The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Chaps, this is a near 60 year old man singing 'pussy full of maggots'... and signing the same verse 3 times. If you're cool with that, great. Personally, I think it's lazy as fuck! 

Haha... why is it lazy? Sometimes there's a reason to repeat a verse or it fits nicely with the song. It's totally cool if you don't like the song or that he repeats lyrics, but I don't understand why that immediately means it's lazy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Haha... why is it lazy? Sometimes there's a reason to repeat a verse or it fits nicely with the song. It's totally cool if you don't like the song or that he repeats lyrics, but I don't understand why that immediately means it's lazy.

it's immediately lazy cause it can't be an artistic choice since it takes more time and effort to write more than 1 verse.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I understand that. But repeating the same refrain without any musical difference three times... it's hardly a progression within the context of the song. That's my point, sir. 

1 minute ago, 19AT5 said:

I understand that. But repeating the same refrain without any musical difference three times... it's hardly a progression within the context of the song. That's my point, sir. 

I agree, but doesn't it occur to you that that might be what he was trying to do? In a song like this repeating lyrics might work better than 4 different verses. Again, maybe not to you, but I reckon that's what he was going for.

I mean, I can't imagine him sitting in his mansion, nachos in one hand, pen in the other, and thinking.... ''god, I'm so lazy, too lazy to write another verse, so you know what? I'll just repeat the same lines, I'm sure no one will mind''

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I agree, but doesn't it occur to you that that might be what he was trying to do? In a song like this repeating lyrics might work better than 4 different verses. Again, maybe not to you, but I reckon that's what he was going for.

I mean, I can't imagine him sitting in his mansion, nachos in one hand, pen in the other, and thinking.... ''god, I'm so lazy, too lazy to write another verse, so you know what? I'll just repeat the same lines, I'm sure no one will mind''

Touche! Conversely I can't imagine him sitting in his mansion, nachos in one hand, pen in the other, thinking: "I've not released any new music in years, what better way to reintroduce myself artistically to the world than to include some powerful imagery about a vagina being populated and consumed by larva. Oh yes, that will do the trick just nicely!" 

• Haha 1

Just now, Rovim said:

recap: he told me it's impossible for me to enjoy the drums on Absurd cause the song is much too compressed. He also seems to believe that you must have a minimum amount of verses in a song for it to be not lazy and therefore, good and most importantly, If he doesn't like it, it's objectively bad and you must think so as well.

That's not what I said. At all. Never once have I expressed anything close to what you have described. Sure I'll challenge you, but then again why post if you don't like a challenge. Re-read what I said. I'm a fairly reasonable person.  But if you choose to see otherwise; then that's okay too... no skin off my nose. 

5 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

That's not what I said. At all. Never once have I expressed anything close to what you have described. Sure I'll challenge you, but then again why post if you don't like a challenge. Re-read what I said. I'm a fairly reasonable person.  But if you choose to see otherwise; then that's okay too... no skin off my nose. 

you're right, my mistake. my reply was in jest anyway, but you did have a pretty difficult time understanding why I liked something you didn't and you assume Axl was lazy writing the lyrics cause Absurd contains only 1 repeated verse. Surely you can see that's ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Touche! Conversely I can't imagine him sitting in his mansion, nachos in one hand, pen in the other, thinking: "I've not released any new music in years, what better way to reintroduce myself artistically to the world than to include some powerful imagery about a vagina being populated and consumed by larva. Oh yes, that will do the trick just nicely!" 

This is subjective, but... the way I look at songs like Absurd (short, simple, energetic songs) is that repeating lyrics make more sense than having a lot of lyrics. A lot of punk music has repeating lyrics too. It's easy to dismiss it as laziness, but it actually serves a purpose, ya know? I kinda see it as announcements... short and to the point. It wouldn't work in long and epic songs like November Rain, Coma and Estranged, but in songs like Absurd it does serve a purpose in my opinion, and I think that's what he was going for. So it's an artistic choice, not laziness. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it, of course.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you're right, my mistake. my reply was in jest anyway, but you did have a pretty difficult time understanding why I liked something you didn't and you assume Axl was lazy writing the lyrics cause Absurd contains only 1 repeated verse. Surely you can see that's ridiculous.

Perhaps (nae, clearly) I didn't articulate myself well... what I am more interested in is finding out why somebody finds something interesting that I don't. Like it takes me multiple listens to sometimes understand/get a track. Case in point (and we'll keep it GNR themed), I can't stand November Rain. Never liked all the flutes, bells and whistles stuff, so wrote it off. I heard the acoustic version again the other day and I enjoyed it. So now I feel I 'get' that song, a bit more, if that makes sense. If somebody thinks something is great and I think it's crap... I find that interesting! Sorry I'm one of those annoying analytical fuckers that always wants to know more about stuff!!! 

But Jeso, in no way would I prescribe what is good or bad. But I will poke/prod to find out more. That's the whole point of this! That's all. I promise. :)

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

This is subjective, but... the way I look at songs like Absurd (short, simple, energetic songs) is that repeating lyrics make more sense than having a lot of lyrics. A lot of punk music has repeating lyrics too. It's easy to dismiss it as laziness, but it actually serves a purpose, ya know? I kinda see it as announcements... short and to the point. It wouldn't work in long and epic songs like November Rain, Coma and Estranged, but in songs like Absurd it does serve a purpose in my opinion, and I think that's what he was going for. So it's an artistic choice, not laziness. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it, of course.

Okay I understand more now. Thank you for explaining. I think my use of the word 'lazy' in this instance was ironically, eh... lazy!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Just now, 19AT5 said:

Perhaps (nae, clearly) I didn't articulate myself well... what I am more interested in is finding out why somebody finds something interesting that I don't. Like it takes me multiple listens to sometimes understand/get a track. Case in point (and we'll keep it GNR themed), I can't stand November Rain. Never liked all the flutes, bells and whistles stuff, so wrote it off. I heard the acoustic version again the other day and I enjoyed it. So now I feel I 'get' that song, a bit more, if that makes sense. If somebody thinks something is great and I think it's crap... I find that interesting! Sorry I'm one of those annoying analytical fuckers that always wants to know more about stuff!!! 

But Jeso, in no way would I prescribe what is good or bad. But I will poke/prod to find out more. That's the whole point of this! That's all. I promise. :)

I like it when Gn'R sometimes gets in a certain vibe and a song is punky, short, to the point and dark like It's So Easy. Absurd works for me in the same way. It's a part of Gn'R that I'm glad Axl has not neglected and I'm optimistic about what Slash did with other tracks thanks to his guitar work on Absurd and also what Duff played just sounds right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Chaps, this is a near 60 year old man singing 'pussy full of maggots'... and signing the same verse 3 times. If you're cool with that, great. Personally, I think it's lazy as fuck! But you know what song I think has good lyrics... Hard Skool. I think those are good and well crafted. Which is what annoys me about Axl... you get some really good lyrics and some utterly banal bullshit as well. But, on his day, he's an underrated lyricist with some cracking lines. 

Funnily enough, the lyrics repeating in Absurd is less annoying to me than in HardSkool.

In Absurd I view it as like a militia / military person on a megaphone shouting out a manifesto on loop. I know that's not what the song is about, but that's the feel I got from it. In HardSkool It has two verse and 5 almost entirely identical choruses.... I think it was a bit lazy to not change a few words for at least 1 of the 5 choruses especially in the final 3 where they are back to back. I think the song would have benefitted from being a minute shorter outside of not changing some chorus lyrics, and it's only like 3mins long.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I like it when Gn'R sometimes gets in a certain vibe and a song is punky, short, to the point and dark like It's So Easy. Absurd works for me in the same way. It's a part of Gn'R that I'm glad Axl has not neglected and I'm optimistic about what Slash did with other tracks thanks to his guitar work on Absurd and also what Duff played just sounds right.

So I think we likely agree more than we initially realised! Totally take on board sentiment around ISE (love that song a lot, let's not touch the lyric topic there though :P). Agree that there is a defo punk streak in GNR DNA, no issues with that either. And I now get your point around Absurd falling into that category. It just so happens, I am don't happen to like it! But that doesn't mean diddle squat! That said, in a live environment, I think I would enjoy a lot more. Perhaps it's just that studio version I don't like?! Who knows, I'm open though. Glad we chatted. :)

• GNFNR 1

I am confident that one year from now we have more Guns n Roses songs released than we have at the moment. 

All signs points to this, even though its not newly written songs by Slash and Duff. 

Lets hope for a full album, but we are at least almost guaranteed Atlas and Perhaps as they were vocally as good as finished early 2000.

Possible other songs on a full album is the General (this we know exists with vocals, Soul Monster (confirmed by Axl), Seven and Thyme is very likely finished because of orchestral parts arranged by Marco Beltrami.
Quick song is very likely finished with lyrics, the same for Zodiac. 
State of Grace (if that is not merged into the General?)
I guess there will be a couple surprises, songs that we are not aware of.

We also know Fortus have written for GNR and lets hope he can get some well-earned credit.

I guess some of the more experimental instrumentals by Buckethead & co were scrapped.

I think from Axl`s point of view the tracks released were finished from his side (vocals/lyrics) and maybe we should be happy that he is not tinkering any further with the tracks, but let Slash/Duff/Caram the opportunity to restructure and release them?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Anything or everything? Is there any reason to distrust anything she says? Why on earth would she lie about there being an album? 

As for Susan, it only means the band has worked on new music. She should know, don't you think? And if we accept that the band has worked on new music, and that Susan, Beta, Slash and others aren't flat out lying, don't you think that at least implies a desire to release new music? Or do you think Slash and Duff are adding tracks to songs and reworking them just for fun?

Oh My God was a single to promote both a movie and to showcase a new band. Hard Skool and Asburd, not so much. Of course it is possible that they are just stand-alone releases not connected to a new album at all, but when you take into consideration the fact that they have recorded additional songs, when they have expressed a desire to release these songs (including Axl), and all the comments about there being an album in the works - it makes no sense to use the release of Hard Skool and Absurd as evidence against additional music being released in the future.

And yes, Slash talks more about his release with SMKC than a future album from Guns N' Roses. There are some very obvious, possible reasons for that: SMKC is coming up first so obviously that's the record it is his job to promote right now; and Axl (obviously) doesn't want them to talk about GN'R and their upcoming release(s). It could also very well be he is more excited for "his" own music being released in "his" own band, than "Axl's songs" being released from his cashgrab side project - but don't conflate this as an album not coming.

And yes, it is silly they haven't been able to release an album earlier. But in the world of Guns N' Roses, is that really a functional argument for an album not coming? :lol: Did we learn NOTHING from the period 1994-2008? It isn't so much a lack of will, and being completely dysfunctional (and yes, we are looking at you, @Dexter). Besides, as @Blackstarhas pointed out previously, timing-wise it is unreasonable to expect them to have released an album much sooner. Of course they could have released it last year (it was likely done by then), or they could have released it this autumn. But as it is, it seems they want to release more music in connection with touring activity. 

Fair enough. But let's say Oh My God was released to showcase a new band. Why can't the same be said here? If anything, Absurd and HS should've both been pushed as hard as possible, touting the semi-reunion lineup as being back and all that fluff. The songs passed like farts in the wind. There's no momentum from them now, when there could've easily been something to follow. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'd honestly love to be wrong and somehow be shocked by the presence of a new album. But I really feel that not capitalizing on releasing the two new songs was a colossal oversight. Which, as a result, makes me think there's just nothing else there.

As for the people talking about new music, it's the same story we've heard for years. Anyone outside of the actual band members has next to no idea what's being worked on, or what's going on within the band's dynamic. Hell, even some of the band members don't know. Fortus could come out with an interview tomorrow and say, "Well, things are 99% ready." We all know where that would go. We've been down that road before. The fact is, that no one outside of the main group (Axl) has any clue what's going on. We just have to cling onto these scraps because we have nothing else. The songs presented some optimism, for sure. But now they're just scraps as well. So, unless this is the poorest album rollout ever, I don't see any of this as critical evidence of a release at all.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I don't see how timing is any issue here. I'm not in the business, though, so I have no clue. I just think it's odd to release two new songs, have next to no follow-up, and then see people thinking that they're sitting on a full album of material, leftovers or not. If they do have a full album, I'd love to hear it. But the evidence just isn't there for me at this point.

Edited by Zeppelin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Eh, aye well each to their own pal. I'm glad you like it and get some enjoyment from the song. 🙂 I would rather listen to My World if I'm honest.

To these ears, as somebody who plays drums, the drum tracks used on Absurd are so bloody compressed that there should be an arrest warrant issued on behalf on the air! There's more life left in me Granny to be honest... and she died in 1990. 

That would be Caram Costanzo up to his old tricks again...

11 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Fair enough. But let's say Oh My God was released to showcase a new band. Why can't the same be said here? If anything, Absurd and HS should've both been pushed as hard as possible, touting the semi-reunion lineup as being back and all that fluff. The songs passed like farts in the wind. There's no momentum from them now, when there could've easily been something to follow. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'd honestly love to be wrong and somehow be shocked by the presence of a new album. But I really feel that not capitalizing on releasing the two new songs was a colossal oversight. Which, as a result, makes me think there's just nothing else there.

As for the people talking about new music, it's the same story we've heard for years. Anyone outside of the actual band members has next to no idea what's being worked on, or what's going on within the band's dynamic. Hell, even some of the band members don't know. Fortus could come out with an interview tomorrow and say, "Well, things are 99% ready." We all know where that would go. We've been down that road before. The fact is, that no one outside of the main group (Axl) has any clue what's going on. We just have to cling onto these scraps because we have nothing else. The songs presented some optimism, for sure. But now they're just scraps as well. So, unless this is the poorest album rollout ever, I don't see any of this as critical evidence of a release at all.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I don't see how timing is any issue here. I'm not in the business, though, so I have no clue. I just think it's odd to release two new songs, have next to no follow-up, and then see people thinking that they're sitting on a full album of material, leftovers or not. If they do have a full album, I'd love to hear it. But the evidence just isn't there for me at this point.

HS and Absurd are no where near the level quality wise the public would expect from a comeback single from a re-united GNR. Frankly I am happy they have largely ignored them.

It's been 30 years since Axl/Slash have released a song of new material together, and if and when they do it better be a hell of a lot higher quality than what we have heard so far.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

There is some differences between now and back when Om My God was released which made me suggest Oh My God was released also to showcase the band (but mostly just to be on a soundtrack). Back then there was a huge amount of questions surrounding the new GN'R Axl was putting together, especially what sort of music he was going for. The band hadn't been seen in some years. Rumours were swirling. I think Axl thought it would be a good idea to get a single out there, to make a statement that he was building a new version of Guns N' Roses. Something different. Today it is very different, the current band has been touring extensively.

Yes, Richard could come out tomorrow and say an album was in the works. The difference is that we are now getting information from people that matter more. When Beta indicates an album is coming, that means a lot more than when Richard suggests they are working on it. Because Beta works and lives with Axl. She is his confidante. Outside of Caram and possibly Fernando, I can't think of anyone I would listen more to than her. In addition comes the fact that Slash has sated they have worked on lots of music, and I simply don't think Slash would do that unless there was a clear, executable plan for a release. 

People are not believing an album is coming entirely because they released two new singles. But the fact that they released two new singles confirmed they had been working on "new" music, which supported an existing theory that an album was to be released.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Naupis said:

HS and Absurd are no where near the level quality wise the public would expect from a comeback single from a re-united GNR. Frankly I am happy they have largely ignored them.

It's been 30 years since Axl/Slash have released a song of new material together, and if and when they do it better be a hell of a lot higher quality than what we have heard so far.

I get fans not liking "Absurd," but "Hardskool" is pretty great, on par with a lot of the UYI rockers, i.e., "Perfect Crime." 

• Like 2