The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

There may be some sort of live release eventually, but there will never be a "new" GN'R album, with original material created by the current line-up- I dont understand why that is so hard for some of you to understand.  Slash just confirmed it.  Its over.  Move on....

4 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I know it's disappointing that the new album is going to be CD2 with Slash and Duff overdubs, but is it possible this was their idea?

Maybe after hearing Axl's demos they wanted to help him finish it.  Maybe they felt bad for him, or maybe they like the work and believe in it.  Slash and Duff have been on record as liking CD. 

Everyone thinks it's Axl being lazy but maybe at the end of the day it's Slash and Duff helping out their friend.  Idk.  Just playing devil's advocate.

That’s something that’s went through ma head a few times in the past few months. I don’t know how close Axl was to having an album finished in 2014 but Slash and Duff seem like the people that would come in and say “if that was your plan before we rejoined then that’s what we’ll do.” At the end of the day as much as it’s a reunion I guess it’s still a continuation of GNR. Slash has SMKC as a new music output for some of his ideas so that probably means he’s more willing to work away with the old material with GNR. It’s not ideal as I think they could still bring some half decent songs to the table but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Well this latest news from Slash all but confirms there will never likely be a new GNR album. This is just a train ride into retirement now. Will hopefully sell my Glasgow golden circle ticket next year to somebody else. To not manage to write one single song together in 5 years is just ridiculous.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You have also stated that Axl hasn't recorded any new vocals that we don't know of after 1999. 

And it is not true that you "categorically state [...your] belief". What you do is categorically express your opinions as if they were facts, presumably to make you come across as an insider.

There is nothing wrong in believing Axl hasn't recorded anything we don't know of since 1999. Fine. I find it implausible but stranger things have happened. What is weird is to build your forum persona around stating this pet theory as if it is a fact over and over again in numerous threads. 

He recorded vocals for Shackers well after 1999, so Pele is talking shit

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tommyrai said:

Was Shacklers 2007? He recorded with Bach then ?

It was about the Virginia Tech Shooting that occurred in 2007.

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Who would have thought it…ABBA have just released a single originally conceived in 1979. They have kept the vocals from 1979 but added new instrumentation……🤣

"Just A Notion" is a song by the Swedish pop music group ABBA that was released as a single on 22 October 2021.[2] Originally written and produced for the group's 1979 album Voulez-Vous, it was released over forty-three years later. It is the third single to be released from ABBA's 2021 album Voyage following the singles "Don't Shut Me Down" and "I Still Have Faith in You". "Just a Notion" retains its vocals from 1978 but includes updated instrumentals added much later.[3]

1999 vocals? Pfft - that’s nothing! 🤣🤣🤣

Ha, to be fair, the last single Guns issued before Absurd allegedly had modern instrumentation with a vocal take from 1986, so we're nearing that territory!

6 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Everyone thinks it's Axl being lazy but maybe at the end of the day it's Slash and Duff helping out their friend.  Idk.  Just playing devil's advocate.

Primarily the cynics think this is Axl being lazy. I think it's Axl wanting to release songs that probably mean a lot to him, and that were supposed to come out at one point or another with or without Slash and Duff.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Primarily the cynics think this is Axl being lazy. I think it's Axl wanting to release songs that probably mean a lot to him, and that were supposed to come out at one point or another with or without Slash and Duff.

So, there's no song that means a lot to him?

:drevil:

:P

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't remember that. I only remember this quote where he vaguely mentioned some "jams" but mostly Axl's material (it was early 2019 and obviously they hadn't started doing anything with it yet):

During an appearance earlier today (Friday, February 22) on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation", Duff McKagan said that a new Guns N' Roses album could happen in the not-too-distant future, remarking: "I heard some new material and there's been some jams going around, and that's the next step for us, for the GN'R thing."
Asked by host Eddie Trunk "how real" the potential is for a new Guns N' Roses record, Duff replied: "Oh, it's real. But the fun part and the cool part about Guns N' Roses is we don't really talk about it, and what happens next just happens. It's never been that band that there's a direct schedule of how we do things. I've heard some magnificent stuff that Axl has — really cool stuff he'd been working on. So I'm excited about the possibilities with that, of course. I don't mean to get anybody rabid. It will happen when it happens, that's for sure."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3759-2019-02-22-siriusxm-s-trunk-nation-interview-with-duff

I seem to recall one interview where Duff mentioned that Axl had a lot of material, and that he himself (Duff) also has a fair bit of material that he was bringing in. That doesn't necessarily translate to actually contributing material towards a future release though. It could simply fall into the same basket as Slash recording ideas for GN'R. Can't find the interview now though, lol.

It all gets a little less annoying if we just realize that Axl is a semi-retired rock star, and not an artist anymore.

It's like Billy Joel - Billy Joel hasn't released a new album of pop songs since 1993. He's publicly stated that he has no desire to do so ever again - he doesn't think his new work would measure up and whatever creative desire he had to express himself through composing songs is gone. But the guy likes performing, and he's still capable of selling out stadiums and arenas, and so he does so. And no one begrudges him for it. That's Axl.

It's kinda hard to blame him - I might do the same thing. Harper Lee wrote one novel, made a lot of money off of it and just...lived her life. She tried to work on a follow-up, wasn't satisfied with it, and just said 'fuck it' and enjoyed her millions. If it were me, and I'd invented a massively successful product that just required a small update once a year or so and netted me 8 to 9 figures every so often, I wouldn't necessarily be in a rush to invent the new product. I'd just do a quick update, and then enjoy my beach house in Malibu.

That's Axl. He's a business man now. Absurd and Hard Skool are not creative endeavors - they are promotional events for a tour. They are something to make GNR pop up in whatever news aggregator someone is using to make them go "oh, Guns has a new song out? With *Slash*?! And they're coming to my town next week? Could be a fun Saturday night, I'll call a sitter." That's it! It's all just to give the tour a little jolt and keep the big money coming in so everyone can live a very cushy life.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with that! Good for him. 

But you just can't call it a creatively active band at this point. Polishing up the CD2 songs is cool and all, but it's not an artistic statement from the band. I'd even go so far as to say that it wouldn't even be an artistic statement from Axl. What would the statement be? "Here's how I felt 20 years ago?" Chinese Democracy seemed mostly aimed at an ex-girlfriend (likely Stephanie Seymour), his ex-bandmates, and the media who painted him as a villain. 15-20 years after those songs were recorded, he's reconciled with those bandmates and Axl, honestly, is kind of a media darling now. His press is definitely more positive than negative these days. So how relevant would these songs be, even to him?

This is a touring nostalgia act. And that's fine! They've made a lot of great songs. I still like hearing them. Axl's having a lot of fun. The band is rocking the fuck out. Even the "non-classic" band members are great - I love listening to Richard Fortus play. They're a good live show.

It's just disappointing because they could have been so much more. 

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

It's funny how they wrote so many great songs in such a short period of time (5/6 years I guess), something that other legendary bands might take 20 years, and then, almost nothing. GN'R was like the fat kid who ate the cake too fast on his birthday.

• Like 2

Not surprised at all that they haven't written material since they've reunited. Everything in the past has always said to me that Axl was pretty much going to release the tracks he has always wanted to release. Even interviews with Slash and Duff up until this point have pretty much confirmed that they are contributing to Axl's material. I don't understand why people are surprised. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It all gets a little less annoying if we just realize that Axl is a semi-retired rock star, and not an artist anymore.

It's like Billy Joel - Billy Joel hasn't released a new album of pop songs since 1993. He's publicly stated that he has no desire to do so ever again - he doesn't think his new work would measure up and whatever creative desire he had to express himself through composing songs is gone. But the guy likes performing, and he's still capable of selling out stadiums and arenas, and so he does so. And no one begrudges him for it. That's Axl.

It's kinda hard to blame him - I might do the same thing. Harper Lee wrote one novel, made a lot of money off of it and just...lived her life. She tried to work on a follow-up, wasn't satisfied with it, and just said 'fuck it' and enjoyed her millions. If it were me, and I'd invented a massively successful product that just required a small update once a year or so and netted me 8 to 9 figures every so often, I wouldn't necessarily be in a rush to invent the new product. I'd just do a quick update, and then enjoy my beach house in Malibu.

That's Axl. He's a business man now. Absurd and Hard Skool are not creative endeavors - they are promotional events for a tour. They are something to make GNR pop up in whatever news aggregator someone is using to make them go "oh, Guns has a new song out? With *Slash*?! And they're coming to my town next week? Could be a fun Saturday night, I'll call a sitter." That's it! It's all just to give the tour a little jolt and keep the big money coming in so everyone can live a very cushy life.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with that! Good for him. 

But you just can't call it a creatively active band at this point. Polishing up the CD2 songs is cool and all, but it's not an artistic statement from the band. I'd even go so far as to say that it wouldn't even be an artistic statement from Axl. What would the statement be? "Here's how I felt 20 years ago?" Chinese Democracy seemed mostly aimed at an ex-girlfriend (likely Stephanie Seymour), his ex-bandmates, and the media who painted him as a villain. 15-20 years after those songs were recorded, he's reconciled with those bandmates and Axl, honestly, is kind of a media darling now. His press is definitely more positive than negative these days. So how relevant would these songs be, even to him?

This is a touring nostalgia act. And that's fine! They've made a lot of great songs. I still like hearing them. Axl's having a lot of fun. The band is rocking the fuck out. Even the "non-classic" band members are great - I love listening to Richard Fortus play. They're a good live show.

It's just disappointing because they could have been so much more. 

Except that the Hard Skool release didn't help the tour at all, as it was near the ending. It could be used to help later tours that got postponed, sure, but we do know that the band rehearsed and intended to play both Absurd and Hard Skool since the first gig. We may had another batch of singles/new songs for other legs. 

And about how he felt 20 years ago: it's not just about telling a message. It's art, in the general meaning. He wrote Estranged thinking about Erin, but he wanted the clip with Stephanie, and then they broke up and Axl resignified the video to be about them. It's up to him, really. 

Also, now we're taking for granted, but from the technical standpoint, it's much easier to get the audio in pristine quality from 25 years ago and just reuse it on a PC as it was just recorded. It really doesn't make sense to think he had all of those ideas stored in some external drive and  discard it all because people didn't like what he did even before he release anything. And obviously, those were not just ex-members ideas, there were plenty of stuff that Axl himself wrote, and I'm not talking about lyrics and vocals. 

• Like 1

In my mind the most surprising thing about this news is just how many people pretended to not already know this was pretty much the case and now have to feign legitimate surprise and disappointment. Hoo boy. 😬

Edited by sofine11