The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

This album is destined for disaster..  I can't imagine that deep down Slash is happy about splicing together tracks of songs written by other people from all different lineups and releasing it is a Guns N' Roses album...  It is going to be just as bad as CD.

CD has no Slash. That alone makes it AUTOMATICALLY impossible to not be better than CD.

Also there's no guarantee that the stuff Slash would come up with would result in better songs than him working on Axl songs. LTD was the worst album of Slashs career in my opinion. He could maybe use this as an inspiration, I think he already takes pride in turning shit like Silkworms into a listenable song.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

13 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I'm pretty sure Slash has said multiple times that they get together to work on stuff when they are in the same areas as each other. Add to that the confirmation that Slash has visited Axl's studio to work on material, and i think it's clear that the new album will not entirely be remote cut and paste jobs.

Not sure it's that clear. Slash could be at Axl's studio just to work on the mix and making adjustments. His parts could be recorded at his home studio. Obviously I would love to be wrong on that.

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Guitars and bass will be all new, vocals probably all or mostly old. For the drums, Brain's old tracks may be used on some songs like on Absurd, and maybe Frank records new ones on other songs. It'll depend on how much the structure and the instrumental parts have changed. Judging from the Hardschool rehearsal, I don't know if they could use old drum tracks for that one.

Maybe Hard School structure was already changed after the Village leak. We just assume that Slash and Duff made those changes (including the supposed new intro). Keep in mind that the Hard School we know was from the same time that IRS had a totally different guitar arrangement, and TWAT didn't even had Bucket's outro. 

11 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure it's that clear. Slash could be at Axl's studio just to work on the mix and making adjustments. His parts could be recorded at his home studio. Obviously I would love to be wrong on that.

That's how we heard about Slash going at Axl's studio (and Slash confirmed it later), so I guess some recording took place.

image.png.39f65d8952c67e1c1d3d01bd15a13d

Maybe Hard School structure was already changed after the Village leak. We just assume that Slash and Duff made those changes (including the supposed new intro). Keep in mind that the Hard School we know was from the same time that IRS had a totally different guitar arrangement, and TWAT didn't even had Bucket's outro. 

Yes, of course, that's likely. For example, a solo after the first chorus might already have been added. But, I don't know, the intro sounds to me like something Slash and Duff would come up with.

• Like 3

Based on the new- Slash Hard Skool, they would have had to redone quite a bit more than Silkworms. It is pretty similar, but there are some changes in the bridge that would have probably required new drums compared to the demo. It is also possible there was a more final version of HS in existence that was not on the Village leaks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That's how we heard about Slash going at Axl's studio (and Slash confirmed it later), so I guess some recording took place.

image.png.39f65d8952c67e1c1d3d01bd15a13d

Yes, of course, that's likely. For example, a solo after the first chorus might already have been added. But, I don't know, the intro sounds to me like something Slash and Duff would come up with.

Oh, I totally forgot about the Marshall head (not sure if this speaker is part of the set too). You're right. That tells me that Caram would not use the same re-amp technique like he did on Chinese. In fact, it's possible to actually hear the amp still turned on when there's a moment of silence in Absurd towards the ending. :P

I hope that also means that Axl and Caram are not comping Slash's solos with different takes and ideas. Or at least that Slash himself oversaw this process. 

About Hard School intro: it indeed sounds like Velvet Revolver's songs such as Dirty Little Thing and Sucker Train Blues.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Absurd is the first time Slash uses a Silver Jubilee on a studio GNR release

But that's modified, right? I can't remember the original posting. I don't understand why that was dropped for servicing by Caram instead of one of Slash's own amp.

41 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

But that's modified, right? I can't remember the original posting. I don't understand why that was dropped for servicing by Caram instead of one of Slash's own amp.

It says that one is one of Slash’s OGs. I don’t think he modified the Jubilees

50 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Oh, I totally forgot about the Marshall head (not sure if this speaker is part of the set too). You're right. That tells me that Caram would not use the same re-amp technique like he did on Chinese. In fact, it's possible to actually hear the amp still turned on when there's a moment of silence in Absurd towards the ending. :P

I hope that also means that Axl and Caram are not comping Slash's solos with different takes and ideas. Or at least that Slash himself oversaw this process. 

About Hard School intro: it indeed sounds like Velvet Revolver's songs such as Dirty Little Thing and Sucker Train Blues.

And both sound like It's so Easy 🤣

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

It says that one is one of Slash’s OGs. I don’t think he modified the Jubilees

hum, good to know. Absurd's guitar sounds a lot like Slash's tone from 2016-2019. I do prefer how he sounds now, actually.

2 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

And both sound like It's so Easy 🤣

Haha true

Just now, Voodoochild said:

hum, good to know. Absurd's guitar sounds a lot like Slash's tone from 2016-2019. I do prefer how he sounds now, actually.

Haha true

He uses way less gain for leads in the studio. Same thing with Living the Dream. It works on Absurd, and I like the delay a lot, but I hope he turns up the gain on some other songs or doubles some with the same Jubilee or a JCM 800 or something for a bit more oomph.

the rhythm sounds killer, though. Definitely happy with those tones for most of the record

• Like 1

Why should Guns throw away the material that they already have? The "leftovers" from the CD era aren't rejects, Axl planned for a trilogy. There are some real heavy hitters left- Perhaps, Atlas, General, SoG, Hard Skool all have insane potential. If it's true Axl was working on the album in 2015, why should they just throw away the material? Axl, Fortus, Frank, Dizzy are all current members still who worked on that material most likely. Slash and Duff re-entering the band are not arrogant and would not say to Axl sure, let's get rid of everything you worked on for the past 20 years. I'm sure if they release a CDII there will be some originals or they'll do another new album down the line.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I'm pretty sure Slash has said multiple times that they get together to work on stuff when they are in the same areas as each other. Add to that the confirmation that Slash has visited Axl's studio to work on material, and i think it's clear that the new album will not entirely be remote cut and paste jobs.

I don't remember him saying that specifically about gnr, he definitely has said that about SMKC. 

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Why should Guns throw away the material that they already have? The "leftovers" from the CD era aren't rejects, Axl planned for a trilogy. There are some real heavy hitters left- Perhaps, Atlas, General, SoG, Hard Skool all have insane potential. If it's true Axl was working on the album in 2015, why should they just throw away the material? Axl, Fortus, Frank, Dizzy are all current members still who worked on that material most likely. Slash and Duff re-entering the band are not arrogant and would not say to Axl sure, let's get rid of everything you worked on for the past 20 years. I'm sure if they release a CDII there will be some originals or they'll do another new album down the line.

Ah you had me up until there'll be another album down the line😄 I mean it is possible but we all know once this comes out they'll tour forever on it and by the end of that they'll be circling retirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Absurd is the first time Slash uses a Silver Jubilee on a studio GNR release

Is there a definitive gear list for what was used on which album? It's frustrating trying to piece this stuff together. Appetite was a modded SL Plexi, right? I thought I read that the Illusions were on the Silver Jubilee, but I guess not?

Slash interview a month after being in Axl's studio (that was during a SMKC tour break in April 2019 - the SMKC tour ended in Aug. 2019):

Meltdown: Now this is a little bit different because you do have some Guns N’ Roses dates on festivals and stuff along with doing the Conspirators gigs, right?

Slash: Well, no. Actually the last shows - the end of the tour, is, like, August. I can’t remember the exact date.

Meltdown: I got ya.

Slash: And then, come September-October, we turn on the Guns thing, and then that goes from there. After those Guns dates, the festival dates, we’ll be working on the record and [line cut out - interruption]

[...]

Meltdown: I was just saying, it’s the biggest cliffhanger I’ve ever had in an interview. You were talking about the brand new record and all of a sudden it just cut out. So...

Slash (laughs): [...] Yeah, when we finish the tour in the fall, then we will commence on working a little bit on what's gonna be the next Guns record.

Meltdown: Yeah, the last time I talked to you or Duff a couple of months back, you weren’t really sure if were gonna do it. You were kinda saying, “Never say never” and stuff like that. So it’s pretty much set on stone now. You guys are ready to go with the new record, or at least are in the writing process and the whole thing.

Slash: Yeah, the thing is that we had’t really done anything yet. And I don’t want to indicate anything like, “Oh wow!” [...] I just wanted to be honest about it, and so there was really no telling what we were gonna do at that point. But at this point, I do know that we’re gonna do this one, and we’ve already started working on stuff, so there you go.

Meltdown: Yeah, I know. There’s rumors that you were at Axl’s house a few weeks ago or something. Can you comment on anything about that?

Slash: It’s funny, cuz there was a rumor that I was over there, yeah, and before I’d even been there. [...] It was a pain in the ass and annoying. But I’m excited about what we’ve got going on and everything, so it’s gonna be cool. It's freakin' awesome.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3942-2019-05-28-wrif-detroit-talkin-rock-with-meltdown-interview-with-slash-audio

So that's when they started doing something with new music.

25 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't remember him saying that specifically about gnr, he definitely has said that about SMKC. 

He actually said that about GnR (that was in Sept. 2019, after the SMKC tour had ended):

Speaking about Guns N' Roses' plans for the coming months, the guitarist said: "We're just doing this one run [of shows] in the States and a couple of dates in Mexico end of this month into November. And so that's it for Guns for now. And I think we have something coming up in March as far as touring is concerned. Obviously, everybody knows that we're working on new material, which is really exciting, and so, that's really primarily what the focus is."

Asked if the Guns songwriting process has involved everybody working individually or together in a studio, Slash said: "I have nothing to tell you, information-wise, other than no, it's not that. Everybody has been sort of, like, when we're in town, working on it. And then when we're out of town, obviously not. So it's been that kind of thing."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4222-2019-09-09-sirius-xm-trunk-nation-interview-with-slash

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Why should Guns throw away the material that they already have? The "leftovers" from the CD era aren't rejects, Axl planned for a trilogy. There are some real heavy hitters left- Perhaps, Atlas, General, SoG, Hard Skool all have insane potential. 

Heavy hitters!!!!? P-p-p-p-please! 🤪🤪🤪😀😀 I've listened all songs except The General and State of Grace is the best of the bunch. I will however say that the chorus in Hard School is very catchy. Rest of it less so. Atlas and Perhaps don't do anything for me. I've played the tracks to pals who are GNR fans (we are all due to go see them in Glasgow next year). I let the boys hear all those tracks you mentioned and nobody was really biting. It's purely subjective obviously but I doubt a song like Atlas Shrugged is going to do much. But then again I fucking loathe it! Haha! Perhaps just bored me. Another meandering Axl piano ballad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Heavy hitters!!!!? P-p-p-p-please! 🤪🤪🤪😀😀 I've listened all songs except The General and State of Grace is the best of the bunch. I will however say that the chorus in Hard School is very catchy. Rest of it less so. Atlas and Perhaps don't do anything for me. I've played the tracks to pals who are GNR fans (we are all due to go see them in Glasgow next year). I let the boys hear all those tracks you mentioned and nobody was really biting. It's purely subjective obviously but I doubt a song like Atlas Shrugged is going to do much. But then again I fucking loathe it! Haha! Perhaps just bored me. Another meandering Axl piano ballad.

With a good Slash solo and some instrumental changes I think it could be something viewed in the light of a modern November Rain. Slash and Duff will make Perhaps and Atlas something that could’ve been on the illusion albums.

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yeah, no heavy hitters in sight. Hard Skool is good and I really like Goin Down, everything else is kinda meh to me. 

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

After those Guns dates, the festival dates, we’ll be working on the record and [line cut out - interruption]

[...]

Meltdown: I was just saying, it’s the biggest cliffhanger I’ve ever had in an interview

TB? 

:lol:

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah, no heavy hitters in sight

Maybe not to us, those leaks are from 1999. Just songs we got to hear, pretty dumb to assume that's all there is just because that's what we got to hear. I find Oklahoma amazing though, and SOG will be made great by Slash.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Maybe not to us, those leaks are from 1999. Just songs we got to hear, pretty dumb to assume that's all there is just because that's what we got to hear. I find Oklahoma amazing though, and SOG will be made great by Slash.

Yeah I get ya to a degree. I think my 'beef' here is... a lot of the material has been known about in some capacity since the late 90s/early 00s and the expectations were likely completely unrealistic. But then when it finally sees the light of day, albeit illegally, it's just a little underwhelming and a little light. I think what I'm trying to say here is I like GNR to be more on the heavier than lighter side. Songs like Catcher In The Rye, This I Love etc just bored the tits off me. I don't mind a piano ballad if it is dark (e.g. Estranged) but generally speaking that's not what interests me. 

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash interview a month after being in Axl's studio (that was during a SMKC tour break in April 2019 - the SMKC tour ended in Aug. 2019):

Meltdown: Now this is a little bit different because you do have some Guns N’ Roses dates on festivals and stuff along with doing the Conspirators gigs, right?

Slash: Well, no. Actually the last shows - the end of the tour, is, like, August. I can’t remember the exact date.

Meltdown: I got ya.

Slash: And then, come September-October, we turn on the Guns thing, and then that goes from there. After those Guns dates, the festival dates, we’ll be working on the record and [line cut out - interruption]

[...]

Meltdown: I was just saying, it’s the biggest cliffhanger I’ve ever had in an interview. You were talking about the brand new record and all of a sudden it just cut out. So...

Slash (laughs): [...] Yeah, when we finish the tour in the fall, then we will commence on working a little bit on what's gonna be the next Guns record.

Meltdown: Yeah, the last time I talked to you or Duff a couple of months back, you weren’t really sure if were gonna do it. You were kinda saying, “Never say never” and stuff like that. So it’s pretty much set on stone now. You guys are ready to go with the new record, or at least are in the writing process and the whole thing.

Slash: Yeah, the thing is that we had’t really done anything yet. And I don’t want to indicate anything like, “Oh wow!” [...] I just wanted to be honest about it, and so there was really no telling what we were gonna do at that point. But at this point, I do know that we’re gonna do this one, and we’ve already started working on stuff, so there you go.

Meltdown: Yeah, I know. There’s rumors that you were at Axl’s house a few weeks ago or something. Can you comment on anything about that?

Slash: It’s funny, cuz there was a rumor that I was over there, yeah, and before I’d even been there. [...] It was a pain in the ass and annoying. But I’m excited about what we’ve got going on and everything, so it’s gonna be cool. It's freakin' awesome.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3942-2019-05-28-wrif-detroit-talkin-rock-with-meltdown-interview-with-slash-audio

So that's when they started doing something with new music.

He actually said that about GnR (that was in Sept. 2019, after the SMKC tour had ended):

Speaking about Guns N' Roses' plans for the coming months, the guitarist said: "We're just doing this one run [of shows] in the States and a couple of dates in Mexico end of this month into November. And so that's it for Guns for now. And I think we have something coming up in March as far as touring is concerned. Obviously, everybody knows that we're working on new material, which is really exciting, and so, that's really primarily what the focus is."

Asked if the Guns songwriting process has involved everybody working individually or together in a studio, Slash said: "I have nothing to tell you, information-wise, other than no, it's not that. Everybody has been sort of, like, when we're in town, working on it. And then when we're out of town, obviously not. So it's been that kind of thing."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4222-2019-09-09-sirius-xm-trunk-nation-interview-with-slash

How did that not get picked up more? I totally missed that! 

Bit confused when he said "it's not that" in regard to is it a people individually or as a collective. I'm guessing he meant that it's not a all in the room type recording process?

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

How did that not get picked up more? I totally missed that! 

Bit confused when he said "it's not that" in regard to is it a people individually or as a collective. I'm guessing he meant that it's not a all in the room type recording process?

It's the same interview where he said they didn't know how to release what they had, so everyone had focused on that and didn't pay attention to the other things he said.

II think with "it's not that" he meant that it was not a "regular" working process either way.