The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

22 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I don't know what Axl has in the can, but I'm willing to bet that there are no usable vocals on there. He probably *does* have *hundreds* of pieces of music just "ready to go"...if he would only finish them and add vocals. Which he likely hasn't. Either because he doesn't care, he's suffering from enormous creative block, or for whatever reason thinks his voice can't do it (unlikely, considering his voice in 2016 was strong enough and studio magic can do wonders). But he released Absurd and Hard Skool for one reason - they had vocals already recorded and ready to go.

I think i've already read this somewhere

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

But he released Absurd and Hard Skool for one reason - they had vocals already recorded and ready to go.

but Axl has said that the second half of Chinese was completed and that was years ago, in 2014, in the Revolver magazine interview. He's sitting on at least an album worth of material with finished vocals so Absurd and HS can't be the only completed material.

Where do things stand as far as recording new Guns N' Roses music?
We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out. We've worked more on some of those things and we've written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That's already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That's been done for a while, too.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/axl-rose-inspiring-ghost-rider-playing-duff-admiring-jagger

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

I think i've already read this somewhere

Well there's not a ton of other stuff to talk about. I suppose we can discuss what the chord is in the chorus of Hard Skool after the 'C'. It sounds to my ears like a G, but I also hear a D in there as well. What say you?

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but Axl has said that the second half of Chinese was completed and that was years ago, in 2014, in the Revolver magazine interview. He's sitting on at least an album worth of material with finished vocals so Absurd and HS can't be the only completed material.

Where do things stand as far as recording new Guns N' Roses music?
We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out. We've worked more on some of those things and we've written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That's already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That's been done for a while, too.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/axl-rose-inspiring-ghost-rider-playing-duff-admiring-jagger

See, the issue I have here is that the language can be a bit tricky. Again, I'm sure the backing tracks are recorded. But I just don't see any reason to believe that the vocals for anything else are completed. And if they are - and have been done since 2014 - then I *really* wonder what the hold up is. Even if Axl re-records every single note every single time a band member left or joined (which he doesn't) - this current band has been in place for 5 years. They are professional musicians. There's just no reason for it to have taken this long unless...there's just nothing there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Well there's not a ton of other stuff to talk about. I suppose we can discuss what the chord is in the chorus of Hard Skool after the 'C'. It sounds to my ears like a G, but I also hear a D in there as well. What say you?

See, the issue I have here is that the language can be a bit tricky. Again, I'm sure the backing tracks are recorded. But I just don't see any reason to believe that the vocals for anything else are completed. And if they are - and have been done since 2014 - then I *really* wonder what the hold up is. Even if Axl re-records every single note every single time a band member left or joined (which he doesn't) - this current band has been in place for 5 years. They are professional musicians. There's just no reason for it to have taken this long unless...there's just nothing there.

specific tunes with vocals like Soul Monster and The General have been talked about by Axl, Brain, and Bach for example. We know there is enough finished tunes for an album. If you don't see a reason to believe that when Axl himself has said it, then you probably don't want to believe it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Axls focus was purely on touring, he said it in 2016. Axl is all about the right time to do x y and z... in his mind it was not the right time to release music any time before 2021. Who knows when it'll be the right time for the next release! I'm not saying that was the right move but his timeline and our timelines for things couldn't be any further apart!

But! I mean when you have 3 different sources discussing certain songs and you have people arguing of their existence or if what those sources said can be trusted (one of which is Axl) then there really isn't anything that anyone can say to change minds. I believe Axl had his finished album in 2014... We've worked more on some of those things and we've written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That's already recorded

Find me something credible to disprove this statement. I will need more than "that was 2014 and they didn't release anything" 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rovim said:

specific tunes with vocals like Soul Monster and The General have been talked about by Axl, Brain, and Bach for example. We know there is enough finished tunes for an album. If you don't see a reason to believe that when Axl himself has said it, then you probably don't want to believe it.

You don't understand. Axl didn't go to any studio after 99, and asked everybody he knows to lie for him. Bumblefoot, Fortus, Tommy, Bach, Slash, Duff, you name it. It's all a conspiracy. He truly believes the next KOHD will blow people minds.

/pele off

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Axls focus was purely on touring, he said it in 2016. Axl is all about the right time to do x y and z... in his mind it was not the right time to release music any time before 2021. Who knows when it'll be the right time for the next release! I'm not saying that was the right move but his timeline and our timelines for things couldn't be any further apart!

But! I mean when you have 3 different sources discussing certain songs and you have people arguing of their existence or if what those sources said can be trusted (one of which is Axl) then there really isn't anything that anyone can say to change minds. I believe Axl had his finished album in 2014... We've worked more on some of those things and we've written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That's already recorded

Find me something credible to disprove this statement. I will need more than "that was 2014 and they didn't release anything" 

It's not necessarily about disproving the statement - again, I'm sure that there are a ton of tunes recorded. But recorded can mean a bunch of things. 

Guns N' Roses did some recording in Malibu this year - we heard the results on Absurd and Hard Skool. But *Axl* didn't record. That's what I mean - you can play with the language to make it sound like things are further along than they are. The only song I can find a specific reference to vocals being done are Soul Monster - in which case, I believe he's got a vocal. But I just don't see a reason why it wouldn't have been released, and I really don't believe there's some grand plan to save it for an album release.

I don't need to disprove anything - just stating that I don't think we'll hear anything new any time soon because I don't believe there's anything "new" to hear. I believe we'll get more music released next year during the tour, and I believe it'll be Atlas Shrugged (now with Slash and Duff). I believe there are hundreds of songs that Guns N' Roses can claim they've recorded, but I just don't think they necessarily have completed, ready-to-be-released, quality vocals.

Quicksong, for example, features Axl working out a vocal melody. But that's not a usable vocal.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It's not necessarily about disproving the statement - again, I'm sure that there are a ton of tunes recorded. But recorded can mean a bunch of things. 

Guns N' Roses did some recording in Malibu this year - we heard the results on Absurd and Hard Skool. But *Axl* didn't record. That's what I mean - you can play with the language to make it sound like things are further along than they are. The only song I can find a specific reference to vocals being done are Soul Monster - in which case, I believe he's got a vocal. But I just don't see a reason why it wouldn't have been released, and I really don't believe there's some grand plan to save it for an album release.

I don't need to disprove anything - just stating that I don't think we'll hear anything new any time soon because I don't believe there's anything "new" to hear. I believe we'll get more music released next year during the tour, and I believe it'll be Atlas Shrugged (now with Slash and Duff). I believe there are hundreds of songs that Guns N' Roses can claim they've recorded, but I just don't think they necessarily have completed, ready-to-be-released, quality vocals.

It's spreading like a virus, now there are two of them singing the same old song.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

It's spreading like a virus, now there are two of them singing the same old song.

I don't think I'm quite as militant about it as Pele. I also don't necessarily 'blame' Axl or hold ill feeling towards him for it - I totally get it. Go on tour, sing the hits, have fun. Works for me.

I just don't think there's a treasure trove of material sitting around in a vault just waiting for release. I think there's a bunch of potential tunes for Duff and Slash to work on, but I just can't find a solid reason why Axl would have released Absurd (with one verse) and Hard Skool untouched from a vocal perspective, unless there was nothing else to use.

And again, I'm happy to discuss anything regarding a new album but...there's not much else to say, now is there?

Slash has stated that they're not writing together, they're patching up old tunes that Axl has laying around. So I guess the only thing new I can contribute is that I hope they throw Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps in the fucking trash, and I hope that they put some effort into Tonto and try and build a song around Circus Maximus.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK

55 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Guns N' Roses did some recording in Malibu this year - we heard the results on Absurd and Hard Skool. But *Axl* didn't record. That's what I mean - you can play with the language to make it sound like things are further along than they are. The only song I can find a specific reference to vocals being done are Soul Monster - in which case, I believe he's got a vocal. But I just don't see a reason why it wouldn't have been released,

Well, if we trust Axl then we know it exists and have existed for quite a while. Some songs for CD existed for quite a while before they were released, too. That's how Axl operates. He is...particular about these things. We don't like it, we wouldn't do it that way ourselves, but we can't use failure to release as an argument for why the music don't exist. 

And we only know of Soul Monster because Axl decided to mention it in the forum chats. Chances are there are other songs with vocals, too, which we don't know of because Axl has chosen not to talk about them, and because the rest of the organization have been told not to, too.

45 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I just don't think there's a treasure trove of material sitting around in a vault just waiting for release. I think there's a bunch of potential tunes for Duff and Slash to work on, but I just can't find a solid reason why Axl would have released Absurd (with one verse) and Hard Skool untouched from a vocal perspective, unless there was nothing else to use.

Some arguments:

- Are you using lack of perceived rhyme and reason as an argument? This is Axl we are talking about, you are aware of that?

- Could it be that your own feelings of these songs make it harder for you to understand why they were released? Maybe Axl thinks these are perfect GN'R songs to release in 2021?

- Axl's artistic choices are impossible to understand for me. Why did he cut away verses on Absurd? I have no idea. Why did he sing like Dracula on Sorry? Why do he plaster movie samples over so many songs? I don't know. Why did he want more reggae? Beat me. Why did he this and that and this and that? No idea. But his artistic choices aren't really an argument for why more music don't exist.

- Yes, he didn't re-record new vocals. Maybe he thought he had already created perfect vocals for the songs? Maybe people around him argued that he shouldn't record new vocal takes (for obvious reasons)? Maybe he is too lazy? Regardless, this has no bearing on whether other songs exist.

- The reason why Absurd and Hard Skool were chosen could be that they were among the first written in the CD era and he wants to release music chronologically. 

- The reason why Absurd and Hard Skool were chosen could be that they had already been leaked and then it was less of a spectacle to release them now as a fun thing to do while touring.

- The reason why Absurd and Hard Skool were chosen could be that Axl, for unknown reasons, just think these are perfect to be released now.

It could be none of these reasons or all of them or a mixture of some. My point is, there are valid possibilities for why we got Absurd and Hard Skool this year without having to retort to believing people have lied about what exists.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, betterman said:

The main reason why Absurd and Hardschool was released and not some of the unknown tracks? 

I believe there has been a large demand for Hard School to be released amongst fans, it was well received from the leaks and is generally a tune that fits with Slash and Duffs input. 

Absurd is b-side material and is exactly what it is - its the b-side to the single Hard Skool.

This seems more plausible then anything else. Even if the next two singles to release are "Atlas Shrugged" and "Perhaps." It doesn't mean there isn't anything else in the vault with vocals. It just means they're releasing what has already leaked since it's out there. 

• Like 1

Wish they released the re-worked OMG, perhaps under a different name like with what they did with Silkworms. 

It would be a decent B-side to Perhaps. Atlas would be a good B side to a stronger song, IMO. Zodiac 13 as a single with Atlas as the B side.

Edited by Sweersa

16 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Re: Bumblefoot stating there’s a lot of material that’s 80-85% finished.

Can someone post the exact quote? Because it sounds to me like that extra 15-20% that was yet to be finished is Axl’s vocal.

In which case, Bumble’s take probably only confirms what I believe: the usable vocals remaining are the ones we’ve heard. Atlas, Perhaps, State of Grace.

And that ain’t good.

Somebody understands!

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I posted the link to the qoutes in a previous post. 

They were 80-85% finished recording-wise, according to Bumble, but he also suggested some where more finished and some less. Specifically he stated he and Frank would be recording. It is not unlikely at all that some didn't have vocals. 

I can't believe you're actually for real with this statement.

Surely you understand what 80% finished means?

It means music recorded.

He is basically talking about the Village Instrumentals plus a handful of others.  None of which Rose has completed vocals too, apart from Silkworms, HarSkool, Atlas, Perhaps, General and OMG. 

13 hours ago, Towelie said:

Or Axl knew these songs leaked and decided to put the leaked material out first? Tbh, that makes a lot more sense to me than your rationale.

Why did he put so-so material like Riad and IRS on Chinese in 2008 when he had great stuff like Hard Skool and Perhaps in the can? Because those songs had leaked and he didn't wanna waste them. 

If he had a batch of good material, Silkworms would have been in the bin where it belongs.

He has little to nothing, so he needed it.

HardSkool - someone made a good point earlier.  It has x2 verses and the chorus repeated 5 times, with an into that seemed to come from something completely different (now removed).  It sounded like a demo, an idea, almost complete with the intention to finish up.  And it's about the same level as IRS.

They have labored over utter, utter garbage like Silkworms, OMG, Catcher, Atlas, Riad, Scraped, If The World and pure mediocrity like IRS, Shacklers, CD, HardSkool etc for so long.  Do you honestly think there is anything of interest being held back?

I know The General may sound interesting, but the odds are strongly suggesting it will be average filler.

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not assuming anything. I didn't say or assume anything about how many of these songs have vocals. It was only a comment as to how much music existed back in 2007.

In fact, in a more recent post, just above here, I said, " It is not unlikely at all that some didn't have vocals".

You've used this as the basis that Axl has more songs though.

Loads of music exists.  They all submitted instrumentals.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

What do you think he's gonna say??  "The band keep writing songs for me but I won't write lyrics or sing them?"

The songs he is referring to are Atlas, Silkworms, OMG, Perhaps, Hardskool, General and then others he nearly finished like State of Grace, Quik Song, Elvis (if he even sang it), Eye on You, Nothing.

That's the 'second half of Chinese' he is referring to.

Oh, and KOHD.

3 hours ago, Manfisman said:

You don't understand. Axl didn't go to any studio after 99, and asked everybody he knows to lie for him. Bumblefoot, Fortus, Tommy, Bach, Slash, Duff, you name it. It's all a conspiracy. He truly believes the next KOHD will blow people minds.

/pele off

I know you're making a joke here, but this is almost exactly how it's gone down - outside of a small amount of recording on 05-06.

Do you actually believe you'll hear something new?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

This seems more plausible then anything else. Even if the next two singles to release are "Atlas Shrugged" and "Perhaps." It doesn't mean there isn't anything else in the vault with vocals. It just means they're releasing what has already leaked since it's out there. 

And what about when they release Atlas and Perhaps - and absolutely nothing else?

How many years do you think will pass by before you accept the reality?

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Wish they released the re-worked OMG, perhaps under a different name like with what they did with Silkworms. 

I think if they plan on releasing more material, the above is an almost certainty.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, if we trust Axl

Is this a serious statement?

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What exactly did you disagree with in what I wrote? 

The fact that you've been alluding to these 30 'confirmed' songs by Bumblefoot, and you just mention they are 80% done!

Read between the lines there.  What part do you think is unfinished.

Edited by Pele