The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

16 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Agree, it's Robin all over it, reminds me a bit of his work on the NIN's album The Slip (even though Robin only recorded it his parts). So I'm not sure if he wrote it alone. Tommy's bass is very heavy on this one. 

It's weird if you think they already had an album back in 2000. I'm not Pele, but his vocals were pretty much done by that moment and were reused for the 2008 release. Seems to me there were not many things left for Axl to record. The fact that he could actually release a full album with at least 10 tracks since 2000 blows my mind.

For the instrumental, that wasn't really the case. RTB went for a very different approach, maybe because he had such a powerhouse like Buckethead. They got rid of the more indistinguishable heavy guitar layers from Beavan - like IRS, Chinese and TWAT. The 2006 IRS, Better and TWAT demo were really straight forward, at least. Then again, after Axl and Caram assumed the project, it went for the more overproduced sound anyways. 

Yeah, I think it wasn't just Roy Thomas Baker, but Axl, too, who wanted to incorporate Buckethead more. And, of course, Axl had Brain re-record all Josh Freese's tracks note for note, which alone took about 9 months, according to Brain.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blackmore said:

DQht8pe.jpg

Was this comment from Beta already discussed here?

"Too bad that you felt disrespected. I guarantee you 100% that this wasn't the intention; but nevertheless, this song is part of the cd [disc/album]. Enjoy your day".

Yeah, it was, but for no apparent reason the title of this thread has not been updated nor has a new thread been made about this important album confirmation.

• Like 1

Now found a bulk of the "new" songs. To me on what I got the best ones:

1. Quick Song

2. No Love Remains

3. Atlas Shrugged

4. Hard School

5. Perhaps

6. State of Grace

7. Zodiac

8. Going Down

9. Nothing

10. Eye On You

(Then I don't know if I Declare is real or not, an instrumental but a cool tune)

Pretty decent album there, needs a good lead single thou.

The General I can't find, heard a snippet years back and that seemed strong.

23 minutes ago, Teroz said:

Now found a bulk of the "new" songs. To me on what I got the best ones:

1. Quick Song

2. No Love Remains

3. Atlas Shrugged

4. Hard School

5. Perhaps

6. State of Grace

7. Zodiac

8. Going Down

9. Nothing

10. Eye On You

(Then I don't know if I Declare is real or not, an instrumental but a cool tune)

Pretty decent album there, needs a good lead single thou.

The General I can't find, heard a snippet years back and that seemed strong.

Not heard this title in years.

There was a song with this name circulating on file sharing networks years back that had a grungy sort of feel but definitely wasn't GN'R.

7 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

Guys, to this date, the only versions of Zodiac are still the instrumental ones right? Or is it true that a version w/ vocals is out there? That song has to be in the new album, I was wondering if he is yet to do the vocals or if they are already recorded, and if so, was that leaked?

No vocals version has been leaked yet. Would love that track, dummy and tonto with vocals on the next album... They are rockers! 

• Thanks 1

Do you guys seriously want the new album to consist of just Axl’s NuGuns demos with Slash solos added? I would surely love to hear those “CD 2” songs one day, whether in the original version (preferably) or not, but I’m expecting a bit more from this huge comeback record. I don’t know, but this needs to feel like a real, fresh, original collaboration. I understand that songs in general principally originate in a single person’s mind and the rest sort of comes together. But it’s mostly created in a certain common time and place, in an environment of a single band, if you know what I mean. Not from ideas scattered decades (and lineups) apart. There needs to be harmony, authenticity, synergy… Hard to explain. 
I would definitely want some of those Axl’s songs like HS etc. to be there, but it shouldn’t exceed, say, half of the record. The rest should be new material plus maybe some unreleased tunes they made together in the golden era. And this could be repeated several times (ha!) so that we eventually get to hear all the drawer stuff, plus new songs. 
My 2 absurd cents. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm not with you at all. I want to hear good music. Period. Why would I care whether it's a song that was written 20 years ago, or partly recorded 20 years ago, or something that was written and recorded last year? If it's good, it's good, and that's all that matters to me.

I understand and me too, but I also want to know that it comes from a band, you know? From THE band. I know, it's not the original GNR any more etc. etc. But we've been through loads of personnel changes and uncertain periods and decades of Axl's solo endeavour. And now that they're basically back together, it needs to come off as a real BAND again, hence my desire that the music itself - albeit being the main part - needs to be from a tight entity, or ensemble. I need to know it's not just a product, even if a great one from professionals. It must be a collaborative matter showing what they're capable of together in terms of creativity and functioning as an actual band again... Which is one of the reasons (not the main one though) I'm not too overwhelmed by Silkworms Absurd. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

I understand and me too, but I also want to know that it comes from a band, you know? From THE band. I know, it's not the original GNR any more etc. etc. But we've been through loads of personnel changes and uncertain periods and decades of Axl's solo endeavour. And now that they're basically back together, it needs to come off as a real BAND again, hence my desire that the music itself - albeit being the main part - needs to be from a tight entity, or ensemble. I need to know it's not just a product, even if a great one from professionals. It must be a collaborative matter showing what they're capable of together in terms of creativity and functioning as an actual band again... Which is one of the reasons (not the main one though) I'm not too overwhelmed by Silkworms Absurd. 

I understand the romantic notion of a band going into a studio together to record an album within several weeks, just like in the old days. But am I going to dismiss a song because it wasn't recorded within the same time frame or because it was written a long time ago? Nah. Especially not with this band, I'll take what I can get. UYI wasn't recorded or written that way either, from what I know there wasn't much of a unity going on. Izzy was sending in riffs through tapes, and they recorded most stuff separately. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Do you guys seriously want the new album to consist of just Axl’s NuGuns demos with Slash solos added?

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind entirely new songs, but I like so many of the leaks from '99 and based on what they did with Silkworms, I think those old, great songs with some tasty Slash licks here and there, could be fantastic (just don't remove all of Robin's or Bucket's leads!).

Also, I don't think the band will be able to write and record 12-14 entirely new songs and have they released in my life time.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I understand the romantic notion of a band going into a studio together to record an album within several weeks, just like in the old days. But am I going to dismiss a song because it wasn't recorded within the same time frame or because it was written a long time ago? Nah. Especially not with this band, I'll take what I can get. UYI wasn't recorded or written that way either, from what I know there wasn't much of a unity going on. Izzy was sending in riffs through tapes, and they recorded most stuff separately. 

You’re right, but still, lots of these songs originated sort of… in a collaborative attempt. Nightrain, Paradise City… it was about them etc. 
Let me put it this way: if the reunion never happened and Axl still toured with the Nu guys, I wouldn’t give the slightest damn about what he’d put on the album, as long as there would be one. Even if they were 20-year old songs. More or less, it would be the same lineup, maybe with a different lead guitar. But this is different. I’m looking at it from a point of view of a person who’s been a fan since 1992 (although I do like NuGNR; after all, CD is a great album, even if it could have been better), and now the original guys are back together, so I wish for some real collaboration… Maybe I’m too romantic, yes. :)

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You’re right, but still, lots of these songs originated sort of… in a collaborative attempt. Nightrain, Paradise City… it was about them etc. 
Let me put it this way: if the reunion never happened and Axl still toured with the Nu guys, I wouldn’t give the slightest damn about what he’d put on the album, as long as there would be one. Even if they were 20-year old songs. More or less, it would be the same lineup, maybe with a different lead guitar. But this is different. I’m looking at it from a point of view of a person who’s been a fan since 1992 (although I do like NuGNR; after all, CD is a great album, even if it could have been better), and now the original guys are back together, so I wish for some real collaboration… Maybe I’m too romantic, yes. :)

And maybe that will happen, I'm hoping for a mix of CD-era songs and brand new songs. Or first a record with CD-era songs and then a record with brand new songs. But yeah, that might be wishful thinking.

But it's never going to be like the Appetite days, when they were just a bunch of guys hanging out with a beer and someone played a riff or some chords and before they knew it, they had another song. Those days were already over by the time the UYI-era started. I think we have to accept that.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But it's never going to be like the Appetite days, when they were just a bunch of guys hanging out with a beer and someone plays a riff or some chords and before they knew it, they had another song. Those days were already over by the time the UYI-era started. I think we have to accept that.

I obviously didn’t mean literally this. 

And maybe that will happen, I'm hoping for a mix of CD-era songs and brand new songs. Or first a record with CD-era songs and then a record with brand new songs. But yeah, that might be wishful thinking.

That was my point. At first, we should get at least some new songs, though. It’s like what I was saying here a few years ago about some future first single. I thought the single would have a strong “comeback” feeling and therefore should be a brand new song, so that they’d sort of showed the world they still got it, what they are capable of as a band etc. Of course there’s lots of drawer material, but the first one should have been different. Oh well, at least we still have some element of surprise, don’t we. Something's happening, we're starved, so it's ok. 

But it's never going to be like the Appetite days, when they were just a bunch of guys hanging out with a beer and someone played a riff or some chords and before they knew it, they had another song. Those days were already over by the time the UYI-era started. I think we have to accept that.

Yeah. With the Village leaks we know, or I know, that there are some truly great instrumentals already existing. The basis of great songs. Add some magic from Slash, some magic from Duff, and vocals from Axl (if they don't have it already) and we are guaranteed songs I will really, really enjoy. Why would I then want them to go through an elaborate process of creating new songs together, knowing the chance of that resulting in the lineup breaking down, and with the likely outcome that a new album wouldn't see the light of days in many years and possible never?

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

That was my point. At first, we should get at least some new songs, though. It’s like what I was saying here a few years ago about some future first single. I thought the single would have a strong “comeback” feeling and therefore should be a brand new song, so that they’d sort of showed the world they still got it, what they are capable of as a band etc. Of course there’s lots of drawer material, but the first one should have been different. Oh well, at least we still have some element of surprise, don’t we. Something's happening, we're starved, so it's ok. 

Yeah, but also, Absurd gives a strong comeback feeling, that of a band that is not afraid to go its own ways and are not afraid to provoke and divide (even its own fans - as they have always done).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah. With the Village leaks we know, or I know, that there are some truly great instrumentals already existing. The basis of great songs. Add some magic from Slash, some magic from Duff, and vocals from Axl (if they don't have it already) and we are guaranteed songs I will really, really enjoy. Why would I then want them to go through an elaborate process of creating new songs together, knowing the chance of that resulting in the lineup breaking down, and with the likely outcome that a new album wouldn't see the light of days in many years and possible never?

Which is why an ideal mixture would be the best solution. Like I said, not just new, not just old.