The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Just commenting here to bring it back to the front page. Let's hit 500 before the album!

I said some time (years ago) a number of pages before the new album... i cant find it. It was really far far away.... im sure that we overpassed that number.

Im now for the 666 page. Something to renew the devil contract.:wow:

The only way I think that a new album will ever be good is if they get in a room together and make an album TOGETHER.  

Sadly, I don't see that happening.  Any new album will likely be Slash and Duff making contributions to Axl's solo music from 20 odd years ago.  Or a bunch of copying/pasting of parts recorded over a 20+ year period.  

I've always preferred live music to studio.  Its just more honest.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

The only way I think that a new album will ever be good is if they get in a room together and make an album TOGETHER.  

Sadly, I don't see that happening.  Any new album will likely be Slash and Duff making contributions to Axl's solo music from 20 odd years ago.  Or a bunch of copying/pasting of parts recorded over a 20+ year period.  

That's BS. You're saying "There's only one way to make music" and I can point out many great albums that were not written the way you think it has to be done. I don't know if this album will be great, but I'm not willing to write it off before I've heard it.

When does it stop being Axl solo? I mean if Slash and Duff agree that A) they like it B) they want to record parts for it, possibly making their own creative input on riffs and arrangements etc. Then surely that's them creating music together and not Axl Rose solo. Yesterdays is an Axl Rose solo song by your standards because he wrote it with outside writers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

That's BS. You're saying "There's only one way to make music" and I can point out many great albums that were not written the way you think it has to be done. I don't know if this album will be great, but I'm not willing to write it off before I've heard it.

When does it stop being Axl solo? I mean if Slash and Duff agree that A) they like it B) they want to record parts for it, possibly making their own creative input on riffs and arrangements etc. Then surely that's them creating music together and not Axl Rose solo. Yesterdays is an Axl Rose solo song by your standards because he wrote it with outside writers. 

I agree, if you do not have creativity you can be locked down for 14 years. 

56 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't mind if they get in a room together and decide that they want to work  on an old song as a band.  Hell, they can even use Axl's old vocals if they are already recorded.  But if you end up with Slash 2020 on lead guitar, Josh Freese 2000 on drums, Tommy Stinson 2004 on bass and have most of the current band not involved... well that's a strange way of making music that likely won't sound natural.  

Chemistry is a big part of music.  You can hear it clearly on Appetite and Lies.  Less so on the Illusions.  Not really much at all on CD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I don't mind if they get in a room together and decide that they want to work  on an old song as a band.  Hell, they can even use Axl's old vocals if they are already recorded.  But if you end up with Slash 2020 on lead guitar, Josh Freese 2000 on drums, Tommy Stinson 2004 on bass and have most of the current band not involved... well that's a strange way of making music that likely won't sound natural.  

Chemistry is a big part of music.  You can hear it clearly on Appetite and Lies.  Less so on the Illusions.  Not really much at all on CD.

I agree with you 100% there. And the proof is in the pudding... Very few bands apply this approach and for good bloody reason. It would be a nightmare to mix! That said The Beatles did successfully manage it with The Anthology series tracks. But that was slightly different - JL was dead!

• Like 2

That's why there needs to be a huge share of new songs or old songs from the original era. Plus some Axl's solo ideas. Release, tour, repeat. Thus we'll get to hear new stuff as well as the vault. I keep saying that here all the time. A mixture, damn it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

This album is destined for disaster..  I can't imagine that deep down Slash is happy about splicing together tracks of songs written by other people from all different lineups and releasing it is a Guns N' Roses album...  It is going to be just as bad as CD.

Exactly. There’s a quote from 90s Slash in the Paul Huge thread. 
The general gist was that Axl wanted to write with Paul, maybe keep Gilby as a touring guitarist and maybe even have 3 guitars. 
I can picture 90s Slash just rolling his eyes and chuckling at that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Many bands work that way ... Metallica for example. Lars and James writes everything and then Kirk and Robert play his parts.. ACDC was kind the same Angus n Malcom writes the song and then everybody else did his parts. Brian Jhonson is not Even in the credits of the last album

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

It is going to be just as bad as CD.

If the next album is CD2 with some Duff added, and Slash and Fortus replacing Bumble's parts, a little Frank and Melissa, whilst leaving the best of Bucket and Robin, I'd be very cool with that. 

19 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

Many bands work that way ... Metallica for example. Lars and James writes everything and then Kirk and Robert play his parts.. ACDC was kind the same Angus n Malcom writes the song and then everybody else did his parts. Brian Jhonson is not Even in the credits of the last album

No, they don't. Metallica and AC/DC have primary writers but the band record together. Power Up was written using riffs and song ideas written by Malcolm but they didn't use his parts and overdub them. I've said before and I'll say it again - there's a reason bands don't regularly utilise this approach. Ron Thal has even expressed how difficult he found it trying to add parts onto existing recordings for CD.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If the best of the unreleased material is reworked by Slash and Duff the way they managed to lift Silkworms, then I think the next album could be even better than Chinese Democracy :)

Slash just joined the band, he shouldn't get to dictate what music they make and release.

I sincerely hope it would be better than CD! But Absurd has done little to encourage me. 

Slash and Duff returning to the band breathed some life into it. The final years of the pre-reunion were pretty sad to be honest. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

We'll have to see how it's going to be. They don't have to get all physically in the same room to do that. But they've played one song live and have rehearsed another, so in a way they have worked together.

Guitars and bass will be all new, vocals probably all or mostly old. For the drums, Brain's old tracks may be used on some songs like on Absurd, and maybe Frank records new ones on other songs. It'll depend on how much the structure and the instrumental parts have changed. Judging from the Hardschool rehearsal, I don't know if they could use old drum tracks for that one.

All in all, what matters is if the result will sound good. And I hope for one or two brand new songs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Oh it's definitely a strange way to do it, but it can be done. I mean I don't like the song Absurd but besides the Vocal the band sounds great on it! Slash's guitar has a purifying effect on the music, he brings that raw sound. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I sincerely hope it would be better than CD! But Absurd has done little to encourage me. 

Slash and Duff returning to the band breathed some life into it. The final years of the pre-reunion were pretty sad to be honest. 

Absurd is a shit song, and there is only so much one can do with such material... Slash and Duff undoubtedly improved it though, and i think the same will hold true for whatever else they decide to release. For all the shit i give Absurd, it is great to hear the old guys on it after so long without any official studio material.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

This album is destined for disaster..  I can't imagine that deep down Slash is happy about splicing together tracks of songs written by other people from all different lineups and releasing it is a Guns N' Roses album...  It is going to be just as bad as CD.

It's destined to upset people, it might still be great though. Just not the idea of great that some people have.

Look, we don't know! There's every chance that the band has got in the room together and made music and recorded it. 

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

It's destined to upset people, it might still be great though. Just not the idea of great that some people have.

Look, we don't know! There's every chance that the band has got in the room together and made music and recorded it. 

I'm pretty sure Slash has said multiple times that they get together to work on stuff when they are in the same areas as each other. Add to that the confirmation that Slash has visited Axl's studio to work on material, and i think it's clear that the new album will not entirely be remote cut and paste jobs.

• Like 2