The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I actually wouldn't mind Sentimental Movie making he new album. It's a good song.

I was listening to The Rumbo Tapes yesterday and thinking about the 8 or 9 (officially) unreleased songs from those days. I really like Too Much Too Soon. It’s got a nice LLAS vibe. What was the story as to why songs like these and Bring It Back Home and Just Another Sunday never got an official release?

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 3:15 AM, GoForJMark said:

If they’re smart and want to really release a record. They should call it Use Your Illusions 3, risky but it ties in with the UYI 1 & 2 anniversary. Release a box set of hidden gems from the uyi sessions along with UYI 3 filled with new songs. Everybody wins. 

But they'd rather ask us to suck their dicks. 

Actually this is a superb idea.

Of course with this band that means it’ll never happen 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Actually this is a superb idea.

Of course with this band that means it’ll never happen 

Yeah calling the new record something like UYI3 (with a green cover art like all the fanmade stuff has) or self-titled (with some generic cover art, like with skulls or whatever) would be a good way to make the record more “commercial” and “marketable” to the general public.

Edited by rocknroll41

7 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Calling the new album UYI 3 would make as much sense as AfD 2 or CD 2. 

New era = New Name 

Fair point, yeah. Maybe a fitting name would’ve been Not In This Lifetime, though the opportunity to call the record that probably passed after 2019.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I was listening to The Rumbo Tapes yesterday and thinking about the 8 or 9 (officially) unreleased songs from those days. I really like Too Much Too Soon. It’s got a nice LLAS vibe. What was the story as to why songs like these and Bring It Back Home and Just Another Sunday never got an official release?

They were never really "GNR" songs. The Garden, Bad Obsession and It's So Easy were written around the same time I think, West Arkeen was writing songs with GNR and the band kept the songs they liked, and performed the others so West could try to sell them. They're basically reference tracks.

I agree about Too Much Too Soon, it's kinda like Move To The City meets doo-wop. It's weird but I like it, it could've fit well on an EP with stuff like Heartbreak Hotel or Since I Don't Have You.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DTV88 said:

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They were never really "GNR" songs. The Garden, Bad Obsession and It's So Easy were written around the same time I think, West Arkeen was writing songs with GNR and the band kept the songs they liked, and performed the others so West could try to sell them. They're basically reference tracks.

I agree about Too Much Too Soon, it's kinda like Move To The City meets doo-wop. It's weird but I like it, it could've fit well on an EP with stuff like Heartbreak Hotel or Since I Don't Have You.

Too Much Too Soon is a very random tune….it’s actually REALLY catchy. 🤣

• Like 1

I too have thought about the next album being called Use Your Illusion III. However, I think that would be more appropriate for the 8th album. The next album, likely to be mostly, if not all compromised of CD2 re-worked material by current members would be best called "Seven", since it is the 7th studio album by the band, and Seven is a known unreleased CD-era song. Track 7, Seven, on Seven. Sort of cool. I've emailed this to TB so they have it in their back pocket, and I'm pretty sure others came up with the same idea as well.

Then, the following album, which will probably be a mix of additional CD-era songs or ideas, and actual new songs, could be called UYI3, or self-titled like the rumors about CD2 before the reunion happened. (That would have been pretty funny if they did that)

As I've said before, and especially after hearing the locker leaks, it is a damn shame CD2 never happened before the reunion. It could, however, be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps the eventual CD2 with the current lineup will sound more like the village songs, as opposed to the super bloated 2008 album, which I still liked. 

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I admire your optimism but I think the last album will be their last! 

I don't believe it. my gut feeling is that this band isn't done cause Axl will want Gn'R to end with an album featuring Slash and Duff. It will probably take a long time, but they'll get there. (hopefully)

Axl now has the opportunity to incorporate Slash in all that unreleased Chinese era material. Seems like a strong incentive to release it.

Edited by Rovim

17 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't believe it. my gut feeling is that this band isn't done cause Axl will want Gn'R to end with an album featuring Slash and Duff. It will probably take a long time, but they'll get there. (hopefully)

Axl now has the opportunity to incorporate Slash in all those unreleased Chinese era material. Seems like a strong incentive to release it. 

I'm honestly not sure if I've posted this on here before, but I have a theory about when we'll get a new GN'R album. 

You know how when someone dies, everyone all of a sudden decides they were a genius and everything they made was amazing? I, honest to God, think Axl's just holding everything for release after he's gone. 

What could he stand to gain from that, seeing as he'd been gone? From a vanity standpoint, he'd pass away knowing he's about to be praised forever with each release afterward. Second, it would set TB up for all of eternity financially. 

That last part is NOT a shot at TB. Axl cares about them deeply. I have no horse in that race and it's not my business. But I could totally see him wanting to make sure they're taken care of and that would be the best way to do it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I'm honestly not sure if I've posted this on here before, but I have a theory about when we'll get a new GN'R album. 

You know how when someone dies, everyone all of a sudden decides they were a genius and everything they made was amazing? I, honest to God, think Axl's just holding everything for release after he's gone. 

What could he stand to gain from that, seeing as he'd been gone? From a vanity standpoint, he'd pass away knowing he's about to be praised forever with each release afterward. Second, it would set TB up for all of eternity financially. 

That last part is NOT a shot at TB. Axl cares about them deeply. I have no horse in that race and it's not my business. But I could totally see him wanting to make sure they're taken care of and that would be the best way to do it. 

it's all speculation, but I don't think Axl will use Gn'R in that way. TB is probably set for life anyway with how Axl seems to genuinely care about them and with the NITL money there is no real need to use recorded material in that way imo.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think Axl just wants to get it right when it comes to Gn'R albums and since he's not a musician that can do it all on his own and his approach is not something most musicians will ever take, the process is so slow that sometimes it seems it'll never gonna happen when in reality, I believe that for Axl, he'll release new music only when it feels right and there are no other commitments to fulfill. I could be way off, but this is how I personally see it.

I also think that while the Gn'R legacy is probably important for Axl, he'd want to experience some form of acceptance/success in his lifetime with this lineup fulfilling its creative potential. Eventually.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I admire your optimism but I think the next album will be their last 

That's what I think too.

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah I think that's really likely. Especially all the old CD material, because Slash and Duff wouldn't have as much of a say in that.

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've thought the same too,many times.

Whatever happens though, we will definitely see the 'what a genius' thing which seems so common in our hyperbolic, hypocritical and vacuous times, when he dies, as we do with all musicians that pass. 

We'll also see releases, of one kind or another, as his estate moves to do all the things he is (presumably) at the moment blocking. 

All of that will be very bittersweet, and possibly even angering, to those of us who know all this stuff is possible without the sad occasion of his death. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 6/19/2021 at 4:18 PM, DTV88 said:

Anyone know where to listen to the complete Rumbo Tapes nowadays? I used to enjoy listening to those songs on YouTube but many of the videos have since been taken down.

Edited by jackparker123

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't know if that's Axl's intention but if he won't release anything in his liftime anymore then the vault stuff will be released surely after he passes away. If he wants it or not...

And while I think we will definitely get something after his death, I hope he'll release something on his own prior to that.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

I think that Axl cant sing GnR songs anymore due to his voice damage. Now his voice lean or suites much more in Ac Dc playlist. So new material must be vocaly different than previouse records. Now even Duff has better voice range and Slash is using Myles for creative work or to be precise GnR type of songs.

That is why I think Axl is scared of singing new songs for Duff and Slash because he doesnt want to be judged or rediculed for his singing voice. If arrangement of the songs will be Axl suitable than he will bust his encouragement and record new album.

Otherwise it will be just nostalgy, money grab tours every few years.

6 minutes ago, Popcorn crew said:

That is why I think Axl is scared of singing new songs for Duff and Slash because he doesnt want to be judged or rediculed for his singing voice. If arrangement of the songs will be Axl suitable than he will bust his encouragement and record new album.

But he gets that anyway with singing the classics? I highly doubt Guns will scrap everything that has been worked on over the past 20+ years in order to do an AC/DC type album, it just wouldn't make sense. I'll take whatever performances Axl gives us in a live setting so long as we have him in his vocal pomp on the record - which will most likely be the case if he's using old vocals. 

My hope though is that new material will rejuvenate the band from churning out a tired set and will hopefully spur Axl on to get his voice in the best possible shape. It's easy for me sitting here and criticizing, but it's just out of frustration knowing fine well that on his game, no one touches him. I really didn't think he had 2016 in him after what we got from 2011/14, but he surprised us all with that. I'm just hoping for something similar. They're all getting up there in age, and there will come a time where Axl reaching that level of performance just isn't possible - we may be even at that stage now. Who knows? The show next month will offer insight on what lies ahead. If they drop even one new song into the set, I'm sure it'll lift morale on this board too. 

• Like 1