The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Probably... or at least all the songs with vocals.

No, but I don't think that really "exists" in the way people think it does. It's probably either mostly instrumental or has scratch vocals. I think it was Dave Abbruzzese who talked about playing AFD in full (this would've been before the CD sessions really started) and Axl only sang half the lines, in half voice. And since Axl referred to AFD '99 as something to basically just get the band used to those songs, I would imagine it wouldn't have "full" vocals. That's just my guess, though.

But there was an instrumental version of WTTJ and KOHD in the locker leaks, as well as an acoustic KOHD with vocals.

Yeah I think the 're-recorded AFD was a bit of a myth' and turned out to be one or two songs? 

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah I think the 're-recorded AFD was a bit of a myth' and turned out to be one or two songs? 

I believe there's an older Axl interview where he says it was most of AFD, with a few songs swapped from UYI. At the time, I believe he wanted it released eventually, but wasn't sure how the world would take it. (Obvious reasons) I'm sure someone here can find it, I normally would, but I should be working right now. :)

Now what I'm really wondering is, will Grace McKagan be a guest vocalist on the new GN'R album?

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Its most the album but axl added patience and ycbm and dropped the songs anything goes and think about you. Pretty sure it was on the Axl chats.

I have re-recorded “Appetite”, We recorded all, with the exception of two songs, because we replaced those with “You Could Be Mine” and “Patience” and why do that?  Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of ’80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up… a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that.”

“Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar — you guys know him as Paul Huge, that’s how it’s been written everywhere.  It’s Paul Tobias on guitar, and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, but that… that will stay on some of it. Robin’s guitar will stay on some, but not all. I don’t know what I’m going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out. But you know, it has a lot of energy. Learning the old Guns songs and getting them up, you know, putting them on tape, really forced everybody to get them up to the quality that they needed to be at. Once the energy was figured out by the new guys, how much energy was needed to get the songs right, then it really helped in the writing and recording process of the new record.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vloors said:

I have re-recorded “Appetite”, We recorded all, with the exception of two songs, because we replaced those with “You Could Be Mine” and “Patience” and why do that?  Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of ’80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up… a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that.”

“Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar — you guys know him as Paul Huge, that’s how it’s been written everywhere.  It’s Paul Tobias on guitar, and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, but that… that will stay on some of it. Robin’s guitar will stay on some, but not all. I don’t know what I’m going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out. But you know, it has a lot of energy. Learning the old Guns songs and getting them up, you know, putting them on tape, really forced everybody to get them up to the quality that they needed to be at. Once the energy was figured out by the new guys, how much energy was needed to get the songs right, then it really helped in the writing and recording process of the new record.”

I think it was a good idea for the band to record it so they could cover it better, but it seems Axl thought about actually releasing the entire rerecorded Appetite and he did release the SCOM hybrid. You can't do that with certain albums imo, the fans would never accept it.

it made more sense for Live Era, at least it was Axl's own work that got rerecorded but this was too out there for Gn'R with Appetite imo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think it was a good idea for the band to record it so they could cover it better, but it seems Axl thought about actually releasing the entire rerecorded Appetite and he did release the SCOM hybrid. You can't do that with certain albums imo, the fans would never accept it.

it made more sense for Live Era, at least it was Axl's own work that got rerecorded but this was too out there for Gn'R with Appetite imo.

Sure the label had other ideas about him releasing it back then. Further fan backlash against the new gnr band at the time would of definately happened too. 

He missed a opportunity releasing it as a bonus disk in the appetite locked and loaded box set. 

Edited by vloors
Got to love a typo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, vloors said:

Sure the label had other ideas about him releasing it back then. Further fan backlash against the new gnr band at the time would of definately happened too. 

He missed a opportunity releasing it as a bonus disk in the appetite locked and loaded box set. 

don't know if that would have been a successful idea to most Gn'R fans cause that box set seems to be about nostalgia for the lineup that recorded Appetite originally. I would have probably liked it personally though.

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

don't know if that would have been a successful idea to most Gn'R fans cause that box set seems to be about nostalgia for the lineup that recorded Appetite originally. I would have probably liked it personally though.

I would have loved that too. I was a tad surprised they didn't include that, actually. They could have at least included it on that massive USB stick with everything else.

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Thanks for posting that! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Does anyone think they will keep Brain on a majority of the next album? (Like with CD)

I hope so, though Frank does have his moments in the studio, and live.

Personally, I'm hoping for a splice mix of Brain's kick drum and floor tom, Josh's hi-hat, snare, and crash cymbal, Frank's ride cymbal and rack toms, with Chris Vrenna's shakers and cowbell. 

• GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Personally, I'm hoping for a splice mix of Brain's kick drum and floor tom, Josh's hi-hat, snare, and crash cymbal, Frank's ride cymbal and rack toms, with Chris Vrenna's shakers and cowbell. 

I'd be very cool with that!

44 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Does anyone think they will keep Brain on a majority of the next album? (Like with CD)

I hope so, though Frank does have his moments in the studio, and live.

With any normal band, the answer would be obviously no.

But with Axl it wouldn't be that surprising. Not that it's likely, but it's certainly not out of the question. When you spend 20 years (!!) with certain songs, you become attached to certain parts. I'd guess that the 'texture' of the rhythm tracks will largely stay the same - Slash will play all the lead parts and Duff will re-record the bass obviously, but it wouldn't be too surprising if the rhythm tracks were spliced together with guitar parts by Fortus, Paul, Axl, Slash, etc. and the drum tracks were spliced together like on IRS...

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

With any normal band, the answer would be obviously no.

But with Axl it wouldn't be that surprising. Not that it's likely, but it's certainly not out of the question. When you spend 20 years (!!) with certain songs, you become attached to certain parts. I'd guess that the 'texture' of the rhythm tracks will largely stay the same - Slash will play all the lead parts and Duff will re-record the bass obviously, but it wouldn't be too surprising if the rhythm tracks were spliced together with guitar parts by Fortus, Paul, Axl, Slash, etc. and the drum tracks were spliced together like on IRS...

That just sounds horrific already. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

Well yea, I'm not saying it's ideal, it just wouldn't be too surprising... :lol:

Totally! However, I just can't see Duff or Slash agreeing to this. Generally speaking, I don't hear many people praising the production quality of ChiDem, apart from here! I can't see the same mistake being made twice.

34 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Totally! However, I just can't see Duff or Slash agreeing to this. Generally speaking, I don't hear many people praising the production quality of ChiDem, apart from here! I can't see the same mistake being made twice.

I think if they've agreed to do CD era songs, they'll let Axl get the sound he wants from the recordings, then just play the songs their way live, like they do with CD, Better, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think if they've agreed to do CD era songs, they'll let Axl get the sound he wants from the recordings, then just play the songs their way live, like they do with CD, Better, etc.

None of this bodes well!

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I believe there's an older Axl interview where he says it was most of AFD, with a few songs swapped from UYI. At the time, I believe he wanted it released eventually, but wasn't sure how the world would take it. (Obvious reasons) I'm sure someone here can find it, I normally would, but I should be working right now. :)

Now what I'm really wondering is, will Grace McKagan be a guest vocalist on the new GN'R album?

You are joking, yeah?

• Haha 1