The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Also, I don’t understand why everyone has an issue with the pussy full of maggots line. It’s too crude for Guns n’ Roses? This is a fucking rock band. A rock band that’s debut album featured a woman being assaulted by a robot on the cover. If anything, “pussy full of maggots” is pretty on brand.

Mock the fake English accent or the fact that the song only has one verse - that I get. The lyric is the one thing I don’t have an issue with.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

What happened to Axl Rose the artist though? We all keep going back and forth about how there's no money in releasing music anymore. Fine. But is his passion for writing and releasing just completely gone? 

Why is this so hard to believe?  A lot of people lose creative inspiration and ambition over time.  Maybe Axl is just happy living his life.

Chinese Democracy is the album he always wanted to make and not only was it not received super well, but the whole process behind making it sounded torturous.  Maybe he just doesn't want to live that again and is happy just playing shows, traveling the world and spending his downtime hanging out and watching sports.  It seems like it took a big toll on him.

GnR fans have to stop acting like Axl owes us something. If a new GnR album happens that's fucking great, if it doesn't it sucks but I'm not going to let that ruin my life.  There's a lot of great music out there.  SMKC for instance lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Conspirators aren't a "pet project." Slash was successfully touring with the Conspirators before returning to GNR. It was his main gig at the time. Sure, he likely schedules Conspirators releases/tours around the big money-making GNR tours, but that shouldn't trivialize his other band. 

I wonder if he misses playing at RibFest ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, THELINESMAN said:

For some reason, when Angus mentioned this, it made me think about Axl’s mental illness. Like, it’s rumoured (or perhaps confirmed?) that he has bipolar, right? That’s a tough thing to live with, even on medication. Maybe he is dealing with his issues in that regard. That would also explain lack of talking about things in public, maybe he doesn’t want to make a big deal about it. 

A lot of "Axl being Axl" behavior over the years would make a lot of sense if he were bipolar and eventually started getting treated for it. I mean, didn't he have a psychic and stuff in the early 90's? I think he was doing therapy back then, too. There always seemed to be some unhappiness he was looking for the answer to. 

I really don't think they're working on Axl's leftovers because it just makes the most sense, it feels like there's something they're working around something - and, really, this goes back decades. Why did it really take almost 15 years to get Chinese Democracy out and why did Axl go radio silent when it did? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Why is this so hard to believe?  A lot of people lose creative inspiration and ambition over time.  Maybe Axl is just happy living his life.

Chinese Democracy is the album he always wanted to make and not only was it not received super well, but the whole process behind making it sounded torturous.  Maybe he just doesn't want to live that again and is happy just playing shows, traveling the world and spending his downtime hanging out and watching sports.  It seems like it took a big toll on him.

GnR fans have to stop acting like Axl owes us something. If a new GnR album happens that's fucking great, if it doesn't it sucks but I'm not going to let that ruin my life.  There's a lot of great music out there.  SMKC for instance lol

All he or his "management" has to say is there are no plans for a new album at this point. If that changes we'll make an announcement. 

The frustration comes from the continual mixed messages and insinuations that an album is in the works but nothing ever materializes, aside from a couple of throwaway singles that they can't be bothered to promote or discuss in any meaningful way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Also, I don’t understand why everyone has an issue with the pussy full of maggots line. It’s too crude for Guns n’ Roses? This is a fucking rock band. A rock band that’s debut album featured a woman being assaulted by a robot on the cover. If anything, “pussy full of maggots” is pretty on brand.

Mock the fake English accent or the fact that the song only has one verse - that I get. The lyric is the one thing I don’t have an issue with.

The lyrics are the only thing I liked about that song..

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

This is the laziest, dumbest thing people can write. Fans expressing the desire for new music is not them acting like Axl owes them anything. When people are cheering for their team to score, it's not bc they believe they are owed it (in most cases) but bc they are fans and love their team. People who say this are the biggest apologists for Axl. It's a trite and pathetic argument. Also, no one is allowing the lack of new music to ruin their lives. This is a fan forum where people express their desire for new music. It takes a few minutes out of the day, then people move the fuck on and do other things. 

Bands are supposed to create music. That's why they formed the band in the first place. Artists create. This band ain't that. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It's not that it's too crude, it's just a stupid lyric. "Pussy full of maggots, isn't that absurd!?" sounds like something an edgy teenager would think is cool. :lol:

But yea, the fact there's only one verse is the biggest problem with the song, nevermind the accent or the lack of a chorus...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, NolaBola said:

This is the laziest, dumbest thing people can write. Fans expressing the desire for new music is not them acting like Axl owes them anything. When people are cheering for their team to score, it's not bc they believe they are owed it (in most cases) but bc they are fans and love their team. People who say this are the biggest apologists for Axl. It's a trite and pathetic argument. Also, no one is allowing the lack of new music to ruin their lives. This is a fan forum where people express their desire for new music. It takes a few minutes out of the day, then people move the fuck on and do other things. 

Bands are supposed to create music. That's why they formed the band in the first place. Artists create. This band ain't that. 

First, lots of people lose their creative spark as they get older.  System of a Down, Zach De La Rocha, etc.  That's not even including all of the artists just retire from the industry all together.  Stop acting like this so something big or surprising that someone in their 60s is burnt out from the industry.  

also your sports analogy is dumb.  I wouldn't expect Mike Schmidt to to out there and hit a home run at 60 years old.  People want their team to score yes but if you expect your team to win a championship every year then yes you are expecting too much. 

The amount of touring that Axl and Guns do at this point in their career is amazing.  Very few bands are touring the world this much when they are in their late 50s/60s.  NITL tours was 175 shows in over 40 counties in 3 years!  And then they planned another world tour months later!  Not to mention they are playing shows that are twice as long as bands hale their age.

This rhetoric that Axl is lazy is fucking dumb and lazy.  Clearly he puts in the work touring, it's very possible he is just burnted out from the recording side or lost his creative spark. Or maybe he still writes and it just isn't as good as he used to be able to write so he doesn't feel the need to record it.  I don't know, I'm not inside his head. All I know is Axl is not the only artist to ever burn out or lose that creative spark.  And to assume that every person who has ever showed any creativity should have that their whole life is a ridiculous expectation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

First, lots of people lose their creative spark as they get older.  System of a Down, Zach De La Rocha, etc.  That's not even including all of the artists just retire from the industry all together.  Stop acting like this so something big or surprising that someone in their 60s is burnt out from the industry.  

also your sports analogy is dumb.  I wouldn't expect Mike Schmidt to to out there and hit a home run at 60 years old.  People want their team to score yes but if you expect your team to win a championship every year then yes you are expecting too much. 

The amount of touring that Axl and Guns do at this point in their career is amazing.  Very few bands are touring the world this much when they are in their late 50s/60s.  NITL tours was 175 shows in over 40 counties in 3 years!  And then they planned another world tour months later!  Not to mention they are playing shows that are twice as long as bands hale their age.

This rhetoric that Axl is lazy is fucking dumb and lazy.  Clearly he puts in the work touring, it's very possible he is just burnted out from the recording side or lost his creative spark. Or maybe he still writes and it just isn't as good as he used to be able to write so he doesn't feel the need to record it.  I don't know, I'm not inside his head. All I know is Axl is not the only artist to ever burn out or lose that creative spark.  And to assume that every person who has ever showed any creativity should have that their whole life is a ridiculous expectation.

We're talking about a band that supposedly has lots of unreleased music, live recordings, documentaries, etc. and most of that was recorded decades ago, so Axl being near 60 is irrelevant. Obviously fans will be curious about that material.

30 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

We're talking about a band that supposedly has lots of unreleased music, live recordings, documentaries, etc. and most of that was recorded decades ago, so Axl being near 60 is irrelevant. Obviously fans will be curious about that material.

And it appears that they are going to release it.  At least some of it.

5 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Conspirators aren't a "pet project." Slash was successfully touring with the Conspirators before returning to GNR. It was his main gig at the time. Sure, he likely schedules Conspirators releases/tours around the big money-making GNR tours, but that shouldn't trivialize his other band. 

Exactly.

Remember, GnR = "It's just a gig"
SMKC = go watch any of the recent interviews from the last few days about SMKC 4, you can see how enthusiastic he is about it. Plus I don't think he and his team would go to the efforts they've gone to with the website rebranding and new extensive bio and press release for 4 if it was just some side gig pet project. They've put a lot of effort into this whole thing.

I don’t think Axl gives a shit about releasing music, only making money. 
this reunion only happened once Newgnr faced the prospect of playing small venues and probably making very little money after the overheads of late fees, band members to pay, staff etc etc, so Axl reached out to Slash… 

Axls accountant probably told him, “hey if you want to keep up this lifestyle your gonna need to make a lot more money”

* ring ring “hi slash I forgive you”

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

he doing it. there is no way Absurd reflects the quality of the completed album. And it grew on me, especially the live version but the drumming on the studio version is great. The tune itself is a cool and short and nasty tune. HS is maybe a better tune but Axl always goes for the diverse type of records. I expect great heavy tunes and more epic compositions.

Eh, aye well each to their own pal. I'm glad you like it and get some enjoyment from the song. 🙂 I would rather listen to My World if I'm honest.

To these ears, as somebody who plays drums, the drum tracks used on Absurd are so bloody compressed that there should be an arrest warrant issued on behalf on the air! There's more life left in me Granny to be honest... and she died in 1990. 

Edited by 19AT5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

There's been no album since 2008. There's been one album of original material since 1991. Slash/Duff have back been in the band for 5 years now and they have managed to release re-recordings of 2 old songs previously circulated amongst fans. Slash recently said the band have not seriously sat down and tried to write any new music in this entire time. Slash will have released 2 solo albums come February 2022 in the time he has been back in the band. Duff and Dizzy will both have released a solo album each in that same timeframe. Angus Young said of Axl in 2021 interview: "He's involved in a lot of stuff. I don’t even know if you would say it was music. But he had a lot of things that he was involved in.” There ya go pal. :)

Arguing that there won't be a GN'R album because it's so long since their last release, doesn't make much sense if you know the history of the band. The only time I would be using tim as an argument against a coming release, would be immediately after a release, because we know it takes a long time for them to release anything. So the fact that they haven't released an album since 2008 means absolutely nothing, except that t is probably getting close to a new release ;)

And the fact that Slash and Duff haven't written anything new with Axl is also not a functional argument for why a new album can't be released next year when we know that the idea is to release old CD session songs which Slash and Duff has added onto - and Slash say they had worked on lots of such songs.

Here's an actual argument that suggests we aren't getting any new music: Axl hasn't talked about it lately. Axl used to like talking about his music. The fact that he hasn't, could be interpreted as evidence for him not being interested and that nothing being in the works. But the counter-argument to this is of course that Axl hasn't really talked much at all, and what he has said, like at the China Exchange, was positive. He basically seems to have taken the position of not communicating much and letting the music speak for itself, as with the recent two singles.

So no, I don't think you had much weighty argument for why we are not getting a new album. At least not to counter all the evidence in favor of a new release and certainly not enough to warrant the bizarre negativity around here.

13 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Do people believe anything Beta says? Susan's social media is fine and all, but does it mean anything concrete at all? I don't doubt that Axl wants to release more leftover songs, since he's worked on those for years and years. Them coming out piecemeal is really the evidence of this. 'Oh My God' came out how long ago now? 21 years ago? I don't even remember now. An album didn't follow that at all. Unless we're really going to say CD followed that 8 years later. Then we can say a new album may come in 2029? Sometimes smoke doesn't always mean a fire. Sometimes it's just smoke.

All the evidence is in how Slash talks about SMKC. It's an album, it gets a single, it's coming out later. That's how it works. I know GNR is put into this weird continuum where they're somehow allowed to operate in this fantastical way. But the reality is that if an album were close at all, the two singles would've pointed us there. And I'm tired of hearing about the pandemic somehow delaying things, when plenty of artists find ways to release vast swaths of material. The old saying still rings true: "Where there's a will, there's a way." There's no will here. You'd know if it was there. It's just not.

Anything or everything? Is there any reason to distrust anything she says? Why on earth would she lie about there being an album? 

As for Susan, it only means the band has worked on new music. She should know, don't you think? And if we accept that the band has worked on new music, and that Susan, Beta, Slash and others aren't flat out lying, don't you think that at least implies a desire to release new music? Or do you think Slash and Duff are adding tracks to songs and reworking them just for fun?

Oh My God was a single to promote both a movie and to showcase a new band. Hard Skool and Asburd, not so much. Of course it is possible that they are just stand-alone releases not connected to a new album at all, but when you take into consideration the fact that they have recorded additional songs, when they have expressed a desire to release these songs (including Axl), and all the comments about there being an album in the works - it makes no sense to use the release of Hard Skool and Absurd as evidence against additional music being released in the future.

And yes, Slash talks more about his release with SMKC than a future album from Guns N' Roses. There are some very obvious, possible reasons for that: SMKC is coming up first so obviously that's the record it is his job to promote right now; and Axl (obviously) doesn't want them to talk about GN'R and their upcoming release(s). It could also very well be he is more excited for "his" own music being released in "his" own band, than "Axl's songs" being released from his cashgrab side project - but don't conflate this as an album not coming.

And yes, it is silly they haven't been able to release an album earlier. But in the world of Guns N' Roses, is that really a functional argument for an album not coming? :lol: Did we learn NOTHING from the period 1994-2008? It isn't so much a lack of will, and being completely dysfunctional (and yes, we are looking at you, @Dexter). Besides, as @Blackstarhas pointed out previously, timing-wise it is unreasonable to expect them to have released an album much sooner. Of course they could have released it last year (it was likely done by then), or they could have released it this autumn. But as it is, it seems they want to release more music in connection with touring activity. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Arguing that there won't be a GN'R album because it's so long since their last release, doesn't make much sense if you know the history of the band. The only time I would be using tim as an argument against a coming release, would be immediately after a release, because we know it takes a long time for them to release anything. So the fact that they haven't released an album since 2008 means absolutely nothing, except that t is probably getting close to a new release ;)

And the fact that Slash and Duff haven't written anything new with Axl is also not a functional argument for why a new album can't be released next year when we know that the idea is to release old CD session songs which Slash and Duff has added onto - and Slash say they had worked on lots of such songs.

Here's an actual argument that suggests we aren't getting any new music: Axl hasn't talked about it lately. Axl used to like talking about his music. The fact that he hasn't, could be interpreted as evidence for him not being interested and that nothing being in the works. But the counter-argument to this is of course that Axl hasn't really talked much at all, and what he has said, like at the China Exchange, was positive. He basically seems to have taken the position of not communicating much and letting the music speak for itself, as with the recent two singles.

So no, I don't think you had much weighty argument for why we are not getting a new album. At least not to counter all the evidence in favor of a new release and certainly not enough to warrant the bizarre negativity around here.

People are not duty bound to be positive about a band that has delivered so little in so long. If a new album arrives; it arrives... personally too little too late. That's my opinion.

Edited by 19AT5

13 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

The case for an album - the band have recently released two singles which Beta then confirmed will appear on a CD next year. To which the band then announced a pending EP. But a Brazilian poster said that in Brazil, 'CD' actually means 'album', whereas everywhere else in the world it generally means, eh, 'CD'. Susan McKagan confirmed on her social media years ago that an album is being worked on. There are gaps in the ISRC database for recent GNR entries. 

Clearly the band have worked on some stuff otherwise we wouldn't have the pending EP. But forgive me if I have missed the big ass smoking gun here... this is hardly rock solid compelling evidence! I'll echo Russ' comments... I hope I'm wrong. But fuck a duck, this is clutching at straws! Anybody got a number for Mystic Meg?

It is clutching at straws to assume an album is being released when band members have worked on new music, band members have expressed a desire to release said music, and insiders have confirmed the plan to release said music? How on earth is that clutching at straws? :lol: 

Don't get me wrong, this is GN'R we are talking about, the likelihood for a new album is never 100% (just as the likelihood of not getting an album is never 0%), but if people don't accept that all the above suggests an album is in the works, then I don't know what to say.

13 hours ago, Pele said:

I'm not moving the goalposts.

I think they have already completed the songs which Axl has completed vocals for - which are Atlas, Perhaps and OMG.

You say you "confidently say I expect that we will get to hear more such new songs next year".  

I confidently say you'll only hear Atlas/Perhaps or OMG.  Do you genuinely think we'll hear something else next year?

I genuinely believe we will get to hear more then 2 new songs, yes. (And again, still talking about reworked old material as "new"). As for which songs I expect the band to release next - I have no public opinion. How many unreleased songs do we have from the Village sessions? 20? How many songs might the band have worked on in addition to these (similar to The General, Scraped, This I Love, etc) - I have no idea. There are numerous quotes from people talking to the amount of music that has been made so there's obviously lots to choose from. Then I also think @Blackstarmade a good point when she said that Axl might choose songs where he's got most of the writing credits, to avoid royalties, and this would of course mean a lot of the Village material won't be released (songs that obviously came from Bucket or Robin). But to answer your question: No idea.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pele said:

Soul Monster collects all the interviews, so has countless of examples where they say they might release music and they don't.

And he genuinely thinks there is an album because Beta said "Absurd will be on the CD" (which is is).

No, that is not "genuinely" why I think an album is coming. If you can't think properly, please refrain from trying to summarize my arguments. Thank you.

I genuinely think an album is coming from a bunch of evidence, including but not limited to: Beta's comment, Susan's comment, Slash saying they have worked on lots of material, the recent releases of Absurd and Hard Skool that proves they have worked on new music and that it is been finalized ready for release, the tag numbers form that database, Axl's outspoken desire to release this material, and Duff's and Slash's obvious desire to release more music with Guns N' Roses. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

The frustration comes from the continual mixed messages and insinuations that an album is in the works but nothing ever materializes, aside from a couple of throwaway singles that they can't be bothered to promote or discuss in any meaningful way. 

I wouldn't say we are getting mixed messages from the management, but lack of any messages. And that is causing a lot of the turmoil among us fans. Some clear communication of plans would have been great. Obviously we aren't getting that. And I don't think it is the management's fault, I think this is exactly who Axl wants it. Axl has stopped communicating and I am convinced he has asked others to stop, too. Then the question is, why? Why did Axl go from a guy who spent hours talking with interviewers about everything to one who detest the public eye and having to deal with the press? Why did he choose to come here to the fan forums to talk about stuff after CD was released? We could point to various possibilities: the backlash from opening up about his childhood in 1991, how the press took sides with Slash, generally bad PR (deserved and undeserved). I also think Axl has finally found some inner peace and don't want to deal with the hustle of the press and media. He enjoys the quiet life away from the drama. And has decided to just let the music speak from itself. It is a problem to us, but I gather he reckons his own happiness is more important than whether some fans won't know for certain if a record is coming out. He could of course have asked management to speak for him, but he is probably also afraid of the backlash when communicated plans go awry - which they tend to do in the world of GN'R. Why disclose plans before it is 100% certain they will come to fruition? Why risk the wrath of fans and media when he, yet again, fail to deliver on promises? Just my 5 cents.

• Like 1