The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

State of Grace will have been finished. I don't think any of the Village sessions surpass 2001. Axl was still laying down vocals as late as 2007 for Chinese material.  Elvis Presley & the Monster of Soul, as an example, was recorded Christmas eve 2004. I'd say it's a safe bet that the guide vocals Axl recorded for State of Grace will have been replaced with audible lyrics!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It could be just trolling along with experimenting/testing the waters, like, "Let's put the most disliked song of the CD era out there and see if fans/the public will like it because Slash is on it."

Yeah, it's possible that some or a few of those Village leaks were never finished or revisited. But then, Better, Shackler's Revenge and Sorry were just instrumental demos in the Village leaks and Axl finished them later. We also know that Axl recorded vocals for Soulmonster (I don't think he would like about that) and that there are other songs, like the General and Scraped, which were created after the period of the Village leaks. Axl recorded vocals in 2006 and the track list changed until 2008.

The fact that he didn't record new vocals for Absurd/Silkworms doesn't consist proof or even indication on anything. Maybe Axl just thought the song didn't need more lyrics and new vocals.

It doesn't prove anything but it's a big indicator I think.

Given what I know about this guy, my best bet is as follows:

At some point he has been contractually obligated to release a new song.  My instinct would be from Live Nation, as part of the guarantee for the tour (he's likely being paid a huge sum for the tour, which usually comes with  promotional activity from the artist, arranged by the promoter).

I would suggest he's agreed to release a new song, probably with the intention of actually doing it.  As time has gone by, he's decided to submit a 22 year old demo and got Slash and Duff to play over it, and Caram to produce it - thus fulfilling his obligation without actually lifting a finger.

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

At some point he has been contractually obligated to release a new song.  My instinct would be from Live Nation, as part of the guarantee for the tour (he's likely being paid a huge sum for the tour, which usually comes with  promotional activity from the artist, arranged by the promoter).

I would suggest he's agreed to release a new song, probably with the intention of actually doing it.  As time has gone by, he's decided to submit a 22 year old demo and got Slash and Duff to play over it, and Caram to produce it - thus fulfilling his obligation without actually lifting a finger.

That's actually an interesting theory. The song's sudden release could well form part of a deal with Livenation, who are presumably not too happy with tour ticket sales. 

The thing that puts me a bit off that theory is that I can't see Axl being too happy about that.....which would probably have come out on stage when he announced it's release. 

Edited by allwaystired

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

blah blah blah... I've read some of your comments in this thread and gotta say: wow... you have a vivid imagination.

Just now, Dean said:

State of Grace will have been finished. I don't think any of the Village sessions surpass 2001. Axl was still laying down vocals as late as 2007 for Chinese material.  Elvis Presley & the Monster of Soul, as an example, was recorded Christmas eve 2004. I'd say it's a safe bet that the guide vocals Axl recorded for State of Grace will have been replaced with audible lyrics!

I hope you're right.

I'd say it's far from a safe bet he's finished State of Grace.  I think Slash has probably been asked to work on it though.

I imagine the vocals for Elvis Soul song are probably similar to State of Grace/Quick Song

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

I assume that what you "know about this guy" is not more than what the rest of us know. I also suppose you know that all this is pure speculation not based on even the slightest evidence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

State Of Grace does need new vocals, but you guys know the lyrics on the leaked version were finished, right? He may have re-written some parts since then, but there was completed lyrics in 2000...

I'd probably disagree.  The mumbled parts seem like they just have non-sensible placeholder words in lieu of finished lyrics.  It's mainly done though.

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

I hope you're right.

I'd say it's far from a safe bet he's finished State of Grace.  I think Slash has probably been asked to work on it though.

I imagine the vocals for Elvis Soul song are probably similar to State of Grace/Quick Song

A Christmas card of unadulterated venom!

3 minutes ago, davisp said:

blah blah blah... I've read some of your comments in this thread and gotta say: wow... you have a vivid imagination.

What?

Are you suggesting it's a vivid imagination for suggesting Rose hasn't done much/any vocal recording.

I think it was a safe bet anyway.

The face that their new single is Silkworms with the vocal from the Village Sessions demo to me suggests it's a certainty!

Hopefully I'm wrong because I love State of Grace, I love Thyme, I quite like Quick Song.  I want to hear Berlin!

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I assume that what you "know about this guy" is not more than what the rest of us know. I also suppose you know that all this is pure speculation not based on even the slightest evidence.

Yeah of course!  I know what we all know - that he doesn't seem to do much singing in the studio.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's actually an interesting theory. The song's sudden release could well form part of a deal with Livenation, who are presumably not too happy with tour ticket sales. 

The thing that puts me a bit off that theory is that I can't see Axl being too happy about that.....which would probably have come out on stage when he announced it's release. 

Yeah, I thought that to be honest.  He did seem pleased enough to announce it and perform it.

I still think his hand has been forced and he found it the path of least resistance to submit a song that he's already done his bit on.

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The biggest problem with this theory is the choice of the released song. If the purpose was to sell the tour and boost ticket sales, they would have surely released Hardschool or Perhaps first, which have more chances to gel with the casual fans. Absurd has the opposite effect, as the majority of casuals hate it.

32 minutes ago, Pele said:

Banned member, and disciple of the most infamous banned member so we shouldn't really discuss them.  However, given their absolute obsession over this band and their love of being 'insiders', they are rarely wrong when they make statements like this.

I agree though, they appear to be two separate songs to me.

You're right.  We don't know what is or isn't recorded, and I've no objection in using existing vocal takes.

I think the song is dreadful and I believe it was picked because it's one of 2-3 songs with usable vocal takes which meant he was able to 'release a single' without having to actually write lyrics or record anything himself.  This single may or may not have been contractually obligated to the tour promoter to help boost sales in the second leg of the tour.

I hope I'm wrong and we get a load of new songs.

I predict we'll either get nothing else - or HardSkool (with 20 year old vocal and Slash solo pasted over), or Atlas  (with 20 year old vocal and Slash solo pasted over).

I don't think we'll hear State of Grace as that will require him finishing the words and actually singing them.

I think you are way too pessimistic about Axl not recording new vocals, because he DID 2 years ago, did you forget that? And it only took a day apparently, he even sounds like his old self with the classic mid range rasp and not the clean voice from CD.

Just now, Blackstar said:

The biggest problem with this theory is the choice of the released song. If the purpose was to sell the tour and boost ticket sales, they would have surely released Hardschool or Perhaps first, which have more chances to gel with the casual fans. Absurd has the opposite effect, as the majority of casuals hate it.

Agreed.  I can very well imagine Rose feeling 'forced' to submit a new song and petulantly giving them one that the fan base didn't warm to.

Maybe that's why he got pleasure in performing it lol.

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think you are way too pessimistic about Axl not recording new vocals, because he DID 2 years ago, did you forget that? And it only took a day apparently, he even sounds like his old self with the classic mid range rasp and not the clean voice from CD.

Maybe I am.

Given the fact he never ever releases music, and the last two singles have had 35 year old vocal (SOYL) and 22 year old vocal (Silkworms) backs that up.

I didn't forget about the cartoon.

Like I say, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm surprised people are now starting to think Rose is coming back with a selection of new songs with brand new vocals because Slash has played a guitar solo over a 22 year old demo that nobody really liked at the time.

I'd like to hear a finished "Oklahoma".. yeah, yeah, Berlin.

It's the song I wanted to hear the most when "CD demos" was just a dream and nobody expected to ever hear anything from that era, ever. It always fascinated me and I wanted to hear it so much. Very much gave me "Yeah, he definitely wrote this in 95" vibe. Shame about no vocals, though. I'm sure they're finished by now since he bothered to change the title...

• Like 1

Just now, Pele said:

I'd probably disagree.  The mumbled parts seem like they just have non-sensible placeholder words in lieu of finished lyrics.  It's mainly done though.

What can I say?
Free will is blind today
The choice that you made
Not a road that I would take
To use and betray
The simplest power play
Now far away
With tears that go unexplained now

Oh, my love
Can it be?
I'm falling from your grace with me,
Oh, more than ever
I still remember...

The pain
It's just a passing phase
No, more like a game
Problems of the human race
Goes right to your brain
Caught down in a hidden place
With no sense of shame
The secret's out and you can't erase it...

Oh, my love
Can it be?
I'm falling from your grace with me
Now, more than ever
I still remember
Your name...

When did you think you would tell me?
How long you think I can wait?

(Oh no, I just...)
I thought I never said I was sorry
Now don't you fall on your face
Now you'll never learn
The storm is coming to get you
Oh, I sense a shivering doom
You thought you had it, yea
You thought you had it figured out
But you're still the same...

My love, you're killing me
You've fallen from your grace with me
Oh, my love
I am the temple I believe in
'Cause now
More than ever
I still remember
Your name...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

Maybe I am.

Given the fact he never ever releases music, and the last two singles have had 35 year old vocal (SOYL) and 22 year old vocal (Silkworms) backs that up.

I'm surprised people are now starting to think Rose is coming back with a selection of new songs with brand new vocals because Slash has played a guitar solo over a 22 year old demo that nobody really liked at the time.

I think Axl wants to finish what he started in the Chinese sessions. He now has enough leverage with the record label to get this old stuff released, thanks to Slash & Duff being part of it. So hopefully they can get an album released pretty soon, and then 2-3 years later they can do an album of brand new material. 

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

Maybe I am.

The fact that Silkworms has 20 year old vocals doesn't prove anything in my opinion. he could have recorded those same vocals yesterday, it's just shouting, there is no reason to change it and go through that whole process if it's already exactly how he wanted it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I think Axl wants to finish what he started in the Chinese sessions. He now has enough leverage with the record label to get this old stuff released, thanks to Slash & Duff being part of it. So hopefully they can get an album released pretty soon, and then 20-30 years later they can do an album of brand new material. 

Your "0" key seems to be broken, let me fix that for you. This is Guns N' Roses, remember? :D

10 minutes ago, bassplayer1993 said:

I'd like to hear a finished "Oklahoma".. yeah, yeah, Berlin.

It's the song I wanted to hear the most when "CD demos" was just a dream and nobody expected to ever hear anything from that era, ever. It always fascinated me and I wanted to hear it so much. Very much gave me "Yeah, he definitely wrote this in 95" vibe. Shame about no vocals, though. I'm sure they're finished by now since he bothered to change the title...

Same.

Not sure why, but Oklahoma was always the one I wanted to hear the most too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah but you know what he's like.

He's been paid for the tour now.  This would have been a contractual obligation, that he now probably feels is unjust, so he's being petty and releasing the worst song he had.

You know, exactly what he did with ChiDem.  Got the BestBuy payment, released the thing and flat out refused to do any publicity because he had a tantrum that the label wanted something they'd actually paid for.

Either I'm right - or he genuinely feels the best song to announce their comeback is Silkworms with 22 year old vocal and chorus removed.

12 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The fact that Silkworms has 20 year old vocals doesn't prove anything in my opinion. he could have recorded those same vocals yesterday, it's just shouting, there is no reason to change it and go through that whole process if it's already exactly how he wanted it.

No, but it's a pretty poor song that the fan base didn't like 20 years ago.

It would be completely understandable if he released a really good song with a great vocal that was old.

But Silkworms? 

Like I say, either he thinks Silkworms is the best song to come back with, or he gave them a song where he didn't have to do any additional work himself.

I'm not sure which is worse tbh.