The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Am I the only one who is excited that Axl has probably given Slash more or less carte blanche to contribute guitar parts or rearrange parts on songs that were probably already finished? It symbolizes a sense of trust, which is a good thing. Back when Axl did that interview with Del James, he was still talking about not being too much into Slash's guitar playing anymore and now he most likely lets him contribute and play on all his songs.

In theory I find that promising as well (to at least get some stuff released), but the question to me is how many songs are even left if Axl isn’t going to work on them? I’d hope at least 10+ but the first release being Absurd doesn’t fill me with confidence. That seems more like scraping the bottom of the barrel.

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Am I the only one who is excited that Axl has probably given Slash more or less carte blanche to contribute guitar parts or rearrange parts on songs that were probably already finished? It symbolizes a sense of trust, which is a good thing. Back when Axl did that interview with Del James, he was still talking about not being too much into Slash's guitar playing anymore and now he most likely lets him contribute and play on all his songs.

Haha please.  He is giving him 'carte blanche' to record over the 4-5 songs he has already completed his vocal work on.

Songs that were left off Chinese Democracy.

He doesn't care at this point.  He just needed 'new' songs to promote the tour so he let Slash riff over the Silkworms and HardSkool demos.

The Stockholm Syndrome is unbelievable here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

In theory I find that promising as well (to at least get some stuff released), but the question to me is how many songs are even left if Axl isn’t going to work on them? I’d hope at least 10+ but the first release being Absurd doesn’t fill me with confidence. That seems more like scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Of course.  You can check that all the way back to 20 years ago, when they debuted their new songs and they played Silkworms and Riad.

At that point, it was clear at that point there was going to be some good songs (Madagascar, The Blues) but the fact they were playing Silkworms, Riad, OMG and the decent but ordinary Chinese Democracy made it abundantly clear there wasn't going to be 70 songs or whatever people were claiming at that point.

Everyone knows he is capable of brilliance, but it's very infrequent.  Silkworms told me 20 years ago that there wasn't much in the well.  Silkworms told us all this year that the well was dry.

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Haha please.  He is giving him 'carte blanche' to record over the 4-5 songs he has already completed his vocal work on.

I know, you said this about a thousand times already.

Seriously, what is it with you? When will you finally understand that not everyone cares that these are old songs?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Not really. The issue then was mostly youngish guys coming into fame & fortune and the resulting personality and power clashes. This is something else IMO. One of the guys gave up.

So you believe they have grown out of their personality and power clashes? If so, why do you believe this? It's not like they were in their teens when they broke up. They were grown men who couldn't work together for a myriad of reasons. I am not saying these reasons can't have disappeared, I am saying that no one should be surprised if they haven't. When the "reunion" was announced people let their hopes run away with them. People expected the live shows to be a lot better and that the band would release great music again as if it was 1987 all over.

18 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah, I don't know either. But if the vocals were already recorded years ago and Axl is happy with it, then I don't see a reason why he should have to re-record them now just because it will be more recent. Makes no sense to me. If it's good it's good.

Edited by EvanG

20 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I know, you said this about a thousand times already.

Seriously, what is it with you? When will you finally understand that not everyone cares that these are old songs?

Everyone knows they are old songs.  That's not the point.

People still, unbelievably, see this as some sort of 'proof' that new songs are going to come.

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Everyone knows they are old songs.  That's not the point.

People still, unbelievably, see this as some sort of 'proof' that new songs are going to come.

Who cares? Let them believe what they want. Maybe there will, maybe there won't. Why do you get so worked up about this?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Maybe when Slash leaves DJ can come back and rerecord Slash's demos.

They aren't exactly getting any younger.  I think they ride this reunion together another 5-10 years and call it a day. Maybe 15.  Maybe do some shows here and there, but I can't imagine this touring machine can go on much longer.  Especially the way they tour, for their age they do a ton of shows.  All around the world too.

I think we get CD2 with Slash and Duff, a UYI box set, a live album and then one final album from them with newly recorded stuff and then they retire sometime between 2030-2035.

I hope this post was written as ironic parody... Five, ten, or FIFTEEN years?

Axl singing Jungle at 75?

CD2 AND a new album?

What are you smoking, and can I have some?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So you believe they have grown out of their personality and power clashes? If so, why do you believe this? It's not like they were in their teens when they broke up. They were grown men who couldn't work together for a myriad of reasons. I am not saying these reasons can't have disappeared, I am saying that no one should be surprised if they haven't. When the "reunion" was announced people let their hopes run away with them. People expected the live shows to be a lot better and that the band would release great music again as if it was 1987 all over.

A lot of those reasons were substance/alcohol based I guess so I suppose people thought they were older, wiser etc? 

I think you touched on a really interesting point in an earlier post actually- the idea that the reunion just kicked the ball a lot further down the road in terms of music. 

Personally I can't say I'm surprised that the band have written nothing new together, and a lot of expectations were unrealistic....but I also get that people hoped things would be different. 

Those unrealistic expectations still exist though- the idea that CD2 (for want of a better name to describe it) will be quickly followed up by an all new album is, to me, totally unrealistic.

The speed they work at (even tarting up Absurd and Hardskool for release has taken 5 or 6 years) tells us that time is not on their side and that we have most likely seen the last of Axl hitting a recording studio in any meaningful sense. 

I think these are now just things each and every fan has to accept. We MIGHT get CD2, we WILL get extensive touring of it for many years, seem to be the lay of the land. 

Accepting that, whether fans like it or not, seems the most logical thing to do. 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

A lot of those reasons were substance/alcohol based I guess so I suppose people thought they were older, wiser etc? 

I think you touched on a really interesting point in an earlier post actually- the idea that the reunion just kicked the ball a lot further down the road in terms of music. 

Personally I can't say I'm surprised that the band have written nothing new together, and a lot of expectations were unrealistic....but I also get that people hoped things would be different. 

Those unrealistic expectations still exist though- the idea that CD2 (for want of a better name to describe it) will be quickly followed up by an all new album is, to me, totally unrealistic.

The speed they work at (even tarting up Absurd and Hardskool for release has taken 5 or 6 years) tells us that time is not on their side and that we have most likely seen the last of Axl hitting a recording studio in any meaningful sense. 

I think these are now just things each and every fan has to accept. We MIGHT get CD2, we WILL get extensive touring of it for many years, seem to be the lay of the land. 

Accepting that, whether fans like it or not, seems the most logical thing to do. 

Agreed.

Slash has confirmed now there are no new songs.

Thinking Rose has all of a sudden picked up a Buckethead instrumental and asked the band to work on it is equally unrealistic.

Asking Slash to give Rose an instrumental knowing he wont add lyrics is also unrealistic.

They have Atlas, Perhaps and OMG.  Maybe The General if the vocals are use-able.

Edited by Pele

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, this is really something worth noting that has been overlooked and lost in the whole discussion. Although they've been working only on old songs (and haven't tried to write anything brand new, as some of us were hoping), the process is not the same as with previous lineups. It's not Slash adding layers; Axl has trusted Slash and Duff to do what they want with these songs. And I don't think it could have worked otherwise, so it's a good thing that they've managed to find a way, as unorthodox as it might be, to work together.

I listened to a Brain interview from 2018, and he said that Axl told him he was very happy with what Slash and Duff had done with Better live, so I guess he was pleased with the way they approached some CD songs.

(Brain was also asked if he was surprised by the reunion, and he interestingly said he wasn't that much, because Axl had told him that he might do it sometime).

I'd respectfully disagree.  HardSkool and Silkworms are still the same song in essence.  Silkworms sounds exactly like what it is - a demo given to a guitarist to riff over.   It's the same song.

HardSkool too.  It's exactly the same - the intro has gone, the solo has changed but it's the same song.  You could now give it to another guitarist and get the same result - same song with different intro and solo.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

Agreed.

Slash has confirmed now there are no new songs.

Thinking Rose has all of a sudden picked up a Buckethead instrumental and asked the band to work on it is equally unrealistic.

Asking Slash to give Rose an instrumental knowing he wont add lyrics is also unrealistic.

They have Atlas, Perhaps and OMG.  Maybe The General if the vocals are use-able.

Accepting that is where people have to be though. And most people are at that stage now. If they're not ....well it's on them.

It's the same as thinking that Adler and Izzy are back every leg of the tour when they use the AFD cross to me. If people want to leap to these wild conclusions based on nothing.....the disappointment is all their own. 

I'll be happy to get CD2 if it happens. 

Edited by allwaystired

Just now, gnrjanus said:

So in the oven is actualy

Eye on you reworked, 

Atlas prob

Perhaps. 

Well at least it's something

Atlas, Perhaps, The General and OMG probably.

Snippets of 'Eye on You' were used in HardSkool (as asking the singer to sing new parts was too much obviously).

It was an absolute joke of a song anyway, so hopefully abandoned, although that didn't stop him with Silkworms.  If he needs a 'new' song after he's given Atlas and Perhaps, I genuinely wouldn't put it past him to submit that crap with a Slash solo pasted in.

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

As far as Slash and Duff leaving because they were frustrated with the band and Axl, I don't think that had anything to do with drugs or booze. 

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

The irony is that the discussion about new songs being old and the "Axl doesn't have anything" is literally older than some of the users here.

The bizarre thing is people think he has hoards of unreleased material, and it's co-incidence that the 'new' songs are 2 of the 4 he completed vocals 20 years ago.

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

The irony is that the discussion about new songs being old and the "Axl doesn't have anything" is literally older than some of the users here.

Terminator/superbowl/AFD cross being used/photo of amp in studio/fake press release. 

Rinse and repeat! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As far as Slash and Duff leaving because they were frustrated with the band and Axl, I don't think that had anything to do with drugs or booze. 

I think it's different now.  They are older, wiser etc.  Axl seems more chilled.  It's a paid gig.  Slash and Duff know they can write songs for their side projects, as Rose isn't intending to write/record.

It's a cash grab, but they keep up a vague pretense that there might be an album do dangle a carrot for investors, promoters, agents, fans etc. 

Edited by Pele

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know. It can't have helped really! Their minds will have been all over the place, their patience thin, all that sort of stuff. I would guess it probably played a large part, even if not on the surface. 

I empthasize my use of the word 'guess' there- I'm speculating of course. 

1 minute ago, Pele said:

I think it's different now.  They are older, wiser etc.  Axl seems more chilled.  It's a paid gig.  Slash and Duff know they can write songs for their side projects, as Rose isn't intending to write/record.

Could be. But the fact that they haven't managed to write anything together over these last 5 years suggests otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't know. It can't have helped really! Their minds will have been all over the place, their patience thin, all that sort of stuff. I would guess it probably played a large part, even if not on the surface. 

I empthasize my use of the word 'guess' there- I'm speculating of course. 

As you know, I have written about this, and as far as Slash leaving it came down to frustrations with Axl and a need to do something and not just wait. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Could be. But the fact that they haven't managed to write anything together over these last 5 years suggests otherwise. 

As you know, I have written about this, and as far as Slash leaving it came down to frustrations with Axl and a need to do something and not just wait. 

Oh yeah, totally. But I do wonder how much impact substances played in that. If he had been straight, might he have thought 'ah fuck it', carried on touring with GNR for the money and put his creative attentions into solo output, much as he is doing now? 

I'd say it's fairly likely. We'll never know though. Can't say I blame him for being frustrated though! 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Oh yeah, totally. But I do wonder how much impact substances played in that. If he had been straight, might he have thought 'ah fuck it', carried on touring with GNR for the money and put his creative attentions into solo output, much as he is doing now? 

I'd say it's fairly likely. We'll never know though. Can't say I blame him for being frustrated though! 

He was actually sober at the time, or trying to avoid smack, and staying in LA waiting for Axl was dangerous to him. He first tried to get them back on the road to tour Spaghetti, but Axl didn't want to do that. He then did Blues Balls and Snakepit ver 1 just to keep moving and get aeay, and gradually realized he didn't need GN'R.