The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Option 2

Guns n' Roses are back and have a brand new album of songs ready to go.  They have decided they are ready to showcase what they have been working on, so they want to release a single!  Together, they all agree Silkworms is the PERFECT song to get the public excited for their new album!  By sheer luck and co-incidence, Rose has finished his vocal back in 1999, so he didn't have to do anything - but don't worry, all the other songs of the new album will have fresh new lyrics and vocals!

Except that he likely did record at least the new absurd part. You know, it doesn't become true just because you keep repeating it. 

Besides, why do you ask us to choose between these two arbitrary scenarios? It could easily be option 3 or 4. 

1 minute ago, adamsapple said:

There is no new album.

They got nothing.

Since 2016 the only stuff that hasn't been done live in a while was a 30 year old outtake (Shadow Of Your Love from 1986 previously officially released as a b-side to Live And Let Die single in 1991) and another 20 year old outtake from the Chinese Democracy sessions (Silkworms aka Absurd, performed live for the first time at Rock in Rio in 2001)

These are not new songs! These are outtakes they haven't performed live for a long time, but they already performed them in concerts decades ago. Like dusting off deep cuts, just nowhere near the quality of the deep cuts.

Up next will be yet another 20 year old outtake from the Chinese Democracy sessions, named Hearts Cool or however those dyslexic motherfuckers gonna spell it.

5 years of "reunion" = 3 outtakes and some covers.

If there will ever be another GNR album, it's likely going to be a doggy bag filled with cold, stale, raw, overcooked, half-baked and half rotten lefftovers. Duff might throw in a punk song while Slash will be noodling to vocals Axl recorded 20 years ago.

They are done.

Exactly!  Read my comments over the last 5 pages!

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Except that he likely did record at least the new absurd part. You know, it doesn't become true just because you keep repeating it. 

Besides, why do you ask us to choose between these two arbitrary scenarios? It could easily be option 3 or 4. 

One word.  Is that the strength of your argument?  He recorded ONE WORD.

IMO opinion, that is quite clearly the result of a clause along the lines of 'any recording needs to include Axl/Slash/Duff recorded post 2018", so he's satisfied that clause by shouting one word.  

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Pele said:

One word.  Is that the strength of your argument?  He recorded ONE WORD.

pardon my ignorance, but what word? the "absurd" word in the chorus was copy&pasted from the other part of the song... there are zero "new" vocals in that song.

Edited by zombux

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Yeah me too. 

I'd suggest his involvement in that was as follows:

Email from Axl to Caram in 2006.

Hi Caram,

Please ask Bumblefoot to record a guitar solo for Silkworms so it contains the current line-up.  Once done, paste over the old solo.  Also, I don't like the 'Bitch Like You' part - get rid of it.

Thanks

Whether Axl himself does the actual digital changes is irrelevant to my point - it still means the song was important to him and that he had some plans for it. And again you "forgot" about the fact that Axl likely recording at least some new vocals for it.

Just to get a clear picture from the evolution of the song. 

As Silkworms

1999 version with Josh Freese

2000 version with Brain

2002/04 version with Richard 

As Absurd

2006 version with BBF

2010 version with DJ Ashba*

2021 version with Slash, Duff and Melissa 

* not confirmed but possible 

Edited by Sosso

14 minutes ago, Pele said:

Well what do you think is more likely.

Option 1

Axl accepted a huge offer from Live Nation for the tour.  Part of the offer consisted of supplying them with a new song that they could use as promotion during the second leg (a very common request these days).  Rose agreed, but didn't actually get round to writing/recording a new song. They were able to ascertain that they could use an existing song, but it needed to have new parts from everyone, so he added the word 'Absurd' and got Slash and Duff to record parts and submitted it.

OR

Option 2

Guns n' Roses are back and have a brand new album of songs ready to go.  They have decided they are ready to showcase what they have been working on, so they want to release a single!  Together, they all agree Silkworms is the PERFECT song to get the public excited for their new album!  By sheer luck and co-incidence, Rose has finished his vocal back in 1999, so he didn't have to do anything - but don't worry, all the other songs of the new album will have fresh new lyrics and vocals!

Well I think everyone is also expecting Hard Skool to be out sooner rather than later, so I would say that pretty much invalidates option 1. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

The strength of my argument is that it is clear the song has been worked on since 99, and hence it is a song that Axl had plans for. 

Of course he had plans for it!

It's a song he didn't have to write any more lyric for or re-record any vocals (apart from literally shout (not sing) "Absurd!" once.

It's no surprise he had it worked on.

When he goes to work, I'm not expecting he's sitting there behind a piano composing new material.  I imagine he emails Caram and tells him to ask Dizzy to add some more keys to Atlas Shrugged.

4 minutes ago, zombux said:

pardon my ignorance, but what word? the "absurd" word in the chorus was copy&pasted from the other part of the song... there are zero "new" vocals in that song.

Yeah, we weren't certain about that. I assume someone has looked at it closely then. Makes more sense that they would copy paste that word than that they was contractually obligated to record new vocals to the song and cleverly did as little as possible by just recording one word which would open themselves up to legal litigation, instead of just recording the entire vocals again. 

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Of course he had plans for it!

Good, then it hopefully becomes somewhat easier for you to accept that it became the first single. 

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Just to get a clear picture from the evolution of the song. 

As Silkworms

1999 version with Josh Freese

2000 version with Brain

2002/04 version with Richard 

As Absurd

2006 version with BBF

2010 version with DJ Ashba*

2021 version with Slash, Duff and Melissa 

* not confirmed but possible 

As Silkworms

1999 version with Josh Freese WITH 99 AXL VOCAL

2000 version with Brain WITH 99 AXL VOCAL

2002/04 version with Richard WITH 99 AXL VOCAL

As Absurd

2006 version with BBF WITH 99 AXL VOCAL AND THE WORD 'ABSURD' SHOUTED 

2010 version with DJ Ashba* WITH 99 AXL VOCAL AND THE WORD 'ABSURD' SHOUTED

2021 version with Slash, Duff and Melissa WITH 99 AXL VOCAL AND THE WORD 'ABSURD' SHOUTED

I'd be willing to bet he has similar versions of HardSkool, Atlas and Perhaps.

I'd be willing to bet full vocal versions of D-Tune, Circus Maximum, Tonto, Curtly Shuffle, Prom Violence, Circus Maximus, Quick Song, PRS, Cuban Skies etc etc do not exist

The vocals are the same as the Bumblefoot demo - they're at least 15 years old, probably closer to 20.

There's absolutely a good chance that other songs will have 15-20 year old vocals, like Hardschool, but if you're really at a point where you think Rock The Rock is in consideration for a new album simply because it exists and Axl wouldn't have to record new vocals, you're fuckin' crazy :lol:

The idea that more vocals don't exist simply because they haven't leaked is incredibly stupid.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The idea that more vocals don't exist simply because they haven't leaked is incredibly stupid.

The idea that a new album with new vocals exists, but they've decided Silkworms with vocals done in 99 is the best choice for first single is incredibly stupid.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Pele said:

Well what do you think is more likely.

Option 1

Axl accepted a huge offer from Live Nation for the tour.  Part of the offer consisted of supplying them with a new song that they could use as promotion during the second leg (a very common request these days).  Rose agreed, but didn't actually get round to writing/recording a new song. They were able to ascertain that they could use an existing song, but it needed to have new parts from everyone, so he added the word 'Absurd' and got Slash and Duff to record parts and submitted it.

OR

Option 2

Why does it have to be either? Could be they just went ‘fuck it’ and fired it out as they had fun with it? Just because it’s a divisive tune means nothing to them if they get a kick out of playing it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pele said:

The idea that a new album with new vocals exists, but they've decided Silkworms with vocals done in 99 is the best choice for first single is incredibly stupid.

Any scenario where they decided that Silkworms was the best song to release is stupid, no argument there :lol:

We know there was more vocals recorded after 1999-2000 though (Better, Sorry, Going Down, This I Love, The General, etc) and it's been said that Axl has recorded vocals after CD was released, so again, just because we haven't heard them doesn't mean they don't exist. :shrugs:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Why does it have to be either? Could be they just went ‘fuck it’ and fired it out as they had fun with it? Just because it’s a divisive tune means no Hint to them if they get a kick out of playing it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Because all other possible options don't fit his narrative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manfisman said:

Because all other possible options don't fit his narrative.

The narrative is that they've released a new single and he's picked Silkworms 99.

Some of you somehow see that as a sign that they've got an album ready, with new lyrics/vocals.

I see it as a sign that they have very little so they are just up-cycling existing songs where Rose has already done his bit.

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

The narrative is that they've released a new single and he's picked Silkworms 99.

Some of you somehow see that as a sign that they've got an album ready, with new lyrics/vocals.

I see it as a sign that they have very little so they are just up-cycling existing songs where Rose has already done his bit.

I don't disagree with this at all. quite the contrary.

12 minutes ago, Manfisman said:

All I have to say is that Maradona was better than Pele, anyway.

I'm torn.

image.png.8f3476300993836d5b1c8a3521d67c2e.png

Celtic Collectibles on Twitter: "Pele & Paul McStay http://t.co/FJVT4AnRmJ"

Maradona wins it though, let's be honest. Shilton is still in tears as is Butcher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s possible he won’t record another note until they are off of their deal and hasn’t recorded a note of himself since UMg stopped funding the CD sessions. If that means trying to convince UMG to release whatever’s left to get out of it, than so be it 

18 hours ago, MrMojo said:

If state of grace or perhaps get released do you think there'll be much change to it? Those 2 imo need no work, atlas on the other hand needs a little.

State Of Grace could use a short but intense Slash/Fortus/Buckethead/Robin guitar solo, and a proper vocal take (I believe the one we heard was placeholder or "scratch vocals")

I agree on Perhaps needing nothing more than a proper mix and mastering.