The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming,"Universal database implies new album is coming because the numbers between Hard Skool and Absurd are missing"?

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I suppose that they, technically, could have recorded and released these "leftovers" already in 2016, since the actual work doesn't take much time. But, given the particularities of this band, the past history between Axl and Slash and Axl's m.o., it's had to be very slow baby steps. We also have to factor in that Slash has another band that is not just a side project.

In 2016 the focus was on touring and being functional as a touring band (and Axl did his part regarding that by being professional and showing up on time). Also on getting reacquainted and building a level of mutual trust between them as business partners and band mates. With Axl being Axl, probably the first gesture towards that was on Slash. The key gesture at that point was Slash playing CD songs; and, two years later, Axl reciprocated with Slither.

So 2016 and 2017 was continuous touring. And 2018 was Slash recording and releasing SMKC (which he had planned beforehand) and going out on tour for a year (with short GnR legs in between).

The next step was new music. Axl wanted, as he had already stated in the China Exchange interview, to put out his CD era material with Slash and Duff (he said then he didn't know if they would do it or not). Slash and Duff again made the gesture and agreed to do it; and Axl, on his part, trusted them to be as creative as they wanted with the material, so that they would make the songs "new" enough and they'd get writing credits. So that's where they (and we) are now. And, maybe one day, Axl will say, "Hey Slash, let's hear these riffs of yours and do something with them."

As usual - a superb post.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Some interesting points have been raised over the past few threads and if it's accurate, I find it ridiculous that Jarmo is pointing the finger at Slash's productivity as to why the camp aren't getting the wheels in motion for a record to drop.  Kudos to Slash for the way he's went about getting yet another of his records out with his other band and keeping to his word, but in all honesty I'm somewhat relieved that whatever we get will consist of material that was intended as a follow up to Chinese Democracy. That was always my preference anyway, as I'm not a fan of anything Duff or Slash have produced outside of the band bar a few tunes and given the lack of material, I've no idea what Axl can bring to the table nowadays either - what I've always had faith in is the quality of material that Axl was sat on from the Chinese sessions and to my ears, the Village Sessions only solidified that belief. The age of the vocals has never been a problem for me - let's not get away from the fact that Axl Rose is one of the greatest voices to have ever lived, why turn down the opportunity to use a vocal take that was recorded in what could be argued as his peak? - and while I've had my own thoughts and opinions regarding the production of Absurd and Hard Skool, I'd still take it over anything new from the current band. It could be said that the big thing for me is closure from the whole Chinese Democracy saga and getting whatever Axl intended for a follow up would give me just that.

Well said mate - totally agree.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I must have missed something or is this the post from Jarmo that people interpret as criticism of Slash:

image.png.a4f0b96e952edeb88ec24cf38c3a2f

I interpret it simple as the band not wanting to get in the way of Slash's SMKC and his release. No obvious inherent criticism of Slash. Just stating  why the band is not going to release anything before Slash has finished his stuff with SMKC. But maybe there were additional posts from Jarmo I haven't seen?

Maybe just me (and a lack of knowing too much about Jarmos posting style) but I don’t see anything there to suggest Slash is being blamed. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Seriously.. I bet Axl couldn't have cared less if they released Hardschool and Absurd or not.. I bet Slash and Duff weren't overly excited about recording their tracks over old Axl demos. Slash certainly didn't sound like he was proud of the songs or anything. More like an "is what it is" situation...They probably just really wanted to get some kind of "Guns N' Roses" music out to the fans and that was the only way to do it. I really don't think Slash and Duff will be very eager to make an album like that.. Axl isn't eager to make an album at all.. 

I honestly think that some fans like to project how they're feelings onto Slash and Duff. Duff said on his radio show that Absurd is awesome to play live and seems to quite enjoy it, and there's really nothing implying that Slash doesn't like the material. It's entirely possible that you are right and that's the way things are, but people saying that aren't doing it based on any evidence and are just projecting.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

As usual - a superb post.

Well said mate - totally agree.

Maybe just me (and a lack of knowing too much about Jarmos posting style) but I don’t see anything there to suggest Slash is being blamed. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Neither did I. Jarmo is undeniably, in the additional posts, discussing the problem if both bands release albums at the same time. But there is a distance between that and saying the decision to not release an album now is because of Slash. But maybe that was apparent from the context of the discussion and not so clear from these outtaken posts. 

I can't really fathom how someone can read that post and think he is blaming Slash lmao. People really squinting and seeing what they want. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I honestly think that some fans like to project how they're feelings onto Slash and Duff. Duff said on his radio show that Absurd is awesome to play live and seems to quite enjoy it, and there's really nothing implying that Slash doesn't like the material. It's entirely possible that you are right and that's the way things are, but people saying that aren't doing it based on any evidence and are just projecting.

There’s definitely some merit to your point but following a particular group of individuals like these for decades upon decades does tend to give the follower/possible loser a super sense to tell what is really being communicated, not just what is literally being said. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

There’s definitely some merit to your point but following a particular group of individuals like these for decades upon decades does tend to give the follower/possible loser a super sense to tell what is really being communicated, not just what is literally being said. 

I mean, that's basically just projecting, you could say you have a special sense to prove any point you want at that point. Like I said, maybe that is the way things are, I'm not seeing anything that's saying that other than "I know that's how they would feel". 

Edited by Jw224

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The fact that Slash said they had worked on lots of songs completely undermines your argument. All you are left with is to conclude we are not getting an album with newly written songs anytime soon. 

The fact that you'll never hear any (apart from Atlas and Perhaps) undermines yours.

When will you learn.

Stop listening to what they say.  They don't record new songs. 

Like someone else said brilliantly before.  Stop looking at what they literally say, and look at what is actually being communicated.

Edited by Pele

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

In short: ISRC codes are unique code numbers that are assigned to each unique recording (i.e. different versions of the same song get different code numbers). These codes are usually assigned by the record label after the songs have been finally mixed and before they are handed for distribution. In the case of an album, the code numbers of the songs on it are usually within a range and are sequential (e.g. ...001, ...002, and so on.).

The codes for Absurd and Hard Skool are not sequential; HS is 11 spots after Absurd. That, of course, could be just because they were assigned at different dates. However, the codes between them, as well as 12 spots after HS, are blank and not assigned to other songs by other Universal artists. So, based on that, there's been speculation that Absurd and HS may be part of an album.

The two are unrelated.

Huge thanks for this insight. This kind of locks it in for me that there is one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pele said:

The fact that you'll never hear any (apart from Atlas and Perhaps) undermines yours.

When will you learn.

Stop listening to what they say.  They don't record new songs. 

Like someone else said brilliantly before.  Stop looking at what they literally say, and look at what is actually being communicated.

but if your wrong then you will claim that you said that all along

I just listened to "Perhaps" for the first time since the original leaks and oh boy, I forgot how much I loved it.

I hope it's the next single, but they should reconsider the instrumentals. First of all they need to be bigger, louder. The chorus is fantastic and it should have big background instruments. Second of all, I think they should seperate the verses and the chorus a bit more. But so far, the reworked versions of Absurd and Hard Skewl haven't disappointed, so they'll probably deliver once again.

Now all we have to do is wait ...

• Like 1

Yes, don't expect anything for a while. Some of us might benefit from 6 months away from the forums, to not get tangled up in the needless drama, speculation and negativity. 2021 was a great year for the band, chances are 2022 will be better. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I believe an album was planned for this fall but that the cancelation of the tour caused the band to decide to wait until next year. That sounds plausible to me. I don't think they need to blame it on anyone but Covid-19, and blaming it on Slash not only makes little sense but also creates a fuckload of friction and would be completely bonkers. So yeah? :lol: Nah, I think we are way over interpreting some comments from Jarmo now. Almost like we look from drama and look for conflicts. Jarmo is irrelevant, unless he says what Axl feels, but I have no reason to think that is the case now.  

I think people are reading way too much into what Jarmo said.  I just read his comments and I did not get that interpretation at all. 

• Like 1

Man, in hindsight they really are boneheads, this operation. 3 years of teasing an “album”, 13 years since CD dropped, and when they finally drop a couple singles, it’s only for the lamest EP perhaps in popular rock and roll history. There may or may not have been more, but we’ll never know, cuz Slash. Cool.

• ABSUЯD 1

12 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

If there was any doubt this is camp Axl trying to control a limp dick narrative, here is Jarmo is doubling down…

image.png.7673ee3499e28a9d467d1ccf2266ed2b.png

Whether you like it or not, Jarmo has a point. Slash is still being asked GNR questions. If GNR released an album now then the level of interest in SMKC would be diminished. It's actually common sense. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Whether you like it or not, Jarmo has a point. Slash is still being asked GNR questions. If GNR released an album now then the level of interest in SMKC would be diminished. It's actually common sense. 

It’s more circular arguments as to why the “time isn’t right” for an album and they’re banking on you nodding and showing up next summer.  Which is fine for some, I’m just not buying what they’re selling anymore. 

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Financial obligation? exactly what might that be?

Are you suggesting promoters were only booking GNR under the premiss that GNR would release new music? 

I think they released the music because A) Axl wanted to B) because the full album is gonna take some more time.

Slash said it pretty clear. He hasn't written any new songs for GNR, BUT he has recorded on a lot of other tracks from the Chinese era. If he hadn't and he was willing to be so forthcoming with the band not having written together then there's no reason why Slash wouldn't have said "We haven't done any work besides the two songs you've heard". There is other material, there are songs we have never heard and others we have heard in old forms! There's over 20yrs of material up for grabs here! And even IF Axl hadn't written lyrics for some of those songs IF Slash and Duff expressed interest in one of the unfinished songs then he could easily enough write some words, these things are not impossible... I understand anybody doubting a GNR record but I think it's a fairly safe statement now to say there is a GNR record in the works.

Potentially yes.

A lot of tour contracts (or different media/sport contracts) include promotion element.  Most tour guarantees now include several media appearances/interviews/song releases etc to maximize tour revenue.

This is the "highest grossing tour of all time".  Rose clearly refused media appearances, but may have agreed to contribute two 'new' songs.  Of course, his version of 'new' means getting his producer to record Slash/Duff parts - Rose didn't have to lift a finger.

Of course Slash was never going to say "We haven't done any work besides the two songs you've heard".  They have (IMO) lied about volume of material for decades.  They aren't going to suddenly admit Rose isn't writing/recording.

It's absolutely not a safe statement to say 'there is a GNR record in the works.'.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, and you were doing so well! No, my point is not undermined by your belief about something not happening in the future :lol:

Who cares.

I believe there are no new songs and therefore we'll never hear any.

You think there are new songs but you'll always defend them as the years roll by without you hearing any.

Same result.  Nobody hears new songs.  I'm just not expecting them.

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

Who cares.

I believe there are no new songs and therefore we'll never hear any.

You think there are new songs but you'll always defend them as the years roll by without you hearing any.

Same result.  Nobody hears new songs.  I'm just not expecting them.

Not for nothing, but you were totally convinced an album was coming for that week after Hard Skool where it, ya know, seemed like an album might be coming.  You said they’d be songs we’ve heard + The General & Soul Monster, but you seemed to think we were on the cusp of a larger release. Your outlook seems twice as grim now. Or are you fading in darkness with the rest of us, even for you? 😁

Edited by sofine11

5 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

It’s more circular arguments as to why the “time isn’t right” for an album and they’re banking on you nodding and showing up next summer.  Which is fine for some, I’m just not buying what they’re selling anymore. 

Exactly! 

The time isn't right.

"Pay your money and come to the shows in 2022, because then in all intents and purposes, all things considered, we'll look at what to do in the regard of slotting some releases and work out how best to go about facilitating some potential releases, as we've a lot of existing material to explore and do some finishing touches on....."

Then in 2023 - brand new world tour!!!  Come see it, we have a brand new single "Atlas Shrugged (with 1999 vocal)"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1