The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

next to Absurd, Scraped is a masterpiece. I think it's great they played an old new song as a kind of a statement. Means new music is still a strong option surely? Hardskool could be next.

if they manage to release a final album, I don't want this tune taking space on it which could be filled by a song that is actually good. (imo)

I guess if Axl is going to release an album, it's probably going to be a continuation of what he was trying to do with Chinese. 2023 at the earliest? or if they'll want to support it with a tour maybe 2024 with a break before the release.

I like it, more so than some other cuts on Chinese, but not blown away by it. For me, it wouldn’t necessarily indicate the quality of the upcoming record. I recall Bad Apples being one of the first songs off of Illusions being played live before Estranged or Pretty Tied Up and I hated that song. I still hate it.

8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Wasn't there someone saying earlier this year that they were looking into releasing something Q4 of this year? I guess that's not entirely off the table then?

I'm sure it was a chap on Evo, but with everything involving Guns N' Roses, take it with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Unless GNR want to have Pitman get all the sweet $$$ royalties from a new GNR album after firing him, yes lol. Or they changed exactly the lyrics/music parts that Pitman wrote. I mean it had the same lyrics for like 15 years and now Axl thought the song/title needed changing after all that time, pretty weird.

I am under the impression that members of nuGuns were hired under contracts that likely offered salaries while negating their legal ownership of any material written (and thus any royalties).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

If Absurd and Hardschool is the best they got, maybe we don’t need new music… :lol:

The fact Axl thought it was worth dusting off Silkworms and putting even one second of energy into it tells me how far gone he is at this point as a creative entity.

He's got nothing, and thinks that Slash reworking songs from 20 years ago will some how validate what a colossal waste of time that 20 year period of his life was.

He should be freaking embarrassed that song ever existed in the first place. Yet his view of the world is so distorted at this point he not only isn't embarrassed, but commissioned the band to play around with the song and try to do something with it.

People with a vault of golden material don't allow time to be wasted on excrement like Silkworms.

He might as well put up a billboard with his face on it letting the world know he doesn't have crap, so we will be forced to listen to his by way of songs like Silkworms.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Naupis said:

The fact Axl thought it was worth dusting off Silkworms and putting even one second of energy into it tells me how far gone he is at this point as a creative entity.

He's got nothing, and thinks that Slash reworking songs from 20 years ago will some how validate what a colossal waste of time that 20 year period of his life was.

He should be freaking embarrassed that song ever existed in the first place. Yet his view of the world is so distorted at this point he not only isn't embarrassed, but commissioned the band to play around with the song and try to do something with it.

People with a vault of golden material don't allow time to be wasted on excrement like Silkworms.

He might as well put up a billboard with his face on it letting the world know he doesn't have crap, so we will be forced to listen to his by way of songs like Silkworms.

I think you're overreacting. We know Axl has a lot of material that is much better than Silkworms. I think this was just a way for the band to have some fun. This is a good thing imo, it indicates Axl is still interested in something other than nostalgia.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ferma said:

I like it, more so than some other cuts on Chinese, but not blown away by it. For me, it wouldn’t necessarily indicate the quality of the upcoming record. I recall Bad Apples being one of the first songs off of Illusions being played live before Estranged or Pretty Tied Up and I hated that song. I still hate it.

Bad Apples has a cracking groove to it and some great melodies IMO.

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

If Absurd and Hardschool is the best they got, maybe we don’t need new music… :lol:

I’m surprised at your opinion on Hardschool - what is it you don’t like?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I am under the impression that members of nuGuns were hired under contracts that likely offered salaries while negating their legal ownership of any material written (and thus any royalties).

Legal ownership and royalties are not exactly the same thing. The former is about owning the copyright, but someone can be paid royalties without owning the copyright. That's probably the case with Izzy and Steven; they get paid royalties, but their permission is not needed for a video release, for example. From a look at the ASCAP site it seems that all NuGnR members have publishers who collect their royalties. But Axl owns the rights, so he can use the material without having to ask for their consent.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

I don't get why they rolled this out,  half the time it sounds like a rock band falling down a giant stairs while playing at full tilt.. then the cinematic bit in to change the mood. Lyrically its a low point for Axl, fuck all melody, just shouting. 

This band could always hard wire gorgeous melody to white hot rage and that is what made them unique, I wish I would get them into a studio and keep peeling back all the layers in this new music until we found those two keystones and then just lightly build back up just enough until you've got your song.

Slash has become fond of being a shredder (sober and pushing himself I guess) and Axl retains his love of bells and whistles, neither man seems aware of what their magic was. 

5 hours ago, Naupis said:

Shouldn't be a surprise after Shadow Of Your Love was re-worked and released and promoted, which IMO is more of a throwaway song than Absurd.

I have a great piece of music that I wrote back in 2004, but never really figured out the best way to record it and release it. Does that mean that I have nothing more, that I'm incapable of writing new stuff? I wrote a lot more since then, but I see no reason to just disregard the previous work I had to do.

The fact that only Absurd and Hardschool, both songs we've heard already, are the only somewhat new ones being considered on the setlist right now is the key to the puzzle. It's 2006 all over again, when they played Better, IRS and TWAT after those songs leaked. Not comparing the quality of the songs, but the fact that Axl's choosing to play live only the already leaked unreleased stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I have a great piece of music that I wrote back in 2004, but never really figured out the best way to record it and release it. Does that mean that I have nothing more, that I'm incapable of writing new stuff? I wrote a lot more since then, but I see no reason to just disregard the previous work I had to do.

The fact that only Absurd and Hardschool, both songs we've heard already, are the only somewhat new ones being considered on the setlist right now is the key to the puzzle. It's 2006 all over again, when they played Better, IRS and TWAT after those songs leaked. Not comparing the quality of the songs, but the fact that Axl's choosing to play live only the already leaked unreleased stuff.

That means a new album in 2023!

Just now, Sweersa said:

That means a new album in 2023!

Hahaha

I think what really means is that we really don't know what the hell Axl thinks. Just because he did that before doesn't mean it will happen again. Maybe he will only play new songs if they leak somehow, so we're never gonna get an album. Who knows 

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think you're overreacting. We know Axl has a lot of material that is much better than Silkworms. I think this was just a way for the band to have some fun. This is a good thing imo, it indicates Axl is still interested in something other than nostalgia.

I think breaking out a reworked version of a goofy jam from over 20 years ago is nostalgia, no?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Exactly.. I have no interest in new music from this lineup and Axl's musical direction.. Neverminded his voice.. Hardschool and Absurd confirm that.. The last albums from Duff, Slash and Axl were all pretty bad as well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I was laughing until I realized how many people must have heard Scraped during the making of CD and told him it was good since it ended up on CD.

I can't understand the hate towards Scraped, the people not much fan of Guns N' Roses that I play it said it's one of the best song from Chinese Democracy, put it at the same level than Better, for example.

In a private message in facebook Bumblefoot told that he like this song, one of his favourites.

Hard Skool is a very good hard rock song for me, not as industrial as the demo, for me this is better.

Edited by axljungle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, axljungle said:

I can't understand the hate towards Scraped, the people not much fan of Guns N' Roses that I play it said it's one of the best song from Chinese Democracy, put it at the same level than Better, for example.

In a private message in facebook Bumblefoot told that he like this song, one of his favourites.

Hard Skool is a very good hard rock song for me, not as industrial as the demo, for me this is better.

Scraped’s biggest issue is falsetto intro and the falsetto bits throughout the song - REALLY bad. The riffs and actual song is actually pretty good but those vocal styles really hurt it IMO.

• Like 2