The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, Pele said:

It's exactly like Billy Joel.

The problem is - somebody (either Rose or Team Brazil) has not done what Billy Joel did and openly say he's not writing/recording/releasing new material.  They are actively mis-directing fans/promoters and dangling the carrot so people continue to 'support' the band.

In the thread "Did you buy Hardskool CD" - there are people in there who actually said they bought it to "support' the band and to "show appreciation".

If they came out and admitted there were no new albums/songs, would people really continue to spend their hard earned money on these garbage releases?

Yep, the main difference being that at this point Axl wouldn’t pull in near the amount of $$ or play big venue stand-alone shows like Billy Joel without Slash being involved. He can’t totally admit he’s essentially quit being an artist like Billy did without potentially cutting into his bank account in a significant way. It would also likely hurt his ego. I think he likes to further the mysterious image of himself working on these epic tunes behind the scenes. As opposed to a retired guy with dorito stained fingers laying on the couch all day.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I read through the last 15 or so pages and don't get what is meant by the Universal database. Can someone give a quick summary and why it matters?

I doesn't anymore. The news is Slash said they didn't write Anything new togheter yet. He and Duff just re worked Axl's recorded stuff. They even didn't  rework the drums ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I mean... yeah he did the work, but when you record vocals 20yrs ago and don't re-record them when the rest of the track is getting updated it is a but lazy. 

Not if he's happy with the vocals he recorded for those songs x amount of years ago. I mean, why re-record something that already sounds good and you're happy with? Whether it's a 20 year old recording or not shouldn't matter.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

I doesn't anymore. The news is Slash said they didn't write Anything new togheter yet. He and Duff just re worked Axl's recorded stuff. They even didn't  rework the drums ... 

Which is basically written together but at a different time :lol:

It's about how much of the original song sans the vocals they really kept...

Beta in the year 2000/2001 confirmed that Axl had 48 songs to select and release Chinese Democracy. added to the last two releases, would there be 32 possible songs left unreleased, of those 32 which we know from the leaks? my calculations tell me that there is unpublished material that has never been heard.

Edited by dressedtokill

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Which is basically written together but at a different time :lol:

It's about how much of the original song sans the vocals they really kept...

It's like recording the music first and then the vocals but it's the other way around. Axl did the vocals and then Slash n Duff wrote the music. Yeah sure Axl did the vocals 20 years ago but who cares? If we are getting new music i don't care how they put it togheter. And if Axl had this material and wanted to release it somehow what's wrong with it? If we wouldn't listen the leaks we really couldn't tell it's reworked stuff

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 11:32 AM, Pele said:

But you've already thought about it.

You made a detailed post recently saying you now expect Summer 22 for the new album.

You're taking these lies and believing them.

You've taken Slash saying 'a lot' literally, so you will feel let down when that 'lot' inevitably turns out to be Absurd, HardSkool, Perhaps, Atlas.

And that 'release' will likely be in EP form to promote the next cash grab tour.

This. There obviously won’t be a ‘new album’. I do think there will be another EP but as I’ve always said, it will just be to promote the ongoing tour and maintain interest. Expect to hear touched up versions of ‘Atlas’ and ‘Perhaps’ and if anything else comes it will be a miracle.

I think the whole Chinese Democracy fiasco has put Axl off recording and releasing new albums for life, that whole process took years and must have been exhausting and would have cost him a lot of money. Touring is the safer option and also a better source of income than releasing albums these days. I think those CD sessions were probably also his last creative spark.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

It's like recording the music first and then the vocals but it's the other way around. Axl did the vocals and then Slash n Duff wrote the music. Yeah sure Axl did the vocals 20 years ago but who cares? If we are getting new music i don't care how they put it togheter. And if Axl had this material and wanted to release it somehow what's wrong with it? If we wouldn't listen the leaks we really couldn't tell it's reworked stuff

It could also be a November Rain or Estranged scenario 

45 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

I wonder when the drums from Hardskool were recorded as slash clearly said they were kept but are different to the Village recordings. 🤔

27 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Not if he's happy with the vocals he recorded for those songs x amount of years ago. I mean, why re-record something that already sounds good and you're happy with? Whether it's a 20 year old recording or not shouldn't matter.

Because the recordings of the last efforts sound disjointed. Don't know if the vocal tracks are to blame for the lack of 'organic' sounding music or Caram's mixing or our preexisting knowledge of the 'leaks'. Two things I really didn't value were the scream in Absurd and the 'aye-ayes' in HS. That felt like a copy paste job, even though I like the song. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gaanzer said:

Because the recordings of the last efforts sound disjointed. Don't know if the vocal tracks are to blame for the lack of 'organic' sounding music or Caram's mixing or our preexisting knowledge of the 'leaks'. Two things I really didn't value were the scream in Absurd and the 'aye-ayes' in HS. That felt like a copy paste job, even though I like the song. 

Okay, that's fair, but fortunately I don't have that problem when I listen to it. (although I could live without the ''aye-ayes'', but they don't ruin it for me either)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GNFNRUK said:

This. There obviously won’t be a ‘new album’. I do think there will be another EP but as I’ve always said, it will just be to promote the ongoing tour and maintain interest. Expect to hear touched up versions of ‘Atlas’ and ‘Perhaps’ and if anything else comes it will be a miracle.

I think the whole Chinese Democracy fiasco has put Axl off recording and releasing new albums for life, that whole process took years and must have been exhausting and would have cost him a lot of money. Touring is the safer option and also a better source of income than releasing albums these days. I think those CD sessions were probably also his last creative spark.

LoL the whole chinese fiasco is a majority of his own doing. Axl always quick to blame everyone but himself.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Well... 1) he can't really sing hardskool live 2)...

Oh... I only needed one point😄

Yeah if it sounded good and Axl could pull off the vocals with ease then yeah it makes sense to keep them. Hardskool won't be the most difficult vocal on a new record. It doesn't make sense to release more material that he will struggle with. When the opportunity to change the melody or range is there, why not reevaluate. Also, the idea that after 20yrs he couldn't come with something better than the verse vocal on Hardskool?? Yeah I don't think so. 

I hear the "surely he should use the prime Axl voice from 1999, instead of recording with his current voice" but I don't buy in on that.

As someone records and gets attached to certain takes I get how Axl might just love the takes, but Axl sang to rhythm guitar tracks that were quite different to what Slash put down. Maybe he did take another swing at the vocal after Slash finished? I would hope he at least explored the option otherwise it is a bit lazy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well... 1) he can't really sing hardskool live 2)...

Oh... I only needed one point😄

Yeah if it sounded good and Axl could pull off the vocals with ease then yeah it makes sense to keep them. Hardskool won't be the most difficult vocal on a new record. It doesn't make sense to release more material that he will struggle with. When the opportunity to change the melody or range is there, why not reevaluate. Also, the idea that after 20yrs he couldn't come with something better than the verse vocal on Hardskool?? Yeah I don't think so. 

I hear the "surely he should use the prime Axl voice from 1999, instead of recording with his current voice" but I don't buy in on that.

As someone records and gets attached to certain takes I get how Axl might just love the takes, but Axl sang to rhythm guitar tracks that were quite different to what Slash put down. Maybe he did take another swing at the vocal after Slash finished? I would hope he at least explored the option otherwise it is a bit lazy.

Sure, maybe he did try to sing it again or different, but he ended up loving the old take the best, and why not use it then? 

It's all speculating, that's all we can do, but I don't think it's that far-fetched that he simply liked what he did back then and decided to keep it.  It's not that unusual.

To me that makes more sense than to say he's lazy. This is his art. I can only imagine that he takes his songs very seriously and wouldn't put something out that he's not completely content with.

Edited by EvanG

Never know maybe slice and dolph told axl grease “hey man it’s cool you’ve already done your part.”

Also a lot of money spent on recording those songs might as well use them if they like them.  Yeah it was most expensive and longest record ever but they paid that back quick with tours.  So I’m sure that time and sessions were bought and paid for several times over by now.  Im just glad Slash now more less gave a real answer.  As long as they keep releasing more and more im good.  Even if it’s old enhanced Chinese regurgitations im good with it.   

Can't say I'm all that surprised about Slash's recent comments. I never expected there to be many brand new songs on the next album. I always thought it would be mostly CD-era material with maybe one or two brand new songs included at best.

But it would be interesting to know more details about what exactly they have done. What does "in earnest sitting down and writing" even mean? If Slash sends Axl an idea for a song, is that the same as "in earnest sitting down and writing" or did Slash mean that they haven't gotten together in a room as a band to write new music

It would also be interesting to know how many CD-era songs they have redone. Have they only been working on CD2 songs or have they been working on CD3 songs as well?

Some people seem to have made quick conclusions that Axl must be creatively dead since they haven't been writing brand new songs together as a band. But we haven't heard Axl's point of view. For all we know he could be writing stuff every day. He probably has tons of unfinished songs from the CD-era that he might be working on. Finishing songs is just as creative as writing brand new songs.

But we don't really know anything. Would be interesting to hear Axl's point of view. What has he been doing lately? But at the end of the day as long as we're getting new music I'm happy. Slash confirmed that they have been working on a lot of material, so that's good news to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Again, where's the incentive to write/record good songs if fans are happy with utter turds left off the last album.

One mans shit is another mans gold. I happen to think State of Grace is pretty rubbish, but you love it. Different strokes for different folks. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Same here. I like Atlas Shrugged at lot. I hope it's the next song released. 

Put me down for The General simply for the sake of never having heard it, but yeah, Atlas hits hard. Would be cool to see what Slash can do with it. 

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2