep his lyrics" but the chances of him gutting his material to that extent are minute. Listening to how Slash approached madagascar, I think that's probably what will be happening a lot on a new record. Pre-existing song and Slash puts a new riff over the top. 

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah that's an option but it's highly unlikely, especially considering how he approaches songwriting 'music then lyrics'. We don't know but we also do know what the general idea of the record will be, and we can say "oh he could thow out the music and keep his lyrics" but the chances of him gutting his material to that extent are minute. Listening to how Slash approached madagascar, I think that's probably what will be happening a lot on a new record. Pre-existing song and Slash puts a new riff over the top. 

This, IMO is the most likely scenario. I am still of the opinion at least a few tracks will be untouched from the CD-era. 

35 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I'd be fine with it as long as the whole album doesn't consist of songs composed this way. 

30 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I'd be fine with it as long as the whole album doesn't consist of songs composed this way. 

But if the revamped version od the old songs are as near similiar of what they did with Better (the new intro is Killer), I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Legendador said:

But if the revamped version od the old songs are as near similiar of what they did with Better (the new intro is Killer), I'm fine with it.

Absolutely, but I still also wanna hear what new stuff these three guys created together. A mixture is the way. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

This, IMO is the most likely scenario. I am still of the opinion at least a few tracks will be untouched from the CD-era. 

the song with the Robin solo Axl described as SRV sounding and the best of what Bucket came up with. Like even 3 or 4 tunes would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Rovim

54 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I'm actually ok with whatever comes out with the best songs. I'd prefer a new album made by the current band, but at the same time if there's material that Axl thinks was A quality I'm interested to hear it.

1 minute ago, jackparker123 said:

What if the album came out and it was literally the 2008 album re-recorded with Slash and Duff?

That would be a big NO🤣 If they wanted to do a new album and include that as a bonus? sure why not!

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

That would be a big NO🤣 If they wanted to do a new album and include that as a bonus? sure why not!

I wouldn't put it past Axl/Team Brazil to try and pull that kind of shit. A 'new' album to allow them to tour into their mid 60s while again releasing zero new material.

#TheNextChapter

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Not all of us are 20-year old, smartphone-dependent fools. I’m 39, and while I have a general idea as to what Spotify is, I’d never listen to music from my favourite band just through some streaming service. I like being offline too, and I dislike always having to rely on internet connection, wi-fi signal, phone data, and all this crap. That doesn’t make me an outlier, by the way. If I really like a band, I buy their CD. Not to stick it in the drive each time, but to grab the mp3 to put it in my PC, to have the original including the booklet, and above all, to support the band. 
As for the "how profitable is it" talks, the principle still stands: music bands release records. Other mainstream rock bands do it, so why the hell should GN’R be an exception? You may go see a gig, but I want something more lasting, permanent – and a shitty Youtube video doesn’t meet this need of mine. Bottom line: albums will always be released, one way or the other, no matter how (un)profitable it may be. 

I'm exactly the same. I don't think I've ever used Spotify. Don't agree with the way they treat artists, and don't want to have everything online, have music recommended to me by algorthyms, have shitty streaming quality. I also enjoy actually putting on an album, building up a collection, having the artwork, supporting the band, all that shit. There are a lot of us around.....hence why albums continue to be made by any and everyone. Personally  I don't know any big music fans who don't buy physical albums, at least to some level, regardless of their age. If people choose not to to, well, their loss. They're missing out on a big source of pleasure and fun to many of us. 

All this is breeze though - the fact remains if GNR were to release an album it would be released in every format (probably even cassette, as they seem to be making somewhat of a comeback) and people would buy it, as they do albums by other older bands. 

As it stands, year after year, GNR make no money whatsoever off myself or others like me, as they choose not to even release old material.  THAT'S the really weird thing.  

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

the song with the Robin solo Axl described as SRV sounding and the best of what Bucket came up with. Like even 3 or 4 tunes would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

I would be pretty happy with that.

44 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

What if the album came out and it was literally the 2008 album re-recorded with Slash and Duff?

That would be hilarious!

I also think it would be funny if the next album are the previously unheard songs from the Village sessions, exactly as they were in 2000, no new vocals, etc. Haha

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Absolutely, but I still also wanna hear what new stuff these three guys created together. A mixture is the way. 

I dread whatever lyrics post 2010 Axl would come up with though. He's gone from the most interesting guy in music to perhaps the most safe and predictable. I don't want an album of him angrily denouncing Trump's Russia ties or something.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Hard to think of anything he might have an urge to write about actually, apart from politics...

Perhaps he can write about the pool boy, recent relationships with women (if any), Chris Pitman not wiping his iPod before donating it to Goodwill, recording for cartoons, the 2019 leaks and Tom Zutaut, etc.

• Haha 1