The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

You guys know that episode of spongebob where plankton keeps asking spongebob to make a crabby burger and spongebob keeps saying “nahh I don’t really feel like it. Why don’t you ask me later?” And then plankton even goes as far as to ripping out spongebob’s brain and putting it in a robot and the robot STILL says “I don’t want to. Why don’t you ask me later?”

Well that’s where we’re at now! We are plankton, and Axl is spongebob/ the robot!

Edited by rocknroll41

20 hours ago, vloors said:

Sure the label had other ideas about him releasing it back then. Further fan backlash against the new gnr band at the time would of definately happened too. 

He missed a opportunity releasing it as a bonus disk in the appetite locked and loaded box set. 

No offense, but this is a terrible idea!  AFD was made by 5 guys. I don't want to hear it being rehashed by people who didn't create the album. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, Draguns said:

No offense, but this is a terrible idea!  AFD was made by 5 guys. I don't want to hear it being rehashed by people who didn't create the album. 

But but but but but but... Axl... nu-Guns, man... the vision! EVERYBODY who is a REAL fan knows that the true GNR only started after Slash, Duff and Matt had left the band! :P:P

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Whats it matter if it was just a added bonus. You could of chosen to listen to it or not.

Like someone said add it to the usb or a additional disc. 

Btw you do realize the bonus material like Shadow of your love on there was re-recorded by the current band. Slash has changed certain parts and Adler outright refused that it was his drums. Its quite possibly Franks or a session drummer

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, vloors said:

Whats it matter if it was just a added bonus. You could of chosen to listen to it or not.

Like someone said add it to the usb or a additional disc. 

Btw you do realize the bonus material like Shadow of your love on there was re-recorded by the current band. Slash has changed certain parts and Adler outright refused that it was his drums. Its quite possibly Franks or a session drummer

I'd certainly rather have access to or the opportunity to listen/watch something than no option at all, ever.

Like the Disney Star Wars sequel trilogy. Are they perfect? No. Are they great? Not really, but had great moments. Are they good? Yeah, perhaps, I enjoyed them, but not as much as I enjoyed the other 6 films.

Having said that, I still prefer that they exist, than having nothing at all.

The same applies to AFD '99, CD remix album, they are probably not as great as unheard complete songs from the CD era (The General, Zodiac 13, Seven, Soul Monster, Cuban Skies, etc.) but, better than nothing! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

This, you can't to improve some that is unsurpassable.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ratam said:

This, you can't to improve some that is unsurpassable.

You say that. However, I counter... the addition of Chris Pitman sub-bass performance would improve Appetite immeasurably! :P

Listened to Appetite in its entirety for the first time in years yesterday morning whilst out walking. And ya gotta say... it is fucking brilliant like! Gotta be the best debut of all time.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Walapino said:

LOL you guys are insane talking about releasing AFD with the nu guns line up WTF?? 

Why not? 

No one is under any obligation to buy it or even listen to it. It could be ignored by those that know they wouldn't like it before hearing it. Seeing as it is (apparently) recorded, making it available for those that wanted to hear it would seem a good idea to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Why not? 

No one is under any obligation to buy it or even listen to it. It could be ignored by those that know they wouldn't like it before hearing it. Seeing as it is (apparently) recorded, making it available for those that wanted to hear it would seem a good idea to me. 

There's a reason why bands and artists don't re-record classic albums. Appetite rightfully has a legendary status. Why tarnish the legacy? Also, the new recording techniques that were applied in 1999 were dated within a few years. Was he gonna re-record the piece every few years just to keep up with the times? Has he released it 1999 as a standalone album, he would've been rightfully absolutely slated. And ridiculed even further. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

There's a reason why bands and artists don't re-record classic albums. Appetite rightfully has a legendary status. Why tarnish the legacy? Also, the new recording techniques that were applied in 1999 were dated within a few years. Was he gonna re-record the piece every few years just to keep up with the times? Has he released it 1999 as a standalone album, he would've been rightfully absolutely slated. And ridiculed even further. 

Letting some curious fans hear something like that would have zero bearing on how people regard AFD. 

It's recorded, done, and sticking it in as a bonus as some part of a boxset wouldn't impact on anything. People could ignore it, or refuse to listen to it if they feel so strongly about it's existence that even listening to it would cause them to dislike AFD! 

There's clearly people who would love to hear it (myself included) and the preference of letting it rot on a storage room floor alongside all the other interesting things we know exist, is one of the reasons GNR are currently boring the arse off everyone! 

I think saying it would be "rightfully slated" suggests you don't want to hear it, and have made up your mind on how it would sound. That's fine, but there are many fans who feel differently and are very interested to hear it, as they are much of the CD era material. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Letting some curious fans hear something like that would have zero bearing on how people regard AFD. 

It's recorded, done, and sticking it in as a bonus as some part of a boxset wouldn't impact on anything. People could ignore it, or refuse to listen to it if they feel so strongly about it's existence that even listening to it would cause them to dislike AFD! 

There's clearly people who would love to hear it (myself included) and the preference of letting it rot on a storage room floor alongside all the other interesting things we know exist, is one of the reasons GNR are currently boring the arse off everyone! 

I think saying it would be "rightfully slated" suggests you don't want to hear it, and have made up your mind on how it would sound. That's fine, but there are many fans who feel differently and are very interested to hear it, as they are much of the CD era material. 

Can you name me another example whereupon a successful band has re-recorded an entire classic album with completely new members and it has been viewed a success!? Ozzy got slated for re-recording the bass and drum parts on his first two albums. This would have been viewed as sacrilege releasing after it was recorded. 

I think it would be fair to say that other than a few hardcore GNR fans on forums such as this, not many would have any interest in listening to a re-recording of Appetite For Destruction. What does it add!? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Can you name me another example whereupon a successful band has re-recorded an entire classic album with completely new members and it has been viewed a success!? Ozzy got slated for re-recording the bass and drum parts on his first two albums. This would have been viewed as sacrilege releasing after it was recorded. 

I think it would be fair to say that other than a few hardcore GNR fans on forums such as this, not many would have any interest in listening to a re-recording of Appetite For Destruction. What does it add!? 

Flip that around.....what does it take away? If people want to hear it, and it's recorded, why not get it out there? 

Bands release demos, early versions, different mixes, outtakes as bonus material all the time. These are also if very limited interest to anyone but hardcore fans.....but they have them, so why not get them out there? It's up to the listener whether they ignore them or not. Why not give them the option? 

Cat Stevens just re-recorded Tea For The Tillerman for instance. Iron Maiden re-recorded many of their albums. Taylor Swift is even doing hers (albeit for legal reasons). I'm sure there others- those are just a couple off the top of my head. It happens. Fans can choose to have then or not. 

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Flip that around.....what does it take away? If people want to hear it, and it's recorded, why not get it out there? 

Bands release demos, early versions, different mixes, outtakes as bonus material all the time. These are also if very limited interest to anyone but hardcore fans.....but they have them, so why not get them out there? It's up to the listener whether they ignore them or not. Why not give them the option? 

Cat Stevens just re-recorded Tea For The Tillerman for instance. Iron Maiden re-recorded many of their albums. Taylor Swift is even doing hers (albeit for legal reasons). I'm sure there others- those are just a couple off the top of my head. It happens. Fans can choose to have then or not. 

I don't believe Iron Maiden re-recorded any of their albums...

Back to the AFD re-record... releasing a stand alone re-record of a classic album featuring only one member of the original band would not have been received well by the press or general fans at all. Only in lunatic asylums like a GNR forum would there be any appetite for such a product.

• Like 1

If it were ever gonna be released, I'd think it would be in a CD box set. And even then, it's just a curiosity thing for a few hardcore fans. It would be cool to hear it once, just to know what it sounded like and to hear Axl's '99 vocals on some of those songs, but if you think they wouldn't get slammed for releasing it in any other context... You're fuckin' Crazy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If it were ever gonna be released, I'd think it would be in a CD box set. And even then, it's just a curiosity thing for a few hardcore fans. It would be cool to hear it once, just to know what it sounded like and to hear Axl's '99 vocals on some of those songs, but if you think they wouldn't get slammed for releasing it in any other context... You're fuckin' Crazy.

I would love to hear how Axl could've presented the idea of including it in the locked and loaded boxset:

Slash: Anybody got any ideas for additional material? 

Axl: Yeah I do actually. I actually have another version of Appetite that you guys won't have heard!

Duff: Oh like rehearsal tapes from back in the day when we were jamming on the songs we wrote together?

Axl: Not quite.

Slash: Oh you mean ultra rare live recordings that the fans will love?

Axl: No, not that either.

Duff: What then?

Axl: Well remember when we all fell out and I was really angry at you? 

Slash: Uh huh.

Axl: Well I kinda re-recorded the album with a bunch of new guys. And I think it would be a great way to honour the original album by including this new version in this boxset.

Slash: But those dudes had nothing to do with the original album? 

Axl: As I said, a great way to honour the original album. You can hear your iconic guitar solos almost played note for note Slash, but with a few nuanced differences. And some different effects which you don't use but sounded great in 1999 so will presumably still sound awesome now. But better yet guys, this version now has keyboards! And if there's anything we know about our fans... they always want more keyboards!

7 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I would love to hear how Axl could've presented the idea of including it in the locked and loaded boxset:

Axl: Yeah I do actually. I actually have another version of Appetite that you guys won't have heard!

Duff: Oh like rehearsal tapes from back in the day when we were jamming on the songs we wrote together?

Axl: Well I kinda re-recorded the album with a bunch of new guys. And I think it would be a great way to honour the original album by including this new version in this boxset.

Axl: As I said, a great way to honour the original album. You can hear your iconic guitar solos almost played note for note Slash, but with a few nuanced differences. And some different effects which you don't use but sounded great in 1999 so will presumably still sound awesome now. But better yet guys, this version now has keyboards! And if there's anything we know about our fans... they always want more keyboards!

You know, we do get it- you don't like the CD era and the keyboards/synths etc......but you really don't need to keep stressing it with these sort of posts. 

Maybe time to let it go? 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It would definitely fit in there more than the AFD box, as was suggested earlier. 

At this stage a CD boxset would be a great idea- and I think would be costly well received as an 'archive' piece. 

I can't see it happening though due to the crossover between this material and the 'new material' that is inevitable. The reaction to the leaks suggest this would be th case. 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

You know, we do get it- you don't like the CD era and the keyboards/synths etc......but you really don't need to keep stressing it with these sort of posts. You're pretty constant with these sorts of 'amusing' posts. 

I don't mind keyboards/piano in GNR. They have there places for sure. I think Estranged is up there with some of the best work in the GNR catalogue. I also think there are a few really good tracks on Chinese Democracy, and a lot of less good tracks, but that the whole thing is an over produced mess. What annoys me though is a band I used to love, that had a true rock n roll spirit, pretty much bombed around the turn of the century and became a bit of a joke. I really wanted Axl to succeed as I really loved the multiple personalities in his voice. Oh, and as I got older I began to appreciate his lyrics more too.

4 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Axl: We owe it to Paul "The Original Guitar Player" Huge to include it. If I'd had time to really complete Appetite, this is how it would've sounded anyway.

Slash and Duff: Goddammit...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 19AT5 said:

I don't mind keyboards/piano in GNR. They have there places for sure. I think Estranged is up there with some of the best work in the GNR catalogue. I also think there are a few really good tracks on Chinese Democracy, and a lot of less good tracks, but that the whole thing is an over produced mess. What annoys me though is a band I used to love, that had a true rock n roll spirit, pretty much bombed around the turn of the century and became a bit of a joke. I really wanted Axl to succeed as I really loved the multiple personalities in his voice. Oh, and as I got older I began to appreciate his lyrics more too.

I think a lot of people would disagree that they bombed then, as many in here really love CD. In fact, I'd say more do than don't. 

The complete lack of any progress whatsoever musically since then.....well that's another story! 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think a lot of people would disagree that they bombed then, as many in here really love CD. In fact, I'd say more do than don't. 

The complete lack of any progress whatsoever musically since then.....well that's another story! 

Well you can hardly say the band post-2000 is more successful than the 1987 to 1993 era. I remember going to school after the VMAs in 2002 and there was nobody raving about what they had seen. This was a band once dubbed the most dangerous in the world mind on! They were seen as a joke.

Sometimes I wonder if people here (not directed at you specifically) live in an alternate universe when it comes to GNR. Out with the hardcore/regular fan base, not many people know that much about the album. The album took 13 years to make, cost a fuck load, didn't sell that much and the main protagonist didn't even promote it!

• Like 1

Just now, 19AT5 said:

Well you can hardly say the band post-2000 is more successful than the 1987 to 1993 era. I remember going to school after the VMAs in 2002 and there was nobody raving about what they had seen. This was a band once dubbed the most dangerous in the world mind on! They were seen as a joke.

Sometimes I wonder if people here (not directed at you specifically) live in an alternate universe when it comes to GNR. Out with the hardcore/regular fan base, not many people know that much about the album. The album took 13 years to make, cost a fuck load, didn't sell that much and the main protagonist didn't even promote it!

Oh those things are undeniable. 

There was a discussion a while back about this though in terms of what makes an album a 'success'. If fans liked it.....I'd say it was a success. Others see it differently, from a commercial view, or a critical view. 

The fact they've musically just stagnated since then is the worst bit for me.