The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

The Minister of Information for the Reich (Jarmo) has just thrown an enormous amount of shade at anyone expecting new music between now and next June when touring resumes. 

While I don’t think he’s in the loop regarding business decisions, I’m sure he’d have a good handle on if something big, like a surprise November release, was in the cards, if only to not seem “out of the loop.” …Bummer. 

image.png.a4f0b96e952edeb88ec24cf38c3a2f40.png

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He recorded vocals for Shackers well after 1999, so Pele is talking shit

I've said a million times there were vocals done in 05-06.

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, but Pele is talking about music we haven't heard yet. Pele's claim is that all vocals Axl has recorded after 1999 we have heard, either because it was released on CD or leaked (like The General or Going Down). He doesn't accept that Axl, in any of the recording sessions post 1999, adding vocals to other tracks than exactly those that was intended for CD or exactly those that we have been fortunate to hear through leaks. And as for Axl's own claim that he added vocals to Soul Monster, Pele has either claimed Axl was deliberately lying when he made that claim (because, you know, Axl tends to lie about such things :lol:) or that he just added partial vocals to the song (because, you know, that makes a lot of fucking sense :lol:). Basically, Pele refuses to believe something could exist that he hasn't heard. It's bizarre. It's a kind of megalomania. If Pele hasn't heard it, it doesn't exist. 

Well, when you hear it, I'll be wrong won't I?

When you hear it lol.

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

Primarily the cynics think this is Axl being lazy. I think it's Axl wanting to release songs that probably mean a lot to him, and that were supposed to come out at one point or another with or without Slash and Duff.

Haha yeah.

And by co-incidence, Silkworms means a lot to him and all the below didn't.  

PRL / Mustache / QuickSong / Zodiac / Tonto / Real Doll / Me & My Elvis / Soul Monster / Circus Maximus / Seven / D-Tune / Curly Shuffle / Nothing / As It Began / Thyme / Leave Me Alone / The Rebel / Billionaire / Dub Suplex / Devious Bastard / Dummy

What a co-incidence.  A dreadful song that he happened to finish the vocal on means more to him than any other....

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I seem to recall one interview where Duff mentioned that Axl had a lot of material, and that he himself (Duff) also has a fair bit of material that he was bringing in. That doesn't necessarily translate to actually contributing material towards a future release though. It could simply fall into the same basket as Slash recording ideas for GN'R. Can't find the interview now though, lol.

In 1996, the material Axl 'had' was mainly instrumentals written by Huge/Reed.

In 99-01 the bulk of the material Axl had was mainly instrumentals written by Huge/Reed/Brain/Bucket/Robin/Freese etc.

3 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It all gets a little less annoying if we just realize that Axl is a semi-retired rock star, and not an artist anymore.

It's like Billy Joel - Billy Joel hasn't released a new album of pop songs since 1993. He's publicly stated that he has no desire to do so ever again - he doesn't think his new work would measure up and whatever creative desire he had to express himself through composing songs is gone. But the guy likes performing, and he's still capable of selling out stadiums and arenas, and so he does so. And no one begrudges him for it. That's Axl.

It's kinda hard to blame him - I might do the same thing. Harper Lee wrote one novel, made a lot of money off of it and just...lived her life. She tried to work on a follow-up, wasn't satisfied with it, and just said 'fuck it' and enjoyed her millions. If it were me, and I'd invented a massively successful product that just required a small update once a year or so and netted me 8 to 9 figures every so often, I wouldn't necessarily be in a rush to invent the new product. I'd just do a quick update, and then enjoy my beach house in Malibu.

That's Axl. He's a business man now. Absurd and Hard Skool are not creative endeavors - they are promotional events for a tour. They are something to make GNR pop up in whatever news aggregator someone is using to make them go "oh, Guns has a new song out? With *Slash*?! And they're coming to my town next week? Could be a fun Saturday night, I'll call a sitter." That's it! It's all just to give the tour a little jolt and keep the big money coming in so everyone can live a very cushy life.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with that! Good for him. 

But you just can't call it a creatively active band at this point. Polishing up the CD2 songs is cool and all, but it's not an artistic statement from the band. I'd even go so far as to say that it wouldn't even be an artistic statement from Axl. What would the statement be? "Here's how I felt 20 years ago?" Chinese Democracy seemed mostly aimed at an ex-girlfriend (likely Stephanie Seymour), his ex-bandmates, and the media who painted him as a villain. 15-20 years after those songs were recorded, he's reconciled with those bandmates and Axl, honestly, is kind of a media darling now. His press is definitely more positive than negative these days. So how relevant would these songs be, even to him?

This is a touring nostalgia act. And that's fine! They've made a lot of great songs. I still like hearing them. Axl's having a lot of fun. The band is rocking the fuck out. Even the "non-classic" band members are great - I love listening to Richard Fortus play. They're a good live show.

It's just disappointing because they could have been so much more. 

It's exactly like Billy Joel.

The problem is - somebody (either Rose or Team Brazil) has not done what Billy Joel did and openly say he's not writing/recording/releasing new material.  They are actively mis-directing fans/promoters and dangling the carrot so people continue to 'support' the band.

In the thread "Did you buy Hardskool CD" - there are people in there who actually said they bought it to "support' the band and to "show appreciation".

If they came out and admitted there were no new albums/songs, would people really continue to spend their hard earned money on these garbage releases?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

In my mind the most surprising thing about this news is just how many people pretended to not already know this was pretty much the case and now have to feign legitimate surprise and disappointment. Hoo boy. 😬

Judging by the replies to my posts, I actually believe people did think that Rose was going to deliver a new album.

They do so little for you, that people genuinely lost their mind when Slash recorded a bit for Silkworms. 

• Like 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Eh, no, me hearing a specific song is not required for you being wrong. You either are wrong or aren't, regardless of me and what I get to hear.

But if you do hear one of those specific songs, I'll 100% be proven wrong.

You'll never hear those songs.

In about 5 years, I'd say the consensus will be I was probably right all along, with you and a few others talking about a possible 2026 release.

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

They do so little for you, that people genuinely lost their mind when Slash recorded a bit for Silkworms. 

Or people can enjoy things and can actually like something regardless of how you happen to feel about it. You seem to think that you're on some kind of horse looking down on everyone lol. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

Judging by the replies to my posts, I actually believe people did think that Rose was going to deliver a new album.

I meant the posters who are acting surprised/frustrated that the studio focus with Slash & Duff has been on the “CD2” material. 

Truth be told, I sincerely thought that the release of Absurd & Hard Skool mean a full on GNR album was “imminent”. Which, judging by J’s attitude noted above, may have been totally wrong. I’m a lot bummed by that. 

When all is said and done (we're not the only ones), I am pleased to have ABSURD and Hard Skool and see them as worthy additions to the Guns catalogue. As much as I wish Axl was more "normal" and wrote/recorded new shit like other bands, as long as I enjoy the stuff they put out and it comes out in a regular fashion, then I'm happy. Obviously, I would prefer an album, but two singles in one year is more than we've had in 10+yrs, and if we get another two next year I'll be happy. I will continue to follow/support this band all the while they are putting out official releases and don't particularly care when/how the songs came to fruition, providing they're musically pleasing to me. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Eh, yes, that's how logic works.

Must be frustrating?  All he needs to do is actually release one?  I wonder why he won't/can't?

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

When all is said and done (we're not the only ones), I am pleased to have ABSURD and Hard Skool and see them as worthy additions to the Guns catalogue. As much as I wish Axl was more "normal" and wrote/recorded new shit like other bands, as long as I enjoy the stuff they put out and it comes out in a regular fashion, then I'm happy. Obviously, I would prefer an album, but two singles in one year is more than we've had in 10+yrs, and if we get another two next year I'll be happy. I will continue to follow/support this band all the while they are putting out official releases and don't particularly care when/how the songs came to fruition, providing they're musically pleasing to me. 

That's all well and good.

If fans are happy with Silkworms, then where is the incentive to write good/new songs.

Looking forward to Atlas?

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

I go back and forth between this outlook and being super bummed they (now very likely) weren’t the prelude to a full album. 

If the “EP” thing had been common knowledge prior to the two songs dropping, it’d have kept expectations well in check as to where it was going, especially after so long without “new” GNR music…again. 😳

Now, with band management/communication/PR from the Guns camp being as completely impotent as it has been, we’ll likely have to shuffle through these next 9 months with no real updates as we come to the obvious knowledge that no large scale release is even a blip on the horizon. That shit ain’t cool.  And it would take minimal effort to fix.

12 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I generally agree with this. 

I'm actually happy with Absurd too, as unpopular as that may be. And I really like Hard Skool.

Two new singles a year would be a bit of a bummer but, again, I could live with it if, like you say, it comes out in a regular fashion.

But boy am I having a hard time believing we're getting another two songs next year. And if we are, I *really* hope it's not Atlas, Perhaps, SoG, or any of the other misfits on the Village Leaks because I don't hear anything else worth releasing there.

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

Primarily the cynics think this is Axl being lazy. I think it's Axl wanting to release songs that probably mean a lot to him, and that were supposed to come out at one point or another with or without Slash and Duff.

I mean... yeah he did the work, but when you record vocals 20yrs ago and don't re-record them when the rest of the track is getting updated it is a but lazy. 

As for him releasing the material for the Chinese follow up (not leftovers), I see no issue with that... but I just think more needs to be done than putting Slash on the song to give them another level of credibility. I completely get that he wants those songs out though, but the reception is gonna be quite mixed when people realise Slash/ Axl / Duff have not written together at all for the new gnr record.... I mean it sounds like the prospect of even getting cdII material is also a bit pie in the sky now. We went from "I think it's coming next year around the summer tour" back to "I don't think it's happening next year". This fucking band😄

• GNFNR 1

Just now, Tom2112 said:

I mean... yeah he did the work, but when you record vocals 20yrs ago and don't re-record them when the rest of the track is getting updated it is a but lazy. 

As for him releasing the material for the Chinese follow up (not leftovers), I see no issue with that... but I just think more needs to be done than putting Slash on the song to give them another level of credibility. I completely get that he wants those songs out though, but the reception is gonna be quite mixed when people realise Slash/ Axl / Duff have not written together at all for the new gnr record.... I mean it sounds like the prospect of even getting cdII material is also a bit pie in the sky now. We went from "I think it's coming next year around the summer tour" back to "I don't think it's happening next year". This fucking band😄

Why has people stopped believing in a new record next year? All the evidence we had suggesting a new album coming is still there, and in addition Slash has said they have worked on a lot of songs. Of course they intend to release these songs! 

And it's been a couple of months since I concluded we wouldn't hear anything new in quite a while. More new songs to coincide with the next tour makes a lot of sense and I am very certain this is what the band is planning, too. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why has people stopped believing in a new record next year? All the evidence we had suggesting a new album coming is still there, and in addition Slash has said they have worked on a lot of songs. Of course they intend to release these songs! 

Because they can actually see what is going on?

And when they don't release this album next year, what will you be saying then?

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Must be frustrating?  All he needs to do is actually release one?  I wonder why he won't/can't?

That's all well and good.

If fans are happy with Silkworms, then where is the incentive to write good/new songs.

Looking forward to Atlas?

I love Atlas, so yes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

Because they can actually see what is going on?

And when they don't release this album next year, what will you be saying then?

Depends on what has happened of course. It is not exactly uncommon that GN'R fails to deliver on plans :lol: Are you entirely new to the band? 

• Haha 1