The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

5 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Slash on writing songs for SMKC vs GNR:

"As far as Guns is concerned we haven't even gotten to that point of really in earnest sitting down and writing, we've been doing a lot of material that's sort of been sitting around for a while, so that will be a whole focused endeavor unto itself"

Sounds, to me at least, like they have recorded more CD leftover with GN'R but nothing has been written since the reunion... 

Exactly that, even when he's using vague phrasing to deflect.  Basically, Axl isn't working on anything new.  Duff and I have had to record parts for the few existing songs he has.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Exactly that, even when he's using vague phrasing to deflect.  Basically, Axl isn't working on anything new.  Duff and I have had to record parts for the few existing songs he has.

Except he literally said Axl had “a lot of material”…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Here's pause for thought: it's quite possible, given the timescale, previous/current progress etc etc that we will never hear a new song written by Axl/Slash/Duff again. 

Even if they were to release this album next year, they'd then tour it for years, and if (big if) they decided then to try and write stuff it would likely take years too. By which point, how old would they be? 

I find it sort of remarkable to think like that, but when you think about, it's a likely scenario. 

Quite possible?  Are you for real?  I'd say it is an absolute certainty.

• Like 1

I wonder if it increases our chances of hearing The General in that case? I really hope it does. I always assumed songs like that would have been put aside with Slash and Duff back involved, but with Silkworms getting a makeover, anything is possible.

1 hour ago, Walapino said:

Pele must be estatic! 

Appreciate the shout out - but not really.

They are subtly telling you, over and over again, with words and actions, that there is nothing new coming.

This is another clear indication.

If I thought that Rose would write lyrics to Zodiac, Quick Song, D-Tune, Rebel etc,etc, then I'd be happy enough, but we're not even gonna see those.

Some on here will still twist this into "cool, they are gonna finish all of those Chinese songs, then write and record a load of new stuff"

Just now, Pele said:

He's not really being vague there though - he's saying, pretty plainly, that they haven't written anything together. 

Just now, Dean said:

I wonder if it increases our chances of hearing The General in that case? I really hope it does. I always assumed songs like that would have been put aside with Slash and Duff back involved, but with Silkworms getting a makeover, anything is possible.

I'd say it's likely now, if there is ever an album. Minimum of ten songs, say two of them are Hardskool and Absurd.....that leaves 8 left! 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

He's not really being vague there though - he's saying, pretty plainly, that they haven't written anything together. 

Agree.  Anyone sane will read that and understand they haven't written anything, and begin to realize what is going to happen.

Others interpret this as "there is loads of material and they are gonna record and release them".

It was deliberately vague, with no timescale, and no certainly of completion.  If questioned a few years later, he can say "yeah, we did what I said, we re-worked Silkworms, HardSkool'

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd say it's likely now, if there is ever an album. Minimum of ten songs, say two of them are Hardskool and Absurd.....that leaves 8 left! 

The General, Perhaps, OMG, Atlas are 4.  The others will be covers and re-works of existing GNR songs IMO.

Just now, klakly said:

At this point I'm hoping that a double album comes out before the European tour, so as to close the loop with the Chinese stuff. And then what will be will be.

A double!  Are you insane????  They barely have enough for an EP!!!

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

CDII probably will look like

1.) Absurd

2.) The General

3.) OMG

4.) Soul Monster

5.) Hard Skool

6.) Perhaps

7.) Atlas Shrugged

Throw a few covers in there a Duff song, maybe an unknown CD era song from 2006 or two and we have a great album.

Correct (minus Soul Monster IMO).

Totally incorrect about it being a 'great album' though.

I'm positively The General is going to be massively underwhelming too.

Edited by Pele

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Didn’t know an opinion could be incorrect.

My opinion obviously.

I wouldn't class a 10 track album 'great' if it consisted of the following:

• OMG (dreadful 20 years ago, worse today)
  • Silkworms (dreadful 20 years ago, worse today)
  • Atlas (utterly unremarkable filler, like Catcher but worse)
  • Perhaps (decent enough ballad)
  • HardSkool (decent to listen to, although cheesy as hell and sounds like it belongs on Glee with an Avril Levine type singing it)
  • Any Duff song (guaranteed to be horrendous as always)
  • Haha 1

How funny is it all the interviewers year after year just have no clue that Guns is a joke in regards to material. Nostalgia, touring act. Anything else should be considered bonuses ie Hard Skool (which is half as good as the demo) Case closed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pele said:

My opinion obviously.

I wouldn't class a 10 track album 'great' if it consisted of the following:

• OMG (dreadful 20 years ago, worse today)
  • Silkworms (dreadful 20 years ago, worse today)
  • Atlas (utterly unremarkable filler, like Catcher but worse)
  • Perhaps (decent enough ballad)
  • HardSkool (decent to listen to, although cheesy as hell and sounds like it belongs on Glee with an Avril Levine type singing it)
  • Any Duff song (guaranteed to be horrendous as always)

Out of interest, are you actually a GnR fan...? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, JimiRose said:

Out of interest, are you actually a GnR fan...? 

Of course - Estranged, Madagascar, The Blues (01) and Better are among my favorite songs of all time.

11 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Better will likley be on the new album too

I think it will too.

Judging from Hard Skool and Absurd, it looks like they've picked songs that were written mostly by Axl, or Dizzy had a part in writing them, and could be redone to the point where they don't have to give writing credits to former members. If that's a plan and not just a coincidence, I guess Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps fall in this category, too, but I don't see how songs instrumentally written entirely by former members could fit in. So (and I'd speculated on this before Absurd and HS), although there may be an album of CD leftovers, it won't necessarily be what was intended to be released as "CD2".

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Is it ridiculous to say I'd be bummed out at only getting 10 songs?! They'd better all be a 10 minute opus! (they can just loop Absurd another three times!)

I'll take anything we can get but I'm pleased at whatever will be released will essentially be the follow up that Axl always wanted for Chinese.

• Like 4