The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

15 hours ago, Wabby said:

Wasn’t the only instrumental that had No Vocals beside it on the Village Discs Zodiac? The rest of them just said Instrumental right? Makes me think there is a version of Zodiac out there with Vocals

Oklahoma, too.

Edit: My bad, Oklahoma didn't have "no vox". Yes, just Zodiac.

13 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Do we know when Axl called Slash?  This isn't referring to the 2015ish phone call to Slash's mom to get the ball rolling on the NITL era?

I remember reading in a few places that Slash drove to Axl's home around 2006 and yelled outside at the gate that he needed to talk to Axl or something to that extent

Axl called Slash in March 2015 (not Slash's mom, of course, who passed away in 2009).

Slash visited Axl's house in October 2005 and talked to Beta.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Oklahoma, too.

Axl called Slash in March 2015 (not Slash's mom, of course, who passed away in 2009).

Slash visited Axl's house in October 2005 and talked to Beta.

I really wish with all my heart the reunion would’ve happened at that time.

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I really wish with all my heart the reunion would’ve happened at that time.

And it seems that it came close to happen then - although it wasn't intended as a long term thing, but rather as a one-off or for a handful of shows, probably as part of the lawsuits settlements. But something went wrong with the negotiations between the camps, so it never happened.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

And it seems that it came close to happen then - although it wasn't intended as a long term thing, but rather as a one-off or for a handful of shows, probably as part of the lawsuits settlements. But something went wrong with the negotiations between the camps, so it never happened.

Never heard anything about it. I know this isn’t exactly the subject but I would love to know more!

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Just can't wait for KOHD on the album that apparently doesnt exist.

Apparently they've used Steven's drum track from a 1980s live recording with Axl's vocals and Dizzy's piano from the 1999 AFD re-record. Slash, Duff, Melissa and RIchard all recorded new parts just last week. Frank added some additional percussion back in 2006. And that's genuinely how some GNR fans seem to think albums are recorded! :)

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Apparently they've used Steven's drum track from a 1980s live recording with Axl's vocals and Dizzy's piano from the 1999 AFD re-record. Slash, Duff, Melissa and RIchard all recorded new parts just last week. Frank added some additional percussion back in 2006. And that's genuinely how some GNR fans seem to think albums are recorded! :)

How can you forget Pitmans Sub-Bass from 1998

Edited by Sosso
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sosso said:

How can you forget Pitmans Sub-Bass from 1998

It genuinely bamboozles me that instead of just using the subbass plugin on ProTools like most other recording artists would do, GNR actually had somebody record specific subbass parts. It's not like you can bloody hear it! Possibly sums up all that was wrong with that band to be honest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Frankestein mix :D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

They used Josh's drum take from 99.

This is how GNR record now.  Don't you understand this?

Do you actually think they are going to go into a studio and lay a bunch of songs down from scratch and Axl is going to sing new stuff?

You'll see when Hardskool 99 with Slash solo patched over comes next.

Based on the HS soundcheck clip, the new arrangement is quite different (although the structure is similar). So I would guess this must have been re-recorded, except for the vocals, probably. I don't know if old drum tracks could be manipulated in the studio to fit the new arrangement.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pele said:

They used Josh's drum take from 99.

This is how GNR record now.  Don't you understand this?

Do you actually think they are going to go into a studio and lay a bunch of songs down from scratch and Axl is going to sing new stuff?

You'll see when Hardskool 99 with Slash solo patched over comes next.

I interpret the 19AT5 post as a sarcasm.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Based on the HS soundcheck clip, the new arrangement is quite different (although the structure is similar). So I would guess this must have been re-recorded, except for the vocals, probably. I don't know if old drum tracks could be manipulated in the studio to fit the new arrangement.

Brain’s drums might sound quite different to Josh’s depending on how much the song changed from 2000 to 2006.

That being said, I hope Frank doesn’t get shafted again with HS.

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Brain’s drums might sound quite different to Josh’s depending on how much the song changed from 2000 to 2006.

That being said, I hope Frank doesn’t get shafted again with HS.

Yeah, it's likely that it changed after 2000, although the new arrangement doesn't sound like something Bumblefoot, for example would come up with. But then again, who knows.

Are we sure that it's Josh Freese and not Brain in the Village discs version?

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, it's likely that it changed after 2000, although the new arrangement doesn't sound like something Bumblefoot, for example would come up with. But then again, who knows.

Are we sure that it's Josh Freese and not Brain in the Village discs version?

I’m no expert on drums, but comparing Josh’s drumming to Brain’s on songs like CD, The Blues, and Riad, Josh tends to use more cymbals in his playing and Brain’s snare always hits a lot harder. The snare sound isn’t a result of the producer, as Josh’s drums sound pretty much the same on the Beavan and RTB mixes before Brain was added. (RM 6/1/01)

Although it isn’t explicitly stated, the drum sound on Hardschool is much more consistent with the other songs on RM1 (played by Josh) than the later RTB mixes with Brain.

I know Brain said that he was drumming on the Checkmate leak, but I think he just didn’t listen closely enough to realize that it was Josh’s old take instead.

And I agree that the new bridge doesn’t sound like something one of the old guitarists would’ve come up with. The new version of the song has Slash written all over it imo

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The whole Frankenstein thing makes an album from one of the greatest bands of all time sound so unappealing.. Absurd was terrible.. Hardschool sounds like it will be too.. As flawed as this lineup is, let them record the parts if they really need to regurgitate leftover NuGnR songs. As shot as Axl's voice is, re-record the parts in a way that works.. Let Slash re-work the stuff instead of just re-recording parts his replacmenets wrote.. Like Absurd.. It could have been a little better if they re-did the slow part and let Slash have his way with it instead of that 20 year old outdated sounding industrial stuff.. 

Even doing all that still doesn't make the album very exciting for me personally. I assume most others that weren't a fan of the way NuGnR sounded as well.  It is fine for a couple songs but I would hope not the majority of the album. It is one thing parts and melodies Axl came up with but music and riffs that other people wrote sounds awful. 

• Like 1