The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 hours ago, Dean said:

The vocals on Chinese were for the most part at least 9 years old by the time the record dropped though, it's definitely not unreasonable to think that there is a strong possibility of those vocal recordings being featured on the majority of a new record. Would it be that bad if it were? Also, being mental and GNR in general very much go hand in hand!!

Chinese is a frankenstein album. There's some alright moments on it, but it is a sonic mess. I never know whether to laugh or cry when somebody comes out with: "I recently discovered a hidden guitar track buried on song X and it just sounds amazing!" Despite the fact no fucker can actually properly hear it! I just think get a grip; and something better to do! Albums generally sound better when recorded live, or live in parts. And the proof is in the pudding! The whole idea of Ron Thal going into a studio years after the original tracks were recorded and adding god knows what kinda crazy fretless ass crap over tracks that were already layered to fuck, is just ridiculous. 

Also, I'll give you a very practical reason as to why it is unlikely vocal tracks from the 1990s would be used on any album potentially released in 2021... the singer don't sound like that nowadays! If AC/DC released a song now with Brian Johnson's vocals from 1981, they'd get slaughtered and rightly so. Same for GNR. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Chinese is a frankenstein album. There's some alright moments on it, but it is a sonic mess. I never know whether to laugh or cry when somebody comes out with: "I recently discovered a hidden guitar track buried on song X and it just sounds amazing!" Despite the fact no fucker can actually properly hear it! I just think get a grip; and something better to do! Albums generally sound better when recorded live, or live in parts. And the proof is in the pudding! The whole idea of Ron Thal going into a studio years after the original tracks were recorded and adding god knows what kinda crazy fretless ass crap over tracks that were already layered to fuck, is just ridiculous. 

Also, I'll give you a very practical reason as to why it is unlikely vocal tracks from the 1990s would be used on any album potentially released in 2021... the singer don't sound like that nowadays! If AC/DC released a song now with Brian Johnson's vocals from 1981, they'd get slaughtered and rightly so. Same for GNR. 

Yep, it would be a joke and if they really have the nerve to do it that way I hope they get slaughtered. 

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

It's all subjective. There's obviously a lot of layers on Chinese, but it really doesn't hinder my overall enjoyment of the record - I'd probably say it's my favourite album and not just with GNR. The initial demos from the Village Sessions, some of them are better than the album cuts, but then there are also tunes on there that benefitted from the years of laboring - There Was A Time being the key example of that, for me anyway.

The last single that GN'R put out had vocals recorded in 1986...honestly, do not be surprised if there is vocals from the original sessions. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

No doubt. There's casuals who thought Slash was on CD, so that's telling. 

I have no numbers but I honestly believe there are more casuals who never heard about CD than there are casuals who think Slash is on CD :lol:

36 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

"Crazy fretless ass crap" classic. 😄

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Dean said:

It's all subjective. There's obviously a lot of layers on Chinese, but it really doesn't hinder my overall enjoyment of the record - I'd probably say it's my favourite album and not just with GNR. The initial demos from the Village Sessions, some of them are better than the album cuts, but then there are also tunes on there that benefitted from the years of laboring - There Was A Time being the key example of that, for me anyway.

The last single that GN'R put out had vocals recorded in 1986...honestly, do not be surprised if there is vocals from the original sessions. 

It's not the layers that bother me about that record. It's the quality of of writing. This I Love has utterly nauseating lyrics, Scraped and Rhiad are musical car crashes, Catcher is meandering, IRS is cringey (missed a trick there, should've called it IRA and really stuck the fear of fuck intae folk!!!!), and Shackler's doesn't know what it is. There are some alright moments at best, and fair play if it is your fave album, but my interest in hearing a second volume at this stage is slim to fuck all.

I'm not really sure I understand your last point though. It's an outtake from the first era of rhe band so the vocals will be from 1986! It's not like everything else is re-recorded and Mellissa and Dizzy are banging oot the keys and synths on it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I have no numbers but I honestly believe there are more casuals who never heard about CD than there are casuals who think Slash is on CD :lol:

Oh don't you start coming oot wae shite like that! Haha! Just you wait until the CD fan boys see this comment... you'll have a breakdown of the number of copies sold in Montana, the number of CD tshirts seen in Andorra, the number of plays of Scraped on Neptune, and how the 2002 line up should be considered the classic line up! 😀😂😛🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

It's not the layers that bother me about that record. It's the quality of of writing. This I Love has utterly nauseating lyrics, Scraped and Rhiad are musical car crashes, Catcher is meandering, IRS is cringey (missed a trick there, should've called it IRA and really stuck the fear of fuck intae folk!!!!), and Shackler's doesn't know what it is. There are some alright moments at best, and fair play if it is your fave album, but my interest in hearing a second volume at this stage is slim to fuck all.

I'm not really sure I understand your last point though. It's an outtake from the first era of rhe band so the vocals will be from 1986! It's not like everything else is re-recorded and Mellissa and Dizzy are banging oot the keys and synths on it!

Shadow was advertised as a brand new single - Fernando's words, not mine! - and if all is to be believed, Melissa is on backing vox with Frank on drums, with modern Axl overdubbing - always called BS on that though. There is definitely some modern recording on that - guitars and what not, Adler confirmed that it wasn't him behind the kit at least.

A song named after the RA would truly have been something else and I'm sure tensions wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad as that fateful night in Dublin back in 2010 :lol:

26 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Not to defend TB, but y’all realize that fernando was just joking when he referred to SOYL as a “brand new single,” right?

Was he though? Joking as in a new album within 6 months? :lol: I can't remember the direct quote, but from the top of my head, I don't remember him saying anything that would take away from that being a genuine response, which wouldn't surprise me with the way things have been over the last year or two. 

9 minutes ago, Dean said:

Was he though? Joking as in a new album within 6 months? :lol: I can't remember the direct quote, but from the top of my head, I don't remember him saying anything that would take away from that being a genuine response, which wouldn't surprise me with the way things have been over the last year or two. 

We may be thinking of different quotes, but I was recalling the time he came on here right after SOYL dropped and when someone asked about new music he replied with “well we just put out a new single didnt we? :P” and then added something like “lol in all seriousness yes I’m sure there will be something in the future.” That was over 3 years ago tho so I guess he was just talking out of his ass.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

I completely disagree with your assessment of those songs. 

Also, are there really people here that would rather current Axl vocals than his takes from the late 90s? That's crazy to me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dean said:

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Shadow was advertised as a brand new single - Fernando's words, not mine! - and if all is to be believed, Melissa is on backing vox with Frank on drums, with modern Axl overdubbing - always called BS on that though. There is definitely some modern recording on that - guitars and what not, Adler confirmed that it wasn't him behind the kit at least.

That whole song is rerecorded. I've posted my reasoning about that here in the past; if you search you can probably find it. Plus Frank's quote ("that's a question for management") seems to imply that something was going on.

7 hours ago, Sweersa said:

No doubt. There's casuals who thought Slash was on CD, so that's telling. 

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I honestly don’t know if I’d even call them casual fans. I mean, in 2010s, the era of internet, unless you’re 90, it’s not excusable to not know that the official CD was released or that Slash was not involved in it (if you can’t tell from the music!?!). I’d rather call these folks just random bystanders, or better, “by-goers”. Folks who remember a few hits back from 20+ years ago and perhaps went to see the gig as they’d heard something worth seeing was happening, a reunion or whatever. But a "casual fan" should know a bit more IMO. At the very least, if they’re solely into the original, old stuff, they should be able to discern that CD does not contain Slash nor does it really sound anything like him. Othewise, we're not talking about "fans". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

The songwriting credits for SOYL on Spotify include the AfD5+Paul Tobias. Mike Clink is listed as the producer.

Yes, and this is why Frank couldn't give a straightforward answer on whether he played on it.

If he hadn't played, he could simply have answered "no".

EDIT: Sorry, now I noticed that you were referring to the songwriting credits, which are different from playing credits, so not relevant to whether Frank played or not. But AFD are also credited for playing on it anyway. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

That moment you realise you're on an online forum, discussing whether a hypothetical album by a band will feature decades old vocal tracks from a singer, who has released one album in almost 30 years, along with contributions from members who left 20 years ago, spliced together with new recordings from current members! I need a new hobby!!!!! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, and this is why Frank couldn't give a straightforward answer on whether he played on it.

If he hadn't played, he could simply have answered "no".

EDIT: Sorry, now I noticed that you were referring to the songwriting credits, which are different from playing credits, so not relevant to whether Frank played or not. But AFD are also credited for playing on it anyway. 

Well, if it is Frank playing it sure proves the People who thinks he lacks groove (at least in the studio) wrong.

2 hours ago, ThePreacher said:

That thing Iron Maiden has done with secrectly promoting their new album is absolutely genius. 

Maybe we should start looking seriously GNR tour posters if they have hidden something there?

It’s a total mind melt isn’t it. Fair play to the folk who have worked it out - it was like a treasure hunt or something. 🤣

55 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

He definitely lacks groove compared to Steven on that song.

If it was Frank on the single then he absolutely nailed it. It sounds absolutely like Adler to me?

I know Adler says it’s not him but I’m really not sure about that. A mystery indeed. 🤣

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s a total mind melt isn’t it. Fair play to the folk who have worked it out - it was like a treasure hunt or something. 🤣

Like us. Always "treasure hunting" and trying to find clues. But we never find anything. We never get anything..

Besides probably new 30s clip tonight and "HAPPY F'N 4TH OF JULY" this sunday.

10 hours ago, jamillos said:

I honestly don’t know if I’d even call them casual fans. I mean, in 2010s, the era of internet, unless you’re 90, it’s not excusable to not know that the official CD was released or that Slash was not involved in it (if you can’t tell from the music!?!). I’d rather call these folks just random bystanders, or better, “by-goers”. Folks who remember a few hits back from 20+ years ago and perhaps went to see the gig as they’d heard something worth seeing was happening, a reunion or whatever. But a "casual fan" should know a bit more IMO. At the very least, if they’re solely into the original, old stuff, they should be able to discern that CD does not contain Slash nor does it really sound anything like him. Othewise, we're not talking about "fans". 

A "Pepsi challenge" on identifying Slash's guitars from Robin or DJ (Heck, even Bucket and Bumble sometimes) would probably be difficult for most casual fans, and even some of us. It would be easier though if they play more challenging material though. :P