The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Of the songs with vocals from the Village leaks, the one I'd like to hear a finished version of  with Slash and Duff the most is State of Grace. Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps would be nice, too. (I don't count Hardschool, since, as it seems, it's a given that we'll eventually hear it sooner or later)

Of the instrumentals, the ones that stood out for me are Oklahoma, Quicksong and As It Began. Oklahoma is a very interesting tune. I'm also intrigued about its history. As It Began sounds like a nice Axl piano ballad. Quicksong has kind of a more old school vibe and I like that, and Axl's placeholder vocals give a pretty good idea of where it was going as a completed song. The only problem with it is the Teen Spirit riff, which is too obvious - I hope this part changes if they're going to release it.

I wasn't too impressed by any of the other instrumentals. I guess some like Me and My Elvis/Soulmonster can be good ones, but I can't tell until (if) I hear them with vocals.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

YES! I actually have one of Bucket's solos as my ring tone on my phone and misses too many calls because it is just so awesome. 

I liked listening to the alt Buckethead solos, but just like with Atlas, it's basically a good guitar solo supporting an otherwise mediocre song. Like Blackstar said, the Teen Spirit riff in Quicksong is too obvious.

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

That is the hope, but there is more than enough not to bog the record down with lame covers.

1. Hard Skool

2. Atlas Shrugged

3. Oklahoma

4. Tonto

5. Perhaps

6. Absurd

7. State of Grace

8. Quicksong

9. Soul Monster

10. Zodiac

11. The General

Throw in 1-2 Slash penned songs or abandoned 90s sessions tunes and we have one bitchin' record. That would be their heaviest album

Chinese Democracy 2 starts now

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I liked listening to the alt Buckethead solos, but just like with Atlas, it's basically a good guitar solo supporting an otherwise mediocre song. Like Blackstar said, the Teen Spirit riff in Quicksong is too obvious.

It was too obvious in the beginning but now it has become part of the song. When I hear Teen Spirit on the radio I go, "Pfff, what a rip-off." 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It was too obvious in the beginning but now it has become part of the song. When I hear Teen Spirit on the radio I go, "Pfff, what a rip-off." 

Axl listening to Teen Spirit for the millionth time: "you know, once we get that drum sound down, we should do something with that riff too..." :lol:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do some of you guys really want Quicksong on a new album? Or is it just because it was probably one of the 'finished' CD2 songs?

Of all the instrumentals we heard from the Village discs... Quicksong? It's a fairly bland, Smells Like Teen Spirit wannabe rocker. It would've been fine for nuGNR to release alongside 2-3 albums worth of material but it'd be a waste for Slash and Duff to spend time on that song IMO... although I'd say the same thing about Absurd, but at least Absurd is kinda 'outside the comfort zone' for Slash...

From the village discs, I'd hope Slash and Duff have worked on at least some of these: Oklahoma, Soul Monster, Dummy, Circus Maximus, Devious Bastard, Mustache...

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Of the songs with vocals from the Village leaks, the one I'd like to hear a finished version of  with Slash and Duff the most is State of Grace. Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps would be nice, too. (I don't count Hardschool, since, as it seems, it's a given that we'll eventually hear it sooner or later)

Of the instrumentals, the ones that stood out for me are Oklahoma, Quicksong and As It Began. Oklahoma is a very interesting tune. I'm also intrigued about its history. As It Began sounds like a nice Axl piano ballad. Quicksong has kind of a more old school vibe and I like that, and Axl's placeholder vocals give a pretty good idea of where it was going as a completed song. The only problem with it is the Teen Spirit riff, which is too obvious - I hope this part changes if they're going to release it.

I wasn't too impressed by any of the other instrumentals. I guess some like Me and My Elvis/Soulmonster can be good ones, but I can't tell until (if) I hear them with vocals.

Add in Zodiac and you have a deal. I REALLY like Zodiac…🤣. It’s by far and away the best instrumental for me….I’d be well gutted if we never hear it with vocals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Add in Zodiac and you have a deal. I REALLY like Zodiac…🤣. It’s by far and away the best instrumental for me….I’d be well gutted if we never hear it with vocals.

Yeah, I see that there's a lot of love for Zodiac, but, as is, it's not my thing - I guess because, like a lot of the other instrumentals, it's reminiscent of late 90s-early 00s mainstream rock, which a have a strong dislike for.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I see that there's a lot of love for Zodiac, but, as is, it's not my thing - I guess because, like a lot of the other instrumentals, it's reminiscent of late 90s-early 00s mainstream rock, which a have a strong dislike for.

Meaning it sounds dated?

2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Meaning it sounds dated?

No, not so much that. I wouldn't mind it sounding a bit "dated" if I liked that sound. It's just that I'm not fond of that "industrial metal" sound - or whatever it was - that was the trend at that time.

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

7 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Meaning it sounds dated?

I get what Blackstar means - it’s likely Sean Bevan was involved at this time and he produced Marilyn Mansons Mechanical Animals in 1998….this sounds like it could be right from that album.

I wonder who came up with the riff - proper sleazy?

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I get what Blackstar means - it’s likely Sean Bevan was involved at this time and he produced Marilyn Mansons Mechanical Animals in 1998….this sounds like it could be right from that album.

I wonder who came up with the riff - proper sleazy?

Yeah... I really like State of Grace, though, which is kind of industrial influenced, so there's that. It's probably Axl's vocals on that one that do it for me.

I also like Beavan's production on the CD title track - much better compared to other versions.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah... I really like State of Grace, though, which is kind of industrial influenced, so there's that. It's probably Axl's vocals on that one that do it for me.

I also like Beavan's production on the CD title track - much better compared to other versions.

I would have loved a Beavan double-album, with Bucket and Robin.

33 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm pretty sure it's a Robin song. A lot of people seem to think it's Bucket because it sounds sort of electronic, but it really sounds more like Robin to me.

Yeah - I had a suspicion I might be Robin.

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah - it’s definitely a case of ‘what if’ in that we could have got a Beavan produced album so much earlier in Han what we got in 2008.

35 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I would have loved a Beavan double-album, with Bucket and Robin.

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - I had a suspicion I might be Robin.

Yeah - it’s definitely a case of ‘what if’ in that we could have got a Beavan produced album so much earlier in Han what we got in 2008.

It seems that Axl and Beavan had clicked, and Axl probably would have liked to continue working with him. But, on one hand Beavan (like everybody else) started getting tired of the project taking long, and on the other the label wasn't happy with him because he wasn't pushing Axl enough to finish it, so they thought an older and more authority figure type of producer like Roy Thomas Baker would be more suitable (and then, ironically, R.T. Baker got the band to re-record everything).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

It seems that Axl and Beavan had clicked, and Axl probably would have liked to continue working with him. But, on one hand Beavan (like everybody else) started getting tired of the project taking long, and on the other the label wasn't happy with him because he wasn't pushing Axl enough to finish it, so they thought an older and more authority figure type of producer like Roy Thomas Baker would be more suitable (and then, ironically, R.T. Baker got the band to re-record everything).

Oh totally….if I remember correctly Stinson wasn’t a fan of RTB 🤣

• Like 1

Yo lads. I have been totally out of the Forum life for ages

I hope a new album comes, will not be obsessed about It like I was with CD - annoying years.

Been also totally out of the leaks so I am lost on what you are talking about:)

But Silkworms?! Absurd. That of all the songs he has: ”on the keyboards Mr Chris Pitman - he wrote this one” - Axl Rose 2001

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm pretty sure it's a Robin song. A lot of people seem to think it's Bucket because it sounds sort of electronic, but it really sounds more like Robin to me.

Agree, it's Robin all over it, reminds me a bit of his work on the NIN's album The Slip (even though Robin only recorded it his parts). So I'm not sure if he wrote it alone. Tommy's bass is very heavy on this one. 

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's weird if you think they already had an album back in 2000. I'm not Pele, but his vocals were pretty much done by that moment and were reused for the 2008 release. Seems to me there were not many things left for Axl to record. The fact that he could actually release a full album with at least 10 tracks since 2000 blows my mind.

For the instrumental, that wasn't really the case. RTB went for a very different approach, maybe because he had such a powerhouse like Buckethead. They got rid of the more indistinguishable heavy guitar layers from Beavan - like IRS, Chinese and TWAT. The 2006 IRS, Better and TWAT demo were really straight forward, at least. Then again, after Axl and Caram assumed the project, it went for the more overproduced sound anyways. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Agree, it's Robin all over it, reminds me a bit of his work on the NIN's album The Slip (even though Robin only recorded it his parts). So I'm not sure if he wrote it alone. Tommy's bass is very heavy on this one. 

It's weird if you think they already had an album back in 2000. I'm not Pele, but his vocals were pretty much done by that moment and were reused for the 2008 release. Seems to me there were not many things left for Axl to record. The fact that he could actually release a full album with at least 10 tracks since 2000 blows my mind.

For the instrumental, that wasn't really the case. RTB went for a very different approach, maybe because he had such a powerhouse like Buckethead. They got rid of the more indistinguishable heavy guitar layers from Beavan - like IRS, Chinese and TWAT. The 2006 IRS, Better and TWAT demo were really straight forward, at least. Then again, after Axl and Caram assumed the project, it went for the more overproduced sound anyways. 

That bass line is pure filth, I love it!

Just listening through to the songs with semi finished vocals and State of Grace and Perhaps are probably the only 2 songs that I'd keep around. Curious to hear the final version of Hardschool but if it has that momentum killer midsection still, the song is wasted.

45 minutes ago, Teroz said:

Yo lads. I have been totally out of the Forum life for ages

I hope a new album comes, will not be obsessed about It like I was with CD - annoying years.

Been also totally out of the leaks so I am lost on what you are talking about:)

But Silkworms?! Absurd. That of all the songs he has: ”on the keyboards Mr Chris Pitman - he wrote this one” - Axl Rose 2001

Hilarious for so many reasons. With Pitman suing Axl a few years ago, that should have shelved this song for good, but apparently Axl REALLY likes this song🤣

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do some of you guys really want Quicksong on a new album? Or is it just because it was probably one of the 'finished' CD2 songs?

Of all the instrumentals we heard from the Village discs... Quicksong? It's a fairly bland, Smells Like Teen Spirit wannabe rocker. It would've been fine for nuGNR to release alongside 2-3 albums worth of material but it'd be a waste for Slash and Duff to spend time on that song IMO... although I'd say the same thing about Absurd, but at least Absurd is kinda 'outside the comfort zone' for Slash...

From the village discs, I'd hope Slash and Duff have worked on at least some of these: Oklahoma, Soul Monster, Dummy, Circus Maximus, Devious Bastard, Mustache...

Mustache has that Slash feel to it.

• GNFNR 1