The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

I don't get why this CD/supposed EP is used as evidence or indication against an album (or release of more material in any form). It's not its own thing. It's simply the songs that have been out there and it's only aimed at those who want to have them in physical format. Making such a big deal out of it reminds me of similar overreactions when Greatest Hits was released in vinyl format ("so this is the album" etc.)

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

People are not duty bound to be positive about a band that has delivered so little in so long. If a new album arrives; it arrives... personally too little too late. That's my opinion.

It wasn't about duty. I am just flabbergasted by the fact that people don't accept all the evidence as indications of an album being in the works. In my opinion is is so obvious. It boggles my mind when people can look at the same evidence and conclude an album is not coming out. That's the negativity I was referring to, not negativity towards the band in general, its lack of output, the choice of Absurd, their inability to write new music, etc etc, which is all warranted I suppose.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

It wasn't about duty. I am just flabbergasted by the fact that people don't accept all the evidence as indications of an album being in the works. In my opinion is is so obvious. It boggles my mind when people can look at the same evidence and conclude an album is not coming out. That's the negativity I was referring to, not negativity towards the band in general, its lack of output, the choice of Absurd, their inability to write new music, etc etc, which is all warranted I suppose.

Allow me to explain... some people don't see the same level of merit in the 'evidence' presented as you do. Whilst something may appear obvious to you, and you could be correct in the long run, other people don't believe until there is something to believe in. If it comes out; great, I'll give it a listen. If it doesn't; great, I'll go to the pub or chance my luck with the Mrs! That is where it ranks in my priority list! Based on recent release performance, probability says a new GNR album is not likely to shake my world all that much, though I would be hopeful that there would be at least some stuff on there I'd enjoy. Hope that clarifies.

40 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I genuinely believe we will get to hear more then 2 new songs, yes. (And again, still talking about reworked old material as "new"). As for which songs I expect the band to release next - I have no public opinion. How many unreleased songs do we have from the Village sessions? 20? How many songs might the band have worked on in addition to these (similar to The General, Scraped, This I Love, etc) - I have no idea. There are numerous quotes from people talking to the amount of music that has been made so there's obviously lots to choose from. Then I also think @Blackstarmade a good point when she said that Axl might choose songs where he's got most of the writing credits, to avoid royalties, and this would of course mean a lot of the Village material won't be released (songs that obviously came from Bucket or Robin). But to answer your question: No idea.

Yes, I think there might have been an agreement between Axl, Slash and Duff to choose songs that were mainly written by Axl (and or Dizzy). Not so much because of the royalties (as in that Axl doesn't want former members to get royalties), but because there couldn't be an album with Slash/Duff and the songwriting credits on ASCAP and the other public dabatases being all Finck, Buckethead, Stinson, etc. I don't think Slash and Duff would have agreed to work on Axl's songs otherwise.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Allow me to explain... some people don't see the same level of merit in the 'evidence' presented as you do. Whilst something may appear obvious to you, and you could be correct in the long run, other people don't believe until there is something to believe in. If it comes out; great, I'll give it a listen. If it doesn't; great, I'll go to the pub or chance my luck with the Mrs! That is where it ranks in my priority list! Based on recent release performance, probability says a new GNR album is not likely to shake my world all that much, though I would be hopeful that there would be at least some stuff on there I'd enjoy. Hope that clarifies.

Of course I agree that with Guns N' Roses we can't take anything for certain until it has actually happened. I always make sure to add this disclaimer/caveat when I talk about a future release. But that still doesn't explain how people can take the same evidence that I say points to an increased likelihood of a release (like any sane person would) and somehow make it seem conclusive that a new record is not coming out. It makes absolutely no sense. 

We can all agree that all this evidence means little when after all Axl is in control and can at any time, for what can probably best be described as entirely cryptic reasons, decide to postpone or cancel a release. But I can't understand why we can't agree that the evidence at least suggests an intention and that thus the likelihood of a release has increased. 

11 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Because the window for Slash, Myles, Conspirators to tour is around the time of the release of their record. There is no reason to postpone it. GNR dropped the ball not releasing a new record at literally any other point during their prolific touring or even in quarantine. But they couldn't even be bothered to meet up in studio when the world was shut down.

That's what I'm saying. The only one responsible for GNR not releasing a record now is Axl and GNR themselves. Slash built his shedule around GNR's program and not the other way around.  If they new they had to release a record this year and they had to tour it, Slash hadn't announced his own tour for february. He would have chosen a different time slot to begin with.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That's what I'm saying. The only one responsible for GNR not releasing a record now is Axl and GNR themselves. Slash built his shedule around GNR's program and not the other way around.  If they new they had to release a record this year and they had to tour it, Slash hadn't announced his own tour for february. He would have chosen a different time slot to begin with.

Exactly. Slash would’ve been given the green light to release and tour his new record. Whilst this in part was probably borne out the postponing of the Aussy shows, it also gives Axl yet another opportunity to delay an album release 

Edited by gavgnr

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course I agree that with Guns N' Roses we can't take anything for certain until it has actually happened. I always make sure to add this disclaimer/caveat when I talk about a future release. But that still doesn't explain how people can take the same evidence that I say points to an increased likelihood of a release (like any sane person would) and somehow make it seem conclusive that a new record is not coming out. It makes absolutely no sense. 

One either believes an album will be released; or doesn't. Neither viewpoint is conclusive and for anybody to suggest otherwise would, as you rightly point out, make no sense. What is conclusive though... is that none of us currently know the answer. 😁

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But I can't understand why we can't agree that the evidence at least suggests an intention and that thus the likelihood of a release has increased. 

Whilst the probability might have increased, it has not suddenly flipped on its arse and become 'highly likely'. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

One either believes an album will be released; or doesn't. Neither viewpoint is conclusive and for anybody to suggest otherwise would, as you rightly point out, make no sense. What is conclusive though... is that none of us currently know the answer. 😁

Absolutely, but I think we can confidently say an album (or at least additional releases) is intended, unless people are lying to us, but that is very pelesque position to take. And we can confidently say that more and more evidence suggests an album (or at least additional releases) is being planned.

But whether it will come out at all, is of course impossible to say and we should NEVER be surprised if things take additional time and/or gets scrapped. 

1 minute ago, 19AT5 said:

Whilst the probability might have increased, it has not suddenly flipped on its arse and become 'highly likely'. 

I think that's subjective and I am okay with people concluding it isn't "highly likely" based on what's come out in the public. 

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Absolutely, but I think we can confidently say an album (or at least additional releases) is intended, unless people are lying to us, but that is very pelesque position to take. And we can confidently say that more and more evidence suggests an album (or at least additional releases) is being planned.

But whether it will come out at all, is of course impossible to say and we should NEVER be surprised if things take additional time and/or gets scrapped. 

I think that's subjective and I am okay with people concluding it isn't "highly likely" based on what's come out in the public. 

Intent doesn't count for anything and we have no way of validating whether it's true or not. Remember Axl intended to release a trilogy of albums. Never happened. 

On subjectivity, the 'evidence' (and I feel uncomfortable using that word in this context) provided equally falls into that category. 

4 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Intent doesn't count for anything and we have no way of validating whether it's true or not. Remember Axl intended to release a trilogy of albums. Never happened. 

On subjectivity, the 'evidence' (and I feel uncomfortable using that word in this context) provided equally falls into that category. 

Without intent, nothing will happen. so intent does count for something, but just not everything. And now you are basically just arguing for what I have been saying GN'R plans often don't come to fruition. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Without intent, nothing will happen. so intent does count for something, but just not everything. And now you are basically just arguing for what I have been saying GN'R plans often don't come to fruition. 

Yes, but without going down a rabbit hole here... one can, with a degree of accuracy predict motivation, whereas same cannot be said of intent. Intent is more open to falsehoods. So within the hierarchy of human needs, motivation is weighted greater than intent. One can have as much intent to do anything as one so desires. But unless one is motivated, the intent is reduced in significance. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Eh, aye well each to their own pal. I'm glad you like it and get some enjoyment from the song. 🙂 I would rather listen to My World if I'm honest.

To these ears, as somebody who plays drums, the drum tracks used on Absurd are so bloody compressed that there should be an arrest warrant issued on behalf on the air! There's more life left in me Granny to be honest... and she died in 1990. 

I shouldn’t laugh at that but…..🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Eh, aye well each to their own pal. I'm glad you like it and get some enjoyment from the song. 🙂 I would rather listen to My World if I'm honest.

To these ears, as somebody who plays drums, the drum tracks used on Absurd are so bloody compressed that there should be an arrest warrant issued on behalf on the air! There's more life left in me Granny to be honest... and she died in 1990. 

I agree the compression is excruciating but I was specifically talking about the drum parts on Absurd.

10 hours ago, Coma16 said:

I wonder if he misses playing at RibFest ;)

In 2015 they were playing some big rooms, not exactly selling out every seat ,but they were doing very respectable numbers. In 2015 I was starting to see the trajectory of 1 or 2 more solid albums and then SMKC might special support for headliners on mainstages at festivals and that sort of thing. Once Slash went back to GNR they dipped back to bigger clubs, and then they released a mediocre follow up to WOF which didn't help.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

maybe all of it. I like the drum parts? you can take that literally so there is more chance for you to find it.

Had another listen there, but didn't really notice anything special about the drums that were particularly stand out. Each to their own. However that said, I am also certain that the compression level just sucks out any possible enjoyment that ever could be extracted by my ears! 

Just now, 19AT5 said:

Had another listen there, but didn't really notice anything special about the drums that were particularly stand out. Each to their own. However that said, I am also certain that the compression level just sucks out any possible enjoyment that ever could be extracted by my ears! 

I just listened to Absurd studio version 7 times. It's a great song. Slash and Duff improved it and I hope there are a lot of mean tracks on the album like Absurd and State Of Grace plus unheard tracks so we have different tastes cause I'm extracting enjoyment even though it's compressed, and at first I hated Silkworms but I also like Scraped..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I just listened to Absurd studio version 7 times. It's a great song. Slash and Duff improved it and I hope there are a lot of mean tracks on the album like Absurd and State Of Grace plus unheard tracks so we have different tastes cause I'm extracting enjoyment even though it's compressed, and at first I hated Silkworms but I also like Scraped..

Bizarrely I don't mind the studio version of Silkworms but don't like Absurd. Hahaha! But I would never class it as a great song. By any stretch of any imagination. The lyrics are so bad to start with!

2 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Bizarrely I don't mind the studio version of Silkworms but don't like Absurd. Hahaha! But I would never class it as a great song. By any stretch of any imagination. The lyrics are so bad to start with!

I don't think the lyrics are supposed to be like this serious statement. I think they're fun and go well with Axl's monotone delivery and Slash doing mean licks. The tone of the song is dark and I hope a big part of the album is more of that kind of thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Rovim said:

I don't think the lyrics are supposed to be like this serious statement. I think they're fun and go well with Axl's monotone delivery and Slash doing mean licks. The tone of the song is dark and I hope a big part of the album is more of that kind of thing.

The lyrics might be Bad on purpose? :shrugs:I mean, not every song can be as epic as November Rain or Street of Dreams 

• Like 1

Chaps, this is a near 60 year old man singing 'pussy full of maggots'... and signing the same verse 3 times. If you're cool with that, great. Personally, I think it's lazy as fuck! But you know what song I think has good lyrics... Hard Skool. I think those are good and well crafted. Which is what annoys me about Axl... you get some really good lyrics and some utterly banal bullshit as well. But, on his day, he's an underrated lyricist with some cracking lines. 

• Like 1