The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Not surprising at all. I can't even say it's disappointing because I honestly have stopped expecting anything of GNR. If anything happens, great. And if not, life goes on just the same. It's long past the point for anyone to expect normalcy from this band, it's been dysfunctional since after Appetite was recorded. They're lucky they were able to get it together long enough to record the illusions and put them out. but Axl's way of making(and not releasing) music has been one way for 25 years and it surely wasn't gonna change now that he's an old man nearing 60. 

Edited by NicDwolfwood
  • Like 3

Just now, gavgnr said:

I know I’m in the minority here, but I say get Bucket, Finck and Brian back and release CD2

Everyone in GNR has left or been fired by one red head maniac just because they wanted to release music or function like a band.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

This made me laugh out loud to the point my girlfriend thought something was wrong with me lol

I lol'd as well. 

The only way I could see Better being on the next GN'R album is if it's a live album. 

• Haha 1

I think that's the reality of the band now. Axl only getting stuff reworked by Slash and Duff. And then allowing them to do their own thing with their bands and solo records. Slash and Duff get their GN'R money, then release new music with other people to get that "new music" shit out of their systems. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I wonder if this interview becomes problematic if it gets back to Axl. I was shocked how Slash so easily admitted this instead of giving the usual programmed gnr response. Yea we’ve been working on a bunch of stuff and just trying to figure out how to release in these times of 2021

That's an interesting thought actually. It could well cause some ripples as it's definitely some very clear answers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, they have their own projects to go to and write the way they want to.

Axl and Slash/Duff have been used to working in very different ways. Axl likely hasn't written in the "traditional" or so called "organic" way (or at least by "sitting as a band" and jamming) since the Illusions. He probably wrote some things on his own or with Tobias and, other than that, he mostly operated like a producer, having the members send him tapes of what they'd done, giving directions on how this or that part should be changed and then crafting songs by combining parts. That's how CD was created.

So, although I was hoping for at least one new song, I'm not surprised to hear that they haven't even gotten in the process of trying to write something new together. Maybe they are all afraid of it.

The big 3 have not written a song since 1989-90, so I would say that there is some fear involved in the lack of recording new material. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I wonder if this interview becomes problematic if it gets back to Axl. I was shocked how Slash so easily admitted this instead of giving the usual programmed gnr response. Yea we’ve been working on a bunch of stuff and just trying to figure out how to release in these times of 2021

It is first time Slash is very straight.

Not gonna lie this news is pretty disappointing. Honestly this is why I mostly avoided the leaks, because I kinda figured that this is what would happen with those songs and I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment later.  I listened to them all but not to the point I can even remember how they go.

Could be why I enjoyed hard skool so much (because I really like it a lot.)

Hopefully, no matter what they are doing, it comes out soon 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

This made me laugh out loud to the point my girlfriend thought something was wrong with me lol

Why - there is much more chance of Better being on the album, than a Buckethead instrumental completely untouched by Axl (like Zodiac, D-Tune, Curly Shuffle, Prom Vilence etc)

Axl I imagine was hoping one day he would complete the rest of his grand opus, however as time went on it seems he realized he could not sing at the magnitude necessary. Hoping one day his vocal skills would replenish. I suppose that day has never come…will never come…. 

4 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

I agree about the general, i hear people say its the next part to estranged, iv also heard it was written by one of the old members about kfc or one of those chicken places, i just never understood how people can get so excited over a song we know nothing about other than a poor quality phone clip, if its anything like absurd, hard school or even atlas then its not for me lol 

Exactly, according to Brain - Brain and his friend wrote the song, and called it The General after General Tso's Chicken.

The bits we heard, and the constructed version by Evader sound like it may have some promise - but the likelihood is its a complete throwaway like Atlas, Riad, Scraped etc.  I'd be staggered if it was as good as IRS even.

4 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Hey I’ll take that if you guarantee me OMG makes the cut lol

I'd say if an album ever did come out, it's pretty guaranteed OMG will be on it, as it's one of the few remaining songs he actually finished his part on.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Judging from Hard Skool and Absurd, it looks like they've picked songs that were written mostly by Axl, or Dizzy had a part in writing them, and could be redone to the point where they don't have to give writing credits to former members. If that's a plan and not just a coincidence, I guess Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps fall in this category, too, but I don't see how songs instrumentally written entirely by former members could fit in. So (and I'd speculated on this before Absurd and HS), although there may be an album of CD leftovers, it won't necessarily be what was intended to be released as "CD2".

I think they've picked sings Rose had existing vocals for - so the choices were Silkworms, HardSkool, Perhaps or Atlas.

Also, I think Slash knows any instrumental he hands over to Rose is lost forever, so that's why he's agreed to just work on existing material.

And I think you're right, they are not going to now pick up Buckethead instrumentals (Zodiac, DF-Tune, Prom Violence, Curtly Shuffle etc) and create songs out of those - so the project likely started and ended with Absurd and HardSkool.  I believe Atlas and maybe Perhaps were also worked on and they'll be used to secure the next tour guarantee.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Axl I imagine was hoping one day he would complete the rest of his grand opus, however as time went on it seems he realized he could not sing at the magnitude necessary. Hoping one day his vocal skills would replenish. I suppose that day has never come…will never come…. 

I agree with this and I also think it MIGHT have been completed had the reunion never happened. Now Slash and Duff are back that in itself is enough to maintain people’s interest and sell concert tickets, which appears to be Axl’s main concern. I don’t think he has any intention of returning to a recording studio ever again. Slash has pretty much confirmed my suspicions now too.

I think Hard Skool is great but Silkworms/Absurd wasn't anything that was so brilliant it had to see the light of day. 

Slash and Duff re-joining GNR and playing with old Chinese Democracy demos with no firm commitment to a new album suggests there's something they're working around. 

Did Slash imply that nothing was done with GN’R? He implied that nothing new has been written, but that recording the old stuff is it’s own thing. Like as in, that will come out first before writing new songs. That isn’t necessarily bad, it just means that Axl wants that out first.

And maybe the re-recording of the CD2 stuff is complete?

• Like 2