The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

High calibre tracks like Eye On You or Nothing!? The Zodiac instrumental was decent enough, but very little else without vocals caught my attention. In my opinion, the Village Sessions have more hype than quality. Purely subjective of course but an album of CD leftovers just would not excite me on face value. I would listen to it though and see what like. 

I actually really like those! I’d put them in the same category as If The World, which I rate higher than Anything Goes and the filler on UYI!

Aye, everyone will have their own preference. I love Chinese so its only natural I’d gravitate towards what the red head come up with during that period. Iconic, just like what Steve Clarke will look like shortly...😆🤮

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

The best music they released was written by both of them. They had 20 years to prove otherwise but failed, so why not do the right thing now and write music together. 

There was enough time for the unreleased CD material to get finished. Now use the best ideas, vocally, and move on.

Slight Correction: The best music they released was written by both of them WITH IZZY. That’s how we got shit like Nightrain and Out Ta Get Me. If it was just Axl and Slash writing, the best we can maybe hope for is stuff like Estranged and Coma (though I’d be fine with that).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Slight Correction: The best music they released was written by both of them WITH IZZY. That’s how we got shit like Nightrain and Out Ta Get Me. If it was just Axl and Slash writing, the best we can maybe hope for is stuff like Estranged and Coma (though I’d be fine with that).

Of course, but Izzy isn't involved right now so I choosed (edit: :facepalm: choose, chose, chosen) the next best thing.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

Izzy's songwriting chops seem to have a mythical status around here. As good as the stuff he wrote on the albums he was involved in, his solo stuff isn't exactly much, if any better better than what Slash, Duff or Axl has produced since. He also left the band 30 year ago!

• Like 2

So, this Sp1at from GNREVOLUTION. How credible is this guy?

in 2020 he said the following

"A new album will support the next tour,  whenever that happens, and it's supposed to be a world tour crammed into one year so Slash can return to his other projects.

Remember also there was a plan to do a UYI based tour as well, which may happen in the future and they appear to be putting together a UYI Deluxe box with Trocolli poking about for ideas on other forums."

In 2021

"Just an update, the band are hoping to complete an album, or have an album ready by the last quarter of this year, no release schedule set yet. From the Slash camp"

1 hour ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Jesus Christ what even is this thread, a near 400-page discussion because of something the daughter of the bassist said? Wtf

It's a "new album thread". The title usually gets modified after someone at least a bit relevant comes up with something at least a bit relevant... whatever you wanna think about the Susan's contribution...

31 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

"A new album will support the next tour,  whenever that happens, and it's supposed to be a world tour crammed into one year so Slash can return to his other projects.

Remember also there was a plan to do a UYI based tour as well, which may happen in the future and they appear to be putting together a UYI Deluxe box with Trocolli poking about for ideas on other forums."

In 2021

"Just an update, the band are hoping to complete an album, or have an album ready by the last quarter of this year, no release schedule set yet. From the Slash camp"

Axl's CD songs were pretty much ready by 2001... Just sayin'. :D

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jamillos said:

It's a "new album thread". The title usually gets modified after someone at least a bit relevant comes up with something at least a bit relevant... whatever you wanna think about the Susan's contribution...

Axl's CD songs were pretty much ready by 2001... Just sayin'. :D

They need Slash to finish butchering Robin and Bucket's parts first. And Frank to do the same on Josh and Brain's parts.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

They need Slash to finish butchering Robin and Bucket's parts first. And Frank to do the same on Josh and Brain's parts.

Slash butchering anything sounds like an oxymoron to me. Besides, I'm not one of those people who expect the new album to be just a revamped CD 2. Axl probably will use his old ideas on a few songs, but I believe Slash will want to express himself creatively, and I see no reason why he should just play someone else's songs even on a new record of his own band. Nah, it needs to be fresh, and mostly made by the band which currently exists, not exclusively consist of 20 year old songs written essentially for a solo endeavour. I understand that for you, NuGNR is the main thing, and that's totally cool with me, but I'm more for the original guy... ;)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Slash butchering anything sounds like an oxymoron to me. Besides, I'm not one of those people who expect the new album to be just a revamped CD 2. Axl probably will use his old ideas on a few songs, but I believe Slash will want to express himself creatively, and I see no reason why he should just play someone else's songs even on a new record of his own band. Nah, it needs to be fresh, and mostly made by the band which currently exists, not exclusively consist of 20 year old songs written essentially for a solo endeavour. I understand that for you, NuGNR is the main thing, and that's totally cool with me, but I'm more for the original guy... ;)

I think that they will split up the songwriting credits between Axl/Slash/Duff as 50/30/20. I don't know about the others. Melissa, Brain, Pitman and Finck will probably have some co-writing credits. 

Edited by Sosso

4 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Izzy's songwriting chops seem to have a mythical status around here. As good as the stuff he wrote on the albums he was involved in, his solo stuff isn't exactly much, if any better better than what Slash, Duff or Axl has produced since. He also left the band 30 year ago!

I have never actually been able to get into any of Izzy's solo stuff.

Slash's solo stuff and CD are waayyy better IMO 

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

I'm hoping Slash plays CD stuff better in the studio than he does live. I'm basing most of my post on that, I did like his work on the 2010 solo album of his.

I'd prefer the CD stuff to be as untouched as possible when it's released, and aside from a bonus or anniversary release, I don't expect that to happen to any level that would be that satisfying. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

If you took the best songs across Izzy’s ten or so solo albums and put them all together then I would like that better than CD. But as is, yeah CD beats all of the other post-TSI albums from all the band members by a country mile.

IMO Contraband alone is better than CD and I rank it only at position 3 or 4 of Slashs best releases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed both Velvet Revolver albums, and Slash's 2010 solo album. The biggest beef I have with VR was Messages not being included on the regular Libertad album. 

I'm sure CD2 as it existed in 2004-2014 was pretty good at worst, likely in the same realm as the 2008 CD.

Perhaps the current lineup is a perfect storm, in that they dial CD2 down a bit, so it doesn't suffer from the overproduction CD did when it was heard in final form in 2008, as opposed to the 2000 rough mixes that IMO are largely superior.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I used to like Contraband, and there's a handful of good songs on it, but last time I listened to the full album it was a chore to get through. It's nowhere near as good as CD.

Agreed. I find Libertad to be much more consistent, although nothing on the album quite reaches the highs of Fall to Pieces or Slither.

Neither albums hold a candle to Chinese Democracy though

Edited by ApacheChief42

33 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I used to like Contraband, and there's a handful of good songs on it, but last time I listened to the full album it was a chore to get through. It's nowhere near as good as CD.

Haha i feel the same way for CD.

A handful of good songs but a chore to listen to from start to finish.

CD is a drawn out mess of a album. Its something I give a chance every 6 months or so and listen to it again and remember why I didn't like it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Jesus Christ what even is this thread, a near 400-page discussion because of something the daughter of the bassist said? Wtf

Wife

8 hours ago, ThePreacher said:

In 2021

I don't know who that is, but it sounds reasonable. We know Slash is already moving forward with the next SMKC record so he definitely wants to return to that soon, so the tour crammed into one year could be the dates they have this year. The UYI based tour could be happening although I feel like they would've made that obvious in the promotion, unless they're just adding some more UYI songs in the set and that's it. However the first point kind of doesn't line up with the prediction about the album in the last quarter of 2021, because the tour will be mostly over by then.

13 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Wife

I don't know who that is, but it sounds reasonable. We know Slash is already moving forward with the next SMKC record so he definitely wants to return to that soon, so the tour crammed into one year could be the dates they have this year. The UYI based tour could be happening although I feel like they would've made that obvious in the promotion, unless they're just adding some more UYI songs in the set and that's it. However the first point kind of doesn't line up with the prediction about the album in the last quarter of 2021, because the tour will be mostly over by then.

Maybe the point of the tour will be to culminate with the release of the album?  And then slash will tour for SMKC4 early next year (before GnR does the euro makeup tour)? Maybe the UYI box has been scrapped, to not get in the way of a new record… Eh, who am I kidding? There is no new record! :P