The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

37 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Perhaps he can write about the pool boy, recent relationships with women (if any), Chris Pitman not wiping his iPod before donating it to Goodwill, recording for cartoons, the 2019 leaks and Tom Zutaut, etc.

Imagine a song about Chris Pitman... I'd love it.

Edited by BooO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I dread whatever lyrics post 2010 Axl would come up with though. He's gone from the most interesting guy in music to perhaps the most safe and predictable. I don't want an album of him angrily denouncing Trump's Russia ties or something.

I'd take anything they're offering if it showed us they were alive and motivated. Even if I hated it musically, I'd respect it if it gave them energy and something to be passionate about. 

3 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I wouldn't put it past Axl/Team Brazil to try and pull that kind of shit. A 'new' album to allow them to tour into their mid 60s while again releasing zero new material.

#TheNextChapter

I have no expectations from either, but I believe that Axl is more than satisfied with that record... so outside of that remix album I can't see him digging it up and frakensteining it again.

10 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I have no expectations from either, but I believe that Axl is more than satisfied with that record... so outside of that remix album I can't see him digging it up and frakensteining it again.

I'm hoping the current lineup has as little involvement as possible with CD2, should it ever surface officially.

Imagine how interesting it would be if the next album consists of actual new material, recorded in 2016-2021 or whatever. No title in the track list sounds familiar. No The General, Zodiac 13, Cuban Skies or Atlas Shrugged, etc. All of those shelved for an eventual CD anniversary 3-4 disc edition. I'd be very cool with that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vloors said:

When Susan Mckagan said the new albums coming maybe she got confused and it was just Duffs pre gnr band.....

At this stage I am beginning to hope Velvet Revolver reunite (along with Izzy taking Kushners spot) with a decent new singer (not myles) instead because I have no faith in Axl releasing anything.

Lol that's never going to happen. VR is over, unless they do a couple special guest performances or something.

4 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

What if the album came out and it was literally the 2008 album re-recorded with Slash and Duff?

Yuck

27 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm hoping the current lineup has as little involvement as possible with CD2, should it ever surface officially.

Imagine how interesting it would be if the next album consists of actual new material, recorded in 2016-2021 or whatever. No title in the track list sounds familiar. No The General, Zodiac 13, Cuban Skies or Atlas Shrugged, etc. All of those shelved for an eventual CD anniversary 3-4 disc edition. I'd be very cool with that.

I would like that very much.

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

interesting. I think The Wall is the best example (and I think this has been said for the last 40 years) of a great album with a lot of filler and tunes that would sound weak on their own mixed with a bunch of masterpieces and they serve the main theme of the album.

Very true. The Final Cut is essentially what The Wall would have sounded like without the masterpieces propping it up. Probably my least favourite PF album truth be told.

36 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

The sad thing is I remember coming across a GNR website back in like 1997 and finding out there was a new GNR on the go and they were recording this new album (at the time rumoured to be called 2000 Intentions). A few years passed and nothing was released. Then in 1999, I remember seeing GNR on the new album releases in my local record store on a small wee remote island and being really excited by this... assuming it was the studio record. Turns out it was Live Era '87-'93 album, but I bought it anyway. I can't remember what came first, but suddenly Oh My God appeared out too and I loved it! I thought "here we go!" And pretty much since then, I've been waiting for new GNR music to arrive. And apart from 2008 with the arrival of a mythical album with little to no fanfare, it has been a solid disappointment. Always hoped Axl had it in him to pull out of the bag. But by this stage, I think it looks unlikely. I think somebody previously suggested an official Chinese Democracy box set at some point and that might actually be quite cool. But that looks to be the best bet at this stage. 

I'm not normally this miserable a shit in real life!

I'll never forget how exciting the 2008 album was to me, but was executed very, very poorly to be in the view of the masses. I think that album would have been more successful if it was promoted and released properly.

I expect the next album to be hyped up a lot, which will likely be a revamped CD2. 

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I'll never forget how exciting the 2008 album was to me, but was executed very, very poorly to be in the view of the masses. I think that album would have been more successful if it was promoted and released properly.

I expect the next album to be hyped up a lot, which will likely be a revamped CD2. 

The release and promotion was terrible! I was so hyped thinking we would get to see GUNS on tv, radio, award shows etc and it went off like a candle in the wind. 

Error #1 Not having Better as the lead single with an epic video

Error #2 Axl disappearing. 

And it goes on and on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

The release and promotion was terrible! I was so hyped thinking we would get to see GUNS on tv, radio, award shows etc and it went off like a candle in the wind. 

And it goes on and on. 

I really was terrible.  I thought the same thing... and then nothing.

It would have been interesting to hear some insiders views on what went wrong.

5 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

And it goes on and on. 

Big thing was Axl refusing to promote it at all because he was upset they didnt use his cover art or something lol

But yes no interviews, no promotion and the songs had been heard over the last 7 years already in concert or via leaks.

I feel the decision to stream it entirely on myspace for free was another poor decision too. 

Oh and leaving it so long between albums was a MAJOR mistake. 

Edited by vloors

32 minutes ago, gnrjanus said:

Managers went wrong. 

Robin leaving straight after the release must have hurt a lot. 

I think Robin technically left after the 2007 ANZ tour so imagine he was out of the band by July/August, over a year before the release of the album. I think GN'R never spoke of his departure at the time because they thought he could be persuaded to rejoin once the album release was determined.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:50 AM, Rovim said:

people can change their mind a lot in 30 years. Or even in a week. So the whole burying Appetite thing... I think Axl felt extra motivated to realize his artistic potential with newer releases cause maybe he didn't believe the peak of his career at the time was Appetite and it was such a monster of an album. (commercially and artistically)

NR and Don't Cry didn't make it for example and he always was interested in exploring the more bombastic side of the epic ballad thing. I think he always wanted to incorporate different styles into the sound of the band too so maybe Appetite, as good as it still is, was viewed as just the beginning by Axl back then.

It must not be a pleasant feeling at all when you're that young and successful, to think the best is now behind you. That's kinda fucked up so the natural thing to believe in and to tell yourself and others is maybe "I need to nail it so hard next time just to make sure there is no way anyone would think I've peaked with my debut album".

Axl's self importance seemed to have fueled his motivation in the past so maybe that line was just a way to explain what his goal and approach was.

Great reply...

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Sledge said:

The ending part of the video was something better suited to a tour documentary than a long awaited music video return

An actual Better video was planned. It was weird, as far as I know it never left the previsualization stage. 

I believe one was planned for Chinese Democracy too. (CD was an awful single and video idea, IMO)

It really is absolutely crazy when you think back to it that CD was released and there was no single taken from it. That's the absolute bare minimum you'd think would happen to promote a new album. 

The release and promotion of CD must go down in history as one of the worst of all time. I don't really see how it could have been done worse. 

• Like 1

There was a TVC campaign I saw but no more than what you would expect than a reminder concert tickets are about to go on sale. I went to a record store the day before and it was just there on the shelf behind the guy. I got a promotional window poster somewhere and the box set.