The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

What I've been thinking since the first time I heard State Of Grace is that the melody for the "oh my love" part sounds very similar to the orchestral bit from The General used as a show intro around 2010.

We also know that The General was brought to the table by Brain after the village sessions. 

Educated guess: that bit of State Of Grace might have been reworked to fit the song brought by Brain (ie The General).

Just now, Blackstar said:

Had that guy talked about Perhaps? Because I hadn't seen that name mentioned among the "known" song titles before the Village leaks. Also wasn't that guy saying that Tonto and Dummy were the same (which was proven wrong), or I'm mistaken?

Yes, the guy listed Perhaps, Going Down and Tonto in a list in 2011.  These titles were not known to the fan base and not mentioned in the 2008 chats.

Tonto isn't Dummy.  I heard Cuban Skies might be (which would explain Cuban Skies not being on the list)

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Yes, the guy listed Perhaps, Going Down and Tonto in a list in 2011.  These titles were not known to the fan base and not mentioned in the 2008 chats.

Tonto isn't Dummy.  I heard Cuban Skies might be (which would explain Cuban Skies not being on the list)

Okay. I don't have any interest in what "insiders" say. I'd rather go with official sources.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Okay. I don't have any interest in what "insiders" say. I'd rather go with official sources.

Fair enough, and although I find them interesting at times, I'm not trying to legitimize anyone.

I just find it telling that 3 people with a 'reputation' to uphold seem to categorically state that SOG is The General.

11 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

What I've been thinking since the first time I heard State Of Grace is that the melody for the "oh my love" part sounds very similar to the orchestral bit from The General used as a show intro around 2010.

We also know that The General was brought to the table by Brain after the village sessions. 

Educated guess: that bit of State Of Grace might have been reworked to fit the song brought by Brain (ie The General).

Well, I hope this is not the case, because I really like State of Grace and I doubt the General is a better song than that (for my taste, at least).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Yes, and with Axl's habit of changing titles so often, it's a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, I hope this is not the case, because I really like State of Grace and I doubt the General is a better song than that (for my taste, at least).

I like State of Grace too.

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I absolutely agree, as State Of Grace is one of my favorite leaks. But do you hear the similarities in that specific part as well or is it just me?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Twinaleblood said:

I absolutely agree, as State Of Grace is one of my favorite leaks. But do you hear the similarities in that specific part as well or is it just me?

I can't say now, because I've heard that intro only once and it's been a while.

Which shows the intro was played at?

6 hours ago, Pele said:

Fair enough, and although I find them interesting at times, I'm not trying to legitimize anyone.

I just find it telling that 3 people with a 'reputation' to uphold seem to categorically state that SOG is The General.

All I can say is that the Vienna aftershow recording sounds nothing like SOG and everything like the intros to shows in the early 2000’s. Add to this the fact that GnR Twitter (or Axl? Can’t remember) once said that we’d heard parts of The General somewhere, presumably the show intros 

7 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

I just listened to The General instrumental/intro and State of Grace back to back. I'm not sure i hear any striking similarities.

State of Grace and The General are harmonically two totally different keys - State of Grace is in F# and the orchestral clip is in D minor, the cell phone clip having (barely audible) parts in E minor during the guitar solo

As of right now there is no evidence melodically to suggest State of Grace = The General based on what we have available to us, there are no major similarities.  I don't put any faith in what any self-proclaimed "insiders" claim either way - the way I see it speculation is pointless cause either it will come out and we will hear The General to be able to compare it to SOG, or it won't come out so it won't matter anyways lol

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pele said:

I believe you are wrong, no insider claimed this list or Perhaps as a title 10 years ago. But I think what you/the insider is reffering to is a mail correspondence that leaked (to MSL!?) including these songs and the mail was dated around 2011 - but wasnt known (to public) before around the Village leaks

4 hours ago, betterman said:

Somebody (trustworthy) has claimed to have heard Cuban skies in the chats here before and had a description of it

I only remember the story of that guy on the stevehoffman forum about hearing Cuban Skies when he met Axl, not sure if you're referring to the same person.

Anyway, after the village leaks there was this "rumor" about Dummy being Cuban Skies. No idea how legit it is, but Dummy is possibly my fave instrumental (but Me & My Elvis and the little Thyme bit are almost there as well) and I really hope they turned it into a full song. I've been trying to imagine what kind of vocals could go on it and I have really no idea, so I'm really curious about a finished version.

28 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I only remember the story of that guy on the stevehoffman forum about hearing Cuban Skies when he met Axl, not sure if you're referring to the same person.

Anyway, after the village leaks there was this "rumor" about Dummy being Cuban Skies. No idea how legit it is, but Dummy is possibly my fave instrumental (but Me & My Elvis and the little Thyme bit are almost there as well) and I really hope they turned it into a full song. I've been trying to imagine what kind of vocals could go on it and I have really no idea, so I'm really curious about a finished version.

dummy and me and my elvis are great, i also like mustache

9 hours ago, betterman said:

I believe you are wrong, no insider claimed this list or Perhaps as a title 10 years ago. But I think what you/the insider is reffering to is a mail correspondence that leaked (to MSL!?) including these songs and the mail was dated around 2011 - but wasnt known (to public) before around the Village leaks

The document is dated Jan 08 and was leaked in 2011.

The list referenced songs that were going to be on CD2, and it was basically the list I've been predicting plus Tonto, Perhaps and Going Down.

Tonto and Perhaps weren't mentioned prior to this - or since, until the Village Sessions leak.

Edited by Pele

On 8/8/2021 at 2:04 PM, adamsapple said:

What Axl says is one thing, what he does is another. He talks more about new songs than actually releasing them. Three albums my ass, they had to put garbage like Scraped and Riad on CD to fill it.

Don't get me wrong - I'd be happy if he had any material to put out, but don't you think he'd have at least some of it out by now? I mean it's been 13 years since CD, the guy is 60 years old and his fans ain't getting any younger either.

It's not unusual for artists to amass a ton of material and it not seeing the light of day until after they're dead.

So, while I agree Axl doesn't put out as much material as he can or should, it doesn't at all imply they have no material to put out. 

It's a simplistic way of thinking really, just because I never see my neighbor opening his garage doors, doesn't mean he or she doesn't have cars in there. 

19 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It's not unusual for artists to amass a ton of material and it not seeing the light of day until after they're dead.

So, while I agree Axl doesn't put out as much material as he can or should, it doesn't at all imply they have no material to put out. 

It's a simplistic way of thinking really, just because I never see my neighbor opening his garage doors, doesn't mean he or she doesn't have cars in there. 

I think it's fair and reasonable to be of the opinion there is virtually nothing other than what we've heard.

I'm going to assume (without any proof) that Cuban Skies and Seven are instrumentals under alternate names on the Village Sessions.  That would mean it's only 'The General' that is unaccounted for (and according to MSL/WFA that is a reworked State of Grace).

I'm also going to assume that if we see another song, it will be Hard Skool with 99 vocals, and whatever else we may get will only include stuff we've already heard from the demos.

10 minutes ago, Pele said:

I think it's fair and reasonable to be of the opinion there is virtually nothing other than what we've heard.

I'm going to assume (without any proof) that Cuban Skies and Seven are instrumentals under alternate names on the Village Sessions.  That would mean it's only 'The General' that is unaccounted for (and according to MSL/WFA that is a reworked State of Grace).

I'm also going to assume that if we see another song, it will be Hard Skool with 99 vocals, and whatever else we may get will only include stuff we've already heard from the demos.

I mean no disrespect, but you are making far too many assumptions, but we all do, so I get that.

For starters, you are assuming what leaked from the Village sessions is what all exists of the Village sessions.  We know there's more based on the names of the songs on some of those discs. Some of those CDs are samples of songs taken from other discs, suggesting there are piles of more CDs/material. For all we know, there are dozens or hundreds of more CDs with various mixes and different songs. Sure, for every dozen or more CDs, there's probably a gem for each group, an Oklahoma with vocals here, Zodiac 13 with vocals there, State Of Grace type unfinished songs with scratch vocals, etc. and I'm certain more instrumentals and I know many additional mixes of songs we have tons of mixes of already like Maddy, The Blues, CD, etc. 

Just because you have not heard something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the holy GN'R vault. Not everything leaks. Hearing is only confirmation. To most people, State Of Grace, Nothing, Perhaps, etc. didn't even exist prior to the 2019 leaks. Who knows how many other songs are out there from those sessions, up until recorded for CD2 ended around 2007-2014, and there's finished songs we have on the 2008 album that were not part of the Village leaks, and you can bet there's more we don't know about, or only heard names of. We are simply not privy to that knowledge, or access to the vault. 

We have had countless interviews with band-members saying there's a shitload of material.  Sure, some are probably instrumentals but there's a lot with vocals too. 

Don't be surprised if another Village sized leak occurs from material that was recorded or built upon after that time period, wouldn't that be cool? One can dream...

I really do believe the last best moment of creative output from this band was from the Robin/Bucket era. 

In short, I realize seeing (or hearing) is believing, but assuming something doesn't exist because you have never heard it, is a logical fallacy of the century. 

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

26 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I mean no disrespect, but you are making far too many assumptions, but we all do, so I get that.

For starters, you are assuming what leaked from the Village sessions is what all exists of the Village sessions.  We know there's more based on the names of the songs on some of those discs. Some of those CDs are samples of songs taken from other discs, suggesting there are piles of more CDs/material. For all we know, there are dozens or hundreds of more CDs with various mixes and different songs. Sure, for every dozen or more CDs, there's probably a gem for each group, an Oklahoma with vocals here, Zodiac 13 with vocals there, State Of Grace type unfinished songs with scratch vocals, etc. and I'm certain more instrumentals and I know many additional mixes of songs we have tons of mixes of already like Maddy, The Blues, CD, etc. 

Just because you have not heard something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the holy GN'R vault. Not everything leaks. Hearing is only confirmation. To most people, State Of Grace, Nothing, Perhaps, etc. didn't even exist prior to the 2019 leaks. Who knows how many other songs are out there from those sessions, up until recorded for CD2 ended around 2007-2014, and there's finished songs we have on the 2008 album that were not part of the Village leaks, and you can bet there's more we don't know about, or only heard names of. We are simply not privy to that knowledge, or access to the vault. 

We have had countless interviews with band-members saying there's a shitload of material.  Sure, some are probably instrumentals but there's a lot with vocals too. 

Don't be surprised if another Village sized leak occurs from material that was recorded or built upon after that time period, wouldn't that be cool? One can dream...

I really do believe the last best moment of creative output from this band was from the Robin/Bucket era. 

In short, I realize seeing (or hearing) is believing, but assuming something doesn't exist because you have never heard it, is a logical fallacy of the century. 

No disrespect taken!  It's all assumptions.

I don't think it'a a coincidence that despite people thinking there may be hundreds of additional disks, the new single has a vocal taken from the disks we've heard.

And I'm pretty certain that despite people thinking there may be hundreds more songs, the next single after Silkworms will have a vocal taken from the disks we've heard.

I hope I'm wrong obviously.