The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Absolutely. I never wanted this semi-reunion to begin with. 

Seems to me they all left Axl and likely have no desire to ever rejoin because his operation sans Slash/Duff was really a mess that was playing to rapidly diminishing returns. He’s already seemingly quit being a recording artist long ago. If they leave again he may quit even playing live. He has enough money now to disappear and do whatever he does everyday forever. 

• Like 1

This is all very strange. Last year slash made it sound like they were writing some new stuff, but this new interview completely contradicts that. I guess whatever they may have had in 2016-2020 got scrapped. Guess Axl didn’t like any of it.

The good news tho is that in this new interview Slash makes it sound like he and Duff worked on a whole bunch of ChiDem leftovers, not just Absurd and HS. That’s a little comforting, at least. Wonder what’ll come of all that. Album? More EPs? Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

This is all very strange. Last year slash made it sound like they were writing some new stuff, but this new interview completely contradicts that. I guess whatever they may have had in 2016-2020 got scrapped. Guess Axl didn’t like any of it.

The good news tho is that in this new interview Slash makes it sound like he and Duff worked on a whole bunch of ChiDem leftovers, not just Absurd and HS. That’s a little comforting, at least. Wonder what’ll come of all that. Album? More EPs? Only time will tell.

Well, Slash said he was writing new stuff. I guess they found a nice home next to DJ's 12 demos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Well, Slash said he was writing new stuff. I guess they found a nice home next to DJ's 12 demos.

Maybe when Slash leaves DJ can come back and rerecord Slash's demos.

2 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Seems to me they all left Axl and likely have no desire to ever rejoin because his operation sans Slash/Duff was really a mess that was playing to rapidly diminishing returns. He’s already seemingly quit being a recording artist long ago. If they leave again he may quit even playing live. He has enough money now to disappear and do whatever he does everyday forever. 

They aren't exactly getting any younger.  I think they ride this reunion together another 5-10 years and call it a day. Maybe 15.  Maybe do some shows here and there, but I can't imagine this touring machine can go on much longer.  Especially the way they tour, for their age they do a ton of shows.  All around the world too.

I think we get CD2 with Slash and Duff, a UYI box set, a live album and then one final album from them with newly recorded stuff and then they retire sometime between 2030-2035.

51 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, it is unfortunate the various lineups weren't able to keep it together. No doubt this is mostly Axl's fault. And for each new lineup iteration I assume it gets harder to release material that was written with a previous lineup - both because Axl wants the current band members to be part of a release and because writing credits (and compensation) becomes so complicated. Which is why I didn't want the pseudo-reunion; I don't care for nostalgia and I considered the likelihood of seeing CD2 less, or at least that it would be delayed until the cashgrab, nostalgia tour had run its course. The fact that the three have decided to work on unreleased CD songs surprised me, and I will absolutely take it - better than this music not getting released at all. Still, my pipe dream would have been for Axl to release this music with as little tinkering as possible, with the original artists, regardless of whether it would never be toured by them.

As for Axl having quit being a recording artist. Who knows? I am not saying it isn't at all unlikely but we can't rule it out entirely, I think.  don't find it very surprising the triumvirate won't write music together. Except for back in the 80s, they have never really been good at that. They tried hard in the 90s and it failed spectacularly. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they all agreed not to try that again, lest they risk ruining the ongoing profitable tour from fights stemming from writing sessions. So maybe it was an understanding they would never attempt writing original music together, but that Slash and Duff were willing to add tracks to existing songs. Minimal effort and Axl wouldn't really have to get involved - so no fights and hassle. But again, this doesn't mean Axl aren't interested in writing and recording music, he probably just wants to be in control of it entirely now, and be able to create exactly the music he wants to create. Unfortunately for us, that's a glacial process and we might never hear anything new and original from him that was written after 2016 (2010?, 2006?). But again, who knows? Axl changes a lot and surprises me even more often. Maybe he finds a muse, a collaborator, a direction, and something might come out of it. 

So what do I hope for? Well, I look forward to hearing the rest of the music they have worked on. I think there are some absolute gems in the Village sessions and I find it likely there are quite a few additional songs we have never heard of that was made after 1999, and which Slash and Duff may have added onto. I also agree with Blackstar that the most likely candidates are songs that Axl mainly wrote himself, to avoid royalties. Still, I am sure there are quite a few really good songs there and I look forward to hearing Slash and Duff's additions. Then I hope Axl will revisit the best of the remaining material and get it out and compensate those who helped make that music - Tommy, Josh, Robin, Bucket, Chris, etc. They deserve to get more out of the years spent recording and writing. They believed in Axl and his vision and they loyalty and dedication should be rewarded. It is the decent thing to do. And then I hope Axl finds the inspiration to make new music, whether as part of GN'R or from some other outlet. Do I find this all likely? Not really - but Axl and GN'R always surprise me in so many ways. I stopped expecting stuff from this band decades ago, now I just take what I get with happiness and enjoy the crazy ride its been.

I don’t disagree on most of that, but unfortunately I just think Axl is riding off into the sunset at this point so to speak. That’s what virtually all the evidence says to me. There’s no grand plan or whatever that many (including myself) believed for so many years. He seemingly gave up on whatever his masterplan was years ago due to people continually bolting, negative feedback, personal issues and the always lurking fact that most people just wanted him and Slash back together because that was the perceived/real magic that people (the music world) bought into when they made them so famous many years ago. I think his main (but economically understandable) mistake was to keep the GNR name going when he was the only one that mattered left. His vision was likely always going to fail because of that sole fact. He could’ve kept control of the name so others couldn’t use it but went solo himself. I think it would’ve been the smart move artistically. He didn’t though and eventually acquiesced to public demand. I think he did so for money but also because he already decided to throw in the towel so to speak on whatever he was trying to prove/accomplish. Now he tours and lets others tinker with tunes he already put vocals on to keep the train rolling. Things could always change but at this point it’s highly unlikely considering who we’re talking about. Once he makes his mind up it takes 20 years to realize there may have been a better way. Unfortunately there isn’t that much time left in this production. 

11 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

What kind of stuff do you have to smoke to come to that conclusion?

I can’t see touring going beyond the next few years. I’m seeing them next year on the basis it might be the last time I get the chance to.

Why the negativity? Slash said alot of material is recorded, we all knew based on the two first singles that the new album will consist of old material.

Axl has worked so hard for this material and he wont scrap material from his most creative period. 

Some of us had hoped for some brand new songs, but guess he wants to clean out the closet first.

Maybe a release of old material will create a spark for writi g new material with Slash

That said, I think there will be material we never have heard on the new record

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash was clear in this interview about what they haven't done, but he was also very clear about what they have done:  they have redone a lot of Axl's material. He said "a lot", not "some", and by all definitions "a lot" means more than four songs.

I think he's deflecting.  I think they did 4.  5 max if they did OMG.

You think more?

When Summer 22 passes without 'a lot' what will you think?

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The only time I recall he alluded to something like that is when he said he had "jammed" with Axl during lockdown. He didn't say anything about giving material to Axl.

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Nothing strange about it.

"Plans change".

When Rose reached out, there was probably the promise of 'new' songs.  When they negotiated with Live Nation on tour guarantee, there was probably the promise of 'new' songs.

I doubt he told Slash he'd be re-recording Silkworms.

Slash went along with it according to earlier interviews.  The last interview indicated he's accepted there is nothing new forthcoming.

6 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Did Slash imply that nothing was done with GN’R? He implied that nothing new has been written, but that recording the old stuff is it’s own thing. Like as in, that will come out first before writing new songs. That isn’t necessarily bad, it just means that Axl wants that out first.

And maybe the re-recording of the CD2 stuff is complete?

I keep alluding to this.

Pure Stockholm Syndrome.

It's abundantly clear Rose will not record new songs, so they release old demos, and people will STILL claim this is deliberate to pave the way for brand new songs.

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Exactly.  I imagine Buckethead is pretty annoyed giving over a load of cool instrumentals 20 years ago, knowing they are untouched.

53 minutes ago, Pele said:

I think he's deflecting.  I think they did 4.  5 max if they did OMG.

You think more?

When Summer 22 passes without 'a lot' what will you think?

I won't think much. I'll enjoy what they'll release if I think it's good. And if I don't think it's good, I'm not that emotionally invested to feel "let down" just because they'll have released something I don't like.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

I don’t disagree on most of that, but unfortunately I just think Axl is riding off into the sunset at this point so to speak. That’s what virtually all the evidence says to me. There’s no grand plan or whatever that many (including myself) believed for so many years. He seemingly gave up on whatever his masterplan was years ago due to people continually bolting, negative feedback, personal issues and the always lurking fact that most people just wanted him and Slash back together because that was the perceived/real magic that people (the music world) bought into when they made them so famous many years ago. I think his main (but economically understandable) mistake was to keep the GNR name going when he was the only one that mattered left. His vision was likely always going to fail because of that sole fact. He could’ve kept control of the name so others couldn’t use it but went solo himself. I think it would’ve been the smart move artistically. He didn’t though and eventually acquiesced to public demand. I think he did so for money but also because he already decided to throw in the towel so to speak on whatever he was trying to prove/accomplish. Now he tours and lets others tinker with tunes he already put vocals on to keep the train rolling. Things could always change but at this point it’s highly unlikely considering who we’re talking about. Once he makes his mind up it takes 20 years to realize there may have been a better way. Unfortunately there isn’t that much time left in this production. 

Good post.

The 'grand plan' was 99-01 where he had about 10 songs done, with another 30 or so instrumentals to work on.

His enthusiasm and creativity dried up and band members left one by one.

In 05-06, he got his spark back, got in shape, had a new band.  The 'grand plan' then was to finish the album which they did.

All of those instrumentals remain untouched.

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I won't think much. I'll enjoy what they'll release if I think it's good. And if I don't think it's good, I'm not that emotionally invested to feel "let down" just because they'll released something I don't like.

But you've already thought about it.

You made a detailed post recently saying you now expect Summer 22 for the new album.

You're taking these lies and believing them.

You've taken Slash saying 'a lot' literally, so you will feel let down when that 'lot' inevitably turns out to be Absurd, HardSkool, Perhaps, Atlas.

And that 'release' will likely be in EP form to promote the next cash grab tour.

Edited by Pele

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I said that summer 2022 makes the most sense for a release, even though GnR don't always do things that make sense.

And, unlike you, I have no reason to think that Slash lied about the quantity of the material, because my thoughts and estimations are not a result of either wishful thinking or defense mechanisms.

And if (when) we are deep into 2023, with only Atlas and Perhaps coming out, will you accept he lied or will you still think they have a full albums worth of material but they 'are trying to figure out how to release it' (whilst having no issues releasing stuff with his other projects)?

And will you think it's pure coincidence that the 4 that have been released are the 4 we know Rose had already completed his vocals on?

Edited by Pele
I called Rose 'Axl' by mistake

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

And when we are deep into 2023, with only Atlas and Perhaps coming out, will you accept he lied or will you still think they have a full albums worth of material but they 'are trying to figure out how to release it' (whilst having no issues releasing stuff with his other projects)?

2023 is too far ahead. What I will think depends on what other real information we'll have by then.

Now your turn: what will you think if they'll have released more than Atlas, Perhaps (and OMG) by 2023? Do you at least promise to stop calling Axl "Rose"? :lol:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

2023 is too far ahead. What I will think depends on what other real information we'll have by then.

Now your turn: what will you think if they'll have released more than Atlas, Perhaps (and OMG) by 2023? Do you at least promise to stop calling Axl "Rose"? :lol:

I can't promise that!!

But yeah - if they release other songs imminently, then I'd concede I was 100% wrong and Rose had written and recorded more than I thought.  I'd apologize for being wrong and hope that people were kind enough to let me continue to exist on the forum.

I believe there is zero chance of that, but contrary to what everyone may think, I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I’ll take a reworked album at this point because it seems that’s all we have to reasonably maybe expect. With that said, this is all depressing to me.  They got back together 5 years ago when Axl theoretically still had some lead left in the pencil. He’s months away from 60 and they haven’t even tried writing or recording new music.  One of the greatest rock bands ever essentially wasted 20 years of their prime..then finally kinda got back together and wasted 5+ years of that regarding new tunes. At this point not only is it unlikely to change but it’s probably too late anyways for anything worthwhile. Axl can barely pull off half the live set let alone create cool new shit assuming he even had the desire to try. Like I mentioned earlier…F’ing depressing. 

• GNFNR 1

Am I the only one who is excited that Axl has probably given Slash more or less carte blanche to contribute guitar parts or rearrange parts on songs that were probably already finished? It symbolizes a sense of trust, which is a good thing. Back when Axl did that interview with Del James, he was still talking about not being too much into Slash's guitar playing anymore and now he most likely lets him contribute and play on all his songs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There was a reason the AFD/UYI lineup weren't able to make new music together and fell apart. That reason still existing shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The passing of a large amount of time doesn't necessarily change anything. 

Not really. The issue then was mostly youngish guys coming into fame & fortune and the resulting personality and power clashes. This is something else IMO. One of the guys gave up.