The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Ya know what? I’m damn happy. Poor Fernando has probably had to live in untold fear of over speaking for his uncle. I’m sure he would’ve loved to give us this news himself, if only so people would stop busting his balls so much. 

What we have instead is empirical proof that a largescale GNR release is somehow imminent. The only way that I can foresee this being a bust is if it’s a “live” album that also includes Hard Skool & Absurd. They don’t hate us that much…do they? 😳

Taking ABSUЯD for example: USUG12103950 can be separated in 4 parts: 

US is the country code (duh).
UG1 is the registrant code (Universal Group)
21 is the year the ISRC code was created (2021).
03950 is the code asigned to ABSUЯD.

The last part is the important one. The way it works is that the ISRC organization gives a batch of codes to the registrant (in this case Universal) to use, but it's the registrant the one who asigns each code to one song (in this case, it was Universal who specifically linked 03950 to ABSUЯD.

The fact that Absurd and Hard Skool are in the same batch of codes, with unassigned codes in between and after, that's some clear evidence that both songs are part of something bigger.

With that said, yes, I do agree that this doesn't mean that the album is "imminent", but it would be nice to know when ABSUЯD and Hard Skool ISRC's codes were created.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

11 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Well, ok, here’s a question…how long can these 23 songs remain in “limbo” after being registered? 

From here: https://www.ifpi.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/ISRC_Handbook.pdf

4.4 How to assign ISRC

An ISRC should be assigned when all creative processes are complete and a decision is taken to release a recording or hold it for later unchanged use.

[...]

A.6 WHEN SHOULD A NEW ISRC BE ASSIGNED?

The International Standard states that ISRC shall be assigned “before the full mastering process for the recording is completed”. This needs to be understood in the broader context of “mastering” which includes the preparation of physical masters and files which need to contain the ISRC before manufacturing and distribution. ISRC will normally be assigned after the recording has gone through the final creative processes which are also termed “mastering” –application of equalisation and compression to optimise the sound.Practicalities of project management may require ISRC to be provisionally assigned in anticipation of a completed mix. Allowing an ISRC to be associated with a recording as it completes its substantive production stages is acceptable and can have benefits for the continuity of other information such as data about performer line-up and other contributors. Such assignment of ISRC becomes secure only upon completion of a final mix, since full details of title, contributors to that mix, duration etc., may not be fully known prior to this point.Users should check on recommendations from Digital Data Exchange (DDEX) which is working on recommendations for the identification of projects in the studio.

[...]

A recording that is releasable (i.e. it is mixed and mastered) but is not in fact released may be assigned an ISRC.The ISRC shall be associated with the recording as it stored and, in order to avoid multiple ISRC assignment it shall be used in future exploitation of that recording, i.e. if that recording is later released.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

• janrichmond changed the title to The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?
5 hours ago, slash23579 said:

So I took the time to look up all the codes for Chinese Democracy as a reference 

Chinese Democracy - USUM70842892

Shackler’s Revenge - USUM70842907

Better - USUM70842891

Street of Dreams - USUM70842909

If the World - USUM70842903

There Was a Time - USUM70842910

Catcher in the Rye - USUM70842912

Scraped - USUM70842913

Riad N the Bedouins - USUM70842906

Sorry - USUM70842908

I.R.S. - USUM70842902

Madagascar - USUM70842904

This I Love - USUM70842911

Prostitute - USUM70842905

So all the codes are within a specific range together, which could be a good sign for a new album with HS and Absurd imo but who knows. One thing I’ve noticed tho is they are definitely not in order and there are missing numbers so it’s not confirmed that there’s an album with 11 tracks separating the songs

I looked for the 8 codes in the gap between 42892 (Chinese Democracy) and 42902 (I.R.S) and they were never assigned - they are blank. It seems that more spots in the range were reserved (maybe for different versions/mixes), but never used.

Also regarding CD, I see that ISRC codes were assigned to different versions of the songs ("Version 2") in 2009. There are also assigned versions in 2008 that say "Do Not Use":

https://isrcsearch.ifpi.org/#!/search?artistName=Guns N' Roses&recordingYear=2008&tab=advanced&showReleases&start=0&number=100

• Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Silkworms was not a throwaway, to Axl at least. Maybe in the eyes of fans, which is fair, but Axl played it live 4 times in 2001 and was always pretty excited about it, and said he wanted to release it as a single many times. I don’t think it was a throwaway in his eyes.

At the party in 2010 when the phone recording of The General was taken , Silkworms was also played and recorded, right? So definitely a song he always had plans for I'd have thought 

Edited by Caedo

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I looked for the 8 codes in the gap between 42892 (Chinese Democracy) and 42902 (I.R.S) and they were never assigned - they are blank. It seems that more spots in the range were reserved (maybe for different versions/mixes), but never used.

Also regarding CD, I see that ISRC codes were assigned to different versions of the songs ("Version 2") in 2009. There are also assigned versions in 2008 that say "Do Not Use":

https://isrcsearch.ifpi.org/#!/search?artistName=Guns N' Roses&recordingYear=2008&tab=advanced&showReleases&start=0&number=100

Wasn't If The World also released before the album for that movie Body of Lies?

By that 2008 interview with Axl that you found a year ago, and how Shackler's is described as "Stereo version", I think it would be a safe bet to assume that those "Version 2" tracks would be the Blu-ray mix, which likely would mean a 5.1 surround sound mix that Axl wanted to release at some point.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Wasn't If The World also released before the album for that movie Body of Lies?

By that 2008 interview with Axl that you found a year ago, and how Shackler's is described as "Stereo version", I think it would be a safe bet to assume that those "Version 2" tracks would be the Blu-ray mix, which likely would mean a 5.1 surround sound mix that Axl wanted to release at some point.

If it was the same as the album version of ITW in the movie, then it's the same ISRC code.

Shackler's Revenge is the only song that there's no assigned ISRC for "Version 2", but there is an ISRC for "stereoversion".

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Also, the "Do Not Use" version of Better is 5:33 minutes long... and guess what, the unreleased official music video of Better is... 5:33 minutes long :lol:

Yes, the code prefix is USUV (UV = Universal Videos, I assume). The other "Do Not Use" is Chinese Democracy, also UV.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yup! Which is why I would caution everyone who sees 23 songs and thinks “Oh fuck yeah, double album!!!!” 

It could be similar “do not use” or live versions of YCBM for a specific physical release. Just be happy this more than likely means ALBUM.

• Like 3