Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?


Recommended Posts

The idea that a new album would only contain Axl vocals recorded in 1999 seems incredibly flawed to me. There are many quotes in the following years suggesting that Axl has in fact recorded vocals since then.

Quote

"When asked about GN'R's plans, Richard said 'Yeah, we're starting up again in May.' To the question regarding the Chinese Democracy album and whether it will come out or not, he said 'Yeah, Axl is finishing it up now, doing vocals - overdubs. It's great.'" (Dust N' Bones, 03/20/03)

Quote

"Axl is still finishing up vocals on the record and I've heard rumours that it will be released before the end of the year." (Fortus, 06/23/05)

Quote

"Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose is putting the final vocals down on a new album that he has been working on at the Palms recording studios." (Reviewjournal.com, 01/07/07)

Quote

"There's so much stuff that's recorded, there's so much stuff that was done. I mean, there's three albums' worth of material, easy…

"I know this week he's [GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose] recording a lot of stuff, vocally." (Fortus, 11/20/2014)

And just using common sense, Better had no vocals in 2001 and Shackler's Revenge was very much in an embryonic stage in 2000. Go compare the Antiquiet leaks to the final album; CD, SoD, TWAT, and Riad all had vocal overdubs done.

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, LlamaRenegade said:

The idea that a new album would only contain Axl vocals recorded in 1999 seems incredibly flawed to me. There are many quotes in the following years suggesting that Axl has in fact recorded vocals since then.

And just using common since, Better had no vocals in 2001 and Shackler's Revenge was very much in an embryonic stage in 2000. Go compare the Antiquiet leaks to the final album; CD, SoD, and Riad all had vocal overdubs done.

Man all these Fortus quotes are depressing lol 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Wabby said:

Wasn’t the only instrumental that had No Vocals beside it on the Village Discs Zodiac? The rest of them just said Instrumental right? Makes me think there is a version of Zodiac out there with Vocals

Oklahoma, too.

Edit: My bad, Oklahoma didn't have "no vox". Yes, just Zodiac.

13 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Do we know when Axl called Slash?  This isn't referring to the 2015ish phone call to Slash's mom to get the ball rolling on the NITL era?

I remember reading in a few places that Slash drove to Axl's home around 2006 and yelled outside at the gate that he needed to talk to Axl or something to that extent

Axl called Slash in March 2015 (not Slash's mom, of course, who passed away in 2009).

Slash visited Axl's house in October 2005 and talked to Beta.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Oklahoma, too.

Axl called Slash in March 2015 (not Slash's mom, of course, who passed away in 2009).

Slash visited Axl's house in October 2005 and talked to Beta.

I really wish with all my heart the reunion would’ve happened at that time.

  • Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I really wish with all my heart the reunion would’ve happened at that time.

And it seems that it came close to happen then - although it wasn't intended as a long term thing, but rather as a one-off or for a handful of shows, probably as part of the lawsuits settlements. But something went wrong with the negotiations between the camps, so it never happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

And it seems that it came close to happen then - although it wasn't intended as a long term thing, but rather as a one-off or for a handful of shows, probably as part of the lawsuits settlements. But something went wrong with the negotiations between the camps, so it never happened.

Never heard anything about it. I know this isn’t exactly the subject but I would love to know more!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Just can't wait for KOHD on the album that apparently doesnt exist.

Apparently they've used Steven's drum track from a 1980s live recording with Axl's vocals and Dizzy's piano from the 1999 AFD re-record. Slash, Duff, Melissa and RIchard all recorded new parts just last week. Frank added some additional percussion back in 2006. And that's genuinely how some GNR fans seem to think albums are recorded! :)

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Apparently they've used Steven's drum track from a 1980s live recording with Axl's vocals and Dizzy's piano from the 1999 AFD re-record. Slash, Duff, Melissa and RIchard all recorded new parts just last week. Frank added some additional percussion back in 2006. And that's genuinely how some GNR fans seem to think albums are recorded! :)

How can you forget Pitmans Sub-Bass from 1998

Edited by Sosso
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sosso said:

How can you forget Pitmans Sub-Bass from 1998

It genuinely bamboozles me that instead of just using the subbass plugin on ProTools like most other recording artists would do, GNR actually had somebody record specific subbass parts. It's not like you can bloody hear it! Possibly sums up all that was wrong with that band to be honest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Apparently they've used Steven's drum track from a 1980s live recording with Axl's vocals and Dizzy's piano from the 1999 AFD re-record. Slash, Duff, Melissa and RIchard all recorded new parts just last week. Frank added some additional percussion back in 2006. And that's genuinely how some GNR fans seem to think albums are recorded! :)

Frankestein mix :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Just can't wait for KOHD on the album that apparently doesnt exist.

Why wait.  You can hear Axl's finished contributions on the village sessions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Apparently they've used Steven's drum track from a 1980s live recording with Axl's vocals and Dizzy's piano from the 1999 AFD re-record. Slash, Duff, Melissa and RIchard all recorded new parts just last week. Frank added some additional percussion back in 2006. And that's genuinely how some GNR fans seem to think albums are recorded! :)

They used Josh's drum take from 99.

This is how GNR record now.  Don't you understand this?

Do you actually think they are going to go into a studio and lay a bunch of songs down from scratch and Axl is going to sing new stuff?

You'll see when Hardskool 99 with Slash solo patched over comes next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on the HS soundcheck clip, the new arrangement is quite different (although the structure is similar). So I would guess this must have been re-recorded, except for the vocals, probably. I don't know if old drum tracks could be manipulated in the studio to fit the new arrangement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Frankenstein or Frankenstein's Monster wouldn't be a bad name for a new GN'R record.

GN'R with many member's go and in seem Frankestein's experiment's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Pele said:

They used Josh's drum take from 99.

This is how GNR record now.  Don't you understand this?

Do you actually think they are going to go into a studio and lay a bunch of songs down from scratch and Axl is going to sing new stuff?

You'll see when Hardskool 99 with Slash solo patched over comes next.

I interpret the 19AT5 post as a sarcasm.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Based on the HS soundcheck clip, the new arrangement is quite different (although the structure is similar). So I would guess this must have been re-recorded, except for the vocals, probably. I don't know if old drum tracks could be manipulated in the studio to fit the new arrangement.

Brain’s drums might sound quite different to Josh’s depending on how much the song changed from 2000 to 2006.

That being said, I hope Frank doesn’t get shafted again with HS.

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • janrichmond changed the title to The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?
  • alfierose pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...