The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Well, as I say, it depends on your definition of 'success'. 

Some equate success as more than simply a commercial thing. 

Some see it from a capitalist view. Others from a more artistic point of view.

If you're going for the 'success=amount of money made' angle though there's a hell of a lot of truly influential albums and art of all genres that would be regarded as 'unsuccessful'. The Ramones album got to number 111 in the US chart and sold 6000 copies in it's first year. But is regarded as one of the best and most influential albums of all time. An 'unsuccessful' release? Or a 'successful' one? Depends on your criteria. 

I'd always take the view that if art is genuinely loved by people, no matter the size of the audience, it is a 'success'. 

In this world, I would say most commercially released art (music, movies) etc. are done so to maximize profits. (In many cases this is unfortunate) 

Star Wars, Marvel, and the like are brands. GN'R is no different. 

Commercially unsuccessful or less than stellar performing at the box office movies that later get regarded as fantastic film are often referred to as "cult hits" which also applies to music I'm sure.  (Though in the case of movies and music, I'm sure even if decades later, they or the rights holder make some money with streaming and physical sales)  Sort of like the painter whom goes unnoticed until after their death. 

4 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

Maybe release proper singles with proper videos? Before, during, and after the albums release, like you'd expect from any big album at the time.

And if Axl had come out of hiding and talked to the media, that might have helped. Especially a big TV interview would have been big.

The above is basically the bare minimum after the label had spent $14 million or whatever it was on recording and mixing the thing.

After the total lack of cooperation from Axl I'm not surprised in the slightest that a follow up never came.

I just don't buy that would have paveod the way for hundreds of thousands extra copies sold

Oh well it was a thousand years ago

23 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I just don't buy that would have paveod the way for hundreds of thousands extra copies sold

Oh well it was a thousand years ago

It would have helped to move *some* of the product. There was no promotion.  No accompanying US tour. No videos. No lead singles for radio. No interviews. Literally zero promotion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

It would have helped to move *some* of the product. There was no promotion.  No accompanying US tour. No videos. No lead singles for radio. No interviews. Literally zero promotion.

Plus the album had basically leaked about 6 months earlier and downloading was rampant back then. Probably cost a few sales.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

it absolutely would have helped.  unless you walked down the right aisle at best buy, you wouldn't have known about the album. 99 percent of my friends (casual fans) didn't know about the album years after it was released. 

2 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

it absolutely would have helped.  unless you walked down the right aisle at best buy, you wouldn't have known about the album. 99 percent of my friends (casual fans) didn't know about the album years after it was released. 

Most probably because it got forgotten years after. In 2008/2009 they might have known about it :lol:

Judging from the Better video I'm glad they didn't put out any videos officially. Abysmal. 

Axl going completely missing as the album came out was the final straw I think, ten years in the making and he does 2 interviews online, comes on the forum and argues with fans and that's it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Axl going completely missing as the album came out was the final straw I think, ten years in the making and he does 2 interviews online, comes on the forum and argues with fans and that's it. 

Ya whaaaaaaaat?! Axl came on this forum?! And argued with fans!? That's amazing! For all the wrong reasons!

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Most probably because it got forgotten years after. In 2008/2009 they might have known about it :lol:

no I was trying to sell my gym buddies on CD the week after it came out.  they had no idea.  In retrospect, I was hanging out with the wrong crowd.  lol

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

no I was trying to sell my gym buddies on CD the week after it came out.  they had no idea.  In retrospect, I was hanging out with the wrong crowd.  lol

I gave a copy or two away. 

A buddy of mine at the time actually got into GN'R because of CD. He asked me how many singers were on the album after hearing it. Haha

When it was like $1.99 at Best Buy, I bought more to pass out.

Apparently the US federal prison system had it too for inmates to listen to, I've heard from more than one prisoner of how it helped them through that ordeal. Sometimes you see comments about that on YouTube for the official CD songs on the GN'R YouTube channel.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sweersa said:

In this world, I would say most commercially released art (music, movies) etc. are done so to maximize profits. (In many cases this is unfortunate) 

Star Wars, Marvel, and the like are brands. GN'R is no different. 

It seems like you are trying to defend GNR here - but you do realise that this is literally the definition of a ‘sell out’ ?

BTW - don’t get me wrong, I agree with you, they care much more about $ than musical integrity.

Edited by Euchre

2 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Just once I’d like to come on this board and see any official news about new music.

and I’m not usually one to bitch. 

Nope, we’re all just waiting for another half-assed interview or some monotonous statement from Fortus regarding how close the album is to being released. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Euchre said:

It seems like you are trying to defend GNR here - but you do realise that this is literally the definition of a ‘sell out’ ?

BTW - don’t get me wrong, I agree with you, they care much more about $ than musical integrity.

Absolutely, sadly. 

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

A viewer on my YouTube channel told me they heard on the radio today that Guns N' Roses is dropping a new album this month. That's all I know, and I hope it to be so.

Maybe they meant to say "GNR are dropping all plans to release a new album this month"? :P

I just can't see it, considering this month will be over in less than two dozen days and I would assume GNR would want to release singles ahead of time and do the promotional cycles to bring as much attention to the album release date as possible for maximum first week sales oppurtunities

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Maybe they meant to say "GNR are dropping all plans to release a new album this month"? :P

I just can't see it, considering this month will be over in less than two dozen days and I would assume GNR would want to release singles ahead of time and do the promotional cycles to bring as much attention to the album release date as possible for maximum first week sales oppurtunities

I agree. At best, and this is a big if, they would make an announcement this month and likely nothing else, if anything.

It's probably nothing, and I'm not taking about the song. LOL Imagine them dropping Nothing as the single. 

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

A viewer on my YouTube channel told me they heard on the radio today that Guns N' Roses is dropping a new album this month. That's all I know, and I hope it to be so.

I am doubtful.

But...

In late 2019, Fernando did say that people could expect new music in 'six months', which landed in March 2020. With COVID-19, Fernando later said it pushed their plans back a year. So it is possible that Guns N' Roses could drop an album this month, but we all know what the band is like...

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I would love this! I waited a long time for new Tool music and Fear Innoculum generally hit the mark. Would  be delighted if GNR did the same. Just to see SOME action would be grand.

• Like 1

I think it's more like to be gnr are 'dropping' a new photo on Instagram. Caption will be "f'n live", photo will be a silhouette of duff looking out to the crowd from a show in 2017.

We should be grateful they treat the fans like they do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I think it's more like to be gnr are 'dropping' a new photo on Instagram. Caption will be "f'n live", photo will be a silhouette of duff looking out to the crowd from a show in 2017.

We should be grateful they treat the fans like they do. 

Man, that would be so cool! ;)

• janrichmond changed the title to The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?
  • alfierose pinned this topic