The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

9 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I kind of meant it as a joke because Jarmo doesn't really have a mode besides being optimistic. It didn't really work I guess. I certainly have no delusions of him having any inside info.

That and to my knowledge, Jarmo hasn't actually traveled with the band for quite some time now. 

Again, I'm not taking a shot at him but even if he's sitting on Axl's lap and Axl tells him a new album is coming this year, there's still a slim chance it'll actually happen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Call me crazy but I reckon we’ll see an album before the year’s out

You're crazy lol 

3 hours ago, ApacheChief42 said:

Try 1500

Try 15,000. 

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

This became the real meaning of Not In This Lifetime

😂

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That and to my knowledge, Jarmo hasn't actually traveled with the band for quite some time now. 

Again, I'm not taking a shot at him but even if he's sitting on Axl's lap and Axl tells him a new album is coming this year, there's still a slim chance it'll actually happen. 

Wasnt he with them at the last show in Mexico last year?

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wasnt he with them at the last show in Mexico last year?

I'm not sure to be honest. I remember him saying he'd sat out a leg or two of the tour but I don't pay real close attention to if he's with them or not. I just seem to remember him saying there were stretches where he wasn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

TBH, I don't think it's fair to put in the same bag the wait between CD's release (2008) and the dissolution of nuGNR 3.0 (2014), and the wait between NITL's announcement (2016) and today (2021). 

First, it's unrealistic to expect GNR members from older lineups on the first material of Axl and Slash together in decades. That's simply out of question. The new album will most likely be CD leftovers redone from scratch by the NITL lineup (minus Axl's vocals and if you want, Frank's drums), and a few Axl/Slash/Duff songs. What that means is that even if CD2 was ready for release back in 2014, it doesn't matter because the whole thing (probably overlayered as fuck like CD) has to be re-done to fit a more classic-rock approach. So basically having a finished CD2 and having the old Village demos is, to this lineup, the same. The thing has to be stripped down, partially re-written, and re-recorded by the new lineup. Hell, to Slash and Duff it's probably easier to work on the Village demos because those are much more stripped down to whatever the clusterfuck of CD2 ended up being. (CD is my favorite album BTW :D )

With that being said, and this is only my opinion, I think the 2 first years of NITL-era regarding new music don't count. We were all happy as hell with NITL back in 2016 and 2017 (2017 was a more divisive year, they could've done lots of stuff to keep the thing fresh, and I'm not talking about new music). 2016 was basically Axl and Slash testing their relationship, so yeah, trying to do a new album that year could've fucked up everything. So let's say NITL ended after the Forum show in 2017, and they use 2018 to make the new album. It could've come out late 2018 or early 2019. 

Being reasonable, "only" 2019, 2020 and 2021 are the 'cashgrab' years IMO, and the live performances proove that as well. 

The lineup changes between 2001 and 2014 are minuscule compared to Slash's return in 2016. That resets the whole thing IMO. I think we all can agree that if Slash leaves again, GNR is done. 

With all that being said, and considering myself very critical towards the band, I think a realistic timeline for new GNR music is 2021-2022 to early 2023 at max. IF and WHEN they consider moving forward with it, the thing should be waaaaaaay easier to release (compared to CD), legally speaking, because Slash is back. Once the album is done and they really want to tour it and promote it, it should be a walk in the park to get it actually out in the market.

Very well thought out post. I agree on all points.

My wishful thinking is the next album will be CD2 as it existed in 2008-2014, with Slash replacing a handful of Robin's solos, and Richard replacing a few Bucket/Bumble solos, Duff re-recording some of Tommy's bass, and Frank having as big of a role as he did on the 2008 album on the next one. Melissa also should have her fingers on bits, and no doubt she will. I would very much like the best of Robin and Buckethead's parts to be intact, however unlikely that is now. 

• Like 1

If it’s going to happen, it’s either Christmas of 2021 or Spring 2022. There’s not much hope after that. I am, however, hopeful we will hear some new material during this run. I’m confident we will at the very least hear tracks that they haven’t played in a long time. So I guess that’s something if it means anything to anyone at this point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

TBH, I don't think it's fair to put in the same bag the wait between CD's release (2008) and the dissolution of nuGNR 3.0 (2014), and the wait between NITL's announcement (2016) and today (2021). 

First, it's unrealistic to expect GNR members from older lineups on the first material of Axl and Slash together in decades. That's simply out of question. The new album will most likely be CD leftovers redone from scratch by the NITL lineup (minus Axl's vocals and if you want, Frank's drums), and a few Axl/Slash/Duff songs. What that means is that even if CD2 was ready for release back in 2014, it doesn't matter because the whole thing (probably overlayered as fuck like CD) has to be re-done to fit a more classic-rock approach. So basically having a finished CD2 and having the old Village demos is, to this lineup, the same. The thing has to be stripped down, partially re-written, and re-recorded by the new lineup. Hell, to Slash and Duff it's probably easier to work on the Village demos because those are much more stripped down to whatever the clusterfuck of CD2 ended up being. (CD is my favorite album BTW :D )

With that being said, and this is only my opinion, I think the 2 first years of NITL-era regarding new music don't count. We were all happy as hell with NITL back in 2016 and 2017 (2017 was a more divisive year, they could've done lots of stuff to keep the thing fresh, and I'm not talking about new music). 2016 was basically Axl and Slash testing their relationship, so yeah, trying to do a new album that year could've fucked up everything. So let's say NITL ended after the Forum show in 2017, and they use 2018 to make the new album. It could've come out late 2018 or early 2019. 

Being reasonable, "only" 2019, 2020 and 2021 are the 'cashgrab' years IMO, and the live performances proove that as well. 

The lineup changes between 2001 and 2014 are minuscule compared to Slash's return in 2016. That resets the whole thing IMO. I think we all can agree that if Slash leaves again, GNR is done. 

With all that being said, and considering myself very critical towards the band, I think a realistic timeline for new GNR music is 2021-2022 to early 2023 at max. IF and WHEN they consider moving forward with it, the thing should be waaaaaaay easier to release (compared to CD), legally speaking, because Slash is back. Once the album is done and they really want to tour it and promote it, it should be a walk in the park to get it actually out in the market.

As for your timing, this is exactly what I've been saying here all the time! 

Only two remarks: I would add 2018 to the unnecessary/cash-grab portion of the reunion era. At least they could have changed the playlist and made it exciting again, which they didn't. And secondly, I don't want or expect the new record to be mainly reworked CD leftovers. That would not be a new album by this band, that would be this band covering Axl's solo endeavour from the past, with minimum input from their side. It's not just about putting some - any - material out. It's a statement. Representation. 

In any case, I don't really expect anything this year. I agree that 2022 is the first year we can seriously start anticipating the release.  

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Only two remarks: I would add 2018 to the unnecessary/cash-grab portion of the reunion era. At least they could have changed the playlist and made it exciting again, which they didn't. And secondly, I don't want or expect the new record to be mainly reworked CD leftovers. That would not be a new album by this band, that would be this band covering Axl's solo endeavour from the past, with minimum input from their side. It's not just about putting some - any - material out. It's a statement. Representation. 

In any case, I don't really expect anything this year. I agree that 2022 is the first year we can seriously start anticipating the release.  

Yes, I agree 100%. 2018 was another wasted year, I should have included it as part of the 'cashgrab' years. I didn't do it because, in my head, I was imagining they used that whole year to make the new album :D But regarding what actually happened, and their live shows, then yes, totally, it was a shit year.

On the other hand, I think the CD leftovers reworked from scratch can work. There's a lot of potential in the Village demos, it would be a waste to not use the best songs. I don't think they have much from the mid 90s sessions, but if they do, then I would expect some of that stuff too. The "representation" part you talk about can be achieved with a really really good new lead single written by the new lineup. They should work from there IMO. After all, it's Slash's solos that people want to hear. And those will be in both new and old songs, so I don't see the big deal. 

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Yes, I agree 100%. 2018 was another wasted year, I should have included it as part of the 'cashgrab' years. I didn't do it because, in my head, I was imagining they used that whole year to make the new album :D But regarding what actually happened, and their live shows, then yes, totally, it was a shit year.

On the other hand, I think the CD leftovers reworked from scratch can work. There's a lot of potential in the Village demos, it would be a waste to not use the best songs. I don't think they have much from the mid 90s sessions, but if they do, then I would expect some of that stuff too. The "representation" part you talk about can be achieved with a really really good new lead single written by the new lineup. They should work from there IMO. After all, it's Slash's solos that people want to hear. And those will be in both new and old songs, so I don't see the big deal. 

In any case, I hope there will be as much material created together anew by these guys as possible. I keep insisting on this because to me, a record should represent certain arrangement between the musicians, certain mood and phase they're in. As a group. The chemistry in creating new music. I will always prefer this to any compilation of older songs that were remade, no matter how good they are. So I would prefer a "worse" album if it consisted mainly from brand new songs plus something from the 90s (with a few revamped NuGuns tracks) to what would basically be a reworked CD 2 with just a new single, even if the latter sounded better than the former. After all, the CD leftovers may be gradually spread over more records - who says they'll release just this one - so we may get to hear them anyway. Axl can still nail it in the studio, no matter how shitty he sounds live sometimes. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 5:53 AM, jamillos said:

I'm guessing Axl is more concerned with representing his own musical ambitions that include the past and just piling on Slash and Duff on top of it for the most part than for it to be like a snapshot of a specific time like most bands do. I think when you do that it comes with a price artistically but I also think Chinese is a great album.

I've said it before, but the ideal scenario for me would be if Axl released CD ll as is, with the original players and a completely new album from this lineup with Slash at the center of it later but it's probably never going to happen.

Axl doesn't release bad albums imo so at least I believe I'd like any potential release from Gn'R. A Different Kind Of Chinese.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

People don't seem to remember she said they were working 'fastidiously' lol.

But what folks here don't know is that she used it in the old Finno-Ugric meaning, where it means someone who "starts looking very seriously at what can be done in certain regards", at least that's what those old dictionaries say. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

People don't seem to remember she said they were working 'fastidiously' lol.

I totally believe some work on the album has been done, just like Susan said but I wonder which band members worked on it and how many of them worked on it together.

6 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Don't forget Gary Sunshine's original guitar licks that he taught Axl back in 1997, plus Chris Pitman's sublime subbass tracks that we all heard on the Village Leaks, and of course Josh Freese's original hi-hat and cymbal tracks, with Brain's kick and snare, and Frank's tom parts all mixed together. 

Now I wonder, did they record any of Teddy's tambourine parts from the Use Your Illusion tour? I remember hearing an isolated track from 1992 (can't remember which date though) which had a really unique sound to it. Anyway I always thought it would go fantastically well with a G chord Robin played one Tuesday back 2001. I know Bumblefoot played a few A minor chords in 2011, and that would work great behind a live solo from Buckethead in 2002. All Slash and Duff need to do is add their parts.

<knocks head off wall repeatedly>

Everything you said is a probable reality of what is to be expected on the next album. Except I'm sure they will cut DJ and Bumble.

1 hour ago, Nesret said:

400 pages while Susan was merely referring to Mr. Al Bum, a little known solo-entertainer who was coming to their town that day.

And they were working on him "fastidiously"? God help us. I mean him. God help him. 

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Everything you said is a probable reality of what is to be expected on the next album. Except I'm sure they will cut DJ and Bumble.

I genuinely wonder what reality you live in whereupon you think that is probable!