The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

On 7/1/2021 at 6:49 AM, SoulMonster said:

Slash denied it, correct, but only sort-of at first, and then you have Mani, Ian Brown and Aziz saying Slash offered to join Stone Roses. So who to trust? That's three in favor and one against. And look at it this way, who has a reason to lie about this? Why would Ian, Mani and Aziz lie about Slash wanting to join their band? It seems utterly random. On the other hand, Slash could have lied about it to save face about being rejected and because it doesn't really fit the narrative of him doing all he could to make things work in GN'R.

In the end we can't really conclude what happened. It is word against words. 

No offence...but how realistic is that Slash even heard  of Stone Roses!?

As I said, I know they were iconic in UK, but in the rest of Europe, hardly anyone knows a song, not to say people in Italy, Germany, Croatia, Austria, Portugal...hardly heard of Stone Roses.

Hell...Apart from Oasis, Blur..., if it wasn't  for Beautiful ones or Common People, nobody would even know of Suede or Pulp and THAT WAS 25 years ago.

Also, remember that Oasis and Blur outside of UK, unless a festival, never played a bigger venue in the rest of Europe.

Oasis at their peak played venues like Huxley's neue welt in Berlin (850 cap), Offenbacher stadthalle (slightly bigger) and a show here or there in Spain. None of those bands really ment much outside UK.

GNR were the BIGGEST band on the planet, selling out football stadiums wherever they wanted, Slash played venues bigger than those on global level with Snakepit.

8 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

As I said, I know they were iconic in UK, but in the rest of Europe, hardly anyone knows a song, not to say people in Italy, Germany, Croatia, Austria, Portugal...hardly heard of Stone Roses.

Hell...Apart from Oasis, Blur..., if it wasn't  for Beautiful ones or Common People, nobody would even know of Suede or Pulp and THAT WAS 25 years ago.

Also, remember that Oasis and Blur outside of UK, unless a festival, never played a bigger venue in the rest of Europe.

Oasis at their peak played venues like Huxley's neue welt in Berlin (850 cap), Offenbacher stadthalle (slightly bigger) and a show here or there in Spain. None of those bands really ment much outside UK.

GNR were the BIGGEST band on the planet, selling out football stadiums wherever they wanted, Slash played venues bigger than those on global level with Snakepit.

Maybe that was just the case with you and your friends. I was around then and all those bands (Britpop in general) were quite popular here in Greece, and I have similar recollection about other European countries. And before Britpop, the Stone Roses debut, the Happy Mondays album, the Charlatans were hits and the "Manchester" scene the most popular trend for about two years in 1989-90.

The Stone Roses were signed by Geffen for the US and Doug Goldstein tried out as their manager for a little while, so Slash definitely knew who they were.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe that was just the case with you and your friends. I was around then and all those bands (Britpop in general) were quite popular here in Greece, and I have similar recollection about other European countries. And before Britpop, the Stone Roses debut, the Happy Mondays album, the Charlatans were hits and the "Manchester" scene the most popular trend for about two years in 1989-90.

The Stone Roses were signed by Geffen for the US and Doug Goldstein tried out as their manager for a little while, so Slash definitely knew who they were.

People in Greece are more into rock music than in Germany. In Germany out of the Britpop bands only Oasis and Blur were well known.

21 hours ago, Towelie said:

The difference then is, we knew Axl was writing/recording. There's zero evidence that he's written or recorded anything since 2008.

Grant you that, Axl certainly wrote & recorded more up to 2008 than he has since. Fortus said, on camera, that Axl was presently recording vocals & stuff (with Pitman) in November 2014. This was after the DJ/Ron lineup had been disbanded in lieu of the 2nd Vegas residency. Axl had a trademark pending for Stay of Execution.

Then, Slash called and Axl realized he could make more money with NITL.

4 hours ago, ThePreacher said:

Like us. Always "treasure hunting" and trying to find clues. But we never find anything. We never get anything..

Besides probably new 30s clip tonight and "HAPPY F'N 4TH OF JULY" this sunday.

Yup - if that.  Treasure Hunting with Guns N Roses is pretty shit. 🤣

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

People in Greece are more into rock music than in Germany. In Germany out of the Britpop bands only Oasis and Blur were well known.

Ι don't think that Greek people are more into rock than German people, but my impression is that in Germany they're mostly into hard rock and metal and other rock genres are not so popular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankfurt93 said:

No offence taken and you certainly have a point. But yes, I am sure Slash would have heard of The Stone Roses. Both because the band had been signed to Geffen in 1991, the same label as GN'R, and because it was a very popular band, not only in the UK, and Slash -- as a musician -- would surely have kept up to date on what was happening in the world of rock, even overseas. It wasn't, though, very popular in the USA and that I believe was exactly what Goldstein wanted to do something with when he pushed to become The Stone Roses' new manager in 1996. Goldstein likely saw the huge potential for the band in the US, and with the band's guitar player, Squire, having left and with Slash looking for an out from GN'R, I believe he put two and two together. With Slash onboard that would help fuel The Roses' chance of breaking through in USA, and almost guarantee a commercial success. In the end that didn't happen, either because Mani and Ian Brown and Aziz are lying and Slash was never in the picture, or because they are telling the truth and they didn't want him. Goldstein only lasted for a few months as their manager -- if I remember correctly -- and Slash left GN'R regardless.

As for how popular Stone Roses was, it definitely was popular outside of England and the UK, as evidenced by no. of records sold and peak position at sales list.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

That's funny because here Germany is sorta considered a ''rock'' country. Bands from here will always try to make it in Germany because of the huge ''rock'' audience over there.

Edited by EvanG

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Ι don't think that Greek people are more into rock than German people, but my impression is that in Germany they're mostly into hard rock and metal and other rock genres are not so popular.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

That's funny because here Germany is sorta considered a ''rock'' country. Bands from here will always try to make it in Germany because of the huge ''rock'' audience over there.

Being a Greek who lives in Germany that's my impression based on the people I know.

Germans who are into rock love the big summer festivals and modern rock acts who are on the bill as well as metal, like Blackstar already said.

But when it comes to classic rock and stuff like GNR I think that it's more common in Greece.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

If it was Frank on the single then he absolutely nailed it. It sounds absolutely like Adler to me?

I know Adler says it’s not him but I’m really not sure about that. A mystery indeed. 🤣

Steven's playing is looser than what Frank is doing there, plus Frank is doing those consecutive cymbal crashes in the verses which Steven never did back in the day. I can hear the difference but I'm also a drummer so

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Steven's playing is looser than what Frank is doing there, plus Frank is doing those consecutive cymbal crashes in the verses which Steven never did back in the day. I can hear the difference but I'm also a drummer so

That’s fair comment - if you have a ‘drummers ear’ then you would absolutely pick-up on stuff like that that others might not.

So if it indeed is Frank….I have to say he does a great job IMO. I know he has loads of detractors but certainly on this….the fact it’s even being debated suggests he gets close (well - to the untrained ears of mines anyway).

Edited by DTJ80

Just now, DTJ80 said:

That’s fair comment - if you have a ‘drummers ear’ then you would pick-up on stuff like that.

So if it indeed is Frank….I have to say he does a great job IMO. I know he has loads of detractors but certainly on this….the fact it’s even being debated suggests he gets close (well - to the untrained ears of mines anyway).

Yeah it's close enough, he's not doing anything too weird with it.

10 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

That moment you realise you're on an online forum, discussing whether a hypothetical album by a band will feature decades old vocal tracks from a singer, who has released one album in almost 30 years, along with contributions from members who left 20 years ago, spliced together with new recordings from current members! I need a new hobby!!!!! :)

The Prince fans are way worse. They only just got done with his estate sale business and now sound just like circa-mid 2000 GNR fans waiting for new music.

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

Axl called Slash 

Axl dialed him by accident is the true story.

He was searching for the "slash key" because he just learned to use his new smartphone. 

8 hours ago, ThePreacher said:

Like us. Always "treasure hunting" and trying to find clues. But we never find anything. We never get anything..

Besides probably new 30s clip tonight and "HAPPY F'N 4TH OF JULY" this sunday.

Someone is going to visit a 4th of July party hosted by Axl where he secretly plays 4 new records for his guests.

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Why do people care when vocals are recorded? The best vocal goes on the track. You think Axl spends 25 years perfecting a song to say nah, I can't sound like the record does live, so I'll scrap it. Like live play is even a consideration as to what goes on a record! :lol: In 25 years do they think people will say 'Yeah that album was great, but the vocals were recorded 17 years before release and when they played it live in Baku, Azerbaijan, Axl didn't sound much like the studio version' 

I find that when discussing George Harrisons 'All things Must pass' People often complain that it was written 4 years earlier and his live version bore little resemblance to the studio version. NOT. Some people on here... the mind genuinely boggles. I'll spell it out. Not a single person will give a flying f*ck when the vocals are recorded, they will care if the song is good or bad. That's it. 

Because some fans still have hope that GnR can be a real and relevant band again. The best records are always a snapshot of the current state the artist is in at the given time. You do the recording while you feel it, so to speak. 

I don't want the best product, I want to hear real music.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Because some fans still have hope that GnR can be a real and relevant band again. The best records are always a snapshot of the current state the artist is in at the given time. You do the recording while you feel it, so to speak. 

You haven't gotten that from GnR since Spaghetti 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Hogwash. If Axl had a son or genetic twin brother that sounded just like him, your telling me you would not accept a record with the vocals from them? That would be closer to a real record recorded in 2021 by an "impersonater" than something Axl sang in 1980.

Edited by sliverjazz
spell
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Why do people care when vocals are recorded? The best vocal goes on the track. You think Axl spends 25 years perfecting a song to say nah, I can't sound like the record does live, so I'll scrap it. Like live play is even a consideration as to what goes on a record! :lol: In 25 years do they think people will say 'Yeah that album was great, but the vocals were recorded 17 years before release and when they played it live in Baku, Azerbaijan, Axl didn't sound much like the studio version' 

I find that when discussing George Harrisons 'All things Must pass' People often complain that it was written 4 years earlier and his live version bore little resemblance to the studio version. NOT. Some people on here... the mind genuinely boggles. I'll spell it out. Not a single person will give a flying f*ck when the vocals are recorded, they will care if the song is good or bad. That's it. 

For me personally the problem isn't necessarily that the vocals were recorded years prior and that's it - the issue is an album like CD combining vocals from 1999, guitar tracks from various sessions over a 10 year span from multiple guitarists, Frank re-recording Brain's parts which were re-records of Josh's parts, etc. that make it a disjointed sonic mess

So in that sense, I would much rather take new Axl vocals and any old compositions completely re-recorded and recorded how real, normal, non-Axl led rock bands do, than any of the above-stated stuff happening again for the next album

Songwriting is ofc an important aspect, but if the mix and production doesn't allow the core compositions to shine, that will effect the public's perception of the music as a whole for sure

Edited by WhazUp