The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?

11 minutes ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Brain’s drums might sound quite different to Josh’s depending on how much the song changed from 2000 to 2006.

That being said, I hope Frank doesn’t get shafted again with HS.

Yeah, it's likely that it changed after 2000, although the new arrangement doesn't sound like something Bumblefoot, for example would come up with. But then again, who knows.

Are we sure that it's Josh Freese and not Brain in the Village discs version?

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, it's likely that it changed after 2000, although the new arrangement doesn't sound like something Bumblefoot, for example would come up with. But then again, who knows.

Are we sure that it's Josh Freese and not Brain in the Village discs version?

I’m no expert on drums, but comparing Josh’s drumming to Brain’s on songs like CD, The Blues, and Riad, Josh tends to use more cymbals in his playing and Brain’s snare always hits a lot harder. The snare sound isn’t a result of the producer, as Josh’s drums sound pretty much the same on the Beavan and RTB mixes before Brain was added. (RM 6/1/01)

Although it isn’t explicitly stated, the drum sound on Hardschool is much more consistent with the other songs on RM1 (played by Josh) than the later RTB mixes with Brain.

I know Brain said that he was drumming on the Checkmate leak, but I think he just didn’t listen closely enough to realize that it was Josh’s old take instead.

And I agree that the new bridge doesn’t sound like something one of the old guitarists would’ve come up with. The new version of the song has Slash written all over it imo

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The whole Frankenstein thing makes an album from one of the greatest bands of all time sound so unappealing.. Absurd was terrible.. Hardschool sounds like it will be too.. As flawed as this lineup is, let them record the parts if they really need to regurgitate leftover NuGnR songs. As shot as Axl's voice is, re-record the parts in a way that works.. Let Slash re-work the stuff instead of just re-recording parts his replacmenets wrote.. Like Absurd.. It could have been a little better if they re-did the slow part and let Slash have his way with it instead of that 20 year old outdated sounding industrial stuff.. 

Even doing all that still doesn't make the album very exciting for me personally. I assume most others that weren't a fan of the way NuGnR sounded as well.  It is fine for a couple songs but I would hope not the majority of the album. It is one thing parts and melodies Axl came up with but music and riffs that other people wrote sounds awful. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well the arrangement has been reworked and Slash isn't playing the exact same thing as what's on the demo.

Sorry for the 20 questions but when you say teh arrangemnt was reworked does that mean their was different new music/riffs/melodies added or just moved around parts and adjusted measures of the previous demo?

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Sorry for the 20 questions but when you say teh arrangemnt was reworked does that mean their was different new music/riffs/melodies added or just moved around parts and adjusted measures of the previous demo?

The intro is a little bit different and where that long middle part is it sounds like they've done something new. Look up the soundcheck video and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The intro is pretty much reworked, kind of reminiscent of It's So Easy, straight to the point stuff. There's also a short solo between the first verses, plus a totally new and reworked bridge, with a slide solo. The outro is slightly reworked I think

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, goldentobacco said:

The intro is pretty much reworked, kind of reminiscent of It's So Easy, straight to the point stuff. There's also a short solo between the first verses, plus a totally new and reworked bridge, with a slide solo. The outro is slightly reworked I think

Yeah the outro sounds different.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, goldentobacco said:

We don't know exactly if that's the intro, we still didnt get a complete recording. It may still have something from the original longer intro before Duff's bass (which kinda reminds me a lot more of VR actually)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

We don't know exactly if that's the intro, we still didnt get a complete recording. It may still have something from the original longer intro before Duff's bass (which kinda reminds me a lot more of VR actually)

Yeah, just based off of the Mexico 2020 soundcheck, and the latest clip, it just seems as if it's shorter and goes pretty much straight to hard rock territory. 

But we'll find out when they debut it tonight! :takethat:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

The intro is a little bit different and where that long middle part is it sounds like they've done something new. Look up the soundcheck video and you'll see what I mean.

I did watch one of the soundchecks last week but I never had any interest in hearing more than a few seconds of the original so I wouldn't know.. I literally have zero interest in any of the CD leaks or whatever

Edited by Tom-Ass

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I did watch one of the soundchecks last week but I never had any interest in hearing more than a few seconds of the original so I wouldn't know.. I literally have zero interest in any of the CD leaks or whatever

It's probably better to not listen to the leaks anyway so you haven't heard half of or even the entire album when it comes out. I caved in and listened to some and I kinda regret it to be honest. But State of Grace is as badass as any old GNR song ever.

Also just in general, does anyone find it odd that they STILL cover VR and have Slither in the setlist? It's been in there constantly for like 3 years now. I'm starting to think it's possible it may end up on a new GNR album.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Also just in general, does anyone find it odd that they STILL cover VR and have Slither in the setlist? It's been in there constantly for like 3 years now. I'm starting to think it's possible it may end up on a new GNR album.

Idk about that but I like that they're still playing it. Looking forward to hearing it at my show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

They call me the seeker!  I've been searching low and hiiiiiiigh.

I won't get to get what I'm after, until the day I die!

I definitely manifested The Seeker back into the set today.  Gotta post some hard school lyrics the day of the next show lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Izzy squire said:

It's definitely Down on the Street by The Stooges, the music is the same and you can just make out the lyrics. I think @Blackstarmentioned it in another thread.

Hopefully they alternate it with I Wanna Be Your Dog in the future

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Pele said:

They used Josh's drum take from 99.

This is how GNR record now.  Don't you understand this?

Do you actually think they are going to go into a studio and lay a bunch of songs down from scratch and Axl is going to sing new stuff?

You'll see when Hardskool 99 with Slash solo patched over comes next.

Sorry I didn't realise you were in the studio with the guys when they were laying down overdubs. If you could maybe get a message to them that Pitman's 2001 subbass recordings are much better than Pitman's 2002 subbass recordings. So they should definitely use the former on any new recordings. Also, it might be worth suggesting using some of Zig Zag's sterling tambourine work from the Illusions tour and patching that onto a song as well. Does anybody know if Tracii Guns did any studio work with GNR?

NOTE: the above post is sarcasm and should be consumed as such. Please avoid tying your knickers in a knot over any content supplied by me! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The whole Frankenstein thing makes an album from one of the greatest bands of all time sound so unappealing.. Absurd was terrible.. Hardschool sounds like it will be too.. As flawed as this lineup is, let them record the parts if they really need to regurgitate leftover NuGnR songs. As shot as Axl's voice is, re-record the parts in a way that works.. Let Slash re-work the stuff instead of just re-recording parts his replacmenets wrote.. Like Absurd.. It could have been a little better if they re-did the slow part and let Slash have his way with it instead of that 20 year old outdated sounding industrial stuff.. 

Even doing all that still doesn't make the album very exciting for me personally. I assume most others that weren't a fan of the way NuGnR sounded as well.  It is fine for a couple songs but I would hope not the majority of the album. It is one thing parts and melodies Axl came up with but music and riffs that other people wrote sounds awful. 

100% agree with this statement. There's a reason bands generally don't apply this approach and it is fairly obvious why!

• Like 1

• janrichmond changed the title to The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?
  • alfierose pinned this topic