The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yes, just an idea, based on contracts I've seen recently.

I'm in this industry (no insider).  Tours are worth more than albums these days and a LOT of guarantees come with a certain exchange of media appearances.

Rose likely said no to doing the media circuit as always, but could have very feasibly agreed to a 'new' song, knowing he had Silkworms up his sleeve.

If he agreed to release/play songs as part of the Live Nation deal, it’s very possible that it may only be these two songs that see the light of day

Especially if the label didn’t put any $ towards Slash/Duff going in to refresh the songs. That would explain a lot

1 minute ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Sp1at's latest comments, in case it wasn't already posted: 

I've not asked, to be honest. Things appear to be panning out as I said earlier in the year. I'll leave it for a while

There's not alot of footprint for the new song at the moment, it's not coming up on ISRC or on SESAC. I cannot check Universal's system just now as I do not have my login for it. I'll keep checking about, but I'll leave asking questions for now.

I believe this s because it's just been rushed out to relieve them of a contractual obligation.

The YouTube entry just says 'written by Guns n Roses', and makes a point stating Brain is on drums.

We've heard from Pittman that he wrote it.  My guess is they rushed it out (didn't one of the wives say they made the video a few days ago) and haven't bothered to even register it and split credits yet.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What? I don't argue that Axl sits on many new songs written after 99/00. I am arguing against you stating that he hasn't added vocals to other songs from 99/0.

Anat what point will you start to believe hes not done many completed songs with vocals after 99/00?

If for the next 18 months they drip-feed us with songs like Perhaps, Atlas, HardSkool etc, will you still think he has a new albums worth of material?

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That's smart, actually. If it doesn't get a positive response, there's no damage at all. Axl can just say something like "we put that out as a joke and we enjoyed it, here is our new single".

I think that is exactly what he will say!

"we put that out as a joke and we enjoyed it, here is our new single - HardSkool!!!!! (which co'incidentally I finished the vocal on in 1999".

1 minute ago, Pele said:

"we put that out as a joke and we enjoyed it, here is our new single - HardSkool!!!!! (which co'incidentally I finished the vocal on in 1999".

His 1999 vocal on Hard School is awesome. I'm very confident we don't want to hear 60 year old Axl on that song. But I do want to hear some Slash guitar work added to it! They have now set a pretty low bar with Absurd/Silkworms. I think people will be blown away by Hard School. 

1 minute ago, Pele said:

But he has basically already implied it's a joke. And Slash wore a mock KFC shirt when they first played it.

That doesn't mean that Axl (and I would say Slash and Duff, too) doesn't like the song - he does, but he also knows that many fans disliked Silkworms.

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

His 1999 vocal on Hard School is awesome. I'm very confident we don't want to hear 60 year old Axl on that song. But I do want to hear some Slash guitar work added to it! They have now set a pretty low bar with Absurd/Silkworms. I think people will be blown away by Hard School. 

Yeah it's fine.  He's not going to get a better take now.

I just don't get some people thinking there is an album of new songs, but just by complete coincidence, the first two singles are going to be 2 songs he finished his parts on in 1999.

It's blatantly obvious that he's just giving us what he's got.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

But he has basically already implied it's a joke. And Slash wore a mock KFC shirt when they first played it.

That doesn't mean that Axl (and I would say Slash and Duff, too) doesn't like the song - he does, but he also knows that many fans disliked Silkworms.

Who cares if Slash or Duff like it.  Duff likes So Fine and Tenderness.

Ultimately - I believe as part of the tour, they were obligated to give a new song, so Rose gave us Silkworms because he'd already done his work on it, and it was so cringe it could be passed of as a joke if criticized.

Some seem to think Slash pasting a guitar solo over Silkworms means Rose has recorded an album of new songs.

I think it point to him having almost nothing else.

I like Tenderness, but that's not a GNR song. Im not gonna post a lot of quotes because frankly its too much. But of course Hard Skool will have the original 1999/2000 vocals. Why wouldn't it? It's about having the best take, not the most current when nobody outside the hardcore fanbase would give a shit if this was recorded now or then. Same reason why he didn't ask Brain to rerecord the drums for Absurd (I mean, it's the same from the 2017 leak, so it was probably recorded back in 2000 or so). It's there, already recorded. There's really no reason to rerecord vocals for those songs if the structure is the same.

All I'm saying is that Axl has a whole album worthy of vocals already recorded. It doesn't matter if its from 1999 or 2007 or 2020. His intention was always to release those songs, even after Slash and Duff came back. So that's what he's doing, apparently. Does that mean that they did nothing else? No, we don't know.

Again, it's not logical to assume everything has a pattern based on the very few bits and pieces of information we have. 

One thing I give you: I also don't think Absurd was their 1st choice. I believe Hard Skool should be the first single in 2020, but the plans changed for some reason.

3 hours ago, Pele said:

But yeah - some guy at a party said Axl told him about 100 Cuban Skies so there must be an albums worth of material.

Get real!  There is a slim chance he's contractually obligated to release a new album, in which case, I'll look forward to:

1. HardSkool (99 vocal)
  2. Atlas Shrugged (99 vocal)
  3. Going Down (Duff on Vocal)
  4. Rock the Rock
  5. Silkworms (99 vocal)
  6. New Duff Song
  7. Knocking on Heavens Door (99 vocal)
  8. The General (07 vocal)
  9. Perhaps (99 vocal)
  10. PRL (instrumental with Thyme)
  11. Children of the Revolution (07 vocal)

Bonus tracks - Blood in the Water and This I Love remix

This is ridiculous but I must admit it gave me a big laugh when I read PRL instrumental and KOHD. 

You forgot Oh My God (99 vocal) BTW.

28 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Sp1at's latest comments, in case it wasn't already posted: 

I've not asked, to be honest. Things appear to be panning out as I said earlier in the year. I'll leave it for a while

There's not alot of footprint for the new song at the moment, it's not coming up on ISRC or on SESAC. I cannot check Universal's system just now as I do not have my login for it. I'll keep checking about, but I'll leave asking questions for now.

What's that about? Absurd's credits?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

This is ridiculous but I must admit it gave me a big laugh when I read PRL instrumental and KOHD. 

You forgot Oh My God (99 vocal) BTW.

Haha yeah you're right with OMG.

That was a demo though don't forget, a working title probably.

I'm expecting 'Millions of Spiders, featuring Slash (99 vocal obviously)

But in all seriousness, I would genuinely expect the tracklist to be as I wrote.  Rock the Rock was a bit of a joke I'll admit, but imagine if last week, I'd have told you to guess which of the following statements were true, what would you say:

• A full version of Rock the Rock will be on the next album
  • They will release a new single, and it will be Silkworms with the same vocal from the village sessions
Edited by Pele
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Pele said:

Anat what point will you start to believe hes not done many completed songs with vocals after 99/00?

If for the next 18 months they drip-feed us with songs like Perhaps, Atlas, HardSkool etc, will you still think he has a new albums worth of material?

II will believe he has not finished many songs when no new album materializes. 

53 minutes ago, Pele said:

You can't 'explain' to me that a new album probably exists just because you think it might.  

Just like I can't state as fact it doesn't.

It's looking unlikely, as yet again, he's pulling from the 99 sessions.  And we both know the next 'single' will be from the 99 sessions.

Like I've said to Soulmoster above, one of us will be right.

If they release some new songs, I'll be wrong.

If they release HardSkool, then Atlas, the Perhaps - will you start considering the possibility that the well is pretty much dry apart from maybe 1-2 others from 97/08?

How can you say that Axl hasnt added any vocals to Oklahoma or Quick Song between 2001 and 2007? You just assume that Axl is lazy because no leaks are available from that time period. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

II will believe he has not finished many songs when no new album materializes. 

After how long?

If by this time next year, all we've had is Hard Skool 99 vocal, will you start to think I may be right?

All we've got, as ever, is wild speculation. Anybody that claims we have anything but that other than members of the band is totally wrong. 

Literally not one person, no rumour, and definitely no supposed 'insider' even hinted at Absurd. 

Fun to speculate though....but that's all we have!

Edited by allwaystired

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

How can you say that Axl hasnt added any vocals to Oklahoma or Quick Song between 2001 and 2007? You just assume that Axl is lazy because no leaks are available from that time period. 

Because I don't think he writes much music or does much singing.

Evidence of that being:

• One album in 25 years
  • 80% of said album coming from the 99 sessions
  • New single coming from the leftovers of the 99 sessions
  • Fink leaving because he was tired of working on instrumentals
  • Most of the 99 sessions being instrumentals
  • the 07 sessions comprising mainly of newer versions of the 99 sessions
  • the next single 99% chance coming from the 99 sessions

If a new album comes out, I'll be wrong.  Simple as that

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

All we've got, as ever, is wild speculation. Anybody that claims we have anything but that other than members of the band is totally wrong. 

Literally not one person, no rumour, and definitely no supposed 'insider' even hinted at Absurd. 

Fun to speculate though....but that's all we have!

I know.  

Also, literally not one person, no rumour, and definitely no supposed 'insider' even hinted at State of Grace being a song, or HardSkool being the title of Checkmate.

I think Absurd was rushed out though.  I believe he was reminded he owed a song as part of the tour - and as one of the wives said, they made the video one day last week, got Slash to record a solo and submitted an otherwise completed song.

Just now, Pele said:

After how long?

If by this time next year, all we've had is Hard Skool 99 vocal, will you start to think I may be right?

One year only? No, we have to look at this in GN'R time, somewhat close to geological time, so after about 10 years I will probably think that for some reason the album is not coming out after all. And not because Hard Skool didn't have new vocals :lol:

As for you being right about there not being enough finished songs to make up an album, i.e. that the new lineup only did Absurd and Hard School and that there are not enough other songs already finished to comprise an album, that I will only believe when Axl or Caram come out and says so. I was leaning towards believing a new album was being prepared before it was clear the new lineup had worked on songs and before Absurd was released, so now I naturally lean a little harder.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

One year only? No, we have to look at this in GN'R time, somewhat close to geological time, so after about 10 years I will probably think that for some reason the album is not coming out after all. And not because Hard Skool didn't have new vocals :lol:

As for you being right about there not being enough finished songs to make up an album, i.e. that the new lineup only did Absurd and Hard School and that there are not enough other songs already finished to comprise an album, that I will only believe when Axl or Caram come out and says so. I was leaning towards believing a new album was being prepared before it was clear the new lineup had worked on songs and before Absurd was released, so now I naturally lean a little harder.

Fair enough.

I lean the other way.  There aren't any new songs, so they are having to work on the stuff he's already done to fulfill whatever obligations they may have.

If you'll only accept that until Axl says so, then I think you'll be waiting forever.  Not only does he refuse to record vocals, but he refuses to update his fanbase.  They'll just keep dangling a carrot whilst releasing more stuff with 99 vocals.

3 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

I agree that a good portion of the album is gonna be ‘99 vocals but this whole debate is dumb. Better & Shacklers are still rough instrumentals on the village discs, so he literally had to have recorded vocal takes after that.

Yeah we know.  He clearly did another session in 07/08 sometime.

10 minutes ago, Pele said:

Because I don't think he writes much music or does much singing.

Evidence of that being:

• One album in 25 years
  • 80% of said album coming from the 99 sessions
  • New single coming from the leftovers of the 99 sessions
  • Fink leaving because he was tired of working on instrumentals
  • Most of the 99 sessions being instrumentals
  • the 07 sessions comprising mainly of newer versions of the 99 sessions
  • the next single 99% chance coming from the 99 sessions

If a new album comes out, I'll be wrong.  Simple as that

But the question isn't whether Axl writes much music or does much singing, but whether enough songs have been finalized to make up a new album. And fact is that there were lots of songs in various states of completion already back in 99/00 (Atlas, Perhaps++), and that the band has worked on new music since then (both new songs as well as worked on completing old songs; like The General and Hard Skool), and that they have now even released one of these songs (Absurd; one of the old songs). Additionally, we have plenty of anecdotal evidence of there being lots of music finished, we have Axl's old quotes about wanting to release more music and that this was always his intention, and we have contemporary rumours from people who likely know more than us that the band is working on new music intended for a release. 

The main thing that puts doubt in my mind, is that Axl hasn't expressed a genuine interest in releasing an album in recent interviews (as far as I know), contrary to what he said prior to the release of CD, and that there isn't a lot of industry buzz. But this could simply be that he has learnt to keep his mouth shut. I definitely don't consider the fact that Axl didn't re-record all the vocals on Absurd, but possibly only recorded one new word, as some weighty evidence that they haven't got enough finished songs to release an album, nor that Hard Skool is also likely to not contain new vocals (and why should it, the existing vocals are great).

18 minutes ago, Pele said:

I know.  

Also, literally not one person, no rumour, and definitely no supposed 'insider' even hinted at State of Grace being a song, or HardSkool being the title of Checkmate.

I think Absurd was rushed out though.  I believe he was reminded he owed a song as part of the tour - and as one of the wives said, they made the video one day last week, got Slash to record a solo and submitted an otherwise completed song.

I think that's entirely possible. We'll have to see what plays out for the rest of the tour. It should be clear in a few weeks if this is part of some sort of 'strategy' or not I reckon. Fingers crossed it is. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But the question isn't whether Axl writes much music or does much singing, but whether enough songs have been finalized to make up a new album. And fact is that there were lots of songs in various states of completion already back in 99/00 (Atlas, Perhaps++), and that the band has worked on new music since then (both new songs as well as worked on completing old songs; like The General and Hard Skool), and that they have now even released one of these songs (Absurd; one of the old songs). Additionally, we have plenty of anecdotal evidence of there being lots of music finished, we have Axl's old quotes about wanting to release more music and that this was always his intention, and we have contemporary rumours from people who likely know more than us that the band is working on new music intended for a release. 

The main thing that puts doubt in my mind, is that Axl hasn't expressed a genuine interest in releasing an album in recent interviews (as far as I know), contrary to what he said prior to the release of CD, and that there isn't a lot of industry buzz. But this could simply be that he has learnt to keep his mouth shut. I definitely don't consider the fact that Axl didn't re-record all the vocals on Absurd, but possibly only recorded one new word, as some weighty evidence that they haven't got enough finished songs to release an album, nor that Hard Skool is also likely to not contain new vocals (and why should it, the existing vocals are great).

I've said I believe just about enough is done to cobble together an album.

And I'm not even joking to suggest it's going to look like the following:

• HardSkool (99 vocal)
  • Atlas Shrugged (99 vocal)
  • Going Down (Duff on Vocal)
  • Rock the Rock (partly joking)
  • Silkworms (99 vocal)
  • New Duff Song
  • Knocking on Heavens Door (99 vocal)
  • The General (07 vocal)
  • Perhaps (99 vocal)
  • PRL (instrumental with Thyme)
  • Children of the Revolution (07 vocal)*
  • Bonus tracks - Blood in the Water and This I Love remix

*If they didn't actually record Children of the Revolution, replace with Light My Fire, Wichita Linesman, Black Hole Sun or even more likely a Johnny Thunders cover sung by Duff.

38 minutes ago, Pele said:

Haha yeah you're right with OMG.

That was a demo though don't forget, a working title probably.

I'm expecting 'Millions of Spiders, featuring Slash (99 vocal obviously)

But in all seriousness, I would genuinely expect the tracklist to be as I wrote.  Rock the Rock was a bit of a joke I'll admit, but imagine if last week, I'd have told you to guess which of the following statements were true, what would you say:

• A full version of Rock the Rock will be on the next album
  • They will release a new single, and it will be Silkworms with the same vocal from the village sessions

Rock the Rock > Absurd 

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

If you'll only accept that until Axl says so, then I think you'll be waiting forever.  Not only does he refuse to record vocals, but he refuses to update his fanbase.

Except that it looks like he has recorded new vocals :lol: Or did you forget about "absurd" already?

As for waiting, uhm, yeah, I have been waiting for GN'R music for 30+ years. I am used to it. I just fill the waiting period with living my life. You get used to it.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Except that it looks like he has recorded new vocals :lol: Or did you forget about "absurd" already?

As for waiting, uhm, yeah, I have been waiting for GN'R music for 30+ years. I am used to it. I just fill the waiting period with living my life. You get used to it.

Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they spent a few hours manipulation the existing 'absurd' with pro-tools rather than recording it - but at the very very most, he has recorded a single, solitary word for the song!

And I think that adds to the theory of being forced to release it.

You can imagine this absolute man-child looking over the contract and concluding one single word ticks the 'new vocal' box and he's shouted 'Absurd' because he thinks he's so smart!